Apple declares iPhone a challenger to Nintendo DS

Comments

• Reply 61 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There was a rumor going round Belkin were working on one but it turns out they aren't:

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/09/01/belki...ans-sneak-out/

It would have folded in half so you could put it in your pocket.

I can see why you wouldn't want it to be honest because it would be awkward if someone called you while that was attached.

I don't actually think that a physical add-on is needed, just better thought put into the games by developers. Some accelerometer games actually control very well but others are terrible as the car moves too quickly based on the movement so you just end up bouncing off the walls all the time.

Thanks for the link Marvin, following it I found a better product than that foldy one, as that seemed a bit flimsy. Its called iControlPad. Very cool. Only problem is that it only works with Jailbroken hardware, which is a bit lame, but that is only because of a lack of support from His Jobness.

It doesn't say on the website what happens when call comes in, but as I said before I think it would be cool if you could use your normal iPhone headphone with a mic and simply answer the call.

Also, as I said before it would be great to connect via Airtunes at home to the stereo/wifi to Apple TV.. one can dream.

Maybe you have a liking for driving games, but as an earlier poster said, so many of those games are around already..

Maybe Apple could buy them out and sell them for themselves (as long as they didn't jack up the cost too much)? It certainly seems like it would have a bigger market than the iPod HiFi that came out a while ago. Man, that thing was terribly overpriced.
  • Reply 62 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

To be a gaming platform with any credability, you need good games, not just truck loads of terrible games.

There is absolutely nothing on the iPhone to challenge even mid level DS or PSP fodder, let alone the AAA stuff on those platforms. The lack of buttons is always going to be a serious handicap, but also is the lack of quality developers available to Apple. Nintendo and Sony have amazing internal teams, which take years and lots of cash to build.

Apple should just focus on things the iPhone is actually good at, and pull their finger out and give us much in demand features like turn by turn GPS.

I don't most of the posters get that, because they aren't gamers, or haven't grown up with them.

Game franchisees sell the systems, not the other way around. Nintendo has been selling the Game Boy and various incarnations for nearly 20 years, and in spite of the best efforts of Atari, Sega, SNK, Tiger, and even Sony, they buried them all, primarily due to Tetris, Mario, and Zelda.

Graphical potential and processing power mean absolutely jack all, without the games. I have a PSP, it's much more powerful than the DS, but the DS still kills it in sales. Also, it helps that the DS is cheaper than the PSP, which I don't see a lot of parents plunking down $229/300/400 for an iPod Touch, when they can get a DS for $129 or even a PSP for $169.

Marvin, the DS is not targeted to older gamers, most of it is targeted towards kids and the casual gamer, a cursory glance at it's library would tell you that. The PSP is, and looking at it's library, of games like GoW, NFS, GTA, etc would tell you that.

It would take the likes of the major developers on the iPhone, like Konami, Capcom, Sega, Valve, and so on, for people to really take notice.

The gaming market, and handhelds especially is area that Apple, just like most everyone that has tried to tackle Nintendo would get killed in. If Apple wanted to dip their toes, that's one thing, and that's all I see them really doing ATM, but if they think they can just waltz in and dominate the market, they'll likely get their asses handed to them.
  • Reply 63 of 121
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Sega, EA and Gameloft some of the big names already developing games for Apples dual platforms (iPhone/iPod Touch).

Someone from Sega was saying the launch of Monkeyball with 500,000 sales was their most successful launch ever, on any platform.

At this point in time the other big name game publishers will be looking very closely at how well their competitors do with Apple.
  • Reply 64 of 121
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,336moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Only problem is that it only works with Jailbroken hardware, which is a bit lame, but that is only because of a lack of support from His Jobness.

I'm not sure how they can guarantee support for apps though. Touch controls in iphone apps are so varied that mapping controls to buttons would be almost impossible in some games meaning you have to use both touch and buttons.

I think to be successful, there has to be an official Apple add-on but I don't think they'll do it because it's like them admitting touch controls aren't quite good enough.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness

Marvin, the DS is not targeted to older gamers, most of it is targeted towards kids and the casual gamer, a cursory glance at it's library would tell you that. The PSP is, and looking at it's library, of games like GoW, NFS, GTA, etc would tell you that.

I mean older as in 40+ is an additional target market for the DS. They would rather have a useful device like a phone that also did games than a dedicated gaming device. They don't care so much about the franchises like Pokemon or Mario and just want useful apps. Having 3G has a benefit over the DS of being online almost anywhere you go.

I agree with you they need support from big developers but they do have some already. I think the biggest names will start the ball rolling. You won't see games come out immediately as they take months to build and test but during 2009, a few big games will come to the app store.

id have expressed their interest too and Carmack is one of the best people for optimizing performance out of hardware, hence why Quake 3 is often used for benchmarks. A few games can build from an id engine.
  • Reply 65 of 121
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Five months the App store has been open, here are a couple of examples, there are many others:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIh8cXmWgmk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q462DiWU_5E

Look what happens when you pay developers 70% of the revenue stream, protect their IP from piracy and make it extremely easy for customers make purchases.

Console?

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paed...ing-device.ars

You need to try playing a good DS or PSP game. The games you listed wouldn't even register on the DS or PSP scene. Go and play a great DS game such as Zelda The Phantom Hourglass, or a great PSP game like Final Fantasy Crisis Core.

What could happen on the iPhone, and I'm surprised it hasn't so far, is companies like Capcom could port their extremely touch screen friendly DS games like Phoenix Wright to the platform.
  • Reply 66 of 121
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

You need to try playing a good DS or PSP game. The games you listed wouldn't even register on the DS or PSP scene. Go and play a great DS game such as Zelda The Phantom Hourglass, or a great PSP game like Final Fantasy Crisis Core.

What could happen on the iPhone, and I'm surprised it hasn't so far, is companies like Capcom could port their extremely touch screen friendly DS games like Phoenix Wright to the platform.

I chose those games specifically to show how the supposed obstacle of not having a d-pad/ joystick and buttons has been addressed by Gameloft, the games are quite playable, the graphics are stunning.
  • Reply 67 of 121
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

what can't the iphone do? its a phone, mobile internet device, music player, and now gaming platform. The App Store is making it the most versitile device that defies catagories.

It still can't use memory cards, make me dinner or do my homework. Oh, and I still can't easily replace the battery.
  • Reply 68 of 121
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    I think Nintendo has demonstrated since 1989 that "more powerful" portable systems does not equal success. The Atari Lynx, Sega Game Gear, Sega Nomad and even the Sony PSP have all been technically superior to the Game Boy/DS line, and yet have never been able to overtake Nintendo.
  • Reply 69 of 121
    bollywood makes more movies than hollywood, but not better ones, perhaps the iphone/touch will make more money than the ds or psp but not be a better platform.
  • Reply 70 of 121
    Quote:

The new generation from Imagination is the PowerVR "SGX" line, and it has actually been out for quite a while now! If they combine an PowerVR SGX with the new ARM Cortex-A8 core for the next iPhone/Touch, it is going to blow away what we're seeing now!

It's only a matter of time before Apple get to it, I guess.

In the meantime, the iPod Touch and iPhone are going to blow away the opposition, DS or PSP.

The App store is a crap shoot to begin with. And Sega made some hot money with their monkey game. But look at the iTunes music success story. Apple-ply that to games and Apple will turn the games industry upside down. In fact, they already have. We just aren't going to see the end of the shockwave for sometime...

As for 'touch' controls. It was the same with joysticks, keyboard and mouse, the Wii controller. How long before developers figure it out in the quest for the gold mine that the App store is going to become or already is? App store and iPhone haven't been out that long in the scheme of things...

The 'third great age' is upon us.

I hope, Sony, M$ and Nokia are sitting comfortably...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 71 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OptionTrader View Post

The tendency to masturbate on these forums has ignored the recession as well...

??? Explain ???
  • Reply 72 of 121
    First and foremost, the Iphone is a phone. Yes it can do a great deal of operations, but for one to say the phone is a gaming system that can compete with a true game built system is nutty as a fruitcake. I just don't want Apple to start focusing on turning it into a gaming platform. That is not its purpose. If you are purchasing this phone just to game, then waste your money. But I am for one using it for is true purpose...a communication devise.
  • Reply 73 of 121
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

what can't the iphone do? its a phone, mobile internet device, music player, and now gaming platform. The App Store is making it the most versitile device that defies catagories.

I'd trade the gaming part for A2DP without having to buy a $40+ add-on that shouldn't be necessary.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

it's got one button.

It's worst than that in this perspective. As far as I've seen, none of the buttons on iPhone/Touch are reassignable in applications.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

You don't get it. The iPhone runs OS X. This is a back door play into the gaming market.

The Wii's free ride will soon be over. Developers will be able to program for the handheld, desktop and console market with OS X.

It will be interesting to see which gets a DVD player first, the Wii or the Apple TV.

First, we have to see if Apple does anything to extend AppleTV like that.

The fact they all run some form of OS X is nice, but the apps still need to be reworked some because of different user interfaces and I understand that the APIs are different too.

I don't understand why either the Wii or the AppleTV has to have a DVD player. It's not as if a lot of console owners don't already have a few DVD players.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

I agree completely:

1) you can't view the future through a rear view mirror

2) future hardware/firmware releases by Apple will define success or failure, not what's here and now

Maybe people make a bit too much hay about no buttons, but to assume the lack of buttons isn't an issue at all is a little silly too. It doesn't help to repeat a marketing talking point either.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I agee. I don't think Nintendo or Sony have to be driven out of the business for Apple to succeed. They can all certainly coexist.

Of course. The all-or-nothing viewpoint that so many people seem to hold dear isn't a realistic view of the market place. People talk as if being #2 market-wise means being banished from the face of the earth.

Quote:

At the same time their is a finite market for portable gaming. A small number of those 6 billion can afford or are interested in video games. Sony, Nintendo, and Apple will have to compete for that finite number.

I'm not sure if they are really competing for the same market. There is some overlap but there are some distinctions too.
  • Reply 74 of 121
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kulak18 View Post

First and foremost, the Iphone is a phone. Yes it can do a great deal of operations, but for one to say the phone is a gaming system that can compete with a true game built system is nutty as a fruitcake. I just don't want Apple to start focusing on turning it into a gaming platform. That is not its purpose. If you are purchasing this phone just to game, then waste your money. But I am for one using it for is true purpose...a communication devise.

You're talking about different facets of the same device. Purpose built-machines will still be made, but I get the sense that they will be gradually pushed to the side as devices can serve multiple purposes without severe compromises to any given kind of use. I don't see Apple making changes to gaming that would hurt other uses of the platform. I don't think anyone is even suggesting buying the i-devices just for games - it looks like you're the only one that suggested that possibility, maybe you read that into someone's quotes.

I don't even think Apple needs to hit the desires of the dedicated handheld users head-on. I think this system can easily expand the market for handheld games without taking a noticeable bite out of the DS/PSP market. Growing the market by giving more people access to good software to pass the time, without having to carry another device. In the past, I have made special stops at stores to buy games, even a game system, just for a given trip. Now, I can get access to games from anywhere just by pressing the App store button and downloading one.
  • Reply 75 of 121
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    I was amazed to read that, in terms of market capitalization (how much it would cost to own the whole company if you could buy every share at today's market price), Nintendo is the second "biggest" company in Japan, after only Toyota. This was a few months ago, so things could have changed a bit, but still that's a staggering fact. What do they make? Wii, DS, Pokemon stuff, and uh games for their own platforms.

My take on Apple telling developers that the iPod/iPhone is a gaming platform is 1) to state the obvious and make sure developers don't over look it's potential and 2) a recognition that there is MAJOR money in gaming, especially casual gaming. As others have said Wii doesn't have the best hardware in terms of computing power, but according to the market it is the preferred home gaming platform. The DS doesn't have the power of the PSP, but it is the preferred handheld platform. There are lots of reasons for this--including unique access to some franchise game brands, but Apple no doubt aware of this situation and salivating at the possibilities. Maybe they will do like MS did when they locked up the Halo franchise by buying Bungie.

But this is really not about Apple "beating" Nintendo and Sony. It's about taking a page out of Nintendo's playbook and making a lot of money with a few products that people can't get enough of. When Wii first came out it didn't "compete" with the PS3 and XBox, it opened up the market to millions of people who were never considering getting a gaming system. I don't want to sound sexist or silly, but it's true in my experience: mom's love the Wii (Wii sports and the like not the games available on every platform) whereas they have no interest in XBox games.

As to the person who asked if it's still 1997 because Pokemon is being mentioned. Wake up, the Pokemon franchise is bigger than ever and worth billions. Apple can't do anything about that, but they can realize the value of a franchise brand in the gaming market.
  • Reply 76 of 121
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I don't most of the posters get that, because they aren't gamers, or haven't grown up with them.

Game franchisees sell the systems, not the other way around. Nintendo has been selling the Game Boy and various incarnations for nearly 20 years, and in spite of the best efforts of Atari, Sega, SNK, Tiger, and even Sony, they buried them all, primarily due to Tetris, Mario, and Zelda.

Graphical potential and processing power mean absolutely jack all, without the games. I have a PSP, it's much more powerful than the DS, but the DS still kills it in sales. Also, it helps that the DS is cheaper than the PSP, which I don't see a lot of parents plunking down $229/300/400 for an iPod Touch, when they can get a DS for $129 or even a PSP for $169.

It would take the likes of the major developers on the iPhone, like Konami, Capcom, Sega, Valve, and so on, for people to really take notice.

The gaming market, and handhelds especially is area that Apple, just like most everyone that has tried to tackle Nintendo would get killed in. If Apple wanted to dip their toes, that's one thing, and that's all I see them really doing ATM, but if they think they can just waltz in and dominate the market, they'll likely get their asses handed to them.

Apple will still sell iphones and touches regardless of what people think it is. Apple are just telling people that they can also use the device to play games and more games are being developed for it. The aren't even trying to take over the gaming market, they are just increasing the potential markets for the iphone and touch so people who are into casual games consider it.
  • Reply 77 of 121
    Yes, the best way to describe the iPhone is that it is a "mutli-purpose device".

Which is why I believe its sales will grow to the point that it becomes the "hand-held computing platform of the 21st Century".
  • Reply 78 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Pokemon? Is it still 1997?

Are you still in a hole? Pokemon has remained one of the best selling franchises year to year. Fact.

Also, whats all this comparing of iPhone sales to DS sales? Last I checked, they are two distinct products aimed at two separate markets (with some minute degree of overlay), with different prices. Sales figures cannot be used. And the iPhone overcoming the DS or PSP? Sorry, just isn't going to happen. We've seen this story before: those who are serious about taking pictures (even a casual user) will go buy a dedicated camera that's capable of taking 8+ MP photos, has zoom/flash, and comes loaded with image settings; they are not going to use their cellphone camera which (by all accounts) is incredibly limited in functionality. Likewise, most gamers will laugh at the thought of using an iPhone as a dedicated gaming console. For now (and probably for sometime to come), it will remain just like the cellphone camera: a gimmick you use on the side.
  • Reply 79 of 121
    I guess I'll continue my thoughts further with a few more points. I really don't see how it would be a wise move for Apple to start positioning the iPhone as a gaming device through loose-mouthed executives. Sure, Apple has come into markets before with innovative, game-changing products (pun intended). However, if their recent remarks represent a larger underlying intention, Apple better evaluate this move carefully, as the gaming industry is a VERY entrenched market. The strong-arm tactics Apple used to muscle their way into the music and cellphones markets will not be so useful in the gaming market. First of all, look at the major players that would exist as Apple's potential market rivals: Nintendo and Sony, and Microsoft (to a lesser extent because Microsoft has no dedicated portable gaming device). But lets consider the "Big 3" for a moment. Nintendo and Sony are massive companies in and of themselves with huge war chests (Nintendo > Sony), not to mention they've been all-out assaulting each other on the gaming battlefront in the console wars for nearly 15 years now. With Microsoft, it has taken them many years to nudge their way in (after Sega lost out) as a somewhat viable 3rd alternative. Even now, Microsoft only enjoys moderate success in Europe and North America; sales have continued to be dismal in Japan (a.k.a. the litmus test of the gaming industry) with the Xbox residing in the shadows of Nintendo and Sony.

Also, Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo (suspicious acronym: MSN) are the same in that they not only produce gaming consoles, they also develop games in-house (Microsoft and Sony having dedicated gaming units, Nintendo is a full-out game company). Apple currently lacks such a dedicated business unit, even a game-centric unit at minimum. To expect 3rd party developers to provide games for your device just because it exists is a bit presumptuous. Sure, 3rd party developers are free to choose who they want to develop for, but why do they develop games for some consoles/devices and not others? Its usually a combination of gamer audience and console capability (i.e. features). And what is so special about the iPhone as a gaming device? Its accelerometer? There is little to doubt that Sony and Nintendo are busy at their revision boards planning to incorporate accelerometers in future versions of the PSP and DS. What else is there about the iPhone-as-gaming-device that's so special? The touch screen? Nintendo already has that one down (somewhat), and touch will inevitably come to the PSP as well. After that, the iPhone's gaming function becomes a matter of gimmick and convenience (like a cellphone's camera).

The truth is, people don't rush out to buy a cellphone for its gaming capabilities, nor do they rush out to buy a cellphone for its camera. They buy a cellphone because its a phone, primarily. Not everyone who buys a cellphone is a gamer, enjoys playing games, or even cares about games for that matter. However, everyone who buys a dedicated gaming device/console does so because they enjoy gaming, or is a gift to someone who enjoys gaming. And therein lies Apple's dilemma. Don't get me wrong, I hold nothing personal against the iPhone, I just believe its a bad business move for Apple if they really are looking to move into the gaming industry.
  • Reply 80 of 121
    I was just thinking about how apple could support game development for the iPhone. What if apple were to buy a company like unity and "integrate" their game development tools/applications into the iPhone SDK?