NVIDIA insider chimes in on new iMacs, mini and Mac Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    Apparently only Apple hasn?t realized that we are in a World Wide Recession and that price point with cutting edge features is going to make the analyst?s move the stock up or down.

Let?s hope Apple has CUT the Apple Tax and is giving both performance with a price that matches its competitors.

OSX is great, but Apple seems to get more wrong these days than right. Let?s hope Steve will get out of the day to day and turn it over to the new generation that understands this.

Keep in mind this is coming from a 48 year old person.
  • Reply 22 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UkuleleSHIMA View Post

I think an announcement of this caliber would show the world that even without Jobs, Apple's still got it and that its the company, not the man. Now whether you agree with that...

All I can say is I've been hoping for new imacs since I'm in the market to finally get one but I've been waiting until MW. If the 28' i7 rumor is true, oh baby, that's the imac for me. name your price apple!

No matter how great the product announces are, the fact that Jobs isn't taking stage doesn't mean that Jobs wasn't key to the products themselves. The only thing we will be able to judge is if the keynote is better, worse or the same with the announcement of new Apple products sans Jobs.
  • Reply 23 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Let?s hope Apple has CUT the Apple Tax and is giving both performance with a price that matches its competitors.

While reducing the "Apple Tax", better known as "profit margin" the stock may go up a little for short time, but the quarterly earnings would show a drop in percentage per unit sale, which could then drastically hurt the stock. It's a tricky game to move pricepoints. We'll know if Apple has been badly hurt this holiday quarter soon enough.
  • Reply 24 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While reducing the "Apple Tax", better known as "profit margin" the stock may go up a little for short time, but the quarterly earnings would show a drop in percentage per unit sale, which could then drastically hurt the stock. It's a tricky game to move pricepoints. We'll know if Apple has been badly hurt this holiday quarter soon enough.

Quartly earnings mean nothing to the stock market (Apple has proved that the last 5 quarters). Apple has dropped 57% (last I checked) and I don't care if Apple make a ton of money. My money is in their stock.

They are making bad choices for the Market and that is what I care about.
  • Reply 25 of 109
    Quote:

Quartly earnings mean nothing to the stock market.

Quarterly earnings and projections help people determine if a company is worth investing in. If Apple's earning for calender Q4-2008 were to drop considerably you can bet that people will be selling off their stock in droves.
  • Reply 26 of 109
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't think Apple should cut their prices, they should try to make the computers worth the extra. Bundle more software. Write some more iApps. Make OS X faster and more secure than Windows 7.

But I do agree they have made some odd decisions lately. The computers haven't changed appearance for ages. And I hope the rumors about web based apps are false.
  • Reply 27 of 109
    Quote:

Quarterly earnings and projections help people determine if a company is worth investing in. If Apple's earning for calender Q4-2008 were to drop considerably you can bet that people will be selling off their stock in droves.

As I said in my last posting. Apple is making a TON of money and their stock has dropped in half this year alone (which is supposed to be their year).

I could care less how much money Apple makes. I care about my stock and Apple needs a restructuring from the ground up to make the stock go back up.

5%-10% of the end users care about OSX and 95-100% care about the profit of Apple Stock if they own it. If the amount of Apple users are correct.

I made a bad investment and have lost the chance to write it off in 2008. My mistake, now I either wait it out or sell as 57% of the market has chosen to do.

I'm not an Apple Fan anymore. I own an iPhone and a Dell computer that has more features than the top of the line new MPB and a total cost with shipping and a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard with built in HDMI for $1,300.
  • Reply 28 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't think Apple should cut their prices, they should try to make the computers worth the extra. Bundle more software. Write some more iApps. Make OS X faster and more secure than Windows 7.

But I do agree they have made some odd decisions lately. The computers haven't changed appearance for ages. And I hope the rumors about web based apps are false.

OSX faster is not going to change years of bad decisions.

Apple has made money on iTunes, iPhone and iPods and the people that are not aware that they can get a faster computer/laptop and better monitor for much less money.
  • Reply 29 of 109
    Quote:

Apparently only Apple hasn’t realized that we are in a World Wide Recession and that price point with cutting edge features is going to make the analyst’s move the stock up or down.

Let’s hope Apple has CUT the Apple Tax and is giving both performance with a price that matches its competitors.

OSX is great, but Apple seems to get more wrong these days than right. Let’s hope Steve will get out of the day to day and turn it over to the new generation that understands this.

Keep in mind this is coming from a 48 year old person.

You forgot to add, "Who doesn't own or use a Mac."

Did you ever stop to think just how many parts of that "MS XP laptop" you have or the number of software applications that you use are because of Steve Jobs? Dumb question, I know. It must be pretty hard to see the flowers when you eyes are full of crap.
  • Reply 30 of 109
    Quote:

As I said in my last posting. Apple is making a TON of money and their stock has dropped in half this year alone (which is supposed to be their year).

If only their was some economic crisis that could be affecting companies despite their earnings. Oh yeah, that thing I just said.

Quote:

I'm not an Apple Fan anymore. I own an iPhone and a Dell computer that has more features than the top of the line new MPB and a total cost with shipping and a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard with built in HDMI for $1,300.

You'll almost always find an non-Mac PC with more HW "features" and at lower cost than a Mac PC. I don't beleive you about your keyboard with built in HDMI. That makes no sense so I assume that was just worded incorrectly, and that it's the Dell that has HDMI, but either way, Macs have DVI, so I am not sure what point you are getting at with that. You aren't going to find any halfway decent PCs these days that don't have DVI or HDMI, and soon DP. HDMi is more likely found on those marketed as Home Theater PCs.
  • Reply 31 of 109
    Oh please be a Mac Pro update.
  • Reply 32 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Did you ever stop to think just how many parts of that "MS XP laptop" you have or the number of software applications that you use are because of Steve Jobs? Dumb question, I know. It must be pretty hard to see the flowers when you eyes are full of crap.

I switched to Dell in December and have owned and do own countless Macs.

Don't crusify without all the facts.

Have you seen my screen name? I should change it to Mac Used To Be.
  • Reply 33 of 109
    Quote:

OSX faster is not going to change years of bad decisions.

Apple has made money on iTunes, iPhone and iPods and the people that are not aware that they can get a faster computer/laptop and better monitor for much less money.

Yet up until the iPhone 3G release in multiple countries the Mac segment was Apple's biggest profit center.

PS: I find it funny that you talk about bad decisions while using a Dell running Windows.

Quote:

Did you ever stop to think just how many parts of that "MS XP laptop" you have or the number of software applications that you use are because of Steve Jobs?

The last Mac presentation Jobs mentioned that the auto-freezing HDD was invented at Apple. I wonder how much of the HW used in PCs was influenced by Jobs, as well.
  • Reply 34 of 109
    Quote:

Name one part of my Dell Computer or XP that Steve Jobs can take credit for?

Did you forget Steve Jobs stold the GUI from Xerox? That is your hero.
  • Reply 35 of 109
    Quote:

Yet up until the iPhone 3G release in multiple countries the Mac segment was Apple's biggest profit center.

PS: I find it funny that you talk about bad decisions while using a Dell running Windows.

The last Mac presentation Jobs mentioned that the auto-freezing HDD was invented at Apple. I wonder how much of the HW used in PCs was influenced by Jobs, as well.

About as many os the Monitors, Nvideo bad Video Cards. iPhone 3G software that wasn't stable until 2.2.

How many other examples would you like me to state before you realize you are Steve Jobs and Apples Beta Testers.
  • Reply 36 of 109
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Name one part of my Dell Computer or XP that Steve Jobs can take credit for?

Did you forget Steve Jobs stold the GUI from Xerox? That is your hero.

You should get your facts straight before you start shooting off at the mouth. Apple bought the rights to the GUI from Xerox. Unlike Windows buying the rights to the GUI from Apple, right after Xerox brought up the lawsuit. They settled out of court.
  • Reply 37 of 109
    Quote:

I switched to Dell in December and have owned and do own countless Macs.

Don't crusify without all the facts.

Have you seen my screen name? I should change it to Mac Used To Be.

Not according to what you have already posted.
  • Reply 38 of 109
    Quote:

If only their was some economic crisis that could be affecting companies despite their earnings. Oh yeah, that thing I just said.

You'll almost always find an non-Mac PC with more HW "features" and at lower cost than a Mac PC. I don't beleive you about your keyboard with built in HDMI. That makes no sense so I assume that was just worded incorrectly, and that it's the Dell that has HDMI, but either way, Macs have DVI, so I am not sure what point you are getting at with that. You aren't going to find any halfway decent PCs these days that don't have DVI or HDMI, and soon DP. HDMi is more likely found on those marketed as Home Theater PCs.

My keyboard doesn't have built in HDMI my Dell 1530 Laptop does. The Point is DVI is not a standard by anyone but Apple and I don't need Apple TV or an adaptor (another Apple TAX) to download Netflix via the Internet to watch Movies.

My computer hooks up to my Sony TV with 1 cable and I have both Internet and Computer on my 52" plasma and it looks fantastic.
  • Reply 39 of 109
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Provocatively, however, Shrout also claims to have received word of a new, 28-inch version that would mark a radical break from its smaller counterparts.

Instead of using the 9400M as its foundation, the system would use Intel's X58 chipset and a processor using the Core i7 (previously codenamed Nehalem) architecture. As a result, it would not only include the four cores thought to be present in the upcoming Core 2-based iMac updates but would gain HyperThreading support that at times mimics the behavior of an eight-core system. NVIDIA at most would be used for dedicated graphics in the all-in-one computer.

At long last, Apple is treating its iMac as a consumer desktop computer, equipped with Intel's current generation desktop CPU, a quad-core Core i7 processor said to be 20% more powerful than a quad-core Penryn.

Quad-core desktop CPUs have been available from Intel since November 2007, yet Apple didn't use any in its iMacs. Now that the Core i7 is available, it would have been impossible to ignore the discrepancy between Macs and Wintel desktops.

The Intel Core i7 desktop microprocessor was officially introduced on November 17, 2008. See:

Intel unleashes Core i7, beats itself @ http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40213/135/

Core i7 PCs launch with prices from $1250 to $13,000 @ http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40227/135/

For the low cost iMacs, Intel is also planning to launch three 65W low-power desktop CPUs targeting small form factor (SFF) PCs and all-in-one PCs in the middle of January 2009. Intel will launch the Core 2 Quad Q8200s (2.33GHz/4MB L2), Core 2 Quad Q9400s (2.66GHz/6MB L2) and Core 2 Quad Q9550s (2.83GHz/12MB L2) with prices at US$245, US$320 and US$369, respectively in thousand-unit tray quantities. See:

Intel to launch 65W desktop CPUs for all-in-one PCs @ http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40267/139/

The Core 2 Quad Q6600 65 nm CPU has been available for $266 since November 2007, and $224 since April 20, 2008. See:

- Intel to cut 65 nm quad-core processor prices for 45 nm @ http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36136/139/

- Intel drops second quad-core CPU into the mainstream @ http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37038/135/

- Have quad-core processors arrived in the mainstream? @ http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36548/135/

- Intel adds cheap dual-core, quad-core @ http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39135/135/

Building a competitive desktop computer shows respect for Mac customers, as opposed to taking them for granted.

• Reply 40 of 109
    Quote:

Not according to what you have already posted.

I've owned Macs from the 512Ke. Check my history on my posting and it's backs it up 100

%.