MacBook Pros running dry in the channel ahead of refreshes

Comments

• Reply 101 of 167
    Name101,

Compared to the 2.6GHz model, yes it would save you 9 watts, I got it straight off wikipedia. But like you pointed out, which I forgot about and is a very good point, most operating systems, Linux, Windows and OS X, utilize Intel SpeedStepping. That is, they vary the CPU core speed depending directly on the workload. So if you're just browsing the web till your battery runs out, I would doubt the processor ever really gets above 1GHz. Therefore making your choice of 2.5 or 2.6 largely irrelevant. But if you're pushing the processor to the max till the battery dies then yes, you would see slight increase in battery life. Honestly how much I can't say, maybe 10-15 minutes? But, you'd also possibly be getting a little less work done than if you had the 2.6GHz. I believe rendering is CPU bound, therefore yes you probably would see a slight increase in performance if you had a 2.6GHz model, I don't know if it would be 10 seconds, or more, or even less.

I think the deciding factor for me would be, am I usually using my laptop plugged in? (Which in my case is not) If so, and money was no object (again not my case), then get the 2.6GHz if you really need that extra speed.

Another good point to make, and I'm not trying to insult anyone here so please don't take it that way, is that the average consumer sees a higher core speed and immediately assumes that it is a better performing machine but this is not really true. Ever since the introduction of Hyper Treading and multi-cored chips the speed wars have been largely irrelevant. There are many other factors that affect performance including FSB speed, hard drive RPMs, cache size... the list goes on. In the end only if your application is truly bottlenecked by the CPU, will an increase in core speed make a real tangible difference.
  • Reply 102 of 167
    but also getting the 2.6GHz will allow some gaming headroom. but then again it will come down to price. depending on how much this 0.1GHz will cost. if it is only $200.. i personally dont think it would be worth the money.. but then agaim i do not know.. will apple even have a 2.5GHz as an option or a 2.6GHz as std?
  • Reply 103 of 167
    I'm gunning for 2.4ghz and 2.6ghz models, with 2.8ghz option.
  • Reply 104 of 167
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I gave up PC gaming long time ago. I decided that when my son is old enough I will buy us a PS3, Wii, or Xbox depending on which will survive in the next few years
  • Reply 105 of 167
    So when they reveal if they are being released tomorrow? Midnight EST?
  • Reply 106 of 167
    They normally take the store down around 8am EST, but I don't think the MBP are coming tomorrow. I think maybe that the rumored event next week!
  • Reply 107 of 167
    I'm thinking the next laptops will support add-in or built-in cellular modem cards similar to Apple's early Airport cards, either in AT&T and Verizon flavors, or unlocked. I guess Apple could even support both GSM and CDMA in the same card, like the Blackberry 8330 does.

The thought came to me when I read that, as soon as Tuesday, Verizon might announce relaxed broadband access rules, this on the heels of similar adjustments by AT&T. Coincidence...?
  • Reply 108 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I'm thinking the next laptops will support add-in or built-in cellular modem cards similar to Apple's early Airport cards, either in AT&T and Verizon flavors, or unlocked. I guess Apple could even support both GSM and CDMA in the same card, like the Blackberry 8330 does.

I say it won't be happening because the most useful application for a notebook is the MBA and it has diddly-squat for internal cellular cards.

If the US, Apple's main focus, was all GSM or CDMA I think they would have been one of the forerunners of cellular integration.
  • Reply 109 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

The thought came to me when I read that, as soon as Tuesday, Verizon might announce relaxed broadband access rules, this on the heels of similar adjustments by AT&T. Coincidence...?

I'm with solipsism on this one. The MBPs do not need a refresh to support cellular modems ... you can stick one in the PCMCIA slot today. Apple evidently doesn't see enough demand there to offer their own, so why would they build it in?

As for the MBA, you can bet that there's not a cubic mm of space un-spoken-for in that. Maybe the second or third generation will manage to shrink things some more so that there's room for more wireless capability than it has now; but that's going to be a ways off.
  • Reply 110 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

When, then? When will they come?

At this point you could tell me that Apple became the first technology company to independently launch a successful mission to the moon and that the vessel was maned by apes and my response would be, "Uh huh, okay, great. I DON"T GIVE A DAMN BECAUSE THEY STILL HAVEN'T UPDATED THE MACBOOK PRO!"

2-4 WEEKS AFTER THE SDK EVENT? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? THAT IS WAYY TOO LONG DUDE.
  • Reply 111 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wk127001 View Post

Solipsism,

Well I thought I had a decent train of thought going there. If it was lacking in rational, then I apologize and will do better in the future to elaborate my thoughts.

(snip)

Also to address the heat issue, I would have to agree with you 2.8GHz would put out quite a bit of heat, which could make the laptop uncomfortable. Though if I had to guess the processors themselves are not any hotter than those that are used in any other notebooks, Dell, HP what have you. The aluminum of case instead conducts the heat much more effectively than a plastic one, making the laptop feel hotter than it actually is, and furthermore Apple engineering might have even counted on that fact to better cool the CPU. Actually, I would be willing to money on that. Peace.

I agree the 2.5GHz model will be the best compromise in terms of power and battery performance, in addition to value-for-money.

While caching may make things more efficient, I believe the new SSE4 extensions will be of most benefit for graphics and video producers. Indeed, I read in an article that SSE4 enabled applications can boost performance into the double-digit territory.

YipYipYipee
  • Reply 112 of 167
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tgl View Post

I'm with solipsism on this one. The MBPs do not need a refresh to support cellular modems ... you can stick one in the PCMCIA slot today. Apple evidently doesn't see enough demand there to offer their own, so why would they build it in?

You meant to say, "You can stick one in the ExpressCard/34 slot today."
  • Reply 113 of 167
    MacBook Air should be renamed MacBook Dongle since everything that could be utilized through an Express34 cardslot, can't.
  • Reply 114 of 167
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CDonG4 View Post

MacBook Air should be renamed MacBook Dongle since everything that could be utilized through an Express34 cardslot, can't.

So don't buy an Air.

WTF does that have to do with the (hopefully) impending MBP refresh/speedbump?
  • Reply 115 of 167
    AppleStore is DOWN... Here comes the refresh...
  • Reply 116 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post

AppleStore is DOWN... Here comes the refresh...

Nope. MBP is unchanged.

So sad.
  • Reply 117 of 167
    I think we're going to be waiting a good while before a refresh. I'd be surprised if it was within this month.
  • Reply 118 of 167
    Sorry, guys, but you're not listening.

The special event is next week, not today.

7 days to go.
  • Reply 119 of 167
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    There is no confirmation for the event so far. One week in advance we should have one. It is a media even after all, not a super-secret event!
  • Reply 120 of 167
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Sorry, guys, but you're not listening.

The special event is next week, not today.

7 days to go.

That event, if it is real, will be for the iPhone and iPod Touch SDK. Not the MB or MBP.