Rumor: possible Apple event brewing for late February

Comments

• Reply 61 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

...Seriously they need to stop the hemorrhaging fast- yesterday AAPL @ $119?????

Less than one year ago it was at $83... so, you've increased your value by 50% in a year? That actually seems like a pretty good investment to me.

If you bought it when it was at 180?... well, that's the game if you're doing short-term trading. Just sit back and relax for a year or so and I'll bet you come out ahead.
  • Reply 62 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

For most uses, the iMac is overpowered. Being an All-in-one machine is probably an issue too - companies can't (economically) use existing monitors and they're harder to fix as they're more compact than standard workstation.

Right-on on all counts.

They're too expensive because they have wifi, bluetooth, a very nice screen, a stupid/expensive mouse, an expensive keyboard, firewire, nice speakers, a remote control, a nice video card, and a fancy industrial design. All of those are frivolous wastes of money for the corporate world. Every time a company buys an iMac, they are wasting a lot of money on all that junk that a isn't necessary for an employee to be able to send e-mail and do word processing (which is all most people really do). And if only some employees have iMacs, then that cool design and all those other nice features are just going to make other employees jealous. That is not a minor consideration in petty-but-ubiquitous office politics.

The built-in screen is just awful for corporations. It means that every time a computer dies, you have to throw out a monitor (and all that other stuff) for no reason. And it also means that every time a monitor dies, you have to throw out a computer for no reason. And it also means that if either one just needs repair, both have to be substituted until the repair is complete.

And yes, the compact design is a real minus too. It is nothing but a hinderance to a workbench that is trying to process as many computers as quickly as possible.

As for the Mac mini; except for the built-in screen, the keyboard, the speakers, and the graphics card, it has all the same detractions for business. Especially since the one thing corporate IT is likely to do is buy minimal installed RAM and then post-install more from a cheaper source. Installing RAM in a mini is not at all efficient.
  • Reply 63 of 117
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member

Sexy!

And then they could make the new consumer MacBook also in aluminum with white (non-backlit) keys and have the aluminum cases anodized in several different colors?
  • Reply 64 of 117
    An unusual number of video sources could pertain to how Apple likes to use large lcd screens (rotated vertically) for building giant iPhones. So maybe a large installment of giant iPhones?

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding "video sources"?
  • Reply 65 of 117
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Now that's totally distorted and warped. No where did I configure a model to inflate it to a higher price as you just have. I used the off- the- floor priceing. And if my point is that too many Apple products lately are a too high a price range, than so be it, I am certainly not the only one saying this. Apple needs to release more products that are more affordable to more people and not luxury items such as the MBA is. That's one reason why it's at $119 yesterday.

Fine if you don't like that, how about it's like saying "we just got the $4400 Mac Pro" That's the base mac pro with the top end processor. You're taking a premium upgrade that few will choose and characterizing it as a representative price.

That's distortion, any way you slice it.
  • Reply 66 of 117
    [QUOTE=Wildguess;1212256

Paul and Ringo are there to announce The Beatles entire catalogue now available on Itunes.

[/QUOTE]

Plus the catalogue will come on a special-edition Beatles iPod; the big question is which one? My guess is a new iPod Touch that has a slightly larger form-factor than the current Touch, with two buttons on either end. Other announcements: Touch games and (if there is a tablet instead of just a wifi portable media player, Touch versions of iLife and iWork).
  • Reply 67 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Less than one year ago it was at $83... so, you've increased your value by 50% in a year?

The real number to watch wrt AAPL is the close on April 9(?), 2007, a year previous to this year's stockholder's meeting. SJ likes to quote the year-ago price and today's price just before he headed onto the stage (provided the stock is up).
  • Reply 68 of 117
    wjhmhwjhmh Posts: 55member
    I'd say new dust cloth, version 2.0 to clean the mighty mouse.
  • Reply 69 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WJHMH View Post

I'd say new dust cloth, version 2.0 to clean the mighty mouse.

More like blow-torch 2.0 to melt that "thing" out of existence. I'm beginning to think that's why Apple is working so hard on Multi-touch, cause they can't do mice
  • Reply 70 of 117
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

So how exactly do you come to the conclusion that a tablet is going to be released?

This has to be one of the biggest fanboy pipedreams around.

Cool, but just won't happen.

I'm going to enjoy watching you squirm as you attempt to eat those words. I can see you with a bottle of ketchup in hand.
  • Reply 71 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I'm going to enjoy watching you squirm as you attempt to eat those words. I can see you with a bottle of ketchup in hand.

What rational speculation do you have to think a Tablet will be released?

My reasoning is, since we've already had one new category device released recently Apple will not be releasing any new notebook categories for some time. Especially one that will be another expensive, secondary machine alternative.
  • Reply 72 of 117
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

More like blow-torch 2.0 to melt that "thing" out of existence. I'm beginning to think that's why Apple is working so hard on Multi-touch, cause they can't do mice

Their Mighty Mouse isn't that bad.
  • Reply 73 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

No, it's not, especially when you hold it the right way.
  • Reply 74 of 117
    danukdanuk Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What rational speculation do you have to think a Tablet will be released?

My reasoning is, since we've already had one new category device released recently Apple will not be releasing any new notebook categories for some time. Especially one that will be another expensive, secondary machine alternative.

Boo! Boo! Let us dream. I have cut up my Keynote Bingo card and turned it into a flip calender. This month is the MiniTablet/iPhone+; March is MacBook Pro; April(fools) is the xmac.
  • Reply 75 of 117
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No, it's not, especially when you hold it the right way.

Actually, It's OK, but my complaints have nothing to do with how it's held.
  • Reply 76 of 117
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I've already had to return it 2 times over a year as the down scroll sticks and dies. I've tried cleaning it with a Qtip and Fantastic but it never scrolls down easily. Up is no problem.

Fortunately, Apple does have a great return policy.
  • Reply 77 of 117
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    [QUOTE=Flounder;1212451] You're taking a premium upgrade that few will choose and characterizing it as a representative price.[QUOTE]

No I am stating it as a price.

You are interpreting it as a representative price. There is a difference.
  • Reply 78 of 117
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    [QUOTE=teckstud;1212504][QUOTE=Flounder;1212451] You're taking a premium upgrade that few will choose and characterizing it as a representative price.
    Quote:

No I am stating it as a price.

You are interpreting it as a representative price. There is a difference.

True, you are stating a price. Anyone can state a price.

You are, in addition, presenting it as representative.
  • Reply 79 of 117
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Nobody has mentioned the new LED displays. Oh god, please let it be new displays. 4 years between updates is insane. I just hope they aren't stupid and make them glossy. Creative pro's need a good solution here.
  • Reply 80 of 117
    Might mouse is a dick hole design.