Report: Steve Jobs cuts back on instant messaging

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Maybe Steve is now exclusively on his new iChat replacement, iHologram.
  • Reply 22 of 103
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Leave him be.
  • Reply 23 of 103
    Steve historically moves from answering emails consistently/chatting or whatnot when he's engrossed in projects.
  • Reply 24 of 103
    Come on..

I used to chat several hours a day until I got a wife!

Dude - sometimes people's lifestyle changes, thus their routine.

If Steve is taking time off work - maybe his scheduled time around a computer and ichat chanegs too. Just because you still have the same working hours.

For all you know he could be on vacation in Asia and loging at different times.. or he just hates IM on the iPhone (personally I have Palringo, its nice. But I used to have a Pearl an Treos, is not that fun)
  • Reply 25 of 103
    I agree that it stinks reading all these reports revolving around speculation, but maybe it was just the delivery at fault. Too bad AI didnt have a seperate page for more redundant/speculative type articles. Dare I say like MR "page 2"? Or something to a similar effect. Maybe it was just a bad article to start the day off with. I wonder if it would've been better recieved shuffled in the mix of midday articles.
  • Reply 26 of 103
    This is irresponsible reporting. It's not fair to shareholders of the Jobs family.
  • Reply 27 of 103
    Cringely is such a hack.

I expect better from AppleInsider than regurgitating this kind of mindless crap. Shame on you.
  • Reply 28 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yash Keough View Post

Can we take the story down, or at least move it off somewhere please?

Woah Woah Woah, what is this a democracy? I hate to break it to ya, but AI is a privately owned website. Whats with all this "we" stuff? Kasper's got freedom of press here. I understand that some people might not like the content (myself included) but asking someone to relinquish their First Amendment Rights is pretty ballsy there guy.
  • Reply 29 of 103
    When you're really sick and taking a sick day, you should spend it recovering, not in front of a computer.

When you call off for 6-months, you spend a good initial time making sure people are up to speed on business matters and then let off to recover. Between his recovery and his birthday, I'm sure Steve is plenty busy.
  • Reply 30 of 103
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Let's stick to rumors on Apple and not an individual's personal health matters. This should not AI's type of reporting.
  • Reply 31 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Woah Woah Woah, what is this a democracy? I hate to break it to ya, but AI is a privately owned website. Whats with all this "we" stuff? Kasper's got freedom of press here. I understand that some people might not like the content (myself included) but asking someone to relinquish their First Amendment Rights is pretty ballsy there guy.

Oh please. I think the guy was just asking AI to take the article down.

I would also like to ask AI to remove the article and perhaps think twice about posting stuff based on Cringely's hallucinations in the future.
  • Reply 32 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachSpear View Post

I understand that point of view, but on the other hand I'd have to argue it freaks the hell out of Cringely which then annoys the hell out of many reporters. I'm with the majority of you, we have no idea what Mr. Jobs is going through or what he's up to on his computer. Some say that means organizations like AI shouldn't print it at all, but the way I see it, stories like this are trying to present both sides and provide a forum where that debate can be had out. Many other outlets, right or wrong, have taken a similar approach, but they don't have the informed community that we do. Thanks for all the thoughtful comments.

And just to be clear, I'm speaking for myself here, not necessarily on behalf of AI.

I understand what you are saying here, and I agree to a point, but if AppleInsider is going to reprint stuff like this, it would help to provide some background. For instance it's my impression that Mr. Cringley has been wrong more often than he is right, so the way to publish this story would be to provide some extra background on the veracity (or lack of it), vis a vis the source.

Instead, we have AppleInsider publishing Cringley's claim that he "checked it out", but nothing from them. This just reinforces Cringley, and is hardly just plain unbiased reporting. AppleInsider could also, (since they pose as journalists), do some actual background checking themselves on the base story. Presumably they also have connections like Mr. Cringley.

More and more, we see stories like this published on AppleInsider by the automated slave that are just verbatim regurgitations of other sources. Not only is there no actual fact checking going on, many of them don't even really make any sense. This is why so many cryptic but potentially interesting stories appear on some remote site and then get repeated around the world, completely unexamined. Such stories appear here for instance, and then are ramped up by a hundred or so inane comments made by people who don't understand the story, and may have no idea what they are talking about anyway. The story becomes whatever the consensus view of the inane commenters is.

This is just lazy, it isn't journalism, and has nothing to do with publishing "news," or informing anyone of anything. Because everyone want's to be *first* with the story, no one cares about, you know ... getting the actual story.

Edit: This criticism is kind of harsh in retrospect. I still think it's true, but AppleInsider is hardly alone in this respect. I think what I actually described here is the effect of blogs in general.
  • Reply 33 of 103
    So this comes from a guy who once predicted that pc's would be obsolete by the year 2000...give me a break! I don't think this guy knows anything.

I've been a pc enthusiast for almost 17 years now. When IM clients came around I was "hooked" on them, was always online and chatting with people. Nowadays I just leave it on busy and sometimes I don't even answer because I don't feel like it. Also I've actually been going out of the house more often since I started college.

This goes to say, that Steve probably has been, for example, "getting out" more often, or has been busy doing other things. When Summer comes I spend a lot less time home, I want to make it up for working hard for a long time. This is what he might just be doing! Enjoying his time off!

So leave the man alone
  • Reply 34 of 103
    The Blogsphere surrounding Steve Jobs hit an all-time slimy low today when speculation of his imminent demise resurfaced again, this time simply because ol' Steve hasn't been logging on to Instant Messenger for a while.

By this account, I myself, have been dead for about two years already, since that's when my decline of Instant Messenger use began.

Sure, it could be true. But seriously. Let's just stop and let it be already.
  • Reply 35 of 103
    I can confirm rumors. Steve has not logged onto his system in days. He is busy designing and building the new iMac and iPhone. As you all know, every product is designed, built, and manufactured by Steve and Steve alone. This is why his health is so critical.

The other employees are just a front. The do not have creative engineers or marketing people with new and innovative ideas. It is all Steve.
  • Reply 36 of 103
    Man, that's exactly the idea of 'taking time off'!

To not sit on your computer for hours on end. But do something else instead. Stay in bed, go to therapy sessions, spend time doing something completely different.

If anything it proves that Steve is taking is 'off time' seriously and is indeed doing something else.

Good!
  • Reply 37 of 103
    Reality check: Mr. Jobs is done as Apple's full-time CEO. Of course Apple will not announce it, nor will Mr. Jobs, but consider the reality of what has been announced. How many Fortune 20 (or wherever Apple ranks) CEO's have come back after a six month leave of absence to address health issues?

Even if he returns, it will simply be to align the succession, after which I would hope he would remain as chairman and consultant.
  • Reply 38 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Asking somebody to remove something they said or printed is not in violation of their First Amendment rights. Forcing them to would be.

I would like to add my name to have the article removed. Anybody else?
  • Reply 39 of 103
    Maybe he just has his iChat status setting on "Invisible"??
  • Reply 40 of 103
    Happy birthday Steve.

And FO Mr. Cringley!