Microsoft's Lauren ad faked say bloggers

Comments

• Reply 121 of 187
    quixelquixel Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Let's see Apple give Lauren $1,000,000 and ask her to buy a laptop that's stable, secure, easy to use and has great support.

Can't buy that PC at any price

Duhhh I have posted on here over 200 times I hate PC and only love APPLE I am a zealot robot duhh duhh duhh =D idiot lol
  • Reply 122 of 187
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Crap. The Laptop I had before I bought a MacBook was a Dell. I owned it for three years and it's still doing active duty with my father. Not once did it:

1. Blue Screen (My MacBook kernel panicked a number of times before the mainboard was replaced due to that stupid thermal paste fabrication issue)

2. Ever get a virus. The free anti-virus - avast, and living behind a NAT (as most broadband users would do) took care of that.

Further, I had a minor quibble with the keyboard and a REAL Person with a REAL keyboard came to my REAL house and replaced it THE NEXT DAY. For REAL. That's great support. I didn't have to live without my Laptop for a minute. In Australia that luxury is rarely afforded, as far as I can tell. Even if the issue is known and accepted, you'll be without you machine for some period of time. Like when my case chipped near the latches (another common problem), and for which it will be going back again for the same problem.

I love my Mac, don't get me wrong, but don't delude yourself that world class support and stability is the sole domain of one side of the fence.

But that is not the experience of the vast majority of people.
  • Reply 123 of 187
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quixel View Post

Duhhh I have posted on here over 200 times I hate PC and only love APPLE I am a zealot robot duhh duhh duhh =D idiot lol

You have clearly not read my other 199 posts. Cheers.
  • Reply 124 of 187
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

But that is not the experience of the vast majority of people.

Have you asked them?
  • Reply 125 of 187
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Of course she's an actress. No company would ever grab a person off the street to put in a commercial. Don't be stupid.

So MS should be punished for such a misleading ad. And don't be stupid enough to exonerate MS when the company clearly depicts her as an innocent bystander looking for an under-$1000 17" laptop.
  • Reply 126 of 187
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    No one in the real world will care if the ad is a fake. The truth is this ad just says what the uninformed everyman already perceives about the Mac. At work whenever I hear someone say they are thinking about getting a new computer, I suggest they might consider a Mac. They invariably wrinkle their nose and say, "They're too expensive.
  • Reply 127 of 187
    bhosebhose Posts: 1member
    The Lauren commercial looks like bad background action setting. Let me explain.

Extras are sent through a shot to make it look lifelike and believable. When you change the shot you sent more extras through.

This looks like the assistant director sent the same extras through the shot not realising that the exit shot was meant to me much later.

Thats my take on it.

And it's also a crap commercial.
  • Reply 128 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascian View Post

Are you serious? Mac users are going to question Microsoft advertising with a straight face? That's so ridiculous that I don't have words to describe the utter ludicrousness of it all. How does that kool-aid taste MFers?

Tastes like Apple Juice, why do you ask?

Any more clichés you'd like explained?
  • Reply 129 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

No one in the real world will care if the ad is a fake. The truth is this ad just says what the uninformed everyman already perceives about the Mac. At work whenever I hear someone say they are thinking about getting a new computer, I suggest they might consider a Mac. They invariably wrinkle their nose and say, "They're too expensive.

I generally then point out, that PCs are too cheap.
  • Reply 130 of 187
    Quote:

Crap. The Laptop I had before I bought a MacBook was a Dell. I owned it for three years and it's still doing active duty with my father. Not once did it:

1. Blue Screen (My MacBook kernel panicked a number of times before the mainboard was replaced due to that stupid thermal paste fabrication issue)

2. Ever get a virus. The free anti-virus - avast, and living behind a NAT (as most broadband users would do) took care of that.

Further, I had a minor quibble with the keyboard and a REAL Person with a REAL keyboard came to my REAL house and replaced it THE NEXT DAY. For REAL. That's great support. I didn't have to live without my Laptop for a minute. In Australia that luxury is rarely afforded, as far as I can tell. Even if the issue is known and accepted, you'll be without you machine for some period of time. Like when my case chipped near the latches (another common problem), and for which it will be going back again for the same problem.

I love my Mac, don't get me wrong, but don't delude yourself that world class support and stability is the sole domain of one side of the fence.

Avast? Seriously? Do you also drive around with a 4 ton boulder tied to your bumper?
  • Reply 131 of 187
    The point for me is exactly the point made in the YouTube video. The products that MS produces, even their commercials, fall apart under any level of scrutiny. From Vista to the Office suite to projects like SongSmith, MS reveals their complete lack of technical proficiency, innovation and understanding of what software should do for the user.

As a part-time Windows user, it's almost as embarrassing to see ads like this as listening to an Apple aficionado run on and on about what Macs can do without knowledge of competing software that runs on Windows.

It doesn't matter if the ads are staged - that what ads are. The issue is that MS seems completely unable to create ANYTHING (even an ad) that meets its intended purpose with any sort of quality. "Mediocre" would be high praise for this ad and software like Office and SongSmith.

It is really just sad.

-Switchy
  • Reply 132 of 187
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

The ad has all kinds of flaws, but I think the reason we're all so riled up is because deep down we're afraid it just might be effective. The good news is that Macs are making enough impact that Microsoft is worried.

This is what I truly don't understand. Why do people care? I work in IT, and work on PC's all day. I own a mac at home. I don't care what people run at all. Both are great platforms and work incredibly well, just in different ways. If you want to buy a PC or a Mac, thats great, but I don't know why people feel so nervous that their purchasing decisions are different from others.
  • Reply 133 of 187
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Avast? Seriously? Do you also drive around with a 4 ton boulder tied to your bumper?

so i types in "avast performance" into ye google and the first link is this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/1990-6600_7-6768133-1.html

doesn't seem to suck so bad as you think it might do. Price is right, too.
  • Reply 134 of 187
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

This is what I truly don't understand. Why do people care?

I think it boils down to people liking to have their decisions validated and not liking anything that challenges them.

A more practical consideration is concern over platform survival of something you really love. I think we're pretty safe, but MS is a sleeping giant. They have vast resources at their disposal should they ever get their act together. Apple has clawed its way back up from... what? 2 1/2% market share. That wasn't all that long ago and there's always the fear that those days could come back.
  • Reply 135 of 187
    Quote:

so i types in "avast performance" into ye google and the first link is this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/1990-6600_7-6768133-1.html

doesn't seem to suck so bad as you think it might do. Price is right, too.

On a machine running a Celeron? Sucks very much bad.

They also left out Sophos to test against and NOD 32, (Faster than Norton Corporate Edition, which they also don't list)

NOD 32 runs below Windows instead of on top of Windows, making it fast and for the most part unnoticable. That is what I want in AntiVirus, something I don't even know is there.
  • Reply 136 of 187
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I can't believe people are getting this worked up over this commercial. Who cares if she's an actress or not, the point of the commercial (Mac pricing vs PC pricing) was made loud and clear.

The daft thing is that Microsoft is promoting two companies. They are Apple and HP. The computers from someone other than Apple may be cheaper.

However, Microsoft makes software (particularly the OS), not hardware. And if we look at the price of Windows vs. OS X (a good comparison as it's software to software), Windows is more expensive than Mac OS X. But Microsoft will just gloss over that fact.
  • Reply 137 of 187
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Something tells me you really don't have better things to do.......

I don't. Nor do you. Nor does anyone on the forums.
  • Reply 138 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UbiquitousGeek View Post

It's going to show 3G, even when you're connected to a WiFi network. Idiot.

Do you own an iPhone? Because all my iPhones shows the the wifi symbol you idiot, the the curved lines... NOT THE 3G. So when I am at home, the 3G disappears and the wifi symbol comes on... when I leave the wifi network, the 3G appears. Leads me to believe that you are the real big Mac idiot.
  • Reply 139 of 187
    3goldens3goldens Posts: 34member
    people thought that wasnt an actress how dumb could they be?
  • Reply 140 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post

people thought that wasnt an actress how dumb could they be?

the only people who thought she was real were the Macheads. everyone else knew it was an actress. Even my three year old niece lol