iPods, MacBooks, iMacs up next on Apple's 2008 roadmap

Comments

• Reply 161 of 204
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jbach67 View Post

You have captured my own feeling about blue ray fairly well. Why would you waste the output of the sharpest video possible by showing it on a tiny 15 to 17 inch screen ?- It's a lot harder to see the difference from standard DVDs there - now running on a 50 or 60 inch 1080p TV is another thing altogether, and the difference between blue ray and the best DVDs is something you can see - (although not as great as the difference between video tape or SD TV and DVD.) If I didn't have blue ray hooked up to a big screen HD TV that could show 1080p, I just don't see the need for the technology on a computer. Why pay the extra for Blue Ray movies just to watch them on a tiny screen?

And having done it with CDs vs. flash vs. portable hard drive, I'll take the flash for presentations and other stuff you need to carry around and put on someone elses machine (which probably doesn't have BRay) and the external hard drive as easier to routinely back up the computer HD.

Apple would be wise to make this a BTO if at all.

He's right. Blade Runner is one of the two "old" movies in BD that I bought. It looks wonderful on my 61".

But you would be surprised at just how good these look on a high quality 24" monitor.

You are misunderstanding the backup issue though.
  • Reply 162 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ICD-EVIL View Post

Stop with all the Blu-Ray talk. This is not about Blu-Ray at all, aside from whether or not they will but a BD drive in the computers, which they won't, so case closed there.

Get back on topic.

NEW MACBOOKS AND MACBOOK PROS!!!

Alright....GO!

It's what we make of it.
  • Reply 163 of 204
    holy crap stop talking about blu-ray this thread is not a bout blu-ray. if you want to discuss blu-ray go back lieka month find thew blu-ray thread and keep going with it
  • Reply 164 of 204
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zerfman View Post

holy crap stop talking about blu-ray this thread is not a bout blu-ray.

I really don't get this sort of comment. It's a feature that some people are hoping would get added to the product line on the next update, that's how the discussion arose. I too would like it, but I'm realistic enough to know that it's probably not going to happen.
  • Reply 165 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zerfman View Post

holy crap stop talking about blu-ray this thread is not a bout blu-ray. if you want to discuss blu-ray go back lieka month find thew blu-ray thread and keep going with it

Thank you, newbie, for telling us what to do.

We'll be sure to reciprocate when you say something we don't think is proper, such as, well, this.
  • Reply 166 of 204
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    I will buy the new MBP 17" (with High Res screen and largest HD) as soon it is released.

If Writable (or RW) BluRay is an BTO I will definitely take that too - for the first year or so I will probably mostly use the BR for backup purposes (I have around 50 Gb photos on my PB, and doing multiple DVD backups is a pain), later on I might enjoy other aspects/benefits of having an internal BR.

For me, keeping as much as possible (both soft- and hardware vise) in the MBP is vital - and having a internal drive that is able to read/write most formats is definitely a plus, and more so in one or two years.
  • Reply 167 of 204
    It always just have to boil down to the same old "I'm right and you are wrong, my brain is bigger then yours"...

Keep it up guy's it's fun to read...

what ever Apple is planning for the mac line products it probably wont be revolutionary on the engineering part (I hope I'm wrong) we will most likely see a bunch of new casings for laptops and maybe the MP...

Blu-Ray or no Blu-Ray it's always fun to see what Apple pulls out of the hat...

See you around kids and don't stop the arguing/discussing.
  • Reply 168 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monosound View Post

It always just have to boil down to the same old "I'm right and you are wrong, my brain is bigger then yours"...

Keep it up guy's it's fun to read...

what ever Apple is planning for the mac line products it probably wont be revolutionary on the engineering part (I hope I'm wrong) we will most likely see a bunch of new casings for laptops and maybe the MP...

Blu-Ray or no Blu-Ray it's always fun to see what Apple pulls out of the hat...

See you around kids and don't stop the arguing/discussing.

The problem we have here is that all of our brains are so big that some of the IQ leaks out of our ears from being squeezed like a grape in the winepress of our skulls.
  • Reply 169 of 204
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

They can push all they like, services like Mobile Me have proved it is no where near being a viable option.

You don't even have an iPhone.

You keep bringing up the past.

I, my clients and students are using it with no concern.

At least spell the name properly.
  • Reply 170 of 204
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Intel has updated their price list with new low cost processors. Would these suit an upgraded Mac Mini?
  • Reply 171 of 204
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Intel has updated their price list with new low cost processors. Would these suit an upgraded Mac Mini?

Apple has never used the low end in their Mac Mini. They aren't pushing the threshold with it by any means and it's due for an update or a retirement, but the chips are always the mid-level CPUs. Even the original with Intel based Mni with the low-end Core Solo still wasn't Celeron quality.

With these lower TDPs, thus less heat, and small packages can we expect to see Desktop-grade chips in the next iMacs or will they just make it even thinner? Using desktop grades will increase the speed while lowering the price of the processor, too.
  • Reply 172 of 204
    There is a site where you can bet play money on questions like this. Here is where you can go to register and pick up your $2000 grubstake (of play money): http://www.hubdub.com/s/BVSZ5CC79K

I've posted the question, "What will Apple's 'product transition' be?", along with the following nine choices and their current odds, at this location:

http://www.hubdub.com/m14893/What_wi..._Transition_be

\tA video encode/decode chip in any Mac &/or iPod \t20% \t

\t

\tSome other specialized chip in any Mac &/or iPod \t9%

\t

\tLEDs to provide backlighting in any Mac &/or iPod \t9%

\t

\tBundled third-party software in any Apple product \t5%

\t

\tSomething other than the above in any Mac (only) \t9%

\t

\tSomething other than the above in any iPod (only) \t 9%

\t

\tSomething other than the above in both Mac & iPod 10%

\t

\tSomething other than the above for the iPhone \t 2%

\t

\tSomething else (for Apple TV, a new product, etc.) \t28%

PS: If you search for "Apple" on that site you'll find over a dozen other questions you can "bet" on.
  • Reply 173 of 204
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roger Knights View Post

There is a site where you can bet play money on questions like this. Here is where you can go to register and pick up your $2000 grubstake (of play money):

Are you spamming us? Cross-posting the same thing on several threads is a little rude.
  • Reply 174 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Are you spamming us? Cross-posting the same thing on several threads is a little rude.

Obviously, it's spam.
  • Reply 175 of 204
    Wonder if the prices of the MacBook and MacBook Pro are gonna change? I'm most likely going for the Pro (might consider the MacBook now though, since it comes in alloy). Would the upgrade to the alloy case "force" Apple to up the MacBook prices?
  • Reply 176 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rasmoose View Post

Wonder if the prices of the MacBook and MacBook Pro are gonna change? I'm most likely going for the Pro (might consider the MacBook now though, since it comes in alloy). Would the upgrade to the alloy case "force" Apple to up the MacBook prices?

Using aluminum bodies shouldn't raise prices. Even Dell's XPS models are made mostly of aluminum, and they start at $1,000.
  • Reply 177 of 204
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    If someone wants a Blu-Ray drive for back-ups, then an external Blu-Ray drive is the obvious solution. Apple, please don't weigh our laptops down with optical drives.
  • Reply 178 of 204
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

Using aluminum bodies shouldn't raise prices. Even Dell's XPS models are made mostly of aluminum, and they start at $1,000.

Aluminum is most costly than plastic. It's even more costly than steel as I hear it's harder to ore* and purify,

* Yes, I'm using it as a verb even though it's only accepted as a noun.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

If someone wants a Blu-Ray drive for back-ups, then an external Blu-Ray drive is the obvious solution. Apple, please don't weigh our laptops down with optical drives.

Hear, hear! I'm highly skeptical of it happening just yet but optical drives are getting like floppy drives and need to be removed. I hope Apple will push the threshold with this transition, too. They can still offer the MBA optical drive, the Remote Disc option, and offer their OS on specialized flash drives.
  • Reply 179 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Aluminum is most costly than plastic. It's even more costly than steel as I hear it's harder to get the ore* and purify,

* Yes, I'm using it as a verb even though it's only accepted as a noun.

Hear, hear! I'm highly skeptical of it happening just yet but optical drives are getting like floppy drives and need to be removed. I hope Apple will push the threshold with this transition, too. They can still offer the MBA optical drive, the Remote Disc option, and offer their OS on specialized flash drives.

Um... you used ore as a noun.
  • Reply 180 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This isn't a serious response from you, is it?