Microsoft offers first hints at anti-Apple marketing blitz for Vista

Comments

• Reply 41 of 129
    I suggest someone program a nice 3D mini-game, cross-platform of course. Give Jobs and Gates/Ballmer a Man-of-War and have them duke it out.
  • Reply 42 of 129
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 700member
    "[I] got goosebumps - just, wow," said one insider who was privy to the preview."

I'd love to see what passes for generating goosebumps in Redmond. I recall a Jobs Keynote where they hauled up one of the Office Product Managers who was positively rapturous over the fact that you could now press a control that got your Excel graph to stay on one printed page. That was the MS equivalent of a show-stopper. This was somehow the big knee-weakening reveal that was (IIRC) on the same stage as Intel iMacs, MacBook Pros and iLife 06...
  • Reply 43 of 129
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    I have Vista running on my Boot Camp partition. Seems just fine to me, although I'm not too impressed with Aero (WPF) performance - isn't the Quartz killer it was made out to be.

I really wish Apple would release new video drivers more often than every 6-8 months.
  • Reply 44 of 129
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    What they need is a periscope with an apple logo on it in the water next to the the ship.
  • Reply 45 of 129
    Quote:

What follows are a series of common questions on the part of would-be Vista adopters, such as "Why do I keep reading that Windows Vista won't work with my hardware or software?," along with answers.

Because they don't work.... duh....

Oh well... Let M$ run these ads. I'd much rather let M$ have the customers that are swayed by these ads than to add their stupidity to the Mac Gene Pool, which because of the recent swell of "switchers" has been getting a little more polluted than I like when compared to the late 90's/early 2000's.

I prefer our little world to stay a niche market and stay the innovator while everyone copies our style. I already loathe the day where we reach 10% of market share.
  • Reply 46 of 129
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Perhaps Microsoft is finding that their old advertising strategy is beginning to fade, i.e.,

Windows?you can fool most of the people most of the time.

Maybe Apple should counter with, "And the truth will set you free!"
  • Reply 47 of 129
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Because they don't work.... duh....

Oh well... Let M$ run these ads. I'd much rather let M$ have the customers that are swayed by these ads than to add their stupidity to the Mac Gene Pool, which because of the recent swell of "switchers" has been getting a little more polluted than I like when compared to the late 90's/early 2000's.

I prefer our little world to stay a niche market and stay the innovator while everyone copies our style. I already loathe the day where we reach 10% of market share.

Get ready . It might be next week.
  • Reply 48 of 129
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Why should we trust what Microsoft says about Vista when they can't even get their history right?

It is true that when Columbus consulted Spanish theologians about reaching the East by sailing west, they told him he couldn't do it. But that wasn't because they or any other well-informed person of the day believed in a flat earth. It was because they had a more accurate and larger figure for the diameter of the earth than that of Columbus and a more accurate and smaller figure for the distance the East was to the East. The journey, even if North and South America weren't in the way, was simply impractical. The ships of that day couldn't make such a long voyage. It was Columbus who fudged the figures, making the earth smaller and the East further East to create the illusion his scheme made sense. But for the discovery of the Americas, he'd have gone down in history as a failure and a schemer with a bad idea.

From what I've read, it was late 19th century freethinkers, hostile toward anything religious, as well as writers with agendas such as H. G. Wells who spread the absurd idea that Columbus discovered the earth was round. As others have noted, it roundness of the earth had been accepted since the era of Classical Greece. Dante writing Paradise Lost before Columbus has a round earth with the gravitational pull changing direction at the very center of the earth.

--Michael W. Perry, Untangling Tolkien
  • Reply 49 of 129
    I am only a recent Mac convert. I have used Microsoft's stuff from the DOS 4 / Windows 3.0 days. I was not overly impressed with Windows XP, as it seemed to be a step backwards from the rock-solid Windows 2000 (which is by far still the best OS Microsoft ever released).

Windows Vista is a system admin's nightmare come true. Coupling instability on top of incompatibility, hugely increased hardware requirements and instant loss of support for all your old tools -- it's very clear why IT shops have stayed away from Vista. I beta tested Vista for Microsoft, and I was extremely disappointed. Windows Vista shows just how poor the leadership at MS has become. It's a system that feels half-done, choppy, and inconsistent... like they glued on a bunch of pieces as an afterthought. "Aero" looks no better than some of the add-on features you could buy from software houses like StarDock, and it adds no functionality to the interface.

Vista should have been to Windows what OSX was for the Mac. It should have dropped the old programming interfaces and introduced a new, sleek, unencumbered interface. It was Microsoft's opportunity to prune the ragged branches from the code, create some easy-to-use programming interfaces, provide a VM-based compatibility layer for old programs, and finally bring the PC up to par with the Mac. But Microsoft misread what the market wanted: a brand-new Windows that could bring out real performance from incredibly fast modern CPUs and GPUs, while running smoothly and securely. The Intel-based Mac has proven that this can be done... by the right people.

Microsoft, it seems, is no longer able to produce an operating system that... well, operates.
  • Reply 50 of 129

it's an ancient lumbering target at sea!

EDIT: Not sure why, but this MS belated fuss brings up memories of episodes from Bugs Bunny

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NxkYjZVe9RE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6lKUOhvdlug
  • Reply 51 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admiral_nelson View Post

Hi guys and gals,

take a close look at that sailing ship. It has Nelson chess board pattern, and I'm sure someone can comment on the rigging and the rest of the ship's design.

Really sloppy work from the advertising agency. This is a ship from the 1800s, so people in the western world would have known the earth was not flat for at least 300 years or more. Never mind the Egyptians and others who had worked it out a lot earlier.

Proof Microsoft just follows, never innovates.

Give me a break...it's called marketing. Very few give a flying rudder as to whether the ship is accurate for the time portrayed. In marketing it's about getting the point across and it just might...well, at least for representing a time long before Disney and Carnival Cruise ships rode the waves.
  • Reply 52 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuyutsuki View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_earth#Antiquity

Great to see MS as firmly in control of the facts as ever.

Saying that Columbus was the first to suggest the Earth was round is like giving Neil Armstrong the credit for the non-cheese Moon theory?

Oh yay another trying to introduce facts into marketing that doesn't apply not only to marketing but to common perceptions. Whether true or not the general thought among people is that back then it was believed the world was not round. This is marketing people and as with any form of communication if you want to deliver a message, you put it in a form that most understand...whether it's true or not.

It'd be interesting to see how some of you would pick apart Apple's marketing if you ever took off the Apple shades.
  • Reply 53 of 129
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I am surprised it took them this long to be quite honest. It must have been very frustrating to see all those I'm a Mac ads for the MS crew. The new campaign will be great fodder for a new Mac campaign if Apple chooses to fight back. It'll be interesting, for sure :-)
  • Reply 54 of 129
    jamiecjamiec Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I am surprised it took them this long to be quite honest. It must have been very frustrating to see all those I'm a Mac ads for the MS crew. The new campaign will be great fodder for a new Mac campaign if Apple chooses to fight back. It'll be interesting, for sure :-)

Apple has been goading MS to respond for two years now. Now MS is spending $300 million to take a bite of Apple's tasty, tasty bait.

This will be interesting, indeed.
  • Reply 55 of 129
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    No one ever believed the earth was flat. The ancient Greeks calculated the circumference of the earth to a degree of accuracy that wasn't surpassed until the 19th century. The ancient Polynesians knew the earth was a sphere. All seafaring societies knew the earth was a sphere--it is not possible to navigate a ship over open seas without that knowledge. It's obvious just watching a ship come into harbor. First you see the crow's nest, then the masts and sails, top to bottom, then the hull, just as if the ship were coming over a hill--it's just too obvious that the earth is a sphere.

The only people who thought the earth was flat were the characters in a Bugs Bunny cartoon about Christopher Columbus.

As soon as they say that people used to think the world was flat, I stop listening. No credibility.
  • Reply 56 of 129
    Am I the only one that thought about Neo Office the first time I saw the ad?
  • Reply 57 of 129
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

This is a great idea! Then I could see the new "I'm a Mac" adverts . . .

The dumpy PC guy is dragged away by some suits, and he's back in moment

with a thin disguise. Mac guy asks him what's up. PC guy claims he's someone

new. Mac guy isn't buying it. In fact, he can make a comment that no one

will buy it!

Better yet, have the Mac guy and PC guy of the "Get a Mac" ad campaign and set up the commercial this way...

Have "Mac" guy on the shore and the "PC" guy in old wooden boat with a sail and the PC guy says "Mac, at one point, everyone thought the Earth was flat. I'm off to spread the facts about Windows VISTAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa as his tiny sail boat falls over the edge of a Niagra Falls like waterfall!
  • Reply 58 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RoboNerd View Post

I am only a recent Mac convert. I have used Microsoft's stuff from the DOS 4 / Windows 3.0 days. I was not overly impressed with Windows XP, as it seemed to be a step backwards from the rock-solid Windows 2000 (which is by far still the best OS Microsoft ever released).

When XP first came out I would have agreed with you but one thing that XP had going for it was the wireless features initially that W2K lacked until wireless developers finally got their drivers and software right so they could sell to that crowd something that was stable. Early in the intro of wireless it was XP that had things working best for configuring that stuff. Of course once SP2 shipped that pretty much sealed the deal on W2k. Don't get me wrong W2k was great when it first came out as it was a huge leap forward for the industry but to claim it the best at this point...I don't think so...unless of course you're just sentimental about it.

Quote:

Windows Vista is a system admin's nightmare come true. Coupling instability on top of incompatibility, hugely increased hardware requirements and instant loss of support for all your old tools -- it's very clear why IT shops have stayed away from Vista. I beta tested Vista for Microsoft, and I was extremely disappointed. Windows Vista shows just how poor the leadership at MS has become. It's a system that feels half-done, choppy, and inconsistent... like they glued on a bunch of pieces as an afterthought. "Aero" looks no better than some of the add-on features you could buy from software houses like StarDock, and it adds no functionality to the interface.

Until you specifically mentioned a part of Vista(ie Aero) this statement has been stated by sys admins just after every Windows release. I honestly feel that Vista isn't so bad for consumers where they just need a browser and email. Anyone who needs to stray further than that is where they get slapped in the face. On the admin side it's really been a nightmare. I support pc's professionally(somewhere around 450 of them) at a local community college. Much of their stuff they introduced with Vista for managing them looks great on paper but trying to get it all to work is a royal pain in the butt...poor documentation unless you buy their books and much of the software is buggy.

Quote:

Vista should have been to Windows what OSX was for the Mac. It should have dropped the old programming interfaces and introduced a new, sleek, unencumbered interface. It was Microsoft's opportunity to prune the ragged branches from the code, create some easy-to-use programming interfaces, provide a VM-based compatibility layer for old programs, and finally bring the PC up to par with the Mac. But Microsoft misread what the market wanted: a brand-new Windows that could bring out real performance from incredibly fast modern CPUs and GPUs, while running smoothly and securely. The Intel-based Mac has proven that this can be done... by the right people.

Actually MS had started on something more radical but what they found out was that it was going to take alot longer than they planned to provide an OS that could keep those juicy profits going. They were under fire about security and they saw that both OSX and Linux were actually true competitors able to take marketshare away from their desktop and server line. While Mac fanboys won't like to hear it, this was really the first time in Apple's history that they were truly executing like they should and had a product to compete. MS panicked, grabbed their Win2k3 server code and began using it instead of alot of what they had already done and called it Vista. As a business trying to keep their huge customer base and stockholders as happy as possible they made the right decision but it was made way too late in the game.

Now of course with some of my comments there'll be someone who thinks I'm some MS nutcase. They would be wrong as I've used and supported Macs for longer than I have Windows and would use OSX over Windows any day of the week and twice on Sunday in most cases. Even though I support Windows at work(desktop and servers) I recently switched my main system there and my home workstation to Ubuntu 8.04 with Vista relegated to a virtual session.

Quote:

Microsoft, it seems, is no longer able to produce an operating system that... well, operates.

It sure seems that way. It's really too bad the planets were aligned just right for them over a decade ago to get so much marketshare(much of that was the competitors'(Apple and others) fault though). The company does have good people working for them but so much of what they do with the OS now is very limited from the decisions they made back then. If Apple and MS were reversed though I'm not sure Apple could have survived as well as MS has or even would have made a successful leap to something like OSX. It's easier for a smaller company to make that break than someone like MS.
  • Reply 59 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I actually think this has alot to do with Gates. He steps down with Balmer fully in charge and suddenly they're going on the attack. Of course Apple is actually a competitor to be reckoned with now. Compare Apple to back in the 80's and 90's and you'll see an Apple that is actually executing on all fronts. Apple and others back then didn't comprehend how aggressive they needed to be while MS had that perfected except that MS is now paying the price for poor technical decisions.
  • Reply 60 of 129
    Not to put too fine a point on it... and to excuse the pun....

But Vista? That ship has sailed. Nobody cares. Reality be damned.. IT people everywhere (and the public) believe it is crap... and that's all that matters. Belief is enough.