Apple details next-gen multi-touch techniques for tablet Macs

Comments

• Reply 61 of 107
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Except I type a lot faster than I can write.

If you're so trained on it, no virtual solution would every satisfy you. However, average Joe still uses two-finger searching and handwriting recognition would be a real relief for us.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

If this catches on once again there will be a big market for secretaries.

Only that there is already quite good voice recognition software out, might even make the stylus obsolete. Except for drawing, obviously.
  • Reply 62 of 107
    Anyone else think those hands look mutant?
  • Reply 63 of 107
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Those arent hands...those are freaky claws....
  • Reply 64 of 107
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Needless to say, if you want to use Photoshop you'll get a more powerful computer than a little 10" tablet.

This tablet will be good for hospitals, schools (i.e. all your text books), a great couch computer, and a great business tablet for those who want to do "some" work on the move. You'll sync and go. Despite how much you want it, this tablet (the Mac touch) won't be meant for photoshop. Those folks who require a "large" desktop screen and computer, will still require it.

And a stylus will work better for those applications than trying to write with your finger as well. Multi-touch is a good navigation tool but it does not look like a great productivity method for data entry. Not that a Stylus can compete with what a good typist can on a keyboard but the design of the stylus was a technological breakthrough over finger painting on cave walls and the invention of the iPhone does not change that, it is a better input method.
  • Reply 65 of 107
    ET Phone Home... ET hands, with a couple of extra digits.
  • Reply 66 of 107
    Sticky fingers activated.
  • Reply 67 of 107
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guest View Post

If you're so trained on it, no virtual solution would every satisfy you. However, average Joe still uses two-finger searching and handwriting recognition would be a real relief for us.

Only that there is already quite good voice recognition software out, might even make the stylus obsolete. Except for drawing, obviously.

You mean some old farts who never took typing classes. Everybody I know knows how to touchtype, and we're all 40+. In today's world, everybody up to the age of 30 or thereabouts grew up with keyboards. I can't even remember the last time I actually saw somebody hunting and pecking on a computer.

You obviously haven't used voice recognition. It eats a lot of processing power and by extension, battery power. It's also not conducive to privacy or working in crowds.
  • Reply 68 of 107
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

You obviously haven't used voice recognition. It eats a lot of processing power and by extension, battery power. It's also not conducive to privacy or working in crowds.

For voice recognition - I used IBM OS/2 back in the days which had voice recognition build in with a Pentium 400MHz and a crappy Creative microphone and it worked quite well. I can imagine that the modern versions are more sophisticated and use more processor, but then the processor is mostly idle these days. You have to play games or heavily use some pro app (or a Microsoft producthttp://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/1biggrin.gif) to get it working.

I give you most of your points, still, people first learn handwriting and then have to adapt to a keyboard.
  • Reply 69 of 107
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

For voice recognition - I used IBM OS/2 back in the days which had voice recognition build in with a Pentium 400MHz and a crappy Creative microphone and it worked quite well.

And I've used voice recognition back with an Apple ][ and have Dragon on the computer across from me. It works okay but much slower than typing and it's annoying for your co-workers. Far more annoying than clicking keys.
  • Reply 70 of 107
    I don't have much experience with Macs, but doesn't the window bar in Figure 23 look a little different?

Update: I looked at the image a little more closely and it just looks like the scanner was a little too sensitive.
  • Reply 71 of 107
    Quote:

people first learn handwriting and then have to adapt to a keyboard.

People learn something resembling handwriting. Many people have chicken-scratch that computers would have a hard time deciphering. That includes me, unless I'm writing slowly and deliberately at perhaps 10wpm. Nobody has that kind of patience if they have a lot of writing to do. I wouldn't even want to enter a long URL longhand. Other people embellish their lettering or use script, all of which would be a nightmare for computers. I can't tell you how many forms, lists, petitions, charts, applications, etc. I've seen that say "PLEASE PRINT" yet are filled with an indecipherable scrawl. Even with two-finger typing, one can type a lot faster than writing things out. Ever wonder why Palm's Graffiti never took off while Blackberrys with their thumb keyboards are going strong?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Needless to say, if you want to use Photoshop you'll get a more powerful computer than a little 10" tablet.

This tablet will be good for hospitals, schools (i.e. all your text books), a great couch computer, and a great business tablet for those who want to do "some" work on the move. You'll sync and go. Despite how much you want it, this tablet (the Mac touch) won't be meant for photoshop. Those folks who require a "large" desktop screen and computer, will still require it.

It will run full OS X. Of course it won't be one's main Photoshop machine, but it will be able to run Photoshop for small jobs or quick and dirty work. You might as well say that laptops shouldn't run Photoshop because they don't have the full power of a Mac Pro or a large screen. I want something that can run most of the apps on my desktop. If it runs them slower, that's fine, as long as it can run them at all, which is something the iPhone can't do. Heck, even my 867MHz 12" Powerbook G4 carries almost every app I have on my Mac, and I use most of them at times. I'd just like something lighter, thinner and handier.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

I would hope that this "undiluted" version includes scroll bars in windows.

I suspect undiluted means "undiluted." Full OS X. Which is exactly what I want rather than the rinky-dink iPhone version of OS X.
  • Reply 72 of 107
    I think Apple Insider website runs by Apple. It's their channel to speculate and create some hype in tech media then push the product to the market later. It's a good tactic because it works. Big media agencies use this information to make it even bigger.
  • Reply 73 of 107
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biyibot View Post

I think Apple Insider website runs by Apple. It's their channel to speculate and create some hype in tech media then push the product to the market later. It's a good tactic because it works. Big media agencies use this information to make it even bigger.

I can assure you, AI is not run by Apple. They do their fair share of Apple-apologizing, but it isn't run by Apple.

When it comes to 9 to 5 Mac, that's a different story. I happen to think that's run by someone high up at Apple.
  • Reply 74 of 107
    virtual clickwheel for the iphone NOW ! the worst iPhone app is the iPod app... it really needs a virtual clickwheel...
  • Reply 75 of 107
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's mortifying.

Or perhaps an unauthorized use of deadly farce?
  • Reply 76 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dangil View Post

virtual clickwheel for the iphone NOW ! the worst iPhone app is the iPod app... it really needs a virtual clickwheel...

GOD NO!!!!! O.O \
  • Reply 77 of 107
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Multi-touch as all fine and dandy for a tablet Mac, iPhone, and Touch but has the old technology of voice dialing reached the iPhone yet?

The law here in Washington state requires hands-free sets and Apple is focusing too much on touchy smudgy technology. What happened to all of their voice recognition R&D. Voice dialing please and voice navigation as well as text-to-speech for reading emails and dictation for composing and sending emails.

My Blackberry will remain a must for the voice dialing feature alone.

I'd like to see Apple up the ante with the iPod Touch and offer a Skype-like app for those that have wireless in the home and could use a second generation Touch with a mic to make VOIP calls. AT&T has the iPhone locked-in so give the rest of use an alternative.

Along with the voice technologies flexible screens need to make there way into mobile device. Especially an Apple futuristic device that's main feature is video calling. I example was in the television show called 'Earth: Final Conflict' which was a Gene Roddenberry series. They had such video phone concepts and flexible e-ink screen are a reality today.

Anyway, the future is bright.
  • Reply 78 of 107
    those are what hands will evolve into after years of using such devices...

my main concern with the snippets posted is the example used for 3 key press combos. ctrl-alt-delete???? really of all combos that one? it's not even a mac key combo.

i like the macworld sketches but i think it might need a lid for protection
  • Reply 79 of 107
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    I like the idea of a Mini tablet in all honesty (as detailed in previous articles from Appleinsider). 1.5x the size of the iPhone. It could work as a Sketch Pad, Note Pad, Video Player, Games Machine, iPod,

Web Browser, Remote, Book Reader, Word Processor. But.... It could also plug in to your Mac to become a MultiTouch peripheral so you could do advanced Photoshop work, use as decks in GarageBand,

Scrub through Video in Fnal Cut etc... A complimentary device for the existing Mac platform. It would be cheaper too and Apple could sell these to iPodders and Mac Faithfuls.

That's the kind of device I want to see but everyone is different. It is strange that there are rumors/patents for a full tablet and a mini tablet.

PS: I couldn't imagine Apple tying a Mini tablet to a contract so it would need a USB port/card slot for a Mobile Broadband Dongle or iPhone tethering functionality.
  • Reply 80 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dazabrit View Post

It could also plug in to your Mac to become a MultiTouch peripheral so you could do advanced Photoshop work, use as decks in GarageBand,

Scrub through Video in Fnal Cut etc... A complimentary device for the existing Mac platform. It would be cheaper too and Apple could sell these to iPodders and Mac Faithfuls.

I suggested that a while back, since it needs to be plugged in anyway to recharge. But you wouldn't want to do advanced Photoshop work on it. Any really heavy Photoshop work demands a pressure-sensitive tablet with stylus. Trust me. I have a MultiTouch tablet but I switch to my Wacom when I'm doing precision work in Photoshop or Fireworks.