File sharing finally comes to MobileMe

135

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 83
    I was thrilled when I first saw this, but since I had to wait for months I have had to find an alternative.



    www.yousendit.com will let you send up to 100 meg files without a membership, and if you do sign up for the 9.95 a month plan then you can send 2 gig files. plus they give you a link so people can send up to 2 gig files back to you.



    I have not done a direct speed comparison, but yousendit seems a LOT faster.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post


    But for $8.33 per month ($100/12) the iPhone/Mac push calendar/mail integration, plus web-hosting, iLife integration, plus imap email account is a pretty decent price. Web hosting alone generally costs more than that.



    The web hosting MM offers is almost useless. No PHP or MySQL? Almost every site these days uses these for blogging and dynamic content.



    I would go with MM in a second if it even offered a single MySQL database.
  • Reply 43 of 83
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotmarkb View Post


    Hahaha your IQ comment gets the best comment of the year award haha. Funny cause it's true



    hotmarkb, So, you've got ten posts under your belt here at AI... Let's take a look at your comments outside of this thread...



    1. Under the topic "False story of Jobs' heart attack started by teen"



    You wrote : "Charge him with Attempted Murder!"



    2. Under the topic "Apple readying software patch for quirky MacBook trackpads"



    You wrote: "Aplle are really starting to make some hardware mistakes... Its time to sell sell sell those shares I think!"



    3. Under the topic "Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2"



    You wrote : Does anyone else find that they don't have (SHOUTING) COPY AND PASTE!!



    AHHHHH




    4. Under the topic "Nokia leans on new N97 as best hope for an iPhone rival"



    You wrote: In case you are still trying to work the volume thing out, its the two buttons on the side of the device. Just like the iphone, which does not even come with a manual.



    5. Under the topic "Apple says 2009 Macworld Expo will be its last"



    You wrote: "I wonder if they will finally admit Steve is dead."



    6. Under the topic "Steve Jobs taking leave from Apple due to complex health issues"



    You wrote: "This has Enron written all over it"



    It's obvious you're trolling here... Have fun, if you continue, you will be banned in addition to being ignored.



    Goodbye.
  • Reply 44 of 83
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post


    I would go with MM in a second if it even offered a single MySQL database.



    Yeah, I hear you, but I think that is beyond the intended scope of MM..



    I don't think the MM hosting is intended for much beyond an average consumer website that is built in iWeb..



    The hosting alone is not enough to justify the cost of membership, but in addition to the other features, it's not a bad added benefit for someone who wants to easily build a personal photo/movie/blog type website..
  • Reply 45 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post


    hotmarkb, So, you've got ten posts under your belt here at AI... Let's take a look at your comments outside of this thread...



    1. Under the topic "False story of Jobs' heart attack started by teen"



    You wrote : "Charge him with Attempted Murder!"



    2. Under the topic "Apple readying software patch for quirky MacBook trackpads"



    You wrote: "Aplle are really starting to make some hardware mistakes... Its time to sell sell sell those shares I think!"



    3. Under the topic "Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2"



    You wrote : Does anyone else find that they don't have (SHOUTING) COPY AND PASTE!!



    AHHHHH




    4. Under the topic "Nokia leans on new N97 as best hope for an iPhone rival"



    You wrote: In case you are still trying to work the volume thing out, its the two buttons on the side of the device. Just like the iphone, which does not even come with a manual.



    5. Under the topic "Apple says 2009 Macworld Expo will be its last"



    You wrote: "I wonder if they will finally admit Steve is dead."



    6. Under the topic "Steve Jobs taking leave from Apple due to complex health issues"



    You wrote: "This has Enron written all over it"



    It's obvious you're trolling here... Have fun, if you continue, you will be banned in addition to being ignored.



    Goodbye.



    Cry some more...
  • Reply 46 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    Because it requires the people on the other side to install third-party software.



    Sorry, but you are wrong. To upload the files on Dropbox and enable people do download it, you only need to put the file in your Dropbox public folder, ctrl-click on it and select "copy public link", paste it to a mail message and send away. The people on the other side don't have to install anything at all. It beats iDisk and MobileMe hands down (I am a paying user of MobileMe).



    The people on the other side only need to install Dropbox if you want to share a folder on Dropbox. Or if the find the service useful for themselves. And it most definitely is, with a price you can't beat.
  • Reply 47 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post


    Yeah, I hear you, but I think that is beyond the intended scope of MM..



    I don't think the MM hosting is intended for much beyond an average consumer website that is built in iWeb..



    The hosting alone is not enough to justify the cost of membership, but in addition to the other features, it's not a bad added benefit for someone who wants to easily build a personal photo/movie/blog type website..



    I'm happy with their hosting but wish they would make some way to be able to update iweb (or even rapidweaver) blogs from the iphone or some other way besides the actual program. They have all these thigns working together (push email, calendars, contacts, gallery) why not make something to really make mobile blogging easier.



    I've been happy with mobile me mainly because of the push email/contacts/calendar. And this file sharing ability is just another bonus.
  • Reply 48 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,492member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post


    If file sharing is your only use for MobileMe, then $100 per year is probably not worth it..



    But for $8.33 per month ($100/12) the iPhone/Mac push calendar/mail integration, plus web-hosting, iLife integration, plus imap email account is a pretty decent price. Web hosting alone generally costs more than that.



    EDIT: Why is there such a large amount of newly registered users all with complaints about Apple products taking part in these discussions over the past few days? Coincidence or not?



    I got flamed last time I mentioned a similar 'coincidence'.
  • Reply 49 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,492member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotmarkb View Post


    why does MobileMe not display my photos in the order I upload them in. And why can't I rearrange them????



    99 dollars I will never get back.



    Strange. Mine do and I can.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,492member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jules771 View Post


    Cry some more...



    That was a well thought out post that added a great deal to the forum, thanks. I hope your 7th post is even better.
  • Reply 51 of 83
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by julesburt View Post


    I much prefer my @mac name (and would rather not change to @me) ....however on iPhone it doesn't push with the .mac account (in my experience) so already they are forcing the issue with that...



    Anyone else got push working with their @mac.com name on iPhone?



    Jules.



    yup. works fine for me.
  • Reply 52 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    That was a well thought out post that added a great deal to the forum, thanks. I hope your 7th post is even better.



    Yes, well, I can't say that I'm a profilic poster but we can't all be fanboys, now can we? Perhaps when I'm of a certain age and retired, as you are, I can strive to up my post count. Until then I can only gaze with envy at senior members such as yourself.
  • Reply 53 of 83
    As a said earlier in this thread, I am working an a file managing site, but just my luck Apple comes out with this. I went to go into dreamweaver to work on my project. and what do you know, it was not there. Looks like a case of Big Brother.
  • Reply 54 of 83
    This seems like more trouble than what I've ben doing for years to send links to files. I have the index page of my /Sites folder bookmarked. When I want to upload I file, I use Transmit, which is an order of magnitude faster than the Finder, then I go to the index bookmark, paste on the file name to double-check that I've got the link right, then copy/paste the contents of the browser address bar into an email.



    Funny thing though I just noticed. I thought the words mac & me were totally interchangeable across the .me transition, but http://homepage.mac.com/cvreeland/ still works, and http://homepage.me.com/cvreeland/ does not.



    It looks as though they're trying to kill the ability to just use the space like any standard web space -- that is to have a basic URL that you can then append a file name to & have the link work in a browser. Why go to the bother of making this more difficult?
  • Reply 55 of 83
    Can we get a forum moderator in here to shut these guys up? Seems like we have a flare-fest going on here.



    Also, I just tried downloading a 900mb file I posted to MM a few months back using the new feature. I'm getting 500KBps, which is about all the bandwidth this public wireless network has to offer. Not sure why you are getting slow downloads, cause I'm getting darned fast ones.



    My download did eventually slow down to about 200KBps... not sure if that's the network throttling me or what. Stay tuned.
  • Reply 56 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post


    Can we get a forum moderator in here to shut these guys up? Seems like we have a flare-fest going on here.



    Also, I just tried downloading a 900mb file I posted to MM a few months back using the new feature. I'm getting 500KBps, which is about all the bandwidth this public wireless network has to offer. Not sure why you are getting slow downloads, cause I'm getting darned fast ones.



    My download did eventually slow down to about 200KBps... not sure if that's the network throttling me or what. Stay tuned.



    What exactly, if anything, is your point? You just confirmed what I said, "about 200KBps" hmm, is that kinda like 187KBps? Good grief!



    They even admitted it, over the phone. Why don't you do this check with your network, download a software update from the support site, and then download a file of roughly the same size from iDisk or MM or whatever.



    Guaranteed that you'll be looking at least 1/3 of the bandwidth of any of the software downloads.



    Actually, I gotta give it to Apple, they are brilliant. The chumps that they are pushing this c**p on are actually helping them defend the lousy service because they don't know any better. I love it, the psych dept. at Apple must be top notch.
  • Reply 57 of 83
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,285member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post


    Can we get a forum moderator in here to shut these guys up? Seems like we have a flare-fest going on here.



    It hasn't gotten too hot yet. If it does, warnings will be given.
  • Reply 58 of 83
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jules771 View Post


    What exactly, if anything, is your point? You just confirmed what I said, "about 200KBps" hmm, is that kinda like 187KBps? Good grief!



    Did you not see the part where he stated 500KBps?
  • Reply 59 of 83
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jules771 View Post


    What exactly, if anything, is your point? You just confirmed what I said, "about 200KBps" hmm, is that kinda like 187KBps? Good grief!



    I have something around 280 kbps when I test the speed of my shared files on MM. Most of them are just 20 MB though. probably not big enough to test if they will keep that speed when downloading bigger files.
  • Reply 60 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Did you not see the part where he stated 500KBps?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post


    I have something around 280 kbps when I test the speed of my shared files on MM. Most of them are just 20 MB though. probably not big enough to test if they will keep that speed when downloading bigger files.



    Please, just try what I said and do a comparison between the software updates and any of the Apple paid services. I mean, seriously, you guys gotta be kidding! Any school kid knows that your bandwidth is alway going to top out until it settles on the real connection.



Sign In or Register to comment.