Apple testing full multi-touch Macs - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm thinking more like broken different, carpal tunnel, sticky key, won't stay connected bluetooth, crumb collecting, scroller ball stuck in one direction different.

Like I said, "…the way we use them are different."

I'm thinking use = treat, maintain, clean, dirty,
  • Reply 42 of 73
    beepybeepy Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They are probably still out in the warehouse, but the mouse is completely dead and the keyboard has some bad keys plus won't connect right away so you have to wait about a minute to log in after turning it on. Plus somebody has probably thrown a leftover burrito on top of them by now.

I will pay the shipping and handling for the burrito if you'll send it to me.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    astroastro Posts: 22member
    i don't know about all y'all, but the Lenova ThinkPad with the 152" screen seems to be the best deal at $1060

if you want to get your panties in a knot, the portables should be the MacBook Touch

and the desktops should be the Mac Touch

And whats with the image of the iMac with a WIRED touch interface? Did a Windows user think of that one?
  • Reply 44 of 73
    On a more interesting note, did anybody see this, "Michael Dell shuts down company, gives the money back to shareholders

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/16844/
  • Reply 45 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Like I said, "…the way we use them are different."

I'm thinking use = treat, maintain, clean, dirty,

It is a war zone around here. Pretty doesn't count for much. Sort of like why Russian jets can land on a dirt road and AK-47s work in the mud. Where US fighter jets need smooth pavement and the M16 will jam if you spill coffee on it.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Mac touch, not MacBook touch (damn you Gizmodo)

April fool's day?
  • Reply 47 of 73
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Hopefully that "in place of traditional input methods" really means "in addition to" traditional input methods.

T_T;

Sebastian

We know Gene tends to speak from the Hooka pipe too often and it's clear that he forgot to take a break from it.

Outside of custom solutions there is no way in hell that you'd replace the keyboard and mouse/pen in lieu of this solution for general uses.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

We know Gene tends to speak from the Hooka pipe too often and it's clear that he forgot to take a break from it.

Outside of custom solutions there is no way in hell that you'd replace the keyboard and mouse/pen in lieu of this solution for general uses.

That is exactly what Steve is planning on doing. But I agree he won't fully start to replace his entire line until 2010.

But he will start to get the public used to it with interim products.
  • Reply 49 of 73
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Yes, Mac prices are comparable to PC prices for similar machines, BUT...

- There are no budget laptops in the Apple line. The starting Macbook is at around a grand. You can get PC laptops for around $400. Sure, the specs aren't very good, but most people will jump on that and be happy with a slower system than to spend $1000 on a better laptop.

- There is no economical minitower solution. This has been argued and re-argued so I'll leave it at that.

These two issues are keeping many people, who aren't as financially endowed, from buying Macs.

IF they make a mini tower I don't expect it to be a totally economical one. THe mini is the your entry level the iMac is after that. The minitower wouldn't be that cheap.
  • Reply 50 of 73
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

Yes but by then it will be wireless firewire.

http://www.1394ta.org/Press/2004Press/may/5.10.a.htm

Why not save the letters...

FireWireless it is.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

found that on average, PC desktops are priced 16 percent lower than Macs, while PC laptops are priced 9 percent lower

Since the user is forced to use Vista on these machines, the price difference should be even greater than that!

Sorta like, "We'll give you a discount since you have to use a crappier OS."
  • Reply 52 of 73
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Wow, you're a genius

I think the big revolution isn't the touch screen as in "touching the main screen to navigate it". The biggest revolution is what Apple is doing right now, exploring the new touch pad on the MacBook Pro's and Air. It's of great importance that there will be a great multitouch interface away from the main screen, that can be navigated without looking at one's fingers. Simply because looking down on your fingers all day will give you shoulders and neck problems in the short run. The move from desktop to portable had this effect already. The move from portable to tablet would take it even further. It's much better to lift your head and look forward. So this image is not so far fetched. Imagine a large surface (like on the concept image above) where you can hover your hands over it to move the point of interest pick with your fingers in the air above the surface to pick stuff and move them. Put down your fingers on the surface to type, swipe, pinch, all that stuff. It doesn't need a fancy color screen because it's not primarily meant to be looked at, it will do with a monochrome screen to shift between basic navigation layouts... Now I'm drifting off.. sorry, move along.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

IF they make a mini tower I don't expect it to be a totally economical one. THe mini is the your entry level the iMac is after that. The minitower wouldn't be that cheap.

Who says a minitower wouldn't be priced in the same range as the iMac? AIO architecture is definitely a selling point for users who want simplicity, as is customizeability for users who want that. I see no reason why the two products couldn't coexist at roughly the same price points.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Since the user is forced to use Vista on these machines, the price difference should be even greater than that!

Sorta like, "We'll give you a discount since you have to use a crappier OS."

While, I'd happily pay a modest premium for OS X (and iLife), 16% of a $1500 computer is a significant amount of money... $240 to be exact. Couple that with the fact that the comparison unit also has 3 times the RAM, a 40% larger HDD and a much better graphics card... I think the iMac in question could stand to be a bit cheaper, honestly (especially considering the iMac's RAM and HDD are likely the exact same as those being used in competing units). With the 2GB RAM and 500GB HDD options, the iMac is $1699, representing a 26% premium, or $440. That's a little pricey.

Granted, the HP d4999t isn't an AIO, but still... $440 difference for OS X and 2 fewer cables? For potential switchers who are price-comparing but don't know the difference OS X might make, that extra $440 is going to be a tough sell. Even for me, a devoted Mac-user, that $440 is a little difficult to justify.

-Clive
  • Reply 54 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

While, I'd happily pay a modest premium for OS X (and iTunes), 16% of a $1500 computer is a significant amount of money... $240 to be exact. Couple that with the fact that the comparison unit also has 3 times the RAM, a 40% larger HDD and a much better graphics card... I think the iMac in question could stand to be a bit cheaper, honestly (especially considering the iMac's RAM and HDD are likely the exact same as those being used in competing units). With the 2GB RAM and 500GB HDD options, the iMac is $1699, representing a 26% premium, or $440. That's a little pricey.

Could you spec a PC that meets the requirement?
  • Reply 55 of 73
    Quote:

Could you spec a PC that meets the requirement?

Meets what requirement?
  • Reply 56 of 73
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

No it isn't.

Like a baseball or child's mitt, a catcher's, golfer, astronaut or ski gloves, every hand and the way we use them are different.

I could careless what mstone says about the mouse and keyboard. You can pry those new keyboards off my dead cold hands. The prior model was the worst.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Maybe end of 2010 will be the launching for OS XI with full multitouch...

Seems to me like a multitouch system would need some MAJOR UI tweaks to OS X. Thats why i figure apple will go with OS XI or OS 11
  • Reply 58 of 73
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

So basically it's accurate but not very good? That saddens me because that means there still isn't any good speech recognition software then.

What's sad is the idea that a keyboard and mouse can be replaced by a touch screen on a Mac! That would create too many incompatibilities with existing software, or let's say they were to find some way to work around the incompatibilities involving mouse and keyboard support, that doesn't change the fact that the GUI as it is now is designed for a mouse and keyboard, it's primarily a cursor driven environment.

Sebastian

You've never used fingerworks products have you. The GUI doesn't need to change whatsoever.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    I wouldve liked this article to be more about apples multi-touch developments opposed to an article mainly on apples ipod and iphone affecting their consumer base and their projected stock growth. other than that Im excited to see what they've got in store for 2010 and so on.