Claims renew iTunes 8 expectations, slate iPhone 2.1 for event

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    I want one thing out of this show. Apple to fix the problems with the iPhone 3g and 1st Gen running 2.x software as stable as 1.1.4.

Give me a phone that is stable and I'll keep my 3G iPhone. If not I'm returning it and after 20x years of being an Apple Guy, I'll hold out for Android. My restocking fee is $30.00.

Small price to pay for a stable software and a press release every day that tells us what's going on with the phone Software & App Store.

If Apple is putting out 2.1 with new features that are not tested in the field then my worst fear has come true.

Steve is too paranoid about company secrets and we've all become the test bed for his next pet project.
  • Reply 62 of 98
    i heard from a birdie that there will be a surprise at this event too.
  • Reply 63 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thepope3 View Post

I hope the surprise is that Apple is releasing software that fixes my Phone!
  • Reply 64 of 98
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

On mine, I can use the clicker (mine is Shure Music Phone Adapter) to play/pause/skip in Google Maps or any app without it leaving the that app. Maybe there's a configuration to change the behavior.

Go to Preferences -> General -> Home Button, have it set on "iPod", and have "iPod Controls" set to "on". That way, if music is playing, double clicking the Home button brings up a dashboard-like control rather than opening the iPod app..

Weird--I have that set same as you, but I just tested, and clicking the headphones made the iPhone app come up. Then pausing and playing again AFTER that did not. What's the difference, I wonder? The iPod is never "stopped" it only has paused and play, it seems to me. And it's not whether phone had been asleep or not--I tried that.

I'll test more in my car too.

Good to know it's working for you the way I want it to.
  • Reply 65 of 98
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Weird--I have that set same as you, but I just tested, and clicking the headphones made the iPhone app come up.

JeffDM described the process of bringing up the iPod controls on top of the current app by double-clicking the Home Button on the device, not clicking the headphones.

edit: Reading your original post, I think you have a problem as the control on the headphones should not bring up the iPod app when clicked.
  • Reply 66 of 98
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepope3

I hope the surprise is that Apple is releasing software that fixes my Phone!

unfortunately for you thats not what i heard
  • Reply 67 of 98
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Any information about whether AI will provide live coverage for Tuesday event or not?! If not, who will?
  • Reply 68 of 98
    Just watched last year's event titled "The beat goes on". No Beatles!

In a nutshell, here is what was introduced,..

Stats:

. . .— 600M copies of iTunes distributed

. . .— 6M songs per iTS in each of the 22 countries they are in

. . .— iTS #3 music retailer in the US.

. . .— iTS #1 online music retailer (Walmart #1, BestBuy #2)

. . .— 550 TV shows from 58 networks

. . .— 95M TV shows sold

. . .— 125K podcasts available, with 25K of those are video podcasts

. . .— 32% of 2006 music releases were ONLY released digitally, not a CD

. . .— 110M iPods sold

Software/Services:

. . .— Custom ringtones made from iTunes Store songs

. . .— New iTunes version released that evening

. . .— New iPod OS with Coverflow for new Nano and Classic

Hardware:

. . .— iPod Shuffle gets "Holiday" colour refresh and Product (RED) version [1GB]

. . .— Intorduced 3G "Fatty" Nano released [4/8GB] (dropped 2GB model, dropped price of models by $50)

. . .— Introduced iPod Classic [80/160GB] (dropped 30GB model, increased capacity while keeping price the same)

. . .— Introduced iPod Touch [8/16GB]

. . .— Dropped 4GB iPhone model, dropped price of 8GB to $400
    PS: Jobs made a big deal about the 204ppi on the 2" Nano Screen at the event which would allow both the Classic and Nano to maintain the 320x240 pixel resolution.. By comparison, all the other iPods have 163ppi. The 2.5" Classic uses the same 4:3 ratio as the Nano, and the 3.5" Touch/iPhone uses a 1.5:1 ratio.

If Apple is shying away from the Classic, which I presume is the least profitable iPod class, and they are going for a widescreen iPod Nano would they not want to match the ratio and pixels again? Does it not seem likely that the 4:3 ration TV shows being pushed out will be dropped in favour of widescreen shows? I've heard the HD rumour, but not the widescreen rumour.

PPS: There was also a Special Event in August that was held for a much smaller audience. It went though the new iMac, iLife, .Mac and other Mac-related items. It seems unlikely that Apple would announce any Mac products, outside of iTunes, next week, but they have to be readying Montevina (I'm not sure they can call it Centrino 2) so I'm guessing it may just be a silent release with new notebook cases and iLife/iWork '09 coming in January.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Any information about whether AI will provide live coverage for Tuesday event or not?! If not, who will?

Gizmodo says they will. I figure every tech site will be either be covering it or linking to one who is covering it to get page hits.
  • Reply 69 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I haven't heard about a bunch of iPhones getting bricked. I've read about and experienced certain apps crashing and slowness, but not a bricking of the device. I didn't think it was possible to brick an iPhone with the simple recovery mode option.

It has happened to me and it took several restores and a complete overhaul to get it back up. Apple support forums locked a 40 plus page thread about this recently.
  • Reply 70 of 98
    iTunes 8 will user in the new era of the apple line of firearms. They will feature shoot-'em-up style music, and show hits or misses on the screen...
  • Reply 71 of 98
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    The BIG THING is:

Next Apple moves will be Books and Games?

http://spidouz.wordpress.com/2008/09...ooks-and-games

As well as:

Inside the iPad: Why a $100 Apple Laptop Is Probably Inevitable

http://connectme.typepad.com/news/20...-the-ipad.html
  • Reply 72 of 98
    Whether it is iTunes, itself, the iTMS, the App Store, AppleTV, the iPhone or the Touch---

We need better ability to navigate/organize things than the few high-level categories that Apple provides in the iTunes-centric file system.

For example:

1) have folders on the iPhone screen for natural grouping of apps: games, emergency, utility, etc.

2) I would like to set up AppleTV (my iTunes client) to contain folders for things like

My Podcasts (ones that I've created)

-- various sub... categories

Home Movies

--Rose Parade 2003

--School 2008

----Braden

------Trip To Science Museum

----Marlowe

----Standish

--Soccer 2007

--Soccer 2008

----Opening Day

----Fireballs Games

----FireBalls Practices

----HotShots Games

----HotShots Practices

yadda, yadda, yadda. You can do this now, by telling iTunes that these are TV programs but it is a real pita.

Apple can keep their way of organizing things, but give us the ability to do it "our way" too!
  • Reply 73 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Whether it is iTunes, itself, the iTMS, the App Store, AppleTV, the iPhone or the Touch---

We need better ability to navigate/organize things than the few high-level categories that Apple provides in the iTunes-centric file system.

For example:

1) have folders on the iPhone screen for natural grouping of apps: games, emergency, utility, etc.

2) I would like to set up AppleTV (my iTunes client) to contain folders for things like

[...]

yadda, yadda, yadda. You can do this now, by telling iTunes that these are TV programs but it is a real pita.

Apple can keep their way of organizing things, but give us the ability to do it "our way" too!

1) The folders on the iPhone HomeScreen would be a blessing. I imagine that you'd add the folder from settings, give it a name and then go into the screen to choose which apps to put into it with the on/off switch. Similar to the way Poof works on a Jailbroken phone to hide or show an app on the HomeScreen. If the app is already in one folder it could show up as grayed out so it can't be chosen again, with a swipe maneuver that would take it out of that folder and put it in the new one, but that seems complex. Once in a folder the first place in the upper left corner could be designated as the back button (cd ..). But I wonder why this has been done by of the pre-SDK developers. They had access to the system, so what am I missing?

There are two issues that this doesn't address that I'm sure people would want next: folders within a folder and same app across more than one folder. This also requires an additional setup be created for the iPhone settings. While not difficult compared to adding cut/copy/paste, I doubt that it would be a big secret that was purposely kept out of the v2.1 developer builds. But I have 5 screens of apps and really could use folders.

2) I don't see the real need here. You can make Playlists for your items and can do a simple drag and drop to put them in the right place all at once. That said, since it's an issue I haven't come across and since it's quite late I'm probably not looking at objectively enough. I will agree that altering videos to "TV Shows', etc. is a PITA. If I could do them all at once, fine; but that is one aspect of iTunes that only allows a single change at a time.
  • Reply 74 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'd like to see Safari not having to reload a web page every time you return to the browser or the tab.

absolutely add me to that as a wishlist, I'd almost PAY for that!!
  • Reply 75 of 98
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

1) The folders on the iPhone HomeScreen would be a blessing. I imagine that you'd add the folder from settings, give it a name and then go into the screen to choose which apps to put into it with the on/off switch. Similar to the way Poof works on a Jailbroken phone to hide or show an app on the HomeScreen. If the app is already in one folder it could show up as grayed out so it can't be chosen again, with a swipe maneuver that would take it out of that folder and put it in the new one, but that seems complex. Once in a folder the first place in the upper left corner could be designated as the back button (cd ..). But I wonder why this has been done by of the pre-SDK developers. They had access to the system, so what am I missing?

There are two issues that this doesn't address that I'm sure people would want next: folders within a folder and same app across more than one folder. This also requires an additional setup be created for the iPhone settings. While not difficult compared to adding cut/copy/paste, I doubt that it would be a big secret that was purposely kept out of the v2.1 developer builds. But I have 5 screens of apps and really could use folders.

2) I don't see the real need here. You can make Playlists for your items and can do a simple drag and drop to put them in the right place all at once. That said, since it's an issue I haven't come across and since it's quite late I'm probably not looking at objectively enough. I will agree that altering videos to "TV Shows', etc. is a PITA. If I could do them all at once, fine; but that is one aspect of iTunes that only allows a single change at a time.

Hey, you sure can type well on that elitist cell phone!
  • Reply 76 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

This is my take on it: do change the volume on your dvd player, cable box, or your game console?

Most people change the volume on their tv or their home theater system, not on every video box they have connected to the tv. Imagine the frustration of cranking up the volume on apple tv (and not hearing anything) only to find that your tv volume is turned way down.

Bad analogy, and inconsistent with Apple's other devices and solutions. Two examples.

1. iPod Universal Dock. Plug one of these into your amp or other powered source, and you ARE able to control the volume with the white remote. You cannot make it louder than you have your amp set for, but you can decrease it all the way down to nothing. So, set your amp to the maximum level you'd ever want it to be, and adjust the iPod as you need. Simple.

2. Airtunes. When using Apple TV as an Airtunes client, and ARE able to adjust the volume with the Remote app on iPhone/iPod Touch. The slider bar works, and is able to control iTunes volume (which is independent of the Mac's volume and the amp's volume).

Use the Remote app to connect to Apple TV, and the volume slider bar is grayed out.

So there you have it. Apple TV is the anomaly in Apple's similar products by lacking this functionality. Why in the world would I want to carry around my amp's remote control AND my iPhone to control one device when I should be able to do it with just the Remote app?

Not sure what the debate/confusion is here.
  • Reply 77 of 98
    Quote:

The problem with this is that the Apple TV does not accept anything but music tracks in its playlists. It does not accept music videos, TV shows, movies, podcasts (both video and audio) or any other type of track that is not a pure audio track.
  • Reply 78 of 98
    All I want out of iPhone 2.1 is a more stable App Store environment. Updating Apps is a crap shoot right now, especially those that are fairly large in size. I am in the midst of a terribly messy restore and clean up of my iPhone because of a hung update of a large App that I have since decided to delete.

Also, Apple needs to figure out how the handle Apps between iPhone and desktop iTunes. I think there is a "chicken and egg" problem. I would rather that iTunes be able to update Apps even if they have been updated separately on the iPhone. Apple needs to assume that the iPhone could run into its own problems dealing with App updates -- a known fact with 2.0.x.
  • Reply 79 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'd like to see Safari not having to reload a web page every time you return to the browser or the tab.

my workaround for retaining a patch of important information is capturing a screenshot to the Photos app

but yes I'd like Safari to retain more
  • Reply 80 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by napabar View Post

I'm hoping Apple finally decides to give Airtunes the push it deserves. The "Killer App" for Airtunes is the Remote program on iPhone/iPod Touch. This thing is very cool for a version 1.0 release, and can only get better.

Yes. The Remote application is awsome.

Quote:

Here's what I'd like to see:

A new version of the iPod Hi-Fi, with an Airtunes client built it. Drop the iPod dock to distinguish it from the million other speaker systems out there and make it look more streamlined. Change the name and sell it for $249. People could buy more than one of these for different areas in their house. Drop in it, plug it in, control the "Zone" from the Remote program. Apple simplicity

I've already got a setup like this. I have an AirPort Express hooked up to the base station of my Griffin Evolve remote speaker system. I take the speakers and place them on either side of my outdoor fireplace, get a fire going, and control all my music (15,000+ songs on my iMac) from my iPhone. I love the way it works, and my friends are just awestruck.