Blu-ray vs. DVD/VOD (2009)

Comments

• Reply 181 of 668
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

The bottomline of this whole matter is that 720p encoded video is enough for most people and the advantage of getting the movie for free and playing it unlimited times is the winner. Paying bluray expensive fees and limited time rentals is not worth the slight (yes, slight) improvement in quality (and we are not even touching the $400 price of admittance for a bluray player.

VOD/torrent freeloading is here to stay.

Bluray may fade into oblivion pretty soon, especially as the internet gets faster and distributed computing is exploding so that encoding/decoding will no longer become an issue.

VEREDICT: Bluray is an endangered species.

Quote:

The bottomline of this whole matter is that 720p encoded video is enough for most people and the advantage of getting the movie for free and playing it unlimited times is the winner.

Unless you want to take it over to or loan it to a friend in the way you can right now woith physical media. Or play it on your big screen in the living room from you computer without a router and a hassel.

Verdict : Physical media will be around until they can solve these issues.

Quote:

getting the movie for free

You mean illegally.
  • Reply 182 of 668
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Jimmac, are all your friends Luddites?

Your big point on this topic is that you can't take a download to a friend's house.

That point is misguided on several fronts.

If your friend has a big screen setup in his basement and has invited you to watch at his place, he probably has an iTunes account or a Cable VOD package. Why do you need to bring a disc? How many people still stop by the rental outlet to choose a movie for group movie night?

People who buy a disc for $9.99 at Costco are usually collecting for themselves.

Even so, hundreds of thousands of people burn downloads to DVD and carry them all over the place.

It is true that much of this market is technically illegal, but if the studios want to embrace DRM-infested discs over consumer wants, they are free to go the way their friends in the music business did.
  • Reply 183 of 668
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Or play it on your big screen in the living room from you computer without a router and a hassel.

Geez...you mean like a cable box that millions of folks have sitting next to their big screen TV?

IP video over DOCSIS 3.0 is the endgame for What I Want When I Want (WIWWIW - an acronym only cablecos could love) VOD. The estimate is about 2.8 Gbps per fiber node. There are a couple approaches on the table for cable companies to implement this over DOCSIS 3.0: DOCSIS IPTV Bypass Architecture (DIBA) and Integrated-Cable Modem Termination System (I-CMTS) dedicated for IPTV.

Comcast expects to be DOCSIS 3.0 in all its systems by mid 2010.

Heh, you got me reading the network trade sites again.
  • Reply 184 of 668
    batbat Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

The bottomline of this whole matter is that 720p encoded video is enough for most people and the advantage of getting the movie for free and playing it unlimited times is the winner. Paying bluray expensive fees and limited time rentals is not worth the slight (yes, slight) improvement in quality (and we are not even touching the $400 price of admittance for a bluray player.

VOD/torrent freeloading is here to stay.

Bluray may fade into oblivion pretty soon, especially as the internet gets faster and distributed computing is exploding so that encoding/decoding will no longer become an issue.

VEREDICT: Bluray is an endangered species.

I agree, for this reason: I was at a Walmart Super Center over the weekend. They had 1 Blu-ray player for sale, at $300. Their Blu-ray disc collection consisted of 60 overpriced - $20 to $40 - mostly outdated titles. If Walmart, the largest retailer in the country, shows this little support for Blu-ray, it means nobody's buying and the format is doomed. And when I say "nobody" I mean the average everyday members of the public. Me. I'm interested in higher quality, but not at prices that are ridiclulously higher than a standard DVD. The players are priced TEN TIMES the price of a cheap DVD player and the discs are THREE TIMES the price of a standard DVD. For now, and maybe forever, DVD is good enough.
  • Reply 185 of 668
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Jimmac, are all your friends Luddites?

Your big point on this topic is that you can't take a download to a friend's house.

That point is misguided on several fronts.

If your friend has a big screen setup in his basement and has invited you to watch at his place, he probably has an iTunes account or a Cable VOD package. Why do you need to bring a disc? How many people still stop by the rental outlet to choose a movie for group movie night?

People who buy a disc for $9.99 at Costco are usually collecting for themselves.

Even so, hundreds of thousands of people burn downloads to DVD and carry them all over the place.

It is true that much of this market is technically illegal, but if the studios want to embrace DRM-infested discs over consumer wants, they are free to go the way their friends in the music business did.

Quote:

This was just insulting. He's a father of 3, has his own house, Works as an instructor at a local community college ( no it's not where I work ), and his TV is in the living room.

He has cable with on demand but the selection you get from ComCast is small and usually doesn't even have all the newest releases. And who says it's even a new release?

And know he doesn't have iTunes. I do but he's never been an Apple fan. He's a PC fan and he and I have argued about it for years. But I hate to break it to you but there's a lot of people out there just like him. And we were talking about something that gets widely adopted.

He does have a killer computer set up that he and his son ( who's graduating college this year with a degree in chemical engineering ) built that's really fast ( 3 times as fast as mine ) and only cost him $500.00 for the tower.

As for the rest I can't see that other than slamming my friend this post has any point relevent to this thread. A winner ( as usual ) Frank.
  • Reply 186 of 668
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Geez...you mean like a cable box that millions of folks have sitting next to their big screen TV?

IP video over DOCSIS 3.0 is the endgame for What I Want When I Want (WIWWIW - an acronym only cablecos could love) VOD. The estimate is about 2.8 Gbps per fiber node. There are a couple approaches on the table for cable companies to implement this over DOCSIS 3.0: DOCSIS IPTV Bypass Architecture (DIBA) and Integrated-Cable Modem Termination System (I-CMTS) dedicated for IPTV.

Heh, you got me reading the network trade sites again.

Quote:

Selection is small as addressed in Franks really mature post.

[QUOTE][IP video over DOCSIS 3.0 is the endgame for What I Want When I Want (WIWWIW - an acronym only cablecos could love) VOD. The estimate is about 2.8 Gbps per fiber node. There are a couple approaches on the table for cable companies to implement this over DOCSIS 3.0: DOCSIS IPTV Bypass Architecture (DIBA) and Integrated-Cable Modem Termination System (I-CMTS) dedicated for IPTV.

/QUOTE]

Talk to me again when everyone has this and it gets you everything you could get from even a video store.

And Vinea we've already been over the current numbers for sales vs renting.
  • Reply 187 of 668
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bat View Post

I agree, for this reason: I was at a Walmart Super Center over the weekend. They had 1 Blu-ray player for sale, at $300. Their Blu-ray disc collection consisted of 60 overpriced - $20 to $40 - mostly outdated titles. If Walmart, the largest retailer in the country, shows this little support for Blu-ray, it means nobody's buying and the format is doomed. And when I say "nobody" I mean the average everyday members of the public. Me. I'm interested in higher quality, but not at prices that are ridiclulously higher than a standard DVD. The players are priced TEN TIMES the price of a cheap DVD player and the discs are THREE TIMES the price of a standard DVD. For now, and maybe forever, DVD is good enough.

Quote:

If Walmart, the largest retailer in the country, shows this little support for Blu-ray

They aren't the best in selection for any format. Try Best Buy. Hell I think even my local rental stores have more than them.

Oh! You can get a really good BD player now for $ 249.00 and come this summer it'll be $200.00! That's a little over twice the price of a cheap DVD player figuring on say oh $69.99! Not 10 times!

You know you guys keep trying and keep failing to come up with a good counter argument. You should just acceot that downloading isn't something that's fully baked just yet and let it go at that.
  • Reply 188 of 668
    Quote:

They aren't the best in selection for any format. Try Best Buy. Hell I think even my local rental stores have more than them.

Oh! You can get a really good BD player now for $ 249.00 and come this summer it'll be $200.00! That's a little over twice the price of a cheap DVD player figuring on say oh $69.99! Not 10 times!

You know you guys keep trying and keep failing to come up with a good counter argument. You should just acceot that downloading isn't something that's fully baked just yet and let it go at that.

No to BB. $249 is still $150 too much.Counter argument stands. Blu-ray will not succeed at these prices.
  • Reply 189 of 668
    Quote:

No to BB. $249 is still $150 too much.Counter argument stands. Blu-ray will not succeed at these prices.

Considering all the extra features you get and the fact that it's HD I don't think so. Just because you don't like BB isn't a good argument. Lots of people shop there. Counter argument fails.
  • Reply 190 of 668
    Quote:

Considering all the extra features you get and the fact that it's HD I don't think so. Just because you don't like BB isn't a good argument. Lots of people shop there. Counter argument fails.

Look, I have nothing against BB, I shop there for DVDs, but the fact is I don't care about the extra features with BD. A cheap upconverter will do near HD, which may be good enough. All I'm saying is that at these prices, the general public isn't buying. And if the general public doesn't buy, then BD either withers and dies or becomes an expensive niche product.
  • Reply 191 of 668
    Quote:

Look, I have nothing against BB, I shop there for DVDs, but the fact is I don't care about the extra features with BD. A cheap upconverter will do near HD, which may be good enough. All I'm saying is that at these prices, the general public isn't buying. And if the general public doesn't buy, then BD either withers and dies or becomes an expensive niche product.

Well the Jury's stil out on what you're saying. But the current numbers do look promising. Sorry.

Also we've covered the upconversion thing and how TVs are always improving ( even HD ) and upconversoin will look less and less close as time goes on.

Quote:

the general public isn't buying

Show me some figures that say this. The numbers I've been reading don't.

Gotta go to work now.
  • Reply 192 of 668
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    The future of video distribution is streaming/downloads. Blu-Ray will be the last physical format, and even in its final days it will have sales hampered by DVDs.

The current trend of having a "digital copy" included with most new releases is indicative of consumer interest in watching a movie on a portable media player or a laptop (without the disc) but lacking the expertise (or feeling it is criminal) to do the ripping.

And many Home Theater enthusiasts even simply rip their DVDs to a machine plugged into their TV and just file the DVD away for safekeeping, playing only the ripped version.

So for 2009:

- I expect more online video download services to appear and for the current ones (iTunes, Netflix, Xbox360, PSN, etc) to improve their offerings and pricing.

- I expect Comcast, Time Warner, and other ISPs that previously offered "unlimited Internet" to sweat bullets as more customers hit their hidden bandwidth caps.

- I expect Blu-Ray sales to peak at 35% of all movie disc sales. Those sales will be split among technically-inclined videophiles and Joe Sixpacks who got upsold. DVDs will remain strong in 2009 as upconverted DVD playback is "good enough" for the savings (vs. Blu-Ray) especially given the current economic climate and the proliferation of HDTVs purchased in recent months due to the upcoming Digital TV conversion.
  • Reply 193 of 668
    Quote:

This was just insulting. He's a father of 3, has his own house, Works as an instructor at a local community college ( no it's not where I work ), and his TV is in the living room.

He has cable with on demand but the selection you get from ComCast is small and usually doesn't even have all the newest releases. And who says it's even a new release?

And know he doesn't have iTunes. I do but he's never been an Apple fan. He's a PC fan and he and I have argued about it for years. But I hate to break it to you but there's a lot of people out there just like him. And we were talking about something that gets widely adopted.

He does have a killer computer set up that he and his son ( who's graduating college this year with a degree in chemical engineering ) built that's really fast ( 3 times as fast as mine ) and only cost him $500.00 for the tower.

As for the rest I can't see that other than slamming my friend this post has any point relevent to this thread. A winner ( as usual ) Frank.

Mkay. Does he have a blu-ray player or a PS3?
  • Reply 194 of 668
    Quote:

The counter argument is that $99 is the sweet spot for mass market acceptance. Blu-ray hasn't reached that pricing point yet. Possibly not even this XMas.
  • Reply 195 of 668
    Quote:

T

Three times the price. Double the $99 tipping point price.

Quote:

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.
  • Reply 196 of 668
    Quote:

Selection is small as addressed in Franks really mature post.

Quote:

[IP video over DOCSIS 3.0 is the endgame for What I Want When I Want (WIWWIW - an acronym only cablecos could love) VOD. The estimate is about 2.8 Gbps per fiber node. There are a couple approaches on the table for cable companies to implement this over DOCSIS 3.0: DOCSIS IPTV Bypass Architecture (DIBA) and Integrated-Cable Modem Termination System (I-CMTS) dedicated for IPTV.

Talk to me again when everyone has this and it gets you everything you could get from even a video store.

Is mid-2010 something difficult to understand? I could get it now, but I have FiOS. Which why I can get it now because Comcast is competing against Verizon.

Quote:

And Vinea we've already been over the current numbers for sales vs renting.

Yes, and the fact that you cannot take just DVD rental revenue into account. Viewers on cable will count as well.
  • Reply 197 of 668
    Quote:

Three times the price. Double the $99 tipping point price.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

3 Times the price is $300.00! They are $249.00 now and will be $200.00 by summer ( just saw it on Cnet ).
  • Reply 198 of 668
    Quote:

The counter argument is that $99 is the sweet spot for mass market acceptance. Blu-ray hasn't reached that pricing point yet. Possibly not even this XMas.

Well if you're using an HD player as a model $199.00 was a sweet spot for HDDVD.
  • Reply 199 of 668
    Quote:

Is mid-2010 something difficult to understand? I could get it now, but I have FiOS. Which why I can get it now because Comcast is competing against Verizon.

Yes, and the fact that you cannot take just DVD rental revenue into account. Viewers on cable will count as well.

Really honestly have you seen the selection on ComCast?

it's better than it was but not what I'd call comparable to the local video store by any means.

Look we can keep this up forever and I don't have the time to devote to this.

I keep to my initial argument and you guys have still have not supplied a good solution to the problem. I know there are lots of people out there that still like to own what they pay for and that means use it like they want. You guys think there isn't. Well one of us is right and it will take at least a couple of years to find out which. I'll try to remember 2 years from now if any of you are still here to bring this up again. Or if there's a major development in the situation. But for right now there's more important things to talk abouit over at the PO part of the forum.

Until then I'll leave you with this :

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-19167_1-101...ag=mncol;title

Quote:

Memorex unveils a $200 Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player

Quote:

Philips announces three new Blu-ray players

Quote:

LG BD390 Blu-ray player includes built-in Wi-Fi

And

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michae..._b_154840.html

Quote:

DVDs -- How And Why You Should Switch To BluRay

From that last article :

Quote:

. HI-DEF DOWNLOADING IS CLEARLY GONNA STOMP ON DVDS -- I do agree that streaming and downloading movies will be the dominant way people rent movies quite soon. But for many technological and legal reasons, hi-def downloading is years away from being the dominant way to buy movies, even if we do overcome efforts by telecos/cable/internet companies to charge people onerous fees for using a lot of bandwidth. And certainly, worldwide, hi-def downloading is absurd to consider as dominating in giant markets like China, India, Indonesia and Africa for decades to come. Even the US won't be capable of getting it available to a majority of users for a good decade. And so what if it does become dominant and you decide come 2015 that you never want to buy a DVD again? The library you have will still be useful. And if you only rent, the modest $150 you spent to get a BluRay player so you could rent BluRay from Netflix (for an extra $1) or borrow from your local library will surely have been worth it by then.

• Reply 200 of 668
    Quote:

3 Times the price is $300.00! They are $249.00 now and will be $200.00 by summer ( just saw it on Cnet ).

3 times the price of a $69.99 upconverting DVD player is $210. Do you even read what you write yourself?

Upconverting DVD players became the norm when they went past that $99 price. $200 is still twice the cost of that tipping point which may, or may not, be reached by this Christmas.

$199 was not a tipping point for HD-DVD given that if it HAD gotten mass market acceptance Blu-Ray would be dead now and not the other way around.

And yes, I've seen the selection on Comcast. Again, studios are moving to day and date release for cable and DVD. The library will grow...and it sure as heck is more than the local video store for me given the local blockbuster just closed their doors.

As far as whether anyone will be here in 2 years or remember...this thread is older than 2 years isn't it?