Apple releases public beta of Safari 4 browser

Comments

• Reply 201 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

another issue:

how come even after i tell safari to open links in new tabs rather than a new window it STILL opens it in a new window?

annoying.

And how did you tell Safari to do that????
  • Reply 202 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

Pretty much everything you said there is grumbling about how god-awful Windows looks in general. If you like the stylings of Aqua that much, throw WindowBlinds on your PC and go to town. It is not Apple's responsibility to make a Windows application (even theirs) look like an application from a different OS (as proud as they might be of their own OS and its UI). The more native appearance on Windows is a plus, not a minus, because it doesn't stick out based on visual glitz in the window dressing (if you can refer to gray gradients as "glitz" on an OS that normally bludgeons you with neon titlebars), but instead sticks out based on its own merits as a web browser. Safari is a web browser, not a Get A Mac ad ? at least not until you realize how nice it is, and that's as far as it should go.

Windows UI in general is inferior than OS X's, at least aesthetic wise. And there is no HIG to follow whatsoever, pretty much every major software maker compose its own interface arbitrarily, the use of native UI ellements also vary. As I mentioned before, MS is its own worst offender. I don't see why Apple can't bring its own very functional visual cue to the game. ?? Antivirus Software sticks out, Office's ribbon sticks out, Acrobat sticks out, Nero' bloat suite sticks out, Zune software sticks out, EVERYTHING sticks out!!!

After all, dumbing down is a crime, so is "ugly down". Safari 4 for windows also shouldn't be a demo of how low Apple is willing to go.

And about the Stardock software, yeah, that's what I called Vanityware, throw out some shining object, slow the system down, really blingy ,really useful.

The title tabs works better on OS X than Windows, I like neither.
  • Reply 203 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Yes how did you do that?

Also, is anyone else wanting their desktop to be the Top Sites screen?
  • Reply 204 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zenatek View Post

Yes how did you do that?

• Reply 205 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Wow...Apple has really gone out of its way to fuck up all HI guidelines with Safari 4.

In you want to move a Safari window and you like tabs, good luck clicking part of the titlebar that isn't a "rip a tab out" grab-handle widget or a close widget.

Although the concept is interesting, in practice, this tab UI is horrendous.

Everything else about Safari 4 is excellent though...nice use of Cover Flow and Core Animation for the top sites preview wall. Great history and bookmark search. And full page zoom is finally enabled for the unwashed masses. Google search suggestions. Overall, this version of Safari is the biggest update since version 1.0...too bad about the unconventional tab UI.

In terminal you can change the tabs back to the bottom and you can do other things like restore the aqua progress bar:

http://swedishcampground.com/safari-...en-preferences
  • Reply 206 of 278
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

There will be an update imminently, I am sure. Those guys update frequently and are quick to respond

Love the new S4 and I prefer the tabs on top - people just don't like change, I think. A lot of complaining at minor issues.

Commenting on my own post! Oh, the narcissism!

But seriously - 1password has been updated and supports S4. That is, you must go into 1password prefs and tick Include Beta Versions.
  • Reply 207 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Agreed. Even more awful is that I have to hit the ribbed part to reorder the tabs?

What where they thinking?

They weren't.

Cant stand that I dont have room to move the window because I have 12 tabs,

Shame on you Apple
  • Reply 208 of 278
    Gotta love the arm-chair HIG Gurus.
  • Reply 209 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Uh, I seriously doubt you're having any of the problems you claim to be having. It's clearly obvious that you just like to complain. I have a window with 12 tabs open... and I can grab a title bar and move the window around without ANY problems. I can grab the "move" widget, just fine as well. You shouldn't be so damned rude and ignorant to think that your experience is the same EVERYONE else is having.

Having said all of that... I do prefer the old method for tabs as well, but for aesthetic reasons, not because it is more or less functional and intuitive. Took me all of 30 seconds to get used to the new method.

If the window is maximized, you can't drag it around (shouldn't really need to, that's the point of maximized). If the window is less than maximized, you can drag it around no prob. I kinda wish the green button in the osx traffic lights did what the Windows maximize button does... I don't like manually resizing windows in mac to make them full screen...
  • Reply 210 of 278
    Is there a way to have the entire URL bar highlight when clicking on it? It takes three or four fast clicks to get that to work on Safari. FF is instant.
  • Reply 211 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theBigD23 View Post

Is there a way to have the entire URL bar highlight when clicking on it? It takes three or four fast clicks to get that to work on Safari. FF is instant.

That's an AppKit Design decision that goes beyond URL wishlists.

I suppose they could subclass NSTextField with NSURITextField and have that as alternative behavior, but the point is to be able to have finer control over the textfield you are editing.

Look at it from the opposite view: I want to change a subpath inside that URL which OS X defaults to by being able to double click a string between subpaths.

The following next click highlights the entire field.

In Linux it inserts a cursor at the point of click entry. Then I double click and it highlights the entire textfield.

I have to click, then click drag release to get the same affect I see with a single click in OS X.

That subclass would override the standard NSTextfield select behavior with a boolean configuration option in preferences.
  • Reply 212 of 278
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

My point is simply that its not Safari that 'breaks' 1Password. If someone is using input manager to obtain functionality (not supported by Apple) instead of Plugin APIs, then its the calling app that 'broke', not Safari that 'broke it'.

You're arguing semantics. Safari changed. It provided the action. By definition, it did the breaking, for those of us who believe in the transitive. You obviously prefer the intransitive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theBigD23 View Post

Haven't gotten around to installing it yet, but if it's like older versions, click on the border of the URL box, not in it. Takes a bit of precision, but you soon get the hang of it. That gives you options with a single or double click that Firefox doesn't. You can select the whole thing at once (single click on box border) or you can position the cursor within the URL (single click in URL) or you can drag-select an entire section of the URL for deletion or editing (double click, hold and drag). Firefox would require one click, two clicks or four clicks for the same actions.
  • Reply 213 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Londor View Post

That works but outbound links open in a new window. Why does it do that? I'll go to a certain page and click on the "forum" link and it opens a completely new window but in other pages it doesn't, wtf?
  • Reply 214 of 278
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

They weren't.

Cant stand that I dont have room to move the window because I have 12 tabs,

Shame on you Apple

12 open tabs? Whaaa. At any rate...

What are you talking about? Click and hold on any tab to move the window. \
  • Reply 215 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

You're arguing semantics. Safari changed. It provided the action. By definition, it did the breaking, for those of us who believe in the transitive. You obviously prefer the intransitive.

Haven't gotten around to installing it yet, but if it's like older versions, click on the border of the URL box, not in it. Takes a bit of precision, but you soon get the hang of it. That gives you options with a single or double click that Firefox doesn't. You can select the whole thing at once (single click on box border) or you can position the cursor within the URL (single click in URL) or you can drag-select an entire section of the URL for deletion or editing (double click, hold and drag). Firefox would require one click, two clicks or four clicks for the same actions.

He's not arguing semantics. He's arguing a broken hack that doesn't leverage the Plugin API sanitized by Webkit for such purposes.

It's up to the third party developer to keep up on the new Plugin API architecture that has been in trunk for nearly 12 months.
  • Reply 216 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

That works but outbound links open in a new window. Why does it do that? I'll go to a certain page and click on the "forum" link and it opens a completely new window but in other pages it doesn't, wtf?

How do you have Tabs configured?
  • Reply 217 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnaoncfixd View Post

Trying it out on 2.5 Ghz 17" Macbook Pro (made just before the unibodies).

So far:

\The track pad zooming could be a little more accurate. It is far easier to just use the command -/+

What is this trackpad zooming you speak of? You mean the Leopard default zooming? Or something else I'm missing here?

I keep finding myself pinching or pulling apart pages on my trackpad, so I'd love the same functionality from mobileSafari somehow finding its way on here. I think that dream is out at least until I pick up a new MBP.
  • Reply 218 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

How do you have Tabs configured?

As far as I can tell, the screenshot posted above is the only place where link behaviour can be set, and there's no option to make off-site links open in a tab not in a window. Not a showstopper, but I'll miss it.

My other two niggles so far; when you click on a link, then go back to the page you clicked from using Back, Firefox puts a dotted box round the link you came from - this feature isn't in Safari 4 (don't believe it was in Safari 3 either). This is a feature I relied heavily on (for forum browsing etc) without even noticing, and I find it almost impossible to use my favourite sites without it. Second (I might just not have found it yet) it doesn't seem possible to add the currently displayed URL directly to the Hot Sites screen; you have to wait for it to appear there because Safari decides you've been there enough times, then pin it?

I've told the spider in the corner about most of these
  • Reply 219 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

He's not arguing semantics. He's arguing a broken hack that doesn't leverage the Plugin API sanitized by Webkit for such purposes.

It's up to the third party developer to keep up on the new Plugin API architecture that has been in trunk for nearly 12 months.

Aren't Input Managers deprecated? Didn't Apple warn everyone that they plan to remove that functionality? The makers of IMs are at fault for any Safari 4 incompatibilities.
  • Reply 220 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by treschny View Post

I kinda wish the green button in the osx traffic lights did what the Windows maximize button does... I don't like manually resizing windows in mac to make them full screen...

Indeed - this is top of my niggle list for OS X...