Nokia leans on new N97 as best hope for an iPhone rival

Comments

• Reply 81 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I said you had to move the screen, you still have to click and drag it, the screen is still small on the iPhone.

I use the navigation keys on my phone to move around an oversized page. If you look at a Nokia phone they have a central button, with four buttons around them, the navigation keys, they provide the same functionality in all applications, they move around.

Just like you need to move around an oversized page on an iPhone, if doesn't magically move around based upon brain waves, you need to click the screen and drag it somewhere.

As for zooming, I don't know, i just navigate around the page, I don't zoom in and out.

It is not the first decline in their sales, it has happened before, and will happen again.

You don't zoom in and out.... BECAUSE YOU CAN'T.

It's one of the most useful things you can do, enlarge the page section to read it better.

<It is not the first decline in their sales, it has happened before, and will happen again.>

Smartphone sales.

Roberta Cozza:Principal analyst at Gartner - "Nokia is facing a slowdown in its smartphone sales. The company experienced its first-ever decline in the category."

What do you call a company that uses dumbphone sales to offset falling smartphone sales? Motorolla.

Period.
  • Reply 82 of 129
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Like I said, Rimm and Apple smartphone sales are up.

And the majority of sales for both companies are in North America.

Quote:

Nokia can't crack the North American market because the product launches

for better products started there. And stopped Nokia dead.

No, because Qualcomm sued them, stopping them from selling product there for a while. Plus the fact that Americans prefer to buy from American companies. Which is a fact.

Quote:

It won't help saying the iPhone isn't a winner and that Nokia will have an answer 6 or 7 months from now. If the iPhone wasn't a winner, Nokia wouldn't need an answer.

And DECLINING sales is the tell.

(not lower growth than expected, actual fewer unit sales..... ouch)

No, I will agree, the iPhone is a winner. In North America. ouch. They haven't cracked the international market, and with a single product, and an expensive single product, they never will.
  • Reply 83 of 129
    Quote:

Then why do I have zoom options in the browser on my Nokia phone?
  • Reply 84 of 129
    Quote:

No, because Qualcomm sued them, stopping them from selling product there for a while.

Nokia sales are declining, Rimm Sales are growing, Apple Sales are growing, and it's all because Nokia tried to steal Qualcomm's product?

And you think THAT's a plus for Nokia?

Quote:

Plus the fact that Americans prefer to buy from American companies. Which is a fact.

Tell that to Rimm!

Hey, gotta love that American company Toyota!

Quote:

No, I will agree, the iPhone is a winner.

Thank you.

Big of you, but thanks anyway.
  • Reply 85 of 129
    Quote:

Then why do I have zoom options in the browser on my Nokia phone?

Because Nokia doens't know any other way to do this, and as you said you don't use it.
  • Reply 86 of 129
    Quote:

Nokia sales are declining, Rimm Sales are growing, Apple Sales are growing, and it's all because Nokia tried to steal Qualcomm's product?

Nokia didn't try and steal Qualcomms product, Qualcomm was a patent troll.

Quote:

Tell that to Rimm!

ok, this is a bit embarrassing, I assumed you were from the US, um, I hate to tell you this, but RIMM is from Canada, and um, Canada is in North America, which makes them technically, and geographically American. Just because people will generalise and refer to Americans as being fromthe US, doesn't make it correct.

Quote:

Hey, gotta love that American company Toyota!

And where are those Toyotas manufactured?
  • Reply 87 of 129
    Quote:

Because Nokia doens't know any other way to do this, and as you said you don't use it.

You are starting to run out of ideas now...

I don't use this, and I have no need to, I can read my screen quite happily for what I use it for.
  • Reply 88 of 129
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Nokia can't crack the North American market because the product launches for better products started there. And stopped Nokia dead.

*sigh* This is what I hate about the iPhone. People who weren't interested in phones suddenly start thinking that they know about the industry and think that the history of phones started in 2006.

Nokia hasn't been successful in North America for a long time. They weren't doing well even before the iPhone was just a twinkle in Steve Jobs' eye.

The reasons are pretty complex but it essentially boils down to a fight between some of the most controlling carriers in the world and a company that didn't want to defile its products. Every time Nokia came to the table with a phone, the carriers decided that it was too open and had too many features. That's why the E61 had its WiFi removed for AT&T. That's why the App Store rejects applications.

Nokia's unwillingness to get into bed with Qualcomm is why it got out of the CDMA game completely. No CDMA = No Verizon/Sprint.

Quote:

It's one of the most useful things you can do, enlarge the page section to read it better.

Wow, that's a bold and yet amazing ignorant statement. Perhaps you should watch the promotional video that shows a user zooming in and out. Not that you'd need to do much zooming with a 640 pixel width screen.

Quote:

Roberta Cozza:Principal analyst at Gartner - "Nokia is facing a slowdown in its smartphone sales. The company experienced its first-ever decline in the category."

Apple has suffered negative growth in its iPhone sales before and yet they're now doing brilliantly. Times are tough, Nokia still sells around 3 times as many smartphones as its nearest competitor. It's not the end of the world. There's enough room in this marketplace for at least three big boys.
  • Reply 89 of 129
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    [QUOTE=RichL;1345932]*sigh* This is what I hate about the iPhone. People who weren't interested in phones suddenly start thinking that they know about the industry and think that the history of phones started in 2006.[\\QUOTE]

Finally someone said it out loud! And your analysis of Nokia's failure in the U.S Market propably has nailed most of the points of the real reasons (+ the fact that clamshell phones were a craze in the US which Nokia didn't seize etc.).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Apple has suffered negative growth in its iPhone sales before and yet they're now doing brilliantly. Times are tough, Nokia still sells around 3 times as many smartphones as its nearest competitor. It's not the end of the world. There's enough room in this marketplace for at least three big boys.

This is the thing I don't get on this site (yeah I know it's a FAN site for Apple). People keep bragging about the stellar growth percentages the iPhone has and compare it with established vendors. It's simple math.

When you start from zero, any growth will be huge percentage wise for some years. That's not surprising at all. Then when you have a vendor that has 80+% of the smartphone (Nokia) market and new entries come to the market, what do you expect will happen? Yep, the 80+% guys share will come down.

http://www.mobilephonedevelopment.com/archives/436

I mean the only other product that I can quickly think of with such marketshare is Microsoft Windows. Is it surprising, that it's market share is finally coming down? No. Will Microsoft die? No.

So please try to stay a bit more on the reality side of things. Apple is not the GOD in town, neither are the others the DEVIL in town. I don't think Nokia, Samsung HTC or RIM would have made the phones that they now have (Wave, N97) without the iPhone. iPhone has brought new life to the game and I cheer it along for that reason but at the same time I don't believe Apple is the only one that can make good phones. Competition is the pusher for innovation.

But think about the other scenario: Do you think Apple would innovate, if they had 80+% market share? I assure you they wouldn't. We need competition on the markets. Several equally strong players with the occasional market disruptor (á la iPhone and RIM) is a good thing. If Apple becomes a strong player (more models, more marketshare), good.

N97 looks like a good phone. Not necessarily designed to be an iPhone killer (there's other competition and markets to think about as well). As a device for business use for example, it may very well replace the E90 in corporate world (outside the US).

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 90 of 129
    Quote:

*sigh* This is what I hate about the iPhone. People who weren't interested in phones suddenly start thinking that they know about the industry and think that the history of phones started in 2006.

If the point you're making is that Nokia had a presence prior to 2006 and squandered it, point well taken.

Of course, Apple was getting into phones in 2005.....

Quote:

Nokia hasn't been successful in North America for a long time. They weren't doing well even before the iPhone was just a twinkle in Steve Jobs' eye.

And of course, in the more than four years that Apple has been phoning around, Nokia did what about their lack of success?

Quote:

The reasons are pretty complex but it essentially boils down to a fight between some of the most controlling carriers in the world and a company that didn't want to defile its products. Every time Nokia came to the table with a phone, the carriers decided that it was too open and had too many features. That's why the E61 had its WiFi removed for AT&T. That's why the App Store rejects applications.

But yet..... Apple seems to have no such problem.

Interesting, a conspericy by Verizon to benefit Apple and hurt Nokia?

Quote:

Nokia's unwillingness to get into bed with Qualcomm is why it got out of the CDMA game completely. No CDMA = No Verizon/Sprint.

I'm not sure what you're point is.

They couldn't get in the market before, but for some reason now they can?

Maybe getting their ass handed to them in this market was enough.... oh nevermind.

Quote:

Wow, that's a bold and yet amazing ignorant statement. Perhaps you should watch the promotional video that shows a user zooming in and out. Not that you'd need to do much zooming with a 640 pixel width screen.

You can keep saying, that it doesn't matter how hard or easy it is to do as others have, that you don't need to do because of the screen..... you can say that all you want.

The fact is, nobody has ever rated the Nokia easier to user and browse than the iPhone.

Let's be real.

Quote:

I don't think Apple has had the iPhone out there long enough to know for sure about growth comparisons, I think what you're probably referring to is when they didn't have a phone to sell on purpose. Which of course, create a decline in sales! \

What Nokia just had happen, is not lower growth, it's a decline in sales.

Look, I'm not a blind Apple Fanboy that just pumps the iPhone no matter what.

(although that is fun sometimes)

I think you'll find the real problem Nokia has had, is the same problem Motorola had, and Palm, and on and on and on.

(And Steve Balmer at Microsoft)

They all thought Apple could not "just come out with a phone".

You can go on and on, about how the Nokia phone does everything an iPhone does, as easy or better than it does, but it doesn't change the fact that every review out there rates the iPhone easier to use and every single maker of a phone on the planet is being asked about how "it will answer the iPhone".

I'm laughing at the idea that ANYONE would ask how Apple will "Answer" the Nokia phone that MIGHT come out sometime next summer.

(when apple has about 15,000 apps available for the iPhone)

Keep talking about how the options in the browser let you zoom, and buttons let you do things.

I notice nobody is asking how the iPhone will respond to it.

When Nokia does anything that gets that kind of response, we'll know Apple is no longer leading the pack and setting the playing field.

What will Apple do to answer the new Nokia handset? They'll yawn......
  • Reply 91 of 129
    Quote:

You don't use navigation keys on the iPhone.

It doesn't have keys, that's the point.

You simply focus on the thing you're interested in and deal with it.

So the iPhone is now telekinetic. Just think about where you want to go and just go. Even Apple didn't make such a stupid statement. With each passing post your rhetoric is more and more pathetic. Now, back into Steve Jobs pants with you.
  • Reply 92 of 129
    Quote:

It is not the first decline in their sales, it has happened before, and will happen again.

Don't waste your time trying to educate him about Nokia's history. Facts are not wasted on fanboys. They just go for the "ooh, ahh factor".
  • Reply 93 of 129
    Quote:

Like I said, Rimm and Apple smartphone sales are up.

For the first time in their history, Nokia had a DECLINE in theirs.

Apple and RIM (Hey Mr. Correction, do you mean RIM or RIMM?) are up in the US. How about in the UK, Mid East, Far East? These are parts of the world right?

Quote:

If the iPhone wasn't a winner, Nokia wouldn't need an answer.

My vote for the stupidest line in a post, in a forum, hell on the Internet.

Yeah, why innovate or bring new products out? We are winners. We don't need to do anything. Consumers will just give us money. DId you even think before you hit the enter key? Are you filtering anything before unleashing it on the world?
  • Reply 94 of 129
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Again, you're totally missing the point.

I'm not saying that Nokia will ever crack the US. I'm explaining why they historically haven't sold many phones there and why it isn't down to Apple.

However, the rest of the world is different. Nokia has 80% market share in countries such as India. In a lot of countries, Nokia has the kind of rock star status that Apple enjoys in the US. It's a hard concept to comprehend without seeing it firsthand.

Just because something isn't popular in the US does not mean that it isn't popular worldwide. Perhaps you can't see any reason why it could be popular, but it is. Just look at soccer.
  • Reply 95 of 129
    Quote:

Are you doing this on purpose. Why do you think there is now GSM? Qualcomm tried to corner the market on the tech, and the rest of the world told them to take a flying leap. Thus GSM was born. No one country or manufacture wanted to be locked into one technology owner with the license.

Quote:

Thank you.

Big of you, but thanks anyway.

Love the way you cherry picked his answer.
  • Reply 96 of 129
    [QUOTE=jahonen;1345950]
    Quote:

*sigh* This is what I hate about the iPhone. People who weren't interested in phones suddenly start thinking that they know about the industry and think that the history of phones started in 2006.[\\QUOTE]

Finally someone said it out loud! And your analysis of Nokia's failure in the U.S Market propably has nailed most of the points of the real reasons (+ the fact that clamshell phones were a craze in the US which Nokia didn't seize etc.).

This is the thing I don't get on this site (yeah I know it's a FAN site for Apple). People keep bragging about the stellar growth percentages the iPhone has and compare it with established vendors. It's simple math.

When you start from zero, any growth will be huge percentage wise for some years. That's not surprising at all. Then when you have a vendor that has 80+% of the smartphone (Nokia) market and new entries come to the market, what do you expect will happen? Yep, the 80+% guys share will come down.

http://www.mobilephonedevelopment.com/archives/436

I mean the only other product that I can quickly think of with such marketshare is Microsoft Windows. Is it surprising, that it's market share is finally coming down? No. Will Microsoft die? No.

So please try to stay a bit more on the reality side of things. Apple is not the GOD in town, neither are the others the DEVIL in town. I don't think Nokia, Samsung HTC or RIM would have made the phones that they now have (Wave, N97) without the iPhone. iPhone has brought new life to the game and I cheer it along for that reason but at the same time I don't believe Apple is the only one that can make good phones. Competition is the pusher for innovation.

But think about the other scenario: Do you think Apple would innovate, if they had 80+% market share? I assure you they wouldn't. We need competition on the markets. Several equally strong players with the occasional market disruptor (á la iPhone and RIM) is a good thing. If Apple becomes a strong player (more models, more marketshare), good.

N97 looks like a good phone. Not necessarily designed to be an iPhone killer (there's other competition and markets to think about as well). As a device for business use for example, it may very well replace the E90 in corporate world (outside the US).

Regs, Jarkko

Jarkko and RichL best posters ever !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 97 of 129
    Quote:

Again, you're totally missing the point.

I'm not saying that Nokia will ever crack the US. I'm explaining why they historically haven't sold many phones there and why it isn't down to Apple.

However, the rest of the world is different. Nokia has 80% market share in countries such as India. In a lot of countries, Nokia has the kind of rock star status that Apple enjoys in the US. It's a hard concept to comprehend without seeing it firsthand.

Just because something isn't popular in the US does not mean that it isn't popular worldwide. Perhaps you can't see any reason why it could be popular, but it is. Just look at soccer.

Actually it is football, but soccer will do.

Wbrasington needs to leave his mothers basement, get a passport and do a bit of traveling. It is funny how no one talks about the millions, literally millions of people that do not want an iPhone but are actually looking forward to the N97.
  • Reply 98 of 129
    Quote:

And of course, in the more than four years that Apple has been phoning around, Nokia did what about their lack of success?

I don't know why I bother replying to you, you are a rabid fanboy who believes there is nothing better than Apple. North America is a very small mobile market, it is only starting to improve. That is why you are having larger growths than other regions (other than China of course).

We are constantly told that the Americas (and mostly the US) is the most important economy in the world, yet the Americas (I assume you don't need another geography lesson???) only makes up 10% of the world mobile market, maybe they thought they would spend a little effort on more advanced markets?

Quote:

But yet..... Apple seems to have no such problem.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06...mm_import_ban/

Now why wasn't the original iPhone 3G??? Oh, did you believe the story from Steve about the battery life?

Quote:

Look, I'm not a blind Apple Fanboy that just pumps the iPhone no matter what.

Um, yes you are

Quote:

(when apple has about 15,000 apps available for the iPhone)

Most of which are crap. Then again, there are over 20000 S60 apps available

Quote:

Keep talking about how the options in the browser let you zoom, and buttons let you do things.

I notice nobody is asking how the iPhone will respond to it.

Maybe because people don't care?

Quote:

What will Apple do to answer the new Nokia handset? They'll yawn......

Seeing as Nokia has sold some 225 million S60 phones, I think Apple will do more than yawn
  • Reply 99 of 129
    Quote:

I don't know why I bother replying to you, you are a rabid fanboy who believes there is nothing better than Apple. North America is a very small mobile market, it is only starting to improve. That is why you are having larger growths than other regions (other than China of course).

We are constantly told that the Americas (and mostly the US) is the most important economy in the world, yet the Americas (I assume you don't need another geography lesson???) only makes up 100% of the world mobile market, maybe they thought they would spend a little effort on more advanced markets?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06...mm_import_ban/

Now why wasn't the original iPhone 3G??? Oh, did you believe the story from Steve about the battery life?

Um, yes you are

Most of which are crap. Then again, there are over 20000 S60 apps available

Maybe because people don't care?

Seeing as Nokia has sold some 225 million S60 phones, I think Apple will do more than yawn

You are my hero. I would pretty much say that this is no contest.
  • Reply 100 of 129
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    This is Cringely's view on the matter:

""Sticking with Samsung for a moment, then, which of the two free software platforms is the company likely to endorse? That's a good question. Symbian has a very strong presence in Japan, which is an important market for Samsung, so I don't see them abandoning Symbian immediately. But in the longer term I think Samsung WILL abandon Symbian, as will most of the rest of the world.

Here's why (donning flameproof clothing): Symbian is simply too old. The OS is getting slower and slower with each release. The GUIs are getting uglier and are not user-friendly. The development environment is particularly bad, which wouldn't hurt if there weren't others that are so much better. Symbian C++, for example, is not a standard C++. There is little momentum in the Symbian developer community, maybe because coding for Symbian is a pain. Yes, there are way more Symbian phones in circulation, but those phones will be gone 18 months from now, probably replaced by phones with a different OS. Lately, Symbian's success has been primarily based on the high quality of Nokia hardware, on the loyalty of NTT DoCoMo, and now on the lure of being recently made open source and therefore free. But if open source developers don't flock now to Symbian (they aren't as far as I can see -- at least not yet) then the OS is doomed.

My guess is that in time Samsung, like Motorola, will devote its smartphone development 100 percent to Android.""

Since that was written, Nokia have given up on Japan.

Nokia continue to disenfranchise Symbian developers with a roadmap that clearly leads to Linux.

I *personally* love iPhone, I am a fanboi, but I can see it is not perfect for some users. They want stuff like the ability to edit Word Documents on their telephone. But my guess is that those users will be drawn towards the rapidly evolving Android platform more than towards Symbian.

C.