Apple introduces Penryn-based MacBooks and MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 321 of 423
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Ack!! They removed the Enter key??

I use Maya, and Maya makes a distinction between Enter and Return.

What do you do if you need to hit Enter and not Return?

Just in case there's anybody using Maya who cares, I went and took a look at the new MBP.

The "enter' key has indeed been replaced by "option". But if you hit fn-Return, you get an "Enter". So it's all good
  • Reply 322 of 423
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

When is Apple going to make the hard drive in the MacBook Pro easily accessible?

When is Apple going to put an LED backlight on the MacBook?

I'm waiting.

That is all.

You want to buy one of each? Awesome.

Thing is, since people replace a hard drive maybe once in 3 years (for most people it's never), positioning it for easy removal isn't on the top priority list when there are many other design constraints like ventilation, thickness, EMI, etc.

Are you really serious that fast replacement of the hard drive is what's keeping you from buying a MBP? I don't think you're actually in the market anyway.

This is why those "customer surveys" mentioned by Mr H don't work - if you ask people what it would take to get them to switch, they will all say some silly thing like "OMG if it only had a Multi-Card Reader I would be all over it", but when it comes time to buy, you find out that was all hot air - they aren't buyers anyway.
  • Reply 323 of 423
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themachines04 View Post

Has anyone had their MBP shipped yet? I ordered mine yesterday morning and then last night I received an email saying my order had been shipped and I was really surprised it went through so quick. Later on that night, I read my email again and it turns out that the only thing that was shipped was the sleeve that I also ordered for it \

I don't know about shipping orders, but I did see them in an Apple store in person today.
  • Reply 324 of 423
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Thing is, since people replace a hard drive maybe once in 3 years (for most people it's never)

I upgraded the HDD in my MacBook to a 7200 rpm device, and since then have had to get at it several times as I've had two break on me (the original and its replacement, fingers crossed this one holds out), so the easy access has been a real boon.

Quote:

positioning it for easy removal isn't on the top priority list when there are many other design constraints like ventilation, thickness, EMI, etc.

They manage it with the MacBook, and that's a smaller machine than the MacBook Pro.

Quote:

This is why those "customer surveys" mentioned by Mr H don't work

I don't recall mentioning any "customer surveys". In fact it was during the debate about the combo drive stupidity that you talked of Apple "having data". I then responded to point out that I didn't think so, because those being driven away by the combo drive stupidity weren't walking into an Apple Store in the first place (something which you later agreed with), so if they aren't coming to Apple in the first place, Apple can't possibly know how many are being driven away.
  • Reply 325 of 423
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

They manage it with the MacBook, and that's a smaller machine than the MacBook Pro.

While it has a smaller screen to match the footprint, the MB is 9% thicker than the MBP, has a smaller battery to power it's smaller mobo, with less power and data intensive features, a slower CPU speed limit, and it lacks a dedicated GPU, ExpressCard slot and many ports that the MBP has.

It's not a good comparison.

Furthermore, we see a lot of great photoshops on this site and others. Some are very creative and sexy but most still have many underlying issues that that would make them less than ideal for a production model, and I'm thinking only of the aesthetics. Apple has a much harder situation as it has to consider all the internals and the physics involved for powering, cooling, repairing and manufacturing their machines. I think they do a fantastic job and its why we don't see many photoshopped devices from other OEMs.
  • Reply 326 of 423
    I realize there's a lot of frustration from people who were looking for a completely redesigned mbp but it seems kind of ridiculous from a business perspective since they just released the macbook air - no sane company would make a move like that

From my perspective, I was really excited for this upgrade because I was planning on buying a mbp this weekend when I heard there might be an upgrade tuesday. By waiting, I got a better processor, hard drive, touch pad, and graphics card for the same price I would have paid this weekend. Doesn't seem like a raw deal to me. Also, I'm upgrading from a 3 year old 17'' Dell Inspiron so there's definitely no way for me to go wrong haha. I guess I understand Mac enthusiasts being frustrated but since I've never had one I'm perfectly content to have the same old look since it's better than any PC. I'll be using for engineering stuff for the next 3 years anyways so I'm not exactly concerned with aesthetics.

Can't wait for it to ship!!
  • Reply 327 of 423
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Dude, you'll love it !

I've been on a Mac for a long time but still have to work on pc's every now and then - the freak'n malware and anti virus and phishing and all that sh!t ... dealing with it, uggghhh.

<and don't someone chime in with the - "you don't know what you're doing" routine.>

BS - it's an ongoing battle on Windows.
  • Reply 328 of 423
    Good day

All right, after getting over my minor disappointment about the lack of a new design on the MacBook Pro, I realized it was a pretty decent update. Got what I was looking for the most: A larger std. hard drive! Plus the new track pad More graphics memory is just a bonus. Great.

Anyway, I intend to buy the base model of the MBP, but I might just pay a little extra and get the 200 GB 7200 RPM HD. This is when my question comes in: Does it produce significantly more heat than the 5400 RPM disk? Remember a friend whose Lenovo laptop kept the fan running constantly after he installed a 7200 RPM disk... And I definitely don't want that. Any other drawbacks? Battery usage?

Thanks i advance.

Rasmus (who's about to get his first Mac soon! Yay!!!)
  • Reply 329 of 423
    The current crop of 200GB drives have similar to lower power consumption than the 250GB 5400 RPM drives.
  • Reply 330 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

The current crop of 200GB drives have similar to lower power consumption than the 250GB 5400 RPM drives.

Cool. Didn't think that would be the big issue either, if any. But what about the heat? There must be a few MBP owners with 7200 disks in here
  • Reply 331 of 423
    I'm willing to bet that; Thru an update, Apple could make our SantaRosa MacBook Pro's into the multi-touch track pads. These appear to be the same track pads and they already notice when there are 2 fingers on the pad. I hope they can throw out that update or I can find the hack for it.
  • Reply 332 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

I'm willing to bet that; Thru an update, Apple could make our SantaRosa MacBook Pro's into the multi-touch track pads. These appear to be the same track pads and they already notice when there are 2 fingers on the pad. I hope they can throw out that update or I can find the hack for it.

I had the same theory, but then my brother told me the chip it uses is different...
  • Reply 333 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

They are the same trackpads, but do they use different controller chips. The new MBPs use the Broadcom BCM5974 Multitouch controller chip that is found in the MBA, iPhone and iPod Touch.
  • Reply 334 of 423
    Very nice line-up... But honestly, what is it with Apple and memory?

Firstly - "Up to 2GB Standard" - if it's "up to" 2GB, then 2GB isn't standard. Standard is standard, if some MacBooks come with 1GB then it isn't standard...

Secondly - Crucial do a 1GB to 4GB upgrade for MacBook for £66 inc VAT (UK). Apple's price for the same upgrade from 1GB? £300. Plus you don't get an extra 1GB to sell on eBay. What planet are they on? Is their memory made from pure platinum?
  • Reply 335 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Very nice line-up... But honestly, what is it with Apple and memory?

Firstly - "Up to 2GB Standard" - if it's "up to" 2GB, then 2GB isn't standard. Standard is standard, if some MacBooks come with 1GB then it isn't standard...

Secondly - Crucial do a 1GB to 4GB upgrade for MacBook for £66 inc VAT (UK). Apple's price for the same upgrade from 1GB? £300. Plus you don't get an extra 1GB to sell on eBay. What planet are they on? Is their memory made from pure platinum?

1) One build comes with 1GB as the standard build and the other two builds comes with 2GB as standard.

2) It is pricey, but it's not a big deal since you can get it from other sources. Sony sells their 4GB upgrade from 2GB for USD $300. Not as much as Apple, but certainly excessively priced compared 3rd-party vendors.
  • Reply 336 of 423
    If you were to buy 2 x 2 GB (that makes 4 GB :P) for a MBP, which ones are there to go for? Any DDR2-667 or?
  • Reply 337 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rasmoose View Post

If you were to buy 2 x 2 GB (that makes 4 GB :P) for a MBP, which ones are there to go for? Any DDR2-667 or?

Use Newegg or OWC. The have the best pricey, a great return policy if by some rare occurrence the RAM is faulty and an easy guide to find teh right RAM for your machine.
  • Reply 338 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Use Newegg or OWC. The have the best pricey, a great return policy if by some rare occurrence the RAM is faulty and an easy guide to find teh right RAM for your machine.

Will this work for a RAM upgrade?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233062
  • Reply 339 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Edouble View Post

Will this work for a RAM upgrade?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233062

Yep.

OWC is a little cheaper, though.
  • Reply 340 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) One build comes with 1GB as the standard build and the other two builds comes with 2GB as standard.

still this is a little marketing artistic licence on Apple's part. But I guess everyone does that stuff.

Quote:

2) It is pricey, but it's not a big deal since you can get it from other sources. Sony sells their 4GB upgrade from 2GB for USD $300. Not as much as Apple, but certainly excessively priced compared 3rd-party vendors.

You're right it isn't a big deal. It would just make a bit more sense if Apple sold the RAM at a decent price so we didn't have to mess around with a brand new machine