First iPhone 3G reviews via the WSJ, USA Today and NY Times

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    [QUOTE=thomasfxlt;1275264]

As far as ATT's network is concerned, better than most. QUOTE]

?? Then why are they listed among the worst with Consumer Reports?
  • Reply 42 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Are you still paying the minimum $45 a month for your web data plan?

And what does a web data plan have to do with bad reception on calls?
  • Reply 43 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

What is your point? What lesson?

Like metal interfering with reception-duh? The Titanium Powerbook had interference problems like how many years ago due to this same issue? Anl like the present MacBook pro is supposed to no longer be metal for the same reason?

More like why are you stating this- what's your point?

Originally Posted by Abster2core

As Jobs has already said ant the article states, "…plastic should improve reception versus the original's aluminum."
  • Reply 44 of 87
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    I don't get the battery life test while purposely leaving the wifi on, I'd still like to know some real figures for best case scenario battery life.

I have a W850i at the moment. I only turn bluetooth on when i need it, no point in having it on when its not in use. The same goes for an iPhone, especially the 3G. I'm not going to be walking around with one in my pocket with the 3G, Wifi, GPS and Bluetooth turned on. Use it as you need it and it will last longer.
  • Reply 45 of 87
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Get on it hackers!
  • Reply 46 of 87
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Zero comments? I guess nobody cares about the iPhone after all...

You only gave it 12 minutes, what do you expect?
  • Reply 47 of 87
    mutantmutant Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anderkh View Post

It sucks so bad that I've decided to not get one now... How hard could it be to separate address book and calendars? The top reason for me to get an iPhone is to go to one device, but if I can't have my personal calendars, I'll stick with my blackberry (where the battery lasts, I get 3G performance, and I can tether to my laptop).

Ken

Though not a guarantee, lets hope that a future software update or third party application will correct this. If Apple is seriously going after the Blackberry crowd, I would be surprised if the sync issue wasn't addressed. Is there a device out there that does this now?
  • Reply 48 of 87
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You're only showing your ignorance. The real properties of plastics vary, it depends on the type in question. If it's polycarbonate, it will NOT shatter. Apple has used polycarbonate on its iBooks, iPod faces and so on, I think every portable Apple device that has plastic on the outer shell. I'll see if I can get a little sheet of it and shoot a video of me trying to shatter it. It rebounds strong enough that the hammer can be a danger, and still not crack or shatter. It's quite scary.

I build a lot of things from poly and other plastics. People who don't know much about plastics don't understand how superior they are for many uses.

They can even be metal plated, and often are. One manufacturing technique is to plate them with aluminum and then to anodize it.
  • Reply 49 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And what does a web data plan have to do with bad reception on calls?

I'm just curious. When I first was looking at plans after 9/11, I saw that Sprint charged $15 for its data plan, AT&T charged $20, and Verison charged $45.

Sprint still charges me $15 for the 3G service (unlimited), AT&T charges $30 for their 3G unlimited plan. So, as you're on Verison, I was wondering if they still charged $45.
  • Reply 50 of 87
    Quote:

I'm just curious. When I first was looking at plans after 9/11, I saw that Sprint charged $15 for its data plan, AT&T charged $20, and Verison charged $45.

Sprint still charges me $15 for the 3G service (unlimited), AT&T charges $30 for their 3G unlimited plan. So, as you're on Verison, I was wondering if they still charged $45.

That's all changed- your figures are 7 years old- no? See below- they are all comparable.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...wireless-plan/
  • Reply 51 of 87
    Quote:

That's all changed- your figures are 7 years old- no? See below- they are all comparable.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...wireless-plan/

I'm still paying $15, AT&T is charging $30, we know that, so those rates aren't totally correct.
  • Reply 52 of 87
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

And there you have it- Mossberg's call in NYC dropped 3 times in a cab along the Hudson and worked flawlessly with a cheap Verizon phone. That's why in NYC us with Verizon will most likely not change to crappy AT&Fee. The choice is not merely for the phone that matters, more importantly it's the quality of the call.

Regardless of the physical prowess and features on any device (Apple or otherwise) it's the call quality stupid- IT"S A PHONE FIRST.

It isn't just in NY. It is in lots of places. I would love to own an iPhone but I do not keep a landline anymore and that means that making and receiving calls cannot be a hit and miss proposition.

I'll credit Apple and the competition they have inspired with absolutely improving things over at Verizon. I have an unlimited consumer data plan for $15 a month, and use it on a LG Dare which is a much better phone at a much better price than Verizon would have coughed up were it not for Apple.

Quote:

Are you still paying the minimum $45 a month for your web data plan?

Since the LG Dare is a feature phone versus a smart phone, it has the $15 VCAST pack option available. This allows unlimited data downloads.

I love Apple but sometimes they birth something great and just never come back and refine some of the details. They also simply refuse to indulge certain thoughts over time. They've been profoundly bad and have had loads of bad press over battery issues both with the iPod and the iPhone. I don't think they suffered too badly for it in the mp3 player market because there was no one else there innovating and also providing infrastructure like Apple does and also doing it at a competitive price.

This is not true in the smartphone/cell arena though. Here people will put out one model of the phone with a microSD/microSDHC slot and let you pick your poison there. You can often even choose between regular and extended batteries for your phone. There are several carries set up who are providing infrastructure on par with Apple.
  • Reply 53 of 87
    Quote:

I'm still paying $15, AT&T is charging $30, we know that, so those rates aren't totally correct.

Tell you what- I have to go Verizon today at lunch anyway and will ask them. It's down the street.
  • Reply 54 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Since the LG Dare is a feature phone versus a smart phone, it has the $15 VCAST pack option available. This allows unlimited data downloads.

I love Apple but sometimes they birth something great and just never come back and refine some of the details. They also simply refuse to indulge certain thoughts over time. They've been profoundly bad and have had loads of bad press over battery issues both with the iPod and the iPhone. I don't think they suffered too badly for it in the mp3 player market because there was no one else there innovating and also providing infrastructure like Apple does and also doing it at a competitive price.

This is not true in the smartphone/cell arena though. Here people will put out one model of the phone with a microSD/microSDHC slot and let you pick your poison there. You can often even choose between regular and extended batteries for your phone. There are several carries set up who are providing infrastructure on par with Apple.

I don't quite understand your post. I sort of get the point you're making, but it's too convoluted.

Also, with the iPods, battery life is almost better than the competition, and is alsways better than Apple's specs. You can see that in all the reviews.

A phone is more difficult. But then, I have always plugged my phones in every night. I don't see the big deal with that. Anything else is laziness.

I don't understand your last sentence at all. Are you comparing the cell companies to Apple? If so, don't! Apple is NOT a cell company, in case you haven't noticed.
  • Reply 55 of 87
    ckipelckipel Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anderkh View Post

It sucks so bad that I've decided to not get one now... How hard could it be to separate address book and calendars? The top reason for me to get an iPhone is to go to one device, but if I can't have my personal calendars, I'll stick with my blackberry (where the battery lasts, I get 3G performance, and I can tether to my laptop).

Ken

Sorry but when I had my blackberry I was never able to have a personal calendar or contacts. Once its enterprise activated, it synced everything to the exchange server. Now that the iPhone displays the same behavior, all phones that has activesync might've always done this anyway.

If your blackberry is enterprise activated and you found a way to also have personal calendars, please by all means let me know how.
  • Reply 56 of 87
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

I don't quite understand your post. I sort of get the point you're making, but it's too convoluted.

Also, with the iPods, battery life is almost better than the competition, and is alsways better than Apple's specs. You can see that in all the reviews.

A phone is more difficult. But then, I have always plugged my phones in every night. I don't see the big deal with that. Anything else is laziness.

I don't understand your last sentence at all. Are you comparing the cell companies to Apple? If so, don't! Apple is NOT a cell company, in case you haven't noticed.

With the iPod, Apple helped commoditize that market. If they made some mistakes along the way it really didn't hurt them because they were the market leader, they were good at sticking to the core of what the product was supposed to do, and lastly were likely to magically "discover" the importance of that feature the next round.

iPod battery life might be the best it has ever been, but it does not change the fact that Apple has taken bad press over it and somewhere along the line it still might help with that tipping point that seems to occur when a market leader suddenly becomes a market follower.

You plug your phone in every night and good for you. Do you ever go somewhere on the weekend, visit some friends and family or even enjoy a nice holiday weekend somewhere without desiring to cart along a phone charger? Many people expect to be able to do this and it is a reasonable market expectation that is being met by companies other than Apple.

You note the great battery life of the iPod and I will toss in another similar example from an "Apple-ish" company, Nintendo. I have always been amazed at how long the batteries go in the Nintendo DS/GBA. People do not mind trading slightly lower performance for phenomenal battery life, but Apple isn't providing that here. Your expectation is to plug in daily. If I take my phone off the charger Friday morning, I don't want to have to think about it until Sunday night when I'll be pondering the weekly grind. That is a very reasonable expectation for a cellphone.

You note that Apple is not a cell provider. They are also not a content provider of movies or music, nor are they an ISP. The point was that with the iPod, they helped tie together a process that was too cumbersome for most. With the iPhone they have less power due to the network and also appear to be offering fewer services due to not being able to tie it together with iTunes.

My phone has turn by turn GPS offered by Verizon. They make it as easy to use as my attempting to add something to my iPod via iTunes. Other phones on the AT&T network offer GPS built in or through AT&T. The app is either on the phone or downloaded directly to the phone via the cell network. Apple does not offer this yet even though their network provider does. Perhaps it will be offered once the application store is up but the point is that before Apple was a solution competing against a bunch of overly open, confusing, and conflicting solutions. If you bought your tune from Walmart online you still had to move it from a desktop to whatever application you used to manage your music or perhaps load it directly onto your MP3 player. It was more flexible but more confusing to the average consumer and Apple exploited that very well.

However it is not this way in the cell market. AT&T will offer to make AT&T Navigator run on any phone on their network that a company offering equipment will allow. It will be downloadable, installable and usable in a manner that is closed, but not confusing, much in the manner Apple had previously exploited with the iPod. This is true with games, music content, etc.

So to summarize, Apple is not leading a market while commoditizing it. It is already commoditized. Apple is not competing against a bunch of overly open solution providers utilizing the same network who end up crafting an overly convoluted and complicated solution which the consumer rejects while Apple offers an easy to use all in one solution. Instead Apple is competing against phone companies and network providers who insure the solutions are more limited, but also easily accessible and understandable the same ground Apple previously exploited. AT&T, Verizon, all of them insure that you can easily with the press of a button or two, get what you want on your phone. It may be for a small fee, but that is exactly what Apple was exploiting so well. You'll pay a little more for convenience is pretty much the Apple motto.
  • Reply 57 of 87
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The phone feels "perfectly comfortable" in the hand courtesy of the plastic back.

Apple confirms that the plastic should improve reception versus the original's aluminum.

The journalist is "impressed" by the accuracy of GPS, but says the phone begs for voiced turn-by-turn directions.

Audio quality is better overall, particularly the speakerphone; headphones are of course still better.

Good to know these improvements for iPhone 3G. The reception is most important part of this upgrade.
  • Reply 58 of 87
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

I don't get the battery life test while purposely leaving the wifi on, I'd still like to know some real figures for best case scenario battery life.

I have a W850i at the moment. I only turn bluetooth on when i need it, no point in having it on when its not in use. The same goes for an iPhone, especially the 3G. I'm not going to be walking around with one in my pocket with the 3G, Wifi, GPS and Bluetooth turned on. Use it as you need it and it will last longer.

I leave mine on. What do you think I'm going to do? Leave the house and turn the WiFi off, get to work and turn it back on, go to lunch and turn if off again and then back on when I get back to work and then off when I head home and then on again when I get home. Just leave it on.
  • Reply 59 of 87
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What I want to know is... when the heck T-mobile will start to offer some kind of phone... ANY kind of phone... that starts to approach 1/10th the functionality and ease of use of the iPhone. Their current lineup sucks big time.
  • Reply 60 of 87
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    The 3G phone comes with 2.0 firmware, correct?

If so, doesn't that mean that 2.0 should be released for current iPhone owners tomorrow?