Apple details next-gen multi-touch techniques for tablet Macs

Comments

• Reply 81 of 107
    Everyone has a unique signature, it's called a fingerprint. If somehow the screen could recognize a persons fingerprint for log on verification, etc, etc, then that could potentially lesson the need for a stylus. Plus, a glossy surface is not ideal for writing, drawing on. Wacom tablets have a more course surface which mimics the feel of actual paper. Apple isn't trying to put wacom out of business. Perhaps they could sell a special sheet that you could put over the touch screen that mimics the feel of paper.
  • Reply 82 of 107
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I suggested that a while back, since it needs to be plugged in anyway to recharge. But you wouldn't want to do advanced Photoshop work on it. Any really heavy Photoshop work demands a pressure-sensitive tablet with stylus. Trust me. I have a MultiTouch tablet but I switch to my Wacom when I'm doing precision work in Photoshop or Fireworks.

I agree, but... NTrig now produce a panel that supports MultiTouch and 256 levels of Pressure Sensitivity using a stylus. It's not the best but it's a bloody good start.

For some strange reason their server is down at the moment!!

They produce the panels for the new Dell laptop though
  • Reply 83 of 107
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

Good God, I hate this grammatical atrocity for the sake of political correctness. If you don't want to say "his", write around it, don't just shrug your shoulders and say, "Oh, well." That, traditionally, is the Microsoft way, not the Apple way.

Yes, at least say, "it puts the lotion on it's skin..."
  • Reply 84 of 107
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Is it just me, or is tablets just so uninspiring? The demos I see for multi-touch displays have the guy tossing things around like a mad man - just because you can, doesn't make it useful. After a day of that, it gets down to the way you actually use a product.

Its just you.
  • Reply 85 of 107
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Anyone who think Apple aren't releasing a consumer tablet in 2009 is kidding themselves.

Touchscreen phones were just gimmicky before the iPhone. This Mac touch is real, and it's really coming.
  • Reply 86 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Anyone who think Apple aren't releasing a consumer tablet in 2009 is kidding themselves.

Touchscreen phones were just gimmicky before the iPhone. This Mac touch is real, and it's really coming.

I agree! Though I think it may arrive in 2008 like the various rumors have suggested...
  • Reply 87 of 107
    Still trying to decide whether to buy an HP tx2500 for school now or wait for a MacBook touch...
  • Reply 88 of 107
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spacevator View Post

I agree! Though I think it may arrive in 2008 like the various rumors have suggested...

The big question would be whether the tablet would use Core2Duo or Atom architecture. I'm hoping for Atom, although that would mean I'd have to wait for 2009 when Moorestown is released. Just the idea of a 1.87 to 2GHz dual-core tablet running a complete Snow Leopard with 8+ hours of battery life (and maybe a MagSafe dock for charging, syncing or even acting as MultiTouch pointing device for a Mac) makes me drool uncontrollably. I don't think Apple would be able to make them fast enough, and the demand would make Intel fall even further behind on Atom-family production.

(If you couldn't guess, I value all-day battery life far more than raw speed.)
  • Reply 89 of 107
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by codecrazy View Post

Still trying to decide whether to buy an HP tx2500 for school now or wait for a MacBook touch...

If you need it for school get the HP now, this tablet will be announced at Macworld 2009 - at the earliest.
  • Reply 90 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If you need it for school get the HP now, this tablet will be announced at Macworld 2009 - at the earliest.

It's not completely necessary, but it would be nice. I think I'll just wait until MacWorld '09...
  • Reply 91 of 107
    If you feel like you can wait, then wait.

It'll be MORE than worth it.
  • Reply 92 of 107
    Heck yes wait! It would be a retarded move to buy an HP tablet now. The iTtablet is coming at Macworld 09 at the latest! September is iffy but not impossible.
  • Reply 93 of 107
    £5 says there won't be a Tablet Mac from Apple ever.

I think it's an incredibly stupid idea.
  • Reply 94 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

I can't say it's a stupid idea but it's not one that I'm interested in. We saw Apple release the MBA this year which appeals to a relatively small market segment, so I don't think the tablet idea is as far fetched as it was prior to 2008. Plus Apple now has experience with multi-touch computing and frameworks in place.
  • Reply 95 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can't say it's a stupid idea but it's not one that I'm interested in. We saw Apple release the MBA this year which appeals to a relatively small market segment, so I don't think the tablet idea is as far fetched as it was prior to 2008. Plus Apple now has experience with multi-touch computing and frameworks in place.

The MBA's market is enormous compared to a multitouch tablet Mac. A tablet Mac is a gimmick looking for a market. Who wants greasy fingerprints on their laptop screen? It's just silly.
  • Reply 96 of 107
    Quote:

The MBA's market is enormous compared to a multitouch tablet Mac. A tablet Mac is a gimmick looking for a market. Who wants greasy fingerprints on their laptop screen? It's just silly.

For the consumer market, yes; but I think that health care sector, alone, could trump the sales of all MBA sales per quarter. My point wasn't about which has a bigger market, it was that Apple may surprise us as they did with the MBA.

PS: It cracks me up that people are livid on these boards about the MBA and claim it's POS that nobody will buy despite it selling very well and having now 3 other manufactures following in its path.
  • Reply 97 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

For the consumer market, yes; but I think that health care sector, alone, could trump the sales of all MBA sales per quarter. My point wasn't about which has a bigger market, it was that Apple may surprise us as they did with the MBA.

I've never seen a Mac used in the health service here in the UK, maybe the US is different, but here everything is Windows based with the same kinds of crappy Access/VB apps common in crappy offices.

Secondly, in hospitals I'd guess they'd need special tablets that aren't going to be harbingers of MRSA.
  • Reply 98 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spacevator View Post

*sigh* As much as I've wished for it I think the smart money says macworld 09. Because of intel being late with their chips I think Apple has been put into the position of releasing their new ipods and new macbooks at or near the same time....most likely in September. They simply do not have the time to release their brand new wonder product this year.

Even if they incorporate a glass trackpad into their macbooks that still will not be the "macbook touch" or "iTablet" that the rumors are talking about.

The rest of 2008 for Apple will be exciting but it will not be about the tablet. That will be January. Does anyone agree?
  • Reply 99 of 107
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Funny thing: Quite a few people said the same thing about Apple making a cell phone. "Apple is a computer company, not a cell phone company," they insisted. A similarly large number of naysayers said Apple would never make an ultralight laptop. "The Steve" would not clutter up the product matrix, went the thinking. Also any kind of device that could hook up to a TV. If I had the time, I'd search the AI forums for your pre-announcement posts on those very products just to see if you were among the "no" crowd, which I suspect you were. If you're so sure of it, why not bet more than £5? Let's say £500,000. It's not as if we know who you are and where we can track you down to collect the bet, right? You know your wager is meaningless.

Edit: Did a quick search and couldn't find your stances on those, but you were rather vehemently certain in 2006 that there would not be a video iPod, especially since you wrote there was no content for it. I think we all know how that turned out, now that all iPods are video-capable and there's lots of video content on the iTunes store.
  • Reply 100 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Edit: Did a quick search and couldn't find your stances on those, but you were rather vehemently certain in 2006 that there would not be a video iPod, especially since you wrote there was no content for it. I think we all know how that turned out, now that all iPods are video-capable and there's lots of video content on the iTunes store.

Of all the iPhone rumours threads for November and December 2006 there is only one for November 11th that Aegisdesign commented on. Of the 12 posts he made in that thread not one implies that the iPhone wouldn't happen. In fact, his comments are about which features the handset would have.
    edit: That was actually enjoyable to read all those predictions about the iPhone 1 to 5 months before it was officially announced. Aegisdesign was pessimistic about features, OS and how Apple could compete with a single phone design. He, like most of the regulars whose names I saw, had pretty good predictions and concerns.