Apple among those considering rival bid for Yahoo?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

I can't see why Apple would want to buy Yahoo? Apple is already working with Google for a certain number of solutions and they already have their .mac service. What are the benefits to Apple in buying Yahoo?

Largest free webmail service

Advertising

Good Groups structure

Messenging

Advertising

Web Hosting

Mobile Searching

Music

Sports/News/Biz/Finance portals

Shopping Infrastructure

Apple's not even close to offering a fraction of what Yahoo has. The question is is Apple up to the challenge of such integration? I think Yahoo is a little "fat" with 13k employees.
  • Reply 22 of 88
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Largest free webmail service

Advertising

Good Groups structure

Messenging

Advertising

Web Hosting

Mobile Searching

Music

Sports/News/Biz/Finance portals

Shopping Infrastructure

Apple's not even close to offering a fraction of what Yahoo has. The question is is Apple up to the challenge of such integration? I think Yahoo is a little "fat" with 13k employees.

Some of this would be seen as duplicating Apple's efforts, so I can see some getting the chop, if Apple does buy. At the same time I hope that Apple does not take a .mac approach to Yahoo.
  • Reply 23 of 88
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If MS can bid for Yahoo, then Google can - Apple needs to take over Adobe not Yahoo!
  • Reply 24 of 88
    Yahoo! is in a death spiral. Their unique feature, the Internet Directory (an alternative to a search engine) has fallen into disrepair. Everything they do is done equally well or better elsewhere.

Letting Microsoft blow almost ALL of their cash for a dying company would be one of the best things that could happen for Apple.

I use some Yahoo! services, and one thing I have noticed is that almost every "upgrade" has made the service harder to use and less useful. Attaining Microsoft's definition of "upgrading" (bigger, fatter, more difficult and less useful) seems to be Yahoo!'s (how 'bout that punctuation!?) natural arc.

Apple should stay out of this except for driving up the price to make evil incarnate (Microsoft or Rupert Murdoch) overpay for this obsolete pig!!!
  • Reply 25 of 88
    Whoever buys Yahoo is getting a mess.

For that reason I hope it's Microsoft.
  • Reply 26 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Sounds like somebody just got their eyeballs opened.

They most certainly were opened. I've read some bizarre things on the internet but I never thought I'd read something so "back-asswards" as that without an attending " j/k" or some laughing emoticon. I sometimes forget that a rudimentary education isn't a prerequisite for using the internet.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If MS can bid for Yahoo, then Google can - Apple needs to take over Adobe not Yahoo!

Adobe's close to being as "fat" as Yahoo. Though they have stellar products in the CS Suite and PDF.

Yahoo isn't worth the 40+ Billion IMO. Apple's chintzy when it comes to acquisitions.
  • Reply 28 of 88
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I agree.

Look at the POS that office 2008 has become.

Apple need the Adobe apps to keep MS developing for the Mac. The prospect of Apple doing to CS3 what MS did to office 2008 could help keep MS honest.

Either way Apple cannot afford to let such a thing happen to CS3.
  • Reply 29 of 88
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Either way Apple cannot afford to let such a thing happen to CS3.

I bet that Apple has a Photoshop competitor ready for market just in case of something like a Microsoft buyout of Adobe. I don't want Apple to buy any other company - but I agree that they should put in a fake bid to force M$ to pay through the nose for Yahoo.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I bet that Apple has a Photoshop competitor ready for market just in case of something like a Microsoft buyout of Adobe. I don't want Apple to buy any other company - but I agree that they should put in a fake bid to force M$ to pay through the nose for Yahoo.

Then more of a reason to buy up Adobe and combine the two apps into the best CS ever written. The mere thought of Apple owning Flash, PS, and PDF makes me tingle. The could also take the good parts of Aperture, the good parts of Lightroom and combine them to make a "killer app".
  • Reply 31 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They most certainly were opened. I've read some bizarre things on the internet but I never thought I'd read something so "back-asswards" as that without an attending " j/k" or some laughing emoticon. I sometimes forget that a rudimentary education isn't a prerequisite for using the internet.

Thats an awfully biting comment to make without anything to back it up. Would you like me to explain it to you more slowly?
  • Reply 32 of 88
    Quote:

Then more of a reason to buy up Adobe and combine the two apps into the best CS ever written. The mere thought of Apple owning Flash, PS, and PDF makes me tingle.

Does sound enticing. I say take the apps and gut them over the next 5 years.

Yahoo becomes the portal to go to for Web 2.0 and HTML 5/WHATWG hotness. For Adobe you go deep into the bowels of the apps and insert a unified core that is heavily threaded for total responsiveness. You then build out leveraging the GPU when you can for the heavy lifting and stellar interaction between the applications.

Then you take over the world.
  • Reply 33 of 88
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:

If anything they should be looking at the purchase of a phone company

As for a PS replacement ? here's hoping. Of course, no replacement is needed if they purchase Adobe, and this makes a bit more sense.

Why mess with Yahoo, when you seem to be getting along with Google, unless or course, this getting along is costing them dearly?

Skip
  • Reply 34 of 88
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Perhaps they do. But PS is very entrenched in it's market.

It will be difficult for anybody to unseat PS in that arena.
  • Reply 35 of 88
    Suicide in a buyout scenario.

Intelligent and constructive in a partnership/investment scenario.
  • Reply 36 of 88
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Phase 1. Buy Yahoo

Phase 2. ????

Phase 3. Profit!
  • Reply 37 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

Phase 1. Buy Yahoo

Phase 2. ????

Phase 3. Profit!

Phase 2. And then a miracle occurs.

• Reply 38 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Letting Microsoft blow almost ALL of their cash for a dying company would be one of the best things that could happen for Apple.

How much cash does MSFT have?
  • Reply 39 of 88
    Apple buying Yahoo is just not going to happen, makes for a great rumour though

Yahoo understand search whereas M$ do not, so you can guarantee if they buy Yahoo, they'll fiddle with it, break it and it'll be back to square one. They'll then try to buy Google.

If Yahoo can't beat Google then M$ have no chance.

Just shows you when you have Zillions in the bank you really start to believe your own BS.

M$ tries to bury anybody it can't buy, Apple and Google are a few which spring to mind but they've failed.

Apple and Google have one main ingredient that M$ have never had, their cool brands. Google buys YouTube it's still cool, M$ buy Yahoo and rename it DownTheTube.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    No way Apple is interested in Yahoo. Yahoo is big into advertising and it's not part of Apple's ethic to enter into the realm of marketing/advertising anything except their own products. Microsoft has offered far above the share price for a dying company...let them waste $40 Billion on it.