iPhone 3G jailbreaking tool goes live

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CAHP19 View Post

does anyone know when, or even if, they plan on releasing this tool for windows?

Another reason you should have a Mac.

Sorry you still live in the stone age.
  • Reply 22 of 86
    hutchohutcho Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

Those of you that are going to use this, what are your primary reasons for its use?

Because the apps on the Appstore are BORING as hell. Apple is only interested in releasing apps that will make it money somehow or not encrouch on its business somehow.

When I crack my iPhone, I'll be able to:

* Have a shell that I can use for logging into my servers.

* Skype/VoIP/SIP client that works over whatever the hell network I want.

* A decent messenging client that works with MSN, Yahoo etc.

* I'll be able to copy files where ever I want on the device and can stop using iTunes, which is probably the worst piece of software I've ever used.

* I'll be able to use the camera as a video recorder.

* I'll be able to run emulators, so I can play old Genesis/SNES titles on the phone.

* Use a VNC client to connect to my desktop

The list goes on. These applications are also free!

Almost all this stuff above is never going to happen through the Apple Store. The iPhone is crippled by Apple's restrictions. I'm going to wait a couple of days before I crack mine, but really, I can't wait to break it free and use this incredible bit of hardware to it's fullest.
  • Reply 23 of 86
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

* I'll be able to copy files where ever I want on the device and can stop using iTunes, which is probably the worst piece of software I've ever used.

What would you consider a good piece of software that performs the same function as iTunes?

P.S. Zibri and GeoHot are also working on an Unlock.
  • Reply 24 of 86
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Worked fine on my old iPhone v1

Downloaded the boot files, ran the pwnage tool.

Selected the ipsw file for 1.2.2.0

selected the boot files

selected not legitimate and then followed the onscreen instructions to place the iPhone in DFU mode.

Then alt clicked the restore button in itunes and pointed it to the custom firmware file.

10 mins later the iPhone booted up, unlocked the network lock, rebooted and done.

Now it is the new home for my BT Broadband anywhere sim card and my son uses it now while I have my new 16GB iPhone 3G (not going to touch the firmware as there is no need, O2 is ace for me)
  • Reply 25 of 86
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Oh please dear god- grant us one non-iPhone thread today- pleez oh pleez!\
  • Reply 26 of 86
    jasongjasong Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

WIth the present app store policy, I can't just post my app for people to test - each of my testers has to get a certificate from me and it gets installed on his phone to deem it an "approved" phone for my app.

This is a big pain in the ass, to ask your testers to install software that might require a re-load of their device once they are done testing.

But it's not a PITA to have your testers jailbreak their phones to test your application, which might require a re-load of their device once they are done testing?
  • Reply 27 of 86
    fullgazfullgaz Posts: 17member
    Quote:

Those of you that are going to use this, what are your primary reasons for its use?

I need Hebrew on my 1st gen iPhone and unlock it to use it in my country where, incredibly, Apple doesn't import it...
  • Reply 28 of 86
    cmasoncmason Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

That's exactly why I have wanted a "pocket Mac" for years. Also--what if a client HAS to have something done, and you don't have your laptop with you?

Now, many of my tools will never run on an iPhone: Photoshop, Flash, and access to my whole hundreds of GB of archived project files. Yet the iPhone WILL do the trick VNC to the rescue! Mocha looks good, and TouchPad Pro looks good too (though it's not on the App Store yet). If I need to make an emergency logo change in Adobe Illustrator, iPhone + VNC will meet the need.

That seems needlessly complex for SSH, but it's a solution that would give you SSH AND more.

Yes, I saw the VNC tool, that will be very useful. However, that's a lot of overhead just to use SSH. For example, if I'm remotely logged into a server with SSH, each character I type just sends a byte or two. If I'm using VNC, the entire graphical desktop session (which happens to have a Terminal, or xterm, open with ssh running) is sent over the link. That can often be very slow, and sometimes it can hang and you need to wait. If you just need to quickly run a few remote commands, this can be a major PITA.

Anyway, I'm happy to wait for a couple weeks or so to see if someone makes some useful apps. If not, I'll be care and do a jailbreak.
  • Reply 29 of 86
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Running smoothly now. Though mobile me has yet to sync and add my data to the iPhone.
  • Reply 30 of 86
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh please dear god- grant us one non-iPhone thread today- pleez oh pleez!\

Get out of the iPhone forum then. It just makes sense you are going to find threads about the new iPhone in the iPhone forum.
  • Reply 31 of 86
    Mobile me is not working on the iPhone for me right now, at all.

I suggest you delete and do it manually for the time being. I like having contacts on my phone thank you very much.

If you too are having the same issues, turn some of these switches off and check the boxes down the bottom of iTunes in the info tab (advanced). Should tied you over until Mobile-me finally works one day.

• Reply 32 of 86
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

When I crack my iPhone, I'll be able to:

No you won't. At least, not now, not on 2.0 firmware. None of the installer apps work at the moment.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

* Use a VNC client to connect to my desktop

Also, there is a VNC client for the iPhone on the App Store and it's free.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Running smoothly now. Though mobile me has yet to sync and add my data to the iPhone.

In your Mac System Preferences under Mobile Me Sync how often is it set to sync? I ask because Mine and other's MM is working fine. In fact my iPhone will vibrate before I get an email in Mail , which is set to every minute. And Mail has my Gmail account, while MM on the iPhone is getting Mail forwarded from my Gmail account.
  • Reply 34 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In your Mac System Preferences under Mobile Me Sync how often is it set to sync? I ask because Mine and other's MM is working fine. In fact my iPhone will vibrate before I get an email in Mail , which is set to every minute. And Mail has my Gmail account, while MM on the iPhone is getting Mail forwarded from my Gmail account.

It's set up fine, I'm 100% sure. It's just not working yet in this part of the world. I'm not the only one, in fact you're in the minority. Are you contacts set to Push? Are they on your phone?
  • Reply 35 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's set up fine, I'm 100% sure. It's just not working yet in this part of the world. I'm not the only one, in fact you're in the minority. Are you contacts set to Push? Are they on your phone?

Everything is set to push on my iPhone. I have 4 other people on my MM Family account that also have iPhones new and old style on AT&T and T-Mobile that are getting their items Pushed fine. But like you said, different part of the world, which I had not considered.

I do wish that the iPhone wold save the contacts in a file so that if turned off push you wouldn't lose them all. I can see this as being a real PITA. They could at least have a popup that said "You have turned off contact syncing, would you like to delete the contacts? Yes/No"

PS: I just removed all the contacts from my Address Book and synced with MM. My contacts on the iPhone vanished. What if this was a system glitch that wasn't allowing Address Book to read m .ABCDDB file or some other issue that was out of my control? I think I having a local version of my contacts and having the option to disallow an update that affect hndreds of contacts need to be in place.
  • Reply 36 of 86
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Yes, I know what the Pwnage Tool does, that's not what I'm asking.

What will people use it for? Let me be a little more clear. With the App store out now, what will people really use a jailbroken iPhone for now? Is there a huge market for the "restricted" apps that Apple wont sell?

It remains to be seen what Apple will and will not allow to be sold on app store. So there remains the possibility of doing a jail break for me.

Now onto your question what sort of apps? How about:

A tethering app for those times when you really need to get on the net with a laptop. This is an important one even if the expectation of use is low. It is likely the one thing to cause me to jail break though if Apple or app store doesn't offer up something.

This one is likely to be a lot harder for the hackers but I'd like to see better Bluetooth support. Especially communications profiles. Frankly this is something that Apple should be placing a high priority on as it makes a huge number of apps possible.

Python. Actually an IDE that allows the running of Python scripts. This for the little hacked together scripts that everyone needs from time to time.

An app to emulate a storage device like a flash dongle. Though the more I think about it an app that could act like a mini file server would be even better. It is just a bit frustrating that I now have all this storage in my pocket but no way to replace me cheap ass USB dongle.

Support for a common file storage area. Again I understand Apple security approach but some times it makes life difficult, especially if you want to download and save data to flash.

Apps that support saving and reading locally stored files. In other words a web browser and a pdf reader.

One good work around to the above issues would be the installation of a micro web server. This would allow for the use of Safari in place of the item above.

Well that is a few items. If you are wondering about my thinking here it is fairly straight forward, the idea is to be able to access important data / documentation when out in the field away from network access. IPhone and Touch could be huge for people that work away from the desk if it can be made easy to carry and access data.

Dave
  • Reply 37 of 86
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

So, then are you saying that this will be something you will do until the Ad Hoc distribution comes out? Just something to tide you ever until then?

Sure. I can test on the simulator, and I can get friends to test on their simulators, or on real devices tethered to Xcode, but I need people with real devices and iTunes to make sure the thing works. The only way to get that, since Apple took my $99 but did not send me anything in return, is to ask them to bypass the certificate signing.

If this was just uploading to VersionTracker, it wouldn't be that big a deal. If the first version had some bugs, people would tell me and I would try again. But uploading to the app store implies that Apple is going to compile and test it, and I don't want the hassle of them finding some problem that I might have found with testers.
  • Reply 38 of 86
    Does anyone know if there is a Jailbroken app that enables A2DP? If there is, that would be reason for me to jailbreak my iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 39 of 86
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasong View Post

But it's not a PITA to have your testers jailbreak their phones to test your application, which might require a re-load of their device once they are done testing?

I'll only ask people who have already said that they used the jailbreak tool, rather than ask people to install something just for me.
  • Reply 40 of 86
    beklimbeklim Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnthebaton View Post

Does anyone know if there is a Jailbroken app that enables A2DP? If there is, that would be reason for me to jailbreak my iPhone 3G.

That would be gold!

I've actually thought about it. Shouldn't it be possible to port some *NIX AADP-profile(mac perhaps) to iPhone. Sounds easy but it probably isn't... I'm no coder so don't know how hard it is(actually installed the iPhone SDK and began atleast looking at how developing is done.