New photo reveals MacBook Pro, new display also possible

Comments

• Reply 101 of 159
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Gawd. I f'n despise Laptops. Nothing like a bunch of drones sitting around in a park texting on a f'n laptop.

We have this ridiculous fantasy notions that we have parks of geniuses working in collaboration, amidst serene settings, and changing the world.

All we have consists of 50 average people bitching, flirting, surfing and basically moving their dull lives outside for everyone else to be surrounded by the portable pod people incapable of enjoying Nature.

for some reason your post made me smile.
  • Reply 102 of 159
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Apple isn't leveraging CUDA. Apple will leverage OpenCL and GrandCentral through whatever GPU/CPU combo they incorporate. CUDA being Nvidia based is moving to OpenCL with their own hooks for their needs.

As the guy from Nvidia said though, OpenCL uses the CUDA driver stack to interface with Nvidia hardware. OpenCL is simply an abstraction layer for developers so that they don't have to write specific code for ATI and Nvidia chips. Nvidia are sticking with CUDA because it complements rather than competes with OpenCL. At the end of the day, the GPU driver has to execute the code on the actual hardware. Apple's OS just passes the code to the driver. How much of the driver Apple actually writes I'm not sure but it will contain a framework provided by Nvidia and PC drivers are still all CUDA supporting entirely.

It's like C and assembler. C is easier and more portable but assembler is more direct. Nobody would suggest getting rid of assembler in favor of just C but few people use it. It can provide benefits going direct though and when you try to reverse-engineer compiled code, you get back to assembler.

Quote:

Apple is leveraging OpenCL for their Operating System, period. Applications leveraging the GPU will go through OpenCL, not CUDA nor Streams from AMD/ATi.

Right now they can't go through OpenCL unless Apple bundles a custom OS for the laptops. Right now they can program the GPU via CUDA (6 month+ head start on mainstream GPU computing). Again as the Nvidia spokesperson said, the code is very similar so it requires minor modification to become OpenCL code.

Apple might not do anything major themselves right now but they could easily provide minor but very noticeable changes to small software components. For example ichat encoding could be done in hardware, programmable Core Image effects, some quicktime components. Nothing major but still a preview of what we can expect.
  • Reply 103 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mausse View Post

Is that a SONY laptop? Don't like it all sorry Ive....

Still happy with my Timeless MBP design

We may say something different in a few months or half a year down the road, but that laptop in the the picture sure does look like a Vaio or something. I prefer my MBP too
  • Reply 104 of 159
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Update: The new MacBook Pro will reportedly feature two NVIDIA graphics cards, according to Engadget and our own sources -- an integrated GPU for normal use and a dedicated card that will be tapped when the extra power is needed.

I won't be buying right away if this is the case.

Quote:

Our sources add that the two chips will combine to support Hybrid SLI, where the integrated graphics chip would assist the GPU to boost performance when the MacBook Pro is plugged to a power socket while the dedicated chip would be shut down when the system was unplugged from power socket to lower overall graphics power consumption.

It should be noted that switching from integrated to discrete GP is an aspect of Centrino2,as well. I'm not sure of Intel got it workign correctly since the last time AnandTech tested it, I just don't want people incorrectly thinking this is an "Apple innovation".

Quote:

As such, Apple will also be touting some "sick" battery claims on these new notebooks, our sources claim.

This will be great. I hope they have included a switch in preferences to disallow the turning off of the GPU while running on battery.

Quote:

17-inch delay

On its blogs, AppleInsider also noted that a new 17-inch MacBook Pro is unlikely to surface tomorrow (though one exists in the labs), a bumped MacBook Air may not be immediately available for purchase, and that Blu-ray drives may not happen.

I can see the 17" being delayed, but why the MBA? Are the SFF (22m^2) Montevina/Penryn not in production yet?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Looks like they will use just the trackpad itself.

I personally turn of trackpad clicking because I get too many false positives.

Me too, but Apple has been making their trackpads more-and-more intellligent. Is it possible that it could only accept taps from the lower 5th of the trackpad and ignore all other taps, the way it ignores your palm resting on it, etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

Could Display port enable apple to finally show BlueRay media from their computers to their displays????

DVI, HDMI, and DP all allow for the HDCP needed for playing BD-Video, but I think the issue was the processor and MoBo not allowing for a completely secure path. I still don't foresee BRD in any of these Mac notebooks, but is it not possible that an external BRD could still not offer end-to-end HDCP encryption?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Every time a new display technology is released, Apple has to go and make their own proprietary version of the connector. Why is Apple so obsessed with making proprietary display connectors? What's wrong with using the standard DisplayPort connector?

Quote:

DisplayPort possible

The source who filed that reported added that the new MacBook Pro featured what appears to be a mini DisplayPort (possibly corroborating a recent blog post) rather than a mini DVI port.

DisplayPort makes sense, but the pic I saw looks like a Mini-DVI to me. However, DP is a protocol that can output both HDMI and DVI, so I foresee no technical reason why Apple can't reuse the Mini-DVI port on their machines so that older ACDs can easily connect to their new Macbooks, while simultaneously allowing their older Mac notebooks can connect to their ACDs.

In other words, unlike video port changes of the past, DisplayPort has the unique foresight to be able to be used with seamlessly with DVI so no new connector on the machine itself is actually needed. Now, has Apple made this Mini-DVI-looking port on these new machines capable of outputting the 10.8Gbps that DP can? I guess I'll have to go do some port pin counting...

edit: DisplayPort has 20-pins for the typical connector, while Mini-DVI has 32-pins, so there is a good deal of logic for Apple to reuse the MiniDVI connector to reduce cost and the number of cables that consumers would have to to potentially carry if they are moving their machines between new and old ACDs.
  • Reply 105 of 159
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

The model number of the $899 unit does not match that of a display. Displays are M9, computing devices are MB. It has to be a computer of some sort. It could be a tablet or a mini MB or a really stripped down MB.

Could it be the upgraded Mac Mini?

More likely the rumored low end Macbook...but I would think the same config would show up in the updated Mac Mini...
  • Reply 106 of 159
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

Maybe this design (if real) will grow on me, but I prefer the current MBP by quite a bit. The overall look of the new MBP just looks too much like a bulkier Air.

It's a real shame that Apple looks like it might force buyers into glossy MBP displays. Following this particular PC trend is not a good idea, IMO.

Also, having no trackpad button forces users to use tap-click and drag-clicking (which I despise). All MBPs already have "no trackpad button functionality," meaning that one can use the trackpad without the button simply by turning on dragging, tapping, and double clicking. Eliminating the button forces users to dispense with something that some of us really like.

The trackpad will be the button. You do know what a "button" is right? Where I come from buttons depress when you use a normal pressing force. I believe this is my third time stating this in as many pages.
  • Reply 107 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RTT View Post

Could these be all touchscreens?

The image looks like a large iphone/touch display.

Why would the screen be glass?

Richer color, blacks appear deeper. That argument looses legs when you realize the iMac has a glass display. Besides, it's about them looking good really, literal bling.
  • Reply 108 of 159
    jruijrui Posts: 24member
    Don't know if some one ask this already,

But anyone know what the resolution of the 15" LED MBP will be?

Thanks
  • Reply 109 of 159
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Thats probably the ugliest laptop Apple ever made.....
  • Reply 110 of 159
    s!kes!ke Posts: 28member
    EWWW @ KEYBOARDDDDD

I hate the MB and MBA keyboard.
  • Reply 111 of 159
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

More likely the rumored low end Macbook...but I would think the same config would show up in the updated Mac Mini...

I like that line of thinking very much. If we assume that the Macbook entry point is $1299, that's a $200 jump. the current Mini is $599-799 so a $200 jump of the average takes it to $899.

What we would see is the same processor in the Macbook, Nvidia GPUs, Mini Displayport, DVD burner like the $799 Mini.

That'll certainly stop people buying Minis as alternatives to their Apple TVs and force them to buy a 3rd party alternative instead.

It will also mean that people will get a powerful headless Mac at an affordable price.

Of course, it kind of takes away the Mini as a starter pack for PC users into the world of Mac but at the same time, it makes it into a machine where switchers aren't left with a situation where they need more power after switching and don't see anything they like and switch back.

I'm saying right now, I will place my order the day after the event if that $899 model is a souped up Mini. That's only about £550 where I am, which is still relatively cheap compared to PCs anyway. It's been 14 months since an update, bring on the Mini overhaul.
  • Reply 112 of 159
    jruijrui Posts: 24member
    What about windows XP/ Vista Drivers Support for this "Hybrid SLi" VGA? and power commutation?

I think that people using boot camp will have a lot of problem real soon....

Anyone thinking the same, or just me?

And what about the screen resolution for the 15" LED screen? any rumors?
  • Reply 113 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

Please let that be the long desired xMac! Not because I want one, but because I want to stop hearing people complain about not having one.
  • Reply 114 of 159
    If they are to announce a full touch screen MB or some tablet today that may explain why they'd hold off on updating the 17" model...
  • Reply 115 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meeksdigital View Post

I swear to god if the macbook pros have glossy-only displays with no option for matte (or matte as standard, come on!!) and no firewire 400, apple will lose any chance of me purchasing a new macbook pro from them too. as a professional photographer I swear by matte-only displays for a number of reasons, but mostly for the fact that they do not cause unwanted and distracting glare, which is a pain in the ASS to work with.

Don't let me down, Steve...

i hear ya.

As a photographer too, why would i want a screen that artificially alters the colour saturation and contrast? i want a true, matt, calibrated screen with zero glare.

But then what do Pros know in Apple's quest to appeal to the fashionistas...
  • Reply 116 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meeksdigital View Post

I swear to god if the macbook pros have glossy-only displays with no option for matte (or matte as standard, come on!!) and no firewire 400, apple will lose any chance of me purchasing a new macbook pro from them too. as a professional photographer I swear by matte-only displays for a number of reasons, but mostly for the fact that they do not cause unwanted and distracting glare, which is a pain in the ASS to work with.

Don't let me down, Steve...

Does any of that seem likely in any way, shape or form, to you?
  • Reply 117 of 159
    Websites keep telling keep telling me keep telling me that the MBP is going to be some graphical beast, but unless the 9400M can actually SLI with the 9600M GT this is complete BS.

If the 9400M can SLI with the 9600M GT via. GeForce Boost however, then yes, it will be. Especially with games which are now often optimised to be able to take advantage of SLI systems.

Thoughts?
  • Reply 118 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machead99 View Post

Websites keep telling keep telling me keep telling me that the MBP is going to be some graphical beast, but unless the 9400M can actually SLI with the 9600M GT this is complete BS.

If the 9400M can SLI with the 9600M GT via. GeForce Boost however, then yes, it will be. Especially with games which are now often optimised to be able to take advantage of SLI systems.

Thoughts?

What websites?
  • Reply 119 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The trackpad will be the button. You do know what a "button" is right? Where I come from buttons depress when you use a normal pressing force. I believe this is my third time stating this in as many pages.

My objections still apply if the trackpad is clickable like an iPod wheel. I do not l like to drag with the clicker.
  • Reply 120 of 159
    Ok, I got the date of the Mac touch wrong (though 2008 isn't over yet ) but what do you reckon of this prediction over a year ago for the new MacBooks in 2008?