iPods, MacBooks, iMacs up next on Apple's 2008 roadmap

Comments

• Reply 121 of 204
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I don't understand the resistance to adding Blue-Ray optical drives in the next round of Mac updates.

It may be a bit 'high end' for entry level consumer focused machines like the mini and MB, but as others have stated, Blue Ray movie playback on a 24" iMac would probably be stunning. The lack of BR drives in the MBP and Mac Pro machines is starting to get embarrassing.

I know Apple would rather have me download my HD content, but I would like the availability of BR on my next machine. I think Apple would be wise to listen to its users in this regard as I suspect most would like that option as well.

I could be wrong, but I think with the Montevina chipset, this is the first time that Apple can really offer BRD as an option that will actually play and output BR Media in all their glory, not just a super-high density optical backup option.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maggot777 View Post

Remember those? Are we ever going to see refreshes to that red headed step child of Apple's?

I need a new machine but at this point feel like I should wait for the next version.

Don't buy yet. The next update should be anytime now according to previously reelases and average days between releases.
    Has much changed with the Xeons that would require to showcase the upgraded chips? Will Apple also update the look of the Mac Pro along with the Mac notebooks?
  • Reply 122 of 204
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I use the F19 key, for example, to switch to the full Spaces layout.

Looking on my keyboard for the F19 key.
  • Reply 123 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

You stick to your 64GB $350.00 USB thumb drives and I'll continue with my 50GB for $20.00 Blu-Ray purchases thank you.

They sell thumb drives in the shape of sushi, lego, real thumbs, cars and other toys you know. Maybe you'll find those features worth the $350.00 price tag.

Have fun.

p.s. You also won't be able to create Blu-Ray HD media or "back up" Blu-Ray movies with your Lego or sushi shaped thumb drive. You will however be able to join and stack many Lego shaped thumb drives together as high as you like.

how much was your burner? you don't need to buy a burner for a thumb drive.

how many friends and family have blueray drives that can use this media once you burn, every computer I know of has a usb port for a thumb drive.

there is a lot more associated with the storage outside of the cost of 1 disc vs a thumbdrive. I can also get an external harddrive with TB's of data, why not add that into your argument?
  • Reply 124 of 204
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I could be wrong, but I think with the Montevina chipset, this is the first time that Apple can really offer BRD as an option that will actually play and output BR Media in all their glory, not just a super-high density optical backup option.

Apple have had some reasons for not doing it up until now that are somewhat reasonable. But now they need to start offering it on some of their machines. It should be at least a BTO option on the iMac, MBP and Mac Pro IMO. Again the fact that it isn't even an option on the Mac Pro and MBP is becoming an embarrassment (there I backed off my previous hyperbole a little).
  • Reply 125 of 204
    And thats the other thing, the MP's have to be in for a case change... it's been a long time. The current case is great, don't get me wrong, but I think its time for an update.

But I guess they are at the mercy of Intel chip revisions, if there's nothing new to warrant a whole new computer then I guess the wait continues.

Don't buy yet. The next update should be anytime now according to previously reelases and average days between releases.
    Has much changed with the Xeons that would require to showcase the upgraded chips? Will Apple also update the look of the Mac Pro along with the Mac notebooks?[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 126 of 204
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maggot777 View Post

And thats the other thing, the MP's have to be in for a case change... it's been a long time. The current case is great, don't get me wrong, but I think its time for an update.

But I guess they are at the mercy of Intel chip revisions, if there's nothing new to warrant a whole new computer then I guess the wait continues.

Looking at Wikipedia for info on what to expect next from Intel I'm not seeing much in chip-pver-chip designs that would better the Mac Pro for the same price. It's quite possible that there is data missing or that Apple is one again working with Intel to make specialized chips. Maybe you can make a better guess as to what to expect in the next revision...
  • Reply 127 of 204
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

How many new movies do they release in a year? How many would sell enough to perform a run in Blu-Ray?

DVD is an old technology now, it is cheap to produce.

The number of blu-ray movies available is increasing, and will continue to increase

We have a saying is research that goes, "If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.

Apparently as of Aug 27, 2008, more than 780 Blu-ray Disc titles have been released in the United States. Note that not all are movies.

In comparison, more than 12,000 titles have been released on DVD since January this year alone. Again not all are movies. Note, so far a little over 955 movies have been releases in the theatres since January.

So let's put this in perspective.

Blu-Ray is a great technology. Especially for HDTV. Still the final codec is to be decided. Still very expensive.

Sure, Blu-Ray movies look fantastic on a 24" iMac. But what about the rest of the family? Are you going to log off AppleInsider and share the screen?

True, moves have been made to manufacture players/recorders in China. Prices are expected to come down precipitously. However, only a test center has been designated in China so far, and the earliest production, if approved, could only start as early as December, if at all.

Although HDTV sales are on the rise, it is still in its infancy. Same goes for content. Movie studios produce over 2000 films a year, but Blu-Ray movies are still only averaging less than 25 new releases a month. And it is not like TV, with virtually a set in every room of the house, and an abundant number of them quite capable of playing videos via a very inexpensive DVD player.
  • Reply 128 of 204
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't see what that has to do with it. The computers Apple has been selling for two years are all powerful enough for this. PC laptops have had BD players, at least, for months.

This is just a decision to not include it in the OX and in the hardware as HDCP.
  • Reply 129 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Looking on my keyboard for the F19 key.

It's above the * key on the number pad, all the way to the right.
  • Reply 130 of 204
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

There have been several news reports of how, despite the BD / HD-DVD war being over, BluRay disc player sales have not taken off as many expected.

Sales have improved considerably, though maybe not the stand-alone players. It went from less than 1% of optical disc sales last December to 5-12% ever since. Last week, it was 8%. It pretty good for a format that is, IIRC, finishing its second year pretty soon. Most media formats don't take off as quickly as DVD did, I think DVD was a record breaker in terms of format acceptance, and even then it took about five years for DVD before it was outselling VHS.

Those stories may be figuring in the stand-alone players, as I understand it, the PS3 is really taking the market for BD players even if it's not always considered to be a BD player for the sake of a story or press release.
  • Reply 131 of 204
    Looking forward to getting rid of the plastic on the MacBooks. Wouldn't metal be better wearing and environmentally greener?
  • Reply 132 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

how much was your burner? you don't need to buy a burner for a thumb drive.

how many friends and family have blueray drives that can use this media once you burn, every computer I know of has a usb port for a thumb drive.

there is a lot more associated with the storage outside of the cost of 1 disc vs a thumbdrive. I can also get an external harddrive with TB's of data, why not add that into your argument?

Prices are dropping substantially. You can get the new, and well reviewed, LG GBW-H20L for $279.99 at Best Buy. It will work just dandy with Toast.

So with several double layer BD disks, this will cost about the same as one 64Gb thumb drive (when you can find them).

But you can also buy as many disks as you like, and the more you buy, the more you amortize the cost of the drive, which also records DVD's, and CD's, so that you don't need an additional drive.

And who cares about other people here? That's an argument that's irrelevant. Most people can't use a USB thumb drive on their Tv, and most people don't want to stand crowded around someone's 20" monitor. Besides, more people ARE buying B-R drives for their video systems, even as a PS3. We have, and a number of my friends have as well.

The point to burning to CD, DVD, and BD is to NOT have to use a fragile HDD for your important data. That's not a good argument. We take our data disks, and store them in sleeves, on a shelf, and put the really important stuff into a safe deposit box. You going to do that with $350 thumb drives, or your 1TB HDD's?

No, I didn't think so.
  • Reply 133 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

We have a saying is research that goes, "If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.

Apparently as of Aug 27, 2008, more than 780 Blu-ray Disc titles have been released in the United States. Note that not all are movies.

In comparison, more than 12,000 titles have been released on DVD since January this year alone. Again not all are movies. Note, so far a little over 955 movies have been releases in the theatres since January.

So let's put this in perspective.

Blu-Ray is a great technology. Especially for HDTV. Still the final codec is to be decided. Still very expensive.

Sure, Blu-Ray movies look fantastic on a 24" iMac. But what about the rest of the family? Are you going to log off AppleInsider and share the screen?

True, moves have been made to manufacture players/recorders in China. Prices are expected to come down precipitously. However, only a test center has been designated in China so far, and the earliest production, if approved, could only start as early as December, if at all.

Although HDTV sales are on the rise, it is still in its infancy. Same goes for content. Movie studios produce over 2000 films a year, but Blu-Ray movies are still only averaging less than 25 new releases a month. And it is not like TV, with virtually a set in every room of the house, and an abundant number of them quite capable of playing videos via a very inexpensive DVD player.

I'm surprised at you. You usually put up a much better argument than this.

Bd is still new. It's arrived just as the worlds economies are going through a tough time.

The same thing was said about DVD vs VHS. People have invested in VHS, they won't buy the same movies again. Well, they did. It was also said that DVD players don't record, so people won't want them because they want to record. Well, most people don't want to record, and they did want them.

None of that matters. Despite a few wags here who think that downloads will win in the end, that end won't be for some time yet. Only when most people have true high speed connections will there be a chance for that.

Right now there is no download service that can offer anything close to the quality of a B-D disk, and we all know that.

Someone brought up the argument that not all B-D disks being offered are top material. Does anyone seriously think that anywhere near the full number of DVD releases is that top quality stuff? That's not even something that a fantasy would show to be true. The percentage of garbage on DVD is far greater that the same for B-D. Give it a few years, and that will change, if it matters to people.

As far as HDTV sales goes, here are some numbers:

http://www.parksassociates.com/press...05/hdtv-1.html

I wouldn't worry about people crowding around the monitor to watch B-D as they must to watch a thumb drive.
  • Reply 134 of 204
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Despite a few wags here who think that downloads will win in the end, that end won't be for some time yet. Only when most people have true high speed connections will there be a chance for that.

I agree with everything in your post but want to comment on this statement. I think what you've said is not really appreciated by some of the enthusiasts here who live in major metropolitan areas and are used to seeing the latest and greatest in technology (Verizon FIOS for instance). Well in rural areas such technolgy is slow to appear and may never appear. The costs involved with running fiber to the home makes such investments potentially unprofitable in rural areas where the population density is low.

With high speed broadband service downloaded hi def content looks attractive. Without it, it's really a non starter. I predict that rural areas will keep Blu-Ray around a lot longer than some people here think.
  • Reply 135 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Quote:

....None of that matters. Despite a few wags here who think that downloads will win in the end, that end won't be for some time yet. Only when most people have true high speed connections will there be a chance for that.

Right now there is no download service that can offer anything close to the quality of a B-D disk, and we all know that....

I agree with everything in your post but want to comment on this statement. I think what you've said is not really appreciated by some of the enthusiasts here who live in major metropolitan areas and are used to seeing the latest and greatest in technology (Verizon FIOS for instance). Well in rural areas such technolgy is slow to appear and may never appear. The costs involved with running fiber to the home makes such investments potentially unprofitable in rural areas where the population density is low.

With high speed broadband service downloaded hi def content looks attractive. Without it, it's really a non starter. I predict that rural areas will keep Blu-Ray around a lot longer than some people here think.

Thank you both! I can't believe the high-tech elitists on these forums who think the whole world has the kind of bandwidth coming into their house that they do (or wants to pay for it, either.) That won't be true for decades. Meanwhile the optical disc will continue to be the main source of quality video.

I hear many people saying: "So it turns out HDTV was nothing but hype!" Not all of them have me there to tell them that what they're watching is heavily compressed 720p, when they think they're getting full-bore 1080 HD. So these gearheads want to download even more severely compressed 720 p? And pay for it a la carte? No thanks!

Then there was the guy earlier who wanted to replace Blu-Ray discs with thumb drives. Never mind Blu-Ray, You can get a 4 GB thumb drive for $20. Meanwhile, I can get a DVD-R for 20 cents if I watch for sales. Until Thumb drives get down into that price category: again, no thanks!

What I'm afraid of is that this kind of unrealistic fantasy has a way of converting itself into self-fulfilling prophecy, especially in the computer business, and unfortunately I see Apple leading the charge down these roads to nowhere. I guess if they got people who have heard CD-quality sound to pay money for 128,000 bps noise, they figure Mencken's Law is still in full effect!*

*For those of you who don't know the quote, H. L. Mencken said: "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste or the intelligence of the American people." (Maybe the name should be changed to "Ballmer's Law" now?)
  • Reply 136 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Thank you both! I can't believe the high-tech elitists on these forums who think the whole world has the kind of bandwidth coming into their house that they do (or wants to pay for it, either.) That won't be true for decades. Meanwhile the optical disc will continue to be the main source of quality video.

I hear many people saying: "So it turns out HDTV was nothing but hype!" Not all of them have me there to tell them that what they're watching is heavily compressed 720p, when they think they're getting full-bore 1080 HD. So these gearheads want to download even more severely compressed 720 p? And pay for it a la carte? No thanks!

Then there was the guy earlier who wanted to replace Blu-Ray discs with thumb drives. Never mind Blu-Ray, You can get a 4 GB thumb drive for $20. Meanwhile, I can get a DVD-R for 20 cents if I watch for sales. Until Thumb drives get down into that price category: again, no thanks!

What I'm afraid of is that this kind of unrealistic fantasy has a way of converting itself into self-fulfilling prophecy, especially in the computer business, and unfortunately I see Apple leading the charge down these roads to nowhere. I guess if they got people who have heard CD-quality sound to pay money for 128,000 bps noise, they figure Mencken's Law is still in full effect!*

*For those of you who don't know the quote, H. L. Mencken said: "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste or the intelligence of the American people." (Maybe the name should be changed to "Ballmer's Law" now?)

The problem some people have, particularly on technical forums such as this, is that they take their own preferences with them to the point that they ignore the reality of the majority.

I also have my own "snobbish" preferences, but I really do try to look at what most people can do, want to do, and can afford to do. Often my posts reflect that, rather than my own views. but, often enough, my views do coincide with those larger views.

I do have a 6Mb/sec connection, it's pretty good too. But I understand that most others do not. I also understand that even a 6Mb or 10Mb connection would be marginal for true high quality downloads.

I also try not to get too concerned with what MIGHT be true at some indeterminate time in the future. We have NO idea what that future will be, and can't properly prepare for it in areas such as this.

Why give up the pleasure and usefulness of a technology now, because it MAY be possible to do it another way some time in the future?

If we all did that, we would still not be using fire, because we would be waiting for something better.
  • Reply 137 of 204
    For those of you so obsessed with B-R, get an external player for pittance.

If the MB actually does get an aluminum makeover, then I might actually get one again. I can't stand the shiny plastic MB and keep bear to keep one for longer than a few months
  • Reply 138 of 204
    Well, I see and understand the fact that the new MBPs and MBs will have a redesigned casing and will also have different chipsets. I'm going to get a Macbook Pro soon (could definitely get it within 2 weeks) and I want to know if It's really worth waiting a month or two for the new one. I see no problem with the current design of the MBP, and the tapered design doesnt really seem like a big deal. The question is then, do you guys see any new features coming out that would definitely make waiting for the new MBP worthwhile? Like, say, increased functionality to input methods (Better Multi-Touch, Media Control) or anything else along those lines? Because, If all thats going to change is a slightly different aluminum case, maybe 1/5 to 1/4 inch less, and a different chipset and slightly better CPU, then I don't see that big a difference.
  • Reply 139 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soulcrux View Post

Well, I see and understand the fact that the new MBPs and MBs will have a redesigned casing and will also have different chipsets. I'm going to get a Macbook Pro soon (could definitely get it within 2 weeks) and I want to know if It's really worth waiting a month or two for the new one. I see no problem with the current design of the MBP, and the tapered design doesnt really seem like a big deal. The question is then, do you guys see any new features coming out that would definitely make waiting for the new MBP worthwhile? Like, say, increased functionality to input methods (Better Multi-Touch, Media Control) or anything else along those lines? Because, If all thats going to change is a slightly different aluminum case, maybe 1/5 to 1/4 inch less, and a different chipset and slightly better CPU, then I don't see that big a difference.

If they make the MBP any god damn thinner I'm gonna mail Steve Jobs a turd in a box.
  • Reply 140 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machead99 View Post

If they make the MBP any god damn thinner I'm gonna mail Steve Jobs a turd in a box.

I can see it now...

The iTurd

Genius!