Apple's iPhone 3G battery good for about 3.5 hours of browsing

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What did happen to those people? They were pretty fervent about Apple cheating them out of 3G and lying about it.

What always happens; They hope no one remembers who they were.
  • Reply 62 of 112
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Why continue complaining about the replaceable battery? This has been apart of Apple's design philosophy for seven years and it's obviously not going to change.

Don't be so sure of yourself. That "philosophy" was for an iPod not a iPhone. You can't dial 911 on an iPod.

It is a design flaw- and most of the reviewers have already said it.
  • Reply 63 of 112
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i read somewhere there is a phone case that includes a backup battery, i'll just keep it plugged in while driving and get a second charger for the office. the japanese market is so sophisticated what is the typical battery life of their handsets.???
  • Reply 64 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

i read somewhere there is a phone case that includes a backup battery

Mophie Juice Pack, but it's still only for the original iPhone.
  • Reply 65 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Don't be so sure of yourself. That "philosophy" was for an iPod not a iPhone. You can't dial 911 on an iPod.

When Steve introduced it last year, he said it was an iPod, a telephone and a mobile internet device.

So, it is an iPod which also happens to have a phone and internet device built in.

• Reply 66 of 112
    Quote:

It's not a design flaw. That's when the designers make a mistake that results in some obscure problem that results in a product that breaks, is dangerous, or has otherwise unrealised poor performance.

This was a choice that Apple make quite consciously. While it may not be best for some people, it's not a flaw in design.
  • Reply 67 of 112
    ap780ap780 Posts: 9member
    exactly what I think, I'm on my 3g iPhone at the moment on 3g and I got half battery, time to switch to wi-fi and it's an ipod cause that's what he announesed first lol
  • Reply 68 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's not a design flaw. That's when the designers make a mistake that results in some obscure problem that results in a product that breaks, is dangerous, or has otherwise unrealised poor performance.

This was a choice that Apple make quite consciously. While it may not be best for some people, it's not a flaw in design.

It's not best for corporate America to not have a replaceable battery. Leaving this out for the sake of having a completely smooth surface is a flawed design choice.
  • Reply 69 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

When Steve introduced it last year, he said it was an iPod, a telephone and a mobile internet device.

So, it is an iPod which also happens to have a phone and internet device built in.

My guess is that if Steve told you it was a toaster then it must me a toater.

It's a smartphone. Put down the iKool-aid.
  • Reply 70 of 112
    Quote:

It's not best for corporate America to not have a replaceable battery. Leaving this out for the sake of having a completely smooth surface is a flawed design choice.

what is your argument for a user-replaceable battery? Prior to when the iPhone came out one of the arguments was "how do you reset it when it freezes?" I'm sure you are have something more concrete but that one still makes me laugh.

By the way, the iPhone has a 1400mAh battery and you can get a 1700mAh extrnal battery pack for $50. a few of these don't seem like a bad deal for the few that need it.

Quote:

My guess is that if Steve told you it was a toaster then it must me a toater.

It's a smartphone. Put down the iKool-aid.

It is a smartphone, though Jobs will never call it that. I believe Apple coined the term 'PC' and then latter disassociated itself from the term when IBM started using it. I also recall Scully coining the term 'PDA'.

note: I can't find evidence to support the origin of the term 'PC'. Either I was lied to, my Google skills are slacking an/or I'm losing my mind.
  • Reply 71 of 112
    Quote:

Not really. There is no question that very few will actually find this to be a real problem. Whatever Apple's reason was, the complaint was the same for the iPods, and the first iPhone as well.

It's like anything, if it doesn't suit you, don't buy it. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons for some people not to buy it, but that doesn't make those reasons flaws either.

That's like saying that anything that doesn't fit someone's needs is flawed. Not true.
  • Reply 72 of 112
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

I remember reading somewhere that many managers and company heads bought the first iPhone... so much for not satisfying the needs of corporate America.

Went to my local cel phone shop today and talked to the manager. He said only the rare customer bought a spare battery. They did sell quite a few battery packs, however.
  • Reply 73 of 112
    Quote:

what is your argument for a user-replaceable battery? Prior to when the iPhone came out one of the arguments was "how do you reset it when it freezes?" I'm sure you are have something more concrete but that one still makes me laugh.

By the way, the iPhone has a 1400mAh battery and you can get a 1700mAh extrnal battery pack for $50. a few of these don't seem like a bad deal for the few that need it.

It is a smartphone, though Jobs will never call it that. I believe Apple coined the term 'PC' and then latter disassociated itself from the term when IBM started using it. I also recall Scully coining the term 'PDA'.

note: I can't find evidence to support the origin of the term 'PC'. Either I was lied to, my Google skills are slacking an/or I'm losing my mind.

Thanks for the info. However I do believe that it will have a replaceable battery eventually. It's more of a minus than a plus not to have it. One shouldn't have to send in their phone to replace it if it dwindles or dies and not all batteries last exactly the same life span anyway. Who cares when an iPod starts too dwindle- it's not your communication lifeline but your phone is.

What came first: PC 's meaning as a computer or Politically Correct?
  • Reply 74 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I remember reading somewhere that many managers and company heads bought the first iPhone... so much for not satisfying the needs of corporate America.

Went to my local cel phone shop today and talked to the manager. He said only the rare customer bought a spare battery. They did sell quite a few battery packs, however.

Of course you don't buy a spare battery! But when it dwindles or dies you walk into the store, buy a battery and replace it in 5 minutes- geeessh.
  • Reply 75 of 112
    Quote:

Thanks for the info. However I do believe that it will have a replaceable battery eventually.

I don't think it will happen. There are structural and engineering benefits to not having a user-replaceable battery. I do think the screws and non-soldered battery will mean that Apple Stores (and perhaps carrier affiliated stores) will be able to change the battery for you in the future. There is no need to announce it yet as the 3G is new.

Quote:

What came first: PC 's meaning as a computer or Politically Correct?

The OED dates the term 'politically correct' back to 1793, but the initialism doesn't appear until 1986. The term 'personal computer' is from 1976 with the initialism dating to 1978.

This is common as the phenomenon of acronyms and initialisms didn't appear until the 20th century, starting out mainly in the military and then later moving to the computer industry.

Quote:

Of course you don't buy a spare battery! But when it dwindles or dies you walk into the store, buy a battery and replace it in 5 minutes- geeessh.

But how many of us have had to change our batteries? I've never needed to replace a dying battery in a phone, even once, but I've had the damn battery cover require tape to stay on many phones. Disclosure: I probably update my HW more often that most people.
  • Reply 76 of 112
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Having to tape the battery cover is a real design flaw.
  • Reply 77 of 112
    Quote:

But how many of us have had to change our batteries? I've never needed to replace a dying battery in a phone, even once, but I've had the damn battery cover require tape to stay on many phones. Disclosure: I probably update my HW more often that most people.

I've had to change the battery on everything at about the 1 1/2 year point. And god knows my iPods' battery charges didn't last as long at that point in time either.

Same with my iBooks- but I could replace those easily. See Apple can design and make that feature. Isn't that a major critique point of the Air as well?
  • Reply 78 of 112
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I've had to change the battery on everything at about the 1 1/2 year point. And god knows my iPods' battery charges didn't last as long at that point in time either.

Same with my iBooks- but I could replace those easily. See Apple can design and make that feature. Isn't that a major critique point of the Air as well?

Trading annecdotal evidence. I've had a PowerBook since 2003. I've never changed the battery. The PB is ready for a new battery but I'm soon to replace it with a MBP. An iPod from 2005 that has no battery problems. My year old iPhone can still go two days on one charge if I don't use the internet.
  • Reply 79 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Trading annecdotal evidence. I've had a PowerBook since 2003. I've never changed the battery. The PB is ready for a new battery but I'm soon to replace it with a MBP. An iPod from 2005 that has no battery problems. My year old iPhone can still go two days on one charge if I don't use the internet.

You state the PB battery you never change and then state in the next sentence it's ready for a new battery? What am I missing here?

How often so you use your iPod?

And I wouldn't expect a product (iPhone) only 1 year old to need replacement with it's battery.
  • Reply 80 of 112
    What is the focus on the battery? If you don't like the arrangement, don't buy. As you said, if Apple doesn't make products, they don't make money. They are making products, people want them and they are making lots of money. Is there something I'm missing?

I have old iPods, one a 2G, that have never had battery problems. I have an MBA and don't care that Apple will need to replace the battery sometime in the future; it has already made me more money than it cost to buy less than six months ago. My iPhone also has a non-user-replaceable battery, but I don't care about that, either. I have had one notebook that needed its battery replaced after two years; I only replaced the battery because I chose not to replace the computer, which I used in class (on battery power) for 3 to 5 hours every day, necessitating a full charge daily, sometimes twice, which will kill any battery.

Many, many other people don't seem to care, either, because they keep buying MBA's, iPods and iPhones. It simply doesn't seem to be the drop-dead, you-gotta-be-outta-your-mind problem some make it out to be.

It seems that some people are searching for any excuse to bash the iPhone