Apple sued over exploding iPod touch, iMac display issues

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 127
    As an Apple tech who has fixed God-only-knows how many Macs, I can safely say that I have NEVER seen that screen issue before. The closest thing would be a couple aluminum iMacs with a few vertical pink lines in the display. That's it. The only problems I've ever seen with any white iMac display (iSight or otherwise) is a dead screen/inverter, and those are few and far between. Almost all iMac owners? What a friggin' liar. Sorry, but a problem that, in reality, likely affects a handful of people is NOT a major manufacturing defect. Apple can be stingy on REPs (like the damned 7.01 Seagate drives or the 8600GT MBP one that's WAY too narrow in requirements), but this isn't a case for one.

And the iPod Touch issue...millions sold and ONE bursts into flame. Now, if it was a problem with the iPod Touch, she may well be entitled to damages, but really, Apple was negligent? Shit happens, lady. One out of several million is not negligence on the contractor's part (is it Foxconn?). It's statistics.
  • Reply 122 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It was the kind of response that I was concerned about. A debate is fine, but we don't need people that get rabid when their "hot button" issue comes up and people hold views they disagree with.

Pretty much.

For my part, I offer my apologies.

I agree, I may have been over-the-top.

I think the other gentleman was "rabid," when he offered to hurt children.

JMHO.

Notice, we haven't heard back from him...?

Be well.

M.O.
  • Reply 123 of 127
    Though I do believe that Apple's hardware quality has fallen a bit over the years and I am also sensitive to the fact that this person may have been burned which is never good, but mental anguish?

C'mon!

"Antrobus also claims the impact of the unexpected event will give her son "mental distress" and other problems well past the initial damage done."

You just made yourself look like a no-good money-grubber. If this actually happened to me, I may be a little leery about pocketing my next iPod or Sansa in the pants but I sure wouldn't be mentally distressed over the situation. A mental upheaval that required lots of cash to fix it. It wasn't like it exploded like a bomb and caused a "life or death" situation that scarred you for life.

But I understand, it's hard to turn down a lawyer that is waving $$'s in your face.

For the good and bad Apple just has too much money.
  • Reply 124 of 127
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I am originally from Cincinnati and go back to visit every so often. First, this was reported repeatedly on the local Cincinnati news when it first happened - the national outlets just didn't pick it up. Second, it doesn't surprise me that this lady is seeking a relatively small sum of money for a lawsuit of this nature, nor that isn't she trying to elevate it to class action status - people in Cincinnati are just not like that. We don't like shyster lawyers and the "sue, sue, sue" mentality that is so prominent on the east and west coasts.

Cincinnati is a great city. Go visit some time.

You are welcome to come visit the Greater Washington DC area as well. We won't even insult you before offering the invitation.
  • Reply 125 of 127
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thefinaleofseem View Post

Shit happens, lady. One out of several million is not negligence on the contractor's part (is it Foxconn?). It's statistics.

Tell that to the kid with the burnt leg. If someone hits you with a car and causes you serious injury, but they've never hit anyone before, it makes sense that you don't ask them to pay your hospital bills because 99.999% of the time, they are an excellent driver.
  • Reply 126 of 127
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

Apple do not replace Batteries and Screens on iPod, that costs to much in effort, they simply replace the whole iPod.

Yes, they do replace the screen/battery but they do not do it as part of a single repair job.

They test it and if it is bad, they send out a refurbished unit. Then your unit will go in for repairs and they change the screen/battery (whatever) and throw it on the shelf as a refurb for the next iPod coming in.

And actually, if your iPod is out of warranty and you send it in for a battery, they DO replace the battery and send you back the same iPod.
  • Reply 127 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

Tell that to the kid with the burnt leg. If someone hits you with a car and causes you serious injury, but they've never hit anyone before, it makes sense that you don't ask them to pay your hospital bills because 99.999% of the time, they are an excellent driver.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said she's probably entitled to damages. I'm saying that one out of a few million is not a negligent product.