Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2.1

Comments

• Reply 41 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

If you have a jailbroken phone you are automatically a loser anyways....

Yeah, but I'm a loser with video recording and copy & paste.
  • Reply 42 of 124
    why are we not outraged that we don't yet have application notifications??
  • Reply 43 of 124
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,903member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Yeah, but I'm a loser with video recording and copy & paste.

Both of which I could care less about.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dannhasnojetpack View Post

why are we not outraged that we don't yet have application notifications??

Because were all too busy bitching about the lack of copy and paste.
  • Reply 44 of 124
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Does it fix AT&T?
  • Reply 45 of 124
    Quote:

Both of which I could care less about.....

Because were all too busy bitching about the lack of copy and paste.

no deal. we were never promised copy and paste... copy and paste was never demoed!!!

It scares me that I don't read about this more often...
  • Reply 46 of 124
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dannhasnojetpack View Post

no deal. we were never promised copy and paste... copy and paste was never demoed!!!

It scares me that I don't read about this more often...

From what I can gather there is somewhat of an expectation that the next version of the iPhone will be so much more powerful as to be able to simply offer multi-tasking apps straight out instead of that workaround with the notification server. Also, this is just a point release, not a release when one could expect new features.

It is curious though, since everyone likes to pile on Apple these days about mostly illusory problems and failures, that this "real" failure is ignored for the most part. People seem willing to write entire angry articles about the lack of copy and paste, which was not even promised and of only limited usefulness, but for some reason Apple missing a deadline on a major promise by months and months and months is no big deal?
  • Reply 47 of 124
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

From what I can gather there is somewhat of an expectation that the next version of the iPhone will be so much more powerful as to be able to simply offer multi-tasking apps straight out instead of that workaround with the notification server. Also, this is just a point release, not a release when one could expect new features.

It is curious though, since everyone likes to pile on Apple these days about mostly illusory problems and failures, that this "real" failure is ignored for the most part. People seem willing to write entire angry articles about the lack of copy and paste, which was not even promised and of only limited usefulness, but for some reason Apple missing a deadline on a major promise by months and months and months is no big deal?

Copy and Paste is a big deal when every other phone on the market can do it. Wouldn't you be a little bent if Apple had released the Mac without Copy and Paste and 2 year later still didn't have it when every other OS had it? Seems like a trivial thing to do and to leave it off is perplexing. It is a legitimate gripe.
  • Reply 48 of 124
    Need the basics back*

- No image loading option in mail

- Text only option in mail

- Mark read w/o reading in mail

- Msg display sort order options in mail

(MailTags changes the mod date which moves messages to the top)

- Tethering!!! When oh when? Apple? AT&T? Do I have to jailbreak?

- Real Bluetooth

I'd give up all the apps (which are cool but I almost never use) for this

*("back" because I gave them up when I traded my Blackberry in without even considering these basics would be missing. Still getting spam because of an email I opened before I knew about the image loading issue. Yes - I do know that's the spam source.)
  • Reply 49 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Copy and Paste is a big deal when every other phone on the market can do it. Wouldn't you be a little bent if Apple had released the Mac without Copy and Paste and 2 year later still didn't have it when every other OS had it? Seems like a trivial thing to do and to leave it off is perplexing. It is a legitimate gripe.

The real skinny is, it corrupts the software. This has been known since dev 1. It existed in the 1st beta and has never been repaired. Not sure why they can't figure it out, but that's the truth, it's broke and they can't fix it.
  • Reply 50 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheDrivingMan View Post

Need the basics back

- No image loading option in mail

- Text only option in mail

- Mark read w/o reading in mail

- Msg display sort order options in mail

(MailTags changes the mod date which moves messages to the top)

- Tethering!!! When oh when? Apple? AT&T? Do I have to jailbreak?

- Real Bluetooth

I'd give up all the apps (which are cool but I almost never use) for these...

Now you?re just being unrealistic. To expect the iPhone to be used for actual business purposes rather than the gaming toy it?s become.

Come on, you have to realize that Apple put Emogi Icons ahead of all of these features that actually could make the iPhone worth upgrading to the next rev.

I think you need to lower your expectations as I have and realize that I am a middle aged man with a toy in my pocket (no pun intended).

Thankfully, competition is always out there and I can move on to a real Smart Phone that caters to the business world and not the FaceBook generation.

Yes, I want a real camera on my phone. Who carries a camera with them at all times?

Yes, I want push email that actually works.

Yes, I want Speed Dial and Voice Dial like my 7 year old Motorola V551.

Yes, I want to be able to actually edit a document on my Phone and not just view it.

Yes, I want Flash and every other popular (non apple) video to work on my phone. Ever go to CNN or ESPN that has all Flash for their video sources.

Yes, I want multi tasking.

The phone world isn?t used to Apples once a year slam upgrade policy and the 3g was no big game changer.

Was I promised these things. No. But it?s been a long, long time since anything has come out for the iPhone that is useful.

Yes there are tons of Apps but I?m not a gamer and 99.9% of the apps in the store don?t reflect what anyone in the business world actually needs to enhance their work day.
  • Reply 51 of 124
    :grum ble:

I want MMS! Everyone else has had it since the 1990's! I used to have it on my cheap $50 phone. I WANT MMS!!!!
  • Reply 52 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Oh really? Please give me a link to where I can buy a Pre!

Just because Apple isn't pre-announcing everything doesn't mean they won't have any/all of that before the Pre does. Let's compare things that are actually available to buy, shall we?

Wait a sec! So you're saying Apple will release these updates?

First off, in my last post, I mentioned that Apple hasn't been able to code the iPhone with CUT and PASTE since it's carnation as it WAS on the beta.

Second, Tom Tom was reportedly (Google it) working on a iPhone App yet it never came out - this was almost a year ago.

So I hardly doubt that suddenly we'll see these.

Given that a) The price of the PRE is very low and full featured and b) everything from Android to Palm will have an app store in a few years (many of whom were iPhone App developers told NO or fed up with the rules are going there (see note of APPLE iPhone Creative LEAD goes to Palm to develop phone) and I see, once again, Apple and it's proprietary(ala no tethering for example) and closed ended system running into a wall if they are not careful. Some say the iPhone isn't even hip anymore. Also no longer #1 in tech devices.
  • Reply 53 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I think with the way the iPhone works with its touch interface and the lack of multi-tasking, its really not necessary. What do you do all day that would require copy and paste? Seems to me it would be more of a convenience feature only a select few would use in the end. Sure, lots of people want it, but you don't know in the end who will actually use the feature on a daily basis. Apple isn't about adding features just because the rest of its competition has them implemented. They're about innovating, or perhaps even re-inventing the wheel with new features that go beyond what its competition already has implemented. This is what makes Apple great. They're a leader, not a follower.
  • Reply 54 of 124
    Quote:

I think with the way the iPhone works with its touch interface and the lack of multi-tasking, its really not necessary. What do you do all day that would require copy and paste? Seems to me it would be more of a convenience feature only a select few would use in the end. Sure, lots of people want it, but you don't know in the end who will actually use the feature on a daily basis. Apple isn't about adding features just because the rest of its competition has them implemented. They're about innovating, or perhaps even re-inventing the wheel with new features that go beyond what its competition already has implemented. This is what makes Apple great. They're a leader, not a follower.

Tell me truthfully if you don?t need multi tasking on your computer.

While you?re at it tell me you don?t use copy and paste at least a few times a day at minimum.

Apple doesn?t need to give us what almost every other phone does because they need to do it first, that?s just about the most ignorant statement I?ve seen on this site (and that?s saying a lot).

That?s not what makes Apple Great. It just makes them stubborn (or stupid) for not giving the end users what they want.
  • Reply 55 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Tell me truthfully if you don’t need multi tasking on your computer.

While you’re at it tell me you don’t use copy and paste at least a few times a day at minimum.

Apple doesn’t need to give us what almost every other phone does because they need to do it first, that’s just about the most ignorant statement I’ve seen on this site (and that’s saying a lot).

That’s not what makes Apple Great. It just makes them stubborn (or stupid) for not giving the end users what they want.

Well first of all...the iPhone is not a computer. Its a mobile device (phone) with a completely different OS, different interface, different way of interacting, for different uses. HUGE difference. This basically makes your whole post look kind of dumb.....
  • Reply 56 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Now you?re just being unrealistic. To expect the iPhone to be used for actual business purposes rather than the gaming toy it?s become.

I was beginning to think I was the only one recognizing some basic flaws. I'm a big Apple fan. Have never owned a PC. For a 53 y/o engineer that's really unusual but these missing features are a big deal for me. If they could give us a release date for these (publicly acknowledged by Apple) issues I'd be willing to wait.

C'mon fellow Apple diehards - take off the blinders - is asking for an option for these basic features really too much to expect?

Apple/AT&T - At least say yes or no and when - then I could make an informed decision.
  • Reply 57 of 124
    Did the update, now experiencing drop calls!

LOVELY APPLE!

Can they ever get an update right?

Problem after problem after problem.

Prior to this update I had no drop calls.
  • Reply 58 of 124
    I am holding off on this, in the Apple Forums there are a few threads from desperate iPhone owners who have had great difficulty with this update requiring a "restore" and a few that have not managed to get their phones to work at all. Anyone here actually successfully done this?
  • Reply 59 of 124
    I often read in threads like this that there are people who won't buy an IPhone because it lacks, among other things, a "cut & paste" function.

I've used computers almost daily for thirty years, and worked for several years doing interface design, and have can't imagine what the problem is....with the users! Why is this particular function given such a high priority by some people? What would they "cut" and where do they intend to "paste" it? I'm very curious.

I really just don't get it. Thanks for taking the time to explain to me what I'm missing here.
  • Reply 60 of 124
    Quote:

I have an iPhone 3G that I have had for the past few weeks.

I have honestly come across several situations where copy/paste would have been quite helpful, such as 1) sending a longish text to the wrong person (side note: shouldn't I bar able to forward so someones most recent text to another contact), 2) In Mail, came up selling things on craigslist most recently. That's somewhere you end up with several responses where people may need the same basic additional info. I don't want to have to add these people as a contact to forward them a message I sent to someone else and will likely break the "thread" when I go back to gmail or my mac at home. Copy/paste would be helpful here. 3) emailing a friend a link as part of a longer ema that I started composing before needing the link or which is a reply. I should not need to type the that I will email the link in a different message. Copy/paste.

I, like some of you eve worked out in my mind what would be a simple finger command- hold margins of what you wa t to cut until yiu get a double magnifying glass effect. Pinch to cut. Reverse (I.e. Pinch out) to paste. I suppose I could go on.

Some of my desired features, in addition to spotlight varient and others mentioned above are

- landscape keyboard in mail, ok everywhere

- email more than one photo

- editing

- and really just some of the same things many have been wanting. If a need or want is expressed across the board- on here, macrumors, gizmodo, egadget and through downloads on various productivity apps that address some of these issues in the app store, I quantify that as more than a "geek outcry" or whatever.