Apple confirms September 9th special event: "Let's Rock"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 154
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macapptraining View Post

also, due to the back to school promotion apple would have to take back a few week old computers and ipods in exchange for the new ones. this way, they just have to swap the ipods and no computers.

I think that the return policy is 14 days for everything but the iPhone, so it would only be 2 weeks, but they have had these events right before the end of the BtS promotion before. I think they they have excluded the new merchandise from the promotion.
  • Reply 22 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrShow View Post

Please Please MBP update!!

Not likely. Apple will keep this event restricted to iPods and iTunes.

MBP and MB updates will likely be coming later this month or next.
  • Reply 23 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Anyone thinking this will be anything other than iPods and music business related needs to take off the blinders.

Apple does not announce that many things all at once. Their special announcements are always focused.

Do not hold out hope for laptops. You will only be disappointed. It is 100% not going to happen on September 9th.

My blinders are off and that's how my extra vision can see something on the horizon. Of course, that horizon will be at the distance of Mac World. Ok, I will wait till then. without the cigar.
  • Reply 24 of 154
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Before some of you idiots raise your hopes up unnecessarily please note that this event is only about ipods according to the source from the article. Suggestions are that Apple will instead hold a seperate event in October to focus on macbooks.

Geezus people, click on a link and read it for yourselves you lazy bunch of good fer nuthins!
  • Reply 25 of 154
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

. My Mac is 9 months old, it's time for a refresh!

I fell so sorry for you that you can't even manage a year out of your hardware.

In any event what gets me excited isn't the iPods per say but rather the OS. That's right folks iPhone OS 2.1.0 can be far away which means (hopefully) bug fixed and stability. We might even get new features. Let's hope that the update isn't more than a couple of weeks beyond this date.

With Apple targetting the low end I do hope that they create a feature filled Touch at the high end. More flash of course but more features certainly especially I/O. I wouldn't get upset to see a larger wide screen variant either.
  • Reply 26 of 154
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Animal Farm View Post

Waiting on a new MBP is starting to feel Sisyphean...

Nicely Thesaurusized if somewhat inappropriate usage
  • Reply 27 of 154
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

i personally would like to see the click wheel disappear.

You wouldn't if you were blind. The click wheel is the best interface ever for playing music. You don't even have to look at it. I hate the iTouch interface when all I want to do is start up the music, or adjust the volume, or skip a song, etc., etc.
  • Reply 28 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

You wouldn't if you were blind. The click wheel is the best interface ever for playing music. You don't even have to look at it. I hate the iTouch interface when all I want to do is start up the music, or adjust the volume, or skip a song, etc., etc.

Agreed. I love my iPhone but still prefer to use my iPod Classic to listen to music. It is so much easier to use the click wheel than leaving the screen on constantly or having to take it out of standby just to change a track.

A solution that would please everyone is having iPhones and iPod Touches support the ?50 Apple FM receiver I bought. That would allow me to use the click wheel AND have a touch interface!
  • Reply 29 of 154
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Oh well. The writing was already on the wall, but I too was hoping for the laptop revision earlier rather than later. New iPods? It's funny... I used to get a new iPod every other revision, but since I got my iPhone, there seems less of a point. By locking me into a 2 year contract, I think they substantially slow my purchase cycle.

Maybe they'll show me something that'll bring me to the checkout counter anyway. We'll see. I always enjoy the sight of new products from Apple, even when I'm not the target.

I just want my new MacBook Pro by the time ZBrush 3 arrives for the Mac
  • Reply 30 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Nicely Thesaurusized if somewhat inappropriate usage

My wait for a new mbp is starting to feel quixotic?
  • Reply 31 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I fell so sorry for you that you can't even manage a year out of your hardware.

I can, but I prefer not to.
  • Reply 32 of 154
    I love how whenever Apple gives out music-themed invites to a press event, people gravitate to "must be the Beatles". It's so comical how we have all the individual albums from each member, but we just can't get them all together.

If Apple Inc. can get Apple Records to release those albums, I think Jobs would want to make a statement to the other major labels in doing so. How? Put them up in open iTunes Plus AACs.

Anyway, back to iPod announcements, many guesses have already been made and are likely to happen: lower prices, bumped up storage, perhaps some tapering of the iPod touch's edges (to match the iPhone 3G and MacBook Air), and perhaps the retiring of the iPod classic.

One feature I haven't really heard floated, but which would be low cost and useful: the iPhone's same 2MP camera for the iPod touch. I'd like a better camera, but Apple most definitely wants people buying their far more profitable iPhone, thus they don't want to make the iPod touch overly enticing. Using the same 2MP camera would eliminate that and not only would it allow iPod touch users to take snap shots (and maybe video if Apple will open up that functionality) it would also serve as a barcode scanner, allowing Apple to use the iPod touch as a point-of-service device in Apple retail stores with custom software made using their Cocoa Touch SDK.

Obviously they couldn't deploy this immediately - they still have to get a credit card swipe reader that connects via the touch's dock connector - but this would offer faster checkouts and in the future, they could even sell the iPod touch bundled with a clip-on credit card reader and a simple checkout application to other retail stores, entering yet another enterprise and putting mobile OS X in front of hundreds of employees.
  • Reply 33 of 154
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

The click wheel is the best interface ever for playing music. You don't even have to look at it. I hate the iTouch interface when all I want to do is start up the music, or adjust the volume, or skip a song, etc., etc.

QFT. This is exactly right. The iPod scroll wheel is perfection for music. For listening to things while you multitask. I listen to audio books. I can reach down and rewind, skip forward, skip backward, adjust volume, all without looking at the device.

The iPhone touch interface is perfect for manipulating what you're attending to visually. It's nice for watching movies and such. But it requires more work than the scroll wheel for music and audio-book tasks.

Furthermore, the scroll wheen allows much finer-grained control when you want to go forward or rewind. I can move the play-cursor to the exact second I want in a movie, audiobook, or song on my iPod. I cannot achieve the same control with the iPhone in a movie. (Anyone who can much have TINY fingers).
  • Reply 34 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopiaRocks View Post

That's so supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
  • Reply 35 of 154
    Quote:

looking forward to the event. i personally would like to see the click wheel disappear. we'll see if apple puts the spark back into the ipod. a little disappointed that there will probably be no sign of new macbooks or macbook pros at this event. it may be better anyway to split the new product launches into different events. also, due to the back to school promotion apple would have to take back a few week old computers and ipods in exchange for the new ones. this way, they just have to swap the ipods and no computers.

I'd like to see the click wheel disappear only if there are tactile clues that aid in non-visual manipulation of the iPod. The ability to physically interface with the iPod without paying too much attention to it is important, which is something that is a net negative on the iPhone for me personally.
  • Reply 36 of 154
    despite design and interface diskussions I find it much more interesting

if the new ipod touch will have a new pa semi chip inside....

so we will know the direction of iphone development and apple will be save from

cheap knock offs
  • Reply 37 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calguy View Post

Well, is anybody going to ask? Is Steve going to "one more thing" and show us some new MacBooks and MBP? Yea, then it will be a party and something to dance to!

The "one more thing" is gonna be the last nail in MS's coffin for the dud called Zune...GO APPLE! TORA! TORA! TORA!
  • Reply 38 of 154
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopiaRocks View Post

yeah, and not a little phantasmagoric
  • Reply 39 of 154
    This really sucks. I need to order a MBP now, not in a month, so I have no choice but to get one. I've already pushed the purchase date too far. It's either that or not working until the new ones are released.
  • Reply 40 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kari.patila View Post

This really sucks. I need to order a MBP now, not in a month, so I have no choice but to get one. I've already pushed the purchase date too far. It's either that or not working until the new ones are released.

Even if announced next week I highly doubt they would be available for sale this month.