Seinfeld, Gates 'connect' with regular folks in new Microsoft ad

Comments

• Reply 101 of 146
    these MS ads are just so annoying and stupid. I'm not anti-MS, but c'mon...all that money ($300M) and all you can come up with is THIS?????
  • Reply 102 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Are these "regular folks" who use Windows instead of Mac the same people who choose Leno over Letterman, and McCain over Obama? When did mundane become better than elite?

Yes the same people who choose PC over Mac.... what's his name over Leno and what's his name over McCain.
  • Reply 103 of 146
    sooooooooo lamo.
  • Reply 104 of 146
    These ads are boring and uncreative. I'm shocked because I'm in advertising and when I heard that Microsoft hired ad gurus Crispin Porter + Bogusky I thought these ads were going to be a slam dunk winner. CPB does all the great Burger King, Mini and Truth ads.

If the intent is to 'counter' the Apple switch ads, they are are just not connecting.

Maybe they should have hired TWBA.
  • Reply 105 of 146
    See this site for an interesting analysis of the ad:

http://www.tgdaily.com/html_tmp/cont...39294-118.html

Basically, the family Bill & Jerry are visiting is Apple

- the grandma is Steve Jobs ("She's been here for 12 years!")

- Apple is all about surface (Djon Mustard with Wine)

- but the products aren't new underneath (same as yesterday with Cheese on)

- there's basic stuff missing (no ketchup)

- and there's chewing gum in the food...

If you accept that then there are a couple of references to 'real'

- the grandma is 'real' but the daughter is 'not real'

The leather-whatever is about Jerry & Bill being accused of stealing something that they don't have an interest in....

- it's also about Apple's obsession with surface & packaging (leather, glass, aluminium etc)

Meanwhile the +ve spin is about M$ being about connecting people, and having lot's of good stuff in the future (both ads so far imply this)

- and the first ad depicts Bill, though he's a billionaire, as someone who cares about the basic details of products (in this case shoes, but by implication software)

- he's also shown giving a kid a lecture on programming...

Oh, and there's a whiff of financial scandal going on between the husband & wife....

- ouch!

Aparently, in the first add the Shoe store (Shoe Circus) is an Apple Store, the shoe that doesn't fit is a Mac, the shoe saleman is a 'Genius', as a Shoe Circus Clown Club Card Platinum member (Mac Buyer) you get Big Top Points (i.e. nothing of substance)

- ouch again!
  • Reply 106 of 146
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

Yeah, the Ads are cute too.

But if it has to be explained like that, then it isn't effective.

It comes across more like what the surface of the Ad is showing. That they are visiting a not too bright family who are their potential customers.

That's the way most people will see it.

Sadly for MS, most people are not very good at subtlety.

Having been in that business (Ad) for a while early in my career, I'll tell that we were always told that the point must be made at the beginning, and in an obvious way.

Ads that aren't made that way often win awards, but are also not very effective. Many Ads won the Clio, but failed to sell product.

If they don't start talking about Vista soon, most people will never "get it".
  • Reply 107 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If they don't start talking about Vista soon, most people will never "get it".

Actually, it looks like they've given up on Vista, and are promoting 'the future'.
  • Reply 108 of 146
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Actually, it looks like they've given up on Vista, and are promoting 'the future'.

You can't sell the future.
  • Reply 109 of 146
    MS campaign- $300 million bridge to nowhere!Thanks Jerry,but no thanks!
  • Reply 110 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You can't sell the future.

If it's the alternative to Microsoft's present, it's not like it could be any worse!

P.S. Sorry to everyone about my previous political comments, that was never my intention when I got on the forum, I just do not like people who think they are better than everyone else because of their own personal beliefs, regardless of the issue, and I allowed it to get the better of me. It won't happen again.
  • Reply 111 of 146
    And here we have a classic example of the difference between talking about doing something and actually doing said thing. Talking about "connecting" is not the same thing as connecting.

What if they took the campaign funds and sent a portion of it to every user? At least, they'd have Money talks and BS walks on their side....
  • Reply 112 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Wow. This is one of the best, most concise, most insightful comments on the differences between Apple and MS attitudes that I've ever read! And I've been a Mac user since 1984.

Apologies in advance for all the times I'm going to use this line in conversations over the coming years.

I'm seconding this opinion: GREAT line wbrasington! Think about selling it...
  • Reply 113 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

... and then those users will go and use their error ridden pc.

Come on, pal, i've had problems with OSX in the past 3 years that are on par, sometimes worse, than the problems I had on WIndows over the 10 years before that. Mainly involving "updates" that Apple seems good at distributing which miraculously reduce functionality. Can't we just put to rest this whole idea that microsoft products are more "error ridden" than apple? Do you own an iPhone?
  • Reply 114 of 146
    Quote:

Basically, the family Bill & Jerry are visiting is Apple

- the grandma is Steve Jobs ("She's been here for 12 years!")

- Apple is all about surface (Djon Mustard with Wine)

- but the products aren't new underneath (same as yesterday with Cheese on)

- there's basic stuff missing (no ketchup)

- and there's chewing gum in the food...

If you accept that then there are a couple of references to 'real'

- the grandma is 'real' but the daughter is 'not real'

The leather-whatever is about Jerry & Bill being accused of stealing something that they don't have an interest in....

- it's also about Apple's obsession with surface & packaging (leather, glass, aluminium etc)

Meanwhile the +ve spin is about M$ being about connecting people, and having lot's of good stuff in the future (both ads so far imply this)

- and the first ad depicts Bill, though he's a billionaire, as someone who cares about the basic details of products (in this case shoes, but by implication software)

- he's also shown giving a kid a lecture on programming...

Oh, and there's a whiff of financial scandal going on between the husband & wife....

- ouch!

Aparently, in the first add the Shoe store (Shoe Circus) is an Apple Store, the shoe that doesn't fit is a Mac, the shoe saleman is a 'Genius', as a Shoe Circus Clown Club Card Platinum member (Mac Buyer) you get Big Top Points (i.e. nothing of substance)

- ouch again!

That is the dumbest load of crap I've read so far.

"The grandma is Steve Jobs". Steven Jobs has been at Apple for more than 12 years. It's starting to sound like that review was written by someone in their 20's with no access to books.

"Apple is all about surface, but the products aren't new underneath" Is there an example for this? I can think of a few counter examples like the iPod, iPhone and Snow Leopard. Apple does indeed obsess over the surface of their products, but they do so about the "underneath" as well.

"Basic stuff missing" you can say about anyone's product including Microsoft's. The iPod has no built-in FM receiver - okay and Internet Explorer doesn't support Web 2.0 scripts.

"There's chewing gum in the food" - Laughing my ass off to whatever that's supposed to mean.

So the leather giraffe is somehow supposed to represent Microsoft being accused of stealing Apple's interface that they apparently have no interest in? Wow... this is really starting to sound like a review written by an misinformed youngster. Perhaps Microsoft has been accused of stealing Apple's "surface" because of the creepy similarities that sprout up - XP, Vista, Zune to name a few.

The ads being about Microsoft "having lots of good stuff in the future" is obvious and that is part of the problem. Microsoft can't really convince people that they have "really good stuff" now - because compared to their competition they really don't. Look back at the astroturfing Microsoft has done the past decade (see "Cairo") and you'll see that Microsoft has a penchant for always talking about what they will be doing in the "future" but never seem to have established plans for the here and now.

And the part about Bill being a billionaire but someone who "cares about the basic details of products" kinda sounds hypocritical. Isn't that being "surface"?

The whole shoe-circus is an Apple store part makes no sense whatsoever... that review is stupid.
  • Reply 115 of 146
    Quote:

"In the competition between PCs and Macs, we outsell Apple 30-to-1. But there is no doubt that Apple is thriving,"

He fails to stated that it used to be 100's to 1
  • Reply 116 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mwick View Post

He fails to stated that it used to be 100's to 1

Or that for every OEM copy of Windows sold they get $40 and for every Mac sold Apple gets an average of $1500 which puts Apple's profit at 10:1 for each pre-installed copy of the OS.
  • Reply 117 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

That is the dumbest load of crap I've read so far.

Thanks!

I'd say some of the Tdaily review makes sense (from the point of view of what M$'s message is, not necessarily the truthyness of the message)

- given that the advert is undoubtedly the expensive product of some very bright minds

- and important enough to warrant Bill G himself appearing (the 1st time ever in an ad?)

- and important enough to be the 1st item up on the M$ web-site

It's obviously intended to get people talking about it, and speculating about it's meaning

- and it has at least succeeded in that...
  • Reply 118 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooped View Post

well... the fact is that these ads are really badly made......

if this is to indicate an image perception of microsoft, the image I am getting is of a product that just doesn't work well. that runs awkwardly with glitches and misses the point.......

in contrast the upgrade from iWorks is more like a downgrade.

iMovie is completely unworkable. and iPhoto should take a look at Lightroom.

seriously, if this is the package that should show people how easy a mac is, they are going to drive them away..

WOW, starting now. :-) Talk about tooling and trolling, you almost had me fooled. NICE comment. You sound like a reasonable person, then at the end the "gottcha" about how Apple seems to be falling apart. Nice. And nice way to pull peoples attention away from the commercials and Vista.

Just a thought.

en
  • Reply 119 of 146
    Absolutely agree. Some of these MS Trolls are getting good. Either that or they are real MS lovers that spend all day trying to find ways to keep the hype of MS alive.

Just a thought.

en
  • Reply 120 of 146
    Hmmm MS troll??? I have to question anyone that says.

If you say Apple makes good products or MS sucks THEN YOU MUST be an Apple fanboy. (this is some kind of bad thing I guess. Making Steve Jobs a God like figure. ???)

IF you say that Apple Sucks and MS is ok cause lots of people use it, then you are a normal person, and should join the misery.

Hey, being a lemming only makes you walk off cliffs occasionally. :-) Being an MS troll however does make you a very low being on the human scale, but only if you do it for money. LOL If you do it for fun, we have rooms and white jackets for you. Belts in the back. :-)

Just a thought.

en