AT&T announces iPhone 3G plans, 8 a.m. launch time on July 11

Comments

• Reply 61 of 263
    Hey Dave - I can't grasp those alternatives...

My small business uses Iphones - ATT. My family (5 people) use Verizon - since their coverage is so much better - and their pricing is better for families. What easier method than sms should i use to send short messages to my kids?

FWIW Each plan we have with ATT on the iphone costs $80 for 1400 minutes with rollover and full data with 200 SMS messages. Looks like the new plans are so much more expensive. Still no tethering either - something I could do in a pinch 4 years ago with 'Q' and treo on Verizon.

Thanks ATT - shame as I like the Iphone so much - but no upgrades for us
  • Reply 62 of 263
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

The current equivalent plans, for one phone, which is what is shown, are $10/month less. I pay $60/month for my phone for the 450/unlimited data. With the upgrade I will pay $75/month (including $5 for 200 SMS). That's it. So I save $200 on the price and pay $360 on the contract. So $160/24 months - < $7/month for 3G speeds. Worth it?

Since I don't use SMS in any case (for reasons stated above) its < $2/month more. Seems reasonable. Certainly not going to scare anyone away that actually looks at it.

Smart post. Thanks.
  • Reply 63 of 263
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

It looks like our best choice will be to avoid the AT&T store altogether and buy the iPhone 3G at an Apple store for $199/$299.

Because you want to sign up with the ATT plan at the Apple store instead?

You simply don't like interacting with ATT folks?
  • Reply 64 of 263
    federmoosefedermoose Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keda View Post

My old phone died in December, and I was forced to buy a replacement. There was no mention of this action adding $200 to my future iPhone purchase. I bought the most basic model, so that I could minimize my financial hit. I also specifically told the ATT rep of my plan to replace the phone, and was told it wouldn't be a problem.

I did the same thing, and was told the same thing. No one low-level knew that the pricing structure would change, so you weren't defrauded. And yes, it sucks that the cheap phones we bought now cost us $200, but in a world where things change (yes people, things change, stop bitching about it ? they didn't change the structure just to screw you, they changed it to be profitable) we got the shot end of the stick this time. You want to protest? Fine. Don't by an iphone. No need to whine about it.
  • Reply 65 of 263
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

No conditions on those $199/$299 prices.

We know how bait and switch works, too. I'm constantly shaking my head why people who have a vested interest are willing to overlook legalities.

What exactly do you find illegal about a presentation presented in Keynote? It's a general overview, not a legal document. The initial price has been cut in half. Apple never stated that the price would be unsubsidized. Apple never stated that the price wouldn't be tied to a 2-year contract.

It was quite obvious to most that the lower price meant there was a subsidy tied to the device. Not stating conditions on a Keynote at a developer's conference is not the same as not stating conditions at the time of purchase. The slides are pretty simple, they are not meant for excessive lines of lilliputian text along the bottom to be deciphered at a later time. Apple stated there would be Exchange support but I don't recall them stating that you would have to have access to an Exchange server to use the service.

Quote:

It looks like our best choice will be to avoid the AT&T store altogether and buy the iPhone 3G at an Apple store for $199/$299.

You aren't going to get it any cheaper at an Apple Store.
  • Reply 66 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

How were you "forced" into buying a new phone?

Then perhaps you should try to comprehend what you read.

You are certainly more than welcome to sign up for a brand new account with a 2 year plan and get the phone for $199/$299.

What's stopping you from getting a new 2 year plan as you quoted?

are you serious? I mean, really... you propose he can be successful in this world without a phone, and then tell him he should spend more money than he has to (new 2 year plan involves keeping the old plan, or canceling)? Seems like you're being argumentative for the sake of it. Trolling = annoying. Don't do it.
  • Reply 67 of 263
    jeg815jeg815 Posts: 9member
    Any idea what time Apple Retail Stores will sell the iPhone 3G on the 11th?
  • Reply 68 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What exactly do you find illegal about a presentation presented in Keynote? It's a general overview, not a legal document.

Seconded. It cant even be called false advertising because they are selling phones for that price. he said "it will be selling for $199" or something of the sort, he didn't say it would also be selling for different prices. Bait and switch implies there was a contract of sorts and then they switched the prices on you. No such things happened people. Either get a law degree or stop declaring that corporations that make profits must have done some illegal...
  • Reply 69 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

are you serious? I mean, really... you propose he can be successful in this world without a phone, and then tell him he should spend more money than he has to (new 2 year plan involves keeping the old plan, or canceling)? Seems like you're being argumentative for the sake of it.

Uh, no. He wrote he couldn't get an iPhone for $199/$299, then proceeds to post quotes on how he can do it!

How is that argumentative/trolling?

His "argument" (or lack thereof) is kind of like saying that I can buy a new car for $199 a month but wait! I already have a car payment for $199 a month so I have to pay twice as much for a new car?!?! That is a rip-off!
  • Reply 70 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kasperian View Post

I see in their "Get iReady" pdf that you may only purchase 1 iPhone per person in line. This is insane. My wife and I are current Verizon customers that have been waiting for the new iPhone to come out before jumping to AT&T. I need to get two phones (one for me and one for my wife) and there is no way I'm going to get her to stand in line just to buy a phone.

Does anyone know if the Apple Stores will have the same restriction?

This may be a general rule for the launch, but AT&T has also stated that 3 units per person is the max in an early memo. Since you and your wife are on the same Family Plan, and are not new customers, I would think you could purchase two handsets. Though I'd call your local AT&T store first to speak with the manager to verify and to potentially solidify the option verbally.
    Purchase Limit

The device purchase limit will remain three (3) per customer for iPhone 3G in AT&T stores.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I transfered my wife's Nokia GoPhone to my account Family plan last year. Now when I eligibility it says my iPhone is eligible but my wife's Nokia phone is not! Do they mean that it is not eligible for the $199 price?

That is what it means. If you are near the end date they can pull you in a little early from what I hear, but I think this depends on the CSR assisting you.
  • Reply 71 of 263
    Stop using text messages and start using email if your sending over 200 a month.
  • Reply 72 of 263
    icewingicewing Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The outrageous price bump on text messages seems highly unwarranted. I see a potential for a class action here.

Either way, I'll just abuse the data more with IMs and emails that use excessively more data just for header info.

Totally agree, except for 1 thing: class action. I can't see how having outrageous prices can qualify as grounds for a class action suit.
  • Reply 73 of 263
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    This just solidifies my decision. My wife and I will stick with our first gen iPhones and family plans thank you.

When an iPhone comes out with a video chat and/or more desirable features other then speed and gps I will reconsider...
  • Reply 74 of 263
    The new family plan rates make no sense for families with 2 phones. You'd be better off getting two individual accounts. On the low-end plans, it would cost you $10 more per month ($5 more per phone), but you'd be getting 200 additional minutes for that, AND, you could chose the $5 SMS package (200 messages), instead of being forced into an expensive SMS package on the family plans.

For some people, the new pricing won't be that much different from the old. But for others, it will be much more costly.

I was holding out to buy 2 iPhones this month, but now I will skip it. The monthly rates are just too much for too little.
  • Reply 75 of 263
    Why is it that AT&T has the highest prices IN THE WORLD for the iPhone plans? We keep reading about the prices in France, Germany, U.K., Switzerland, etc., etc. -- and there are always options for lower-cost plans, or plans that cost the same but offer more minutes/SMS.

I love Apple products. I am an investor in AAPL. But they made a huge mistake when they gave AT&T exclusive U.S. rights.
  • Reply 76 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slicedbread View Post

I love Apple products. I am an investor in AAPL. But they made a huge mistake when they gave AT&T exclusive U.S. rights.

A huge mistake for who?

The consumer maybe but certainly not for Apple or ATT.
  • Reply 77 of 263
    Note that the cost of additional minutes on all these plans is under half a cent:

.45c

.40c

etc.

I hope that someone holds them to this. They should also fire the manager that approved this, or send them back to 7th grade and learn how to use decimals.
  • Reply 78 of 263
    elffirelffir Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freeny View Post

This just solidifies my decision. My wife and I will stick with our first gen iPhones and family plans thank you.

When an iPhone comes out with a video chat and/or more desirable features other then speed and gps I will reconsider...

For someone who already has Family Talk, the difference is only $10. As it says on the AT&T 3G iPhone page: "Add a Consumer Data Plan for iPhone 3G to a qualified voice plan for $30 per month."

This compares to the $20 dollars to add an iPhone Data Plan to Family Talk last year.
  • Reply 79 of 263
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    I don't know who got bamboozled: Apple, iPhone customer, or both. Typical AT&T, sucker-punch you when you are not looking. Apple needs to become their own cellular provider.
  • Reply 80 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icewing View Post

Totally agree, except for 1 thing: class action. I can't see how having outrageous prices can qualify as grounds for a class action suit.

If this is considered price gouging then it would be a class action as it affects a large number of people and easily exceeds $5M in damages. Furthermore, since this practice is common among almost all US carriers this could be considered an oligopoly, or cartel, action to illegally keep the prices inflated.

Note: I freely admit that I am aware of the actual charges of an SMS. While the data is considerably smaller than other services there may be patent fees associated with the tech that I am not aware of. Or some other such fees that make the 160 character maximum for an SMS so much more expensive than any other transference on a cell phone. Even Skype charges 11.2¢ for a single SMS.