Microsoft's Lauren ad faked say bloggers

Comments

• Reply 81 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UbiquitousGeek View Post

I don't remember them claiming that they were doing all of this ON the 3G network. They could have been on FiOS with WiFi for all you know.

enjoy...

http://www.56.com/u88/v_Mzg5ODAyMDU.html

the Ad in all its glory... Ps top left hand corner it shows 3G!!! - MISLEADING!!!

OUCH!
  • Reply 82 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Apple was once in the red. No one stays in the black forever.

Don't forget... Apple owns 9% market share. Microsoft 89% = 10x more

Windows 7 is gonna bring them back over 90% - guaranteed.

Yes, they were once in the red, before Jobs' return to Apple. I'm sure there are a few companies out there who have never been in the red. I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart is one of them. I'm also certain that Microsoft, if it does not find a new business model, will soon find it's way into the red.

Don't forget, Apple's growth rate is about 3X the growth rate of the rest of the PC industry. Microsoft's share was slipping well before the release of Vista, which was touted in the same manner that 7 is being touted today. That said, don't get your hopes up. Apple is doing very well and they're not slowing down, but Microsoft is facing some serious problems turning a profit on some of their largest product lines, such as the Xbox. They can't keep losing money on some of their products just to keep up market share while at the same time keep losing market share in their core businesses, such as Office and Windows. The cash cow is dying and the other products are lame ducks, in terms of profit.

Keep dreaming. Microsoft is just as capable of failing as Apple was in 1997. Apple was also the leader in personal computers before IBM and Microsoft strolled in. To think that Microsoft can't be dethroned is a pipe dream.
  • Reply 83 of 187
    Quote:

enjoy...

http://www.56.com/u88/v_Mzg5ODAyMDU.html

the Ad in all its glory... Ps top left hand corner it shows 3G!!! - MISLEADING!!!

OUCH!

It's going to show 3G, even when you're connected to a WiFi network. Idiot.
  • Reply 84 of 187
    Quote:

I believe I saw the 3G lettering

Also why do it on WIFI? Why not use the 3G?

Its called iPhone 3G. Not iPhone Wifi

Isn't this misleading?!?!?!

Also, WIFI ain't that fast. Their is no excuse. It was superfast and that is what the Ad says... The iPhone 3G - SUPERFAST!!! FALSE!

Because WiFi is faster? I wouldn't use 3G if WiFi were available. That's why the iPhone HAS WiFi. It's not misleading. 3G isn't just a data network, idiot. It's a phone network. Even if you're connected to WiFi, you still need the 3G network for calls.

Stop being lame.
  • Reply 85 of 187
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Microsoft is merely pimping the worldwide economic crisis to it's own advantage with an ad about economizing. Why would they mention Windows? It's too expensive

I don't see how Windows can be too expensive when it's included with the cheap computer. As Microsoft is competing with retail computers with Ubuntu and assorted other Linux distributions now, I don't see why they didn't try to reinforce their brand.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

And the PC geeks praising Microsoft's ad fight against Apple... wouldn't be seen dead with Lauren's new laptop. Sorry this ad is just not effective on so many levels I cannot believe any self respecting agency would come up with it.

Have you personally looked at that HP model in person? It's not a luxury or pro product, I don't remember anyone suggesting that it was. It's also not the leprosy that people make it out to be either. I wouldn't have a problem with owning it, I just don't need it now, the computers I have still work fine. I thought about offering it to my mom. She thought it was too big for travel, though they only travel like twice a year, the other fifty weeks of the year, the computer sits on the same desk where space isn't a concern. Go figure.
  • Reply 86 of 187
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

For years Apple poked at Microsoft. Now the tables have turned and it seems Microsoft is fighting back.

Can you let me know when Microsoft actually fights back and not seems to?

I mean seriously what have we had from Microsoft and their ad men?

The Wow Starts Now

Well something started... but it wasn't wow

Mojave

Our operating system is better than you think it is. No really!

I'm a PC

Just like everybody else.

Laptop Hunters

PCs are cheap. There are lots of cheap PCs to choose from. Some are even cheaper.

Question: I wander if Microsoft could have made more money by not running the ads?

Quote:

With MS Win 7 coming out, its gonna get ugly for Mac.

With MS Vista coming out, its gonna get ugly for Mac

With MS XP coming out, its gonna get ugly for Mac.

With MS Plays for Sure coming out, its gonna get ugly for Mac

With MS Tablets coming out, its gonna get ugly for Mac

With MS Zune coming out, its gonna get ugly for Mac

With MS WinMob coming out, its gonna get ugly for Mac

With MS Spot Watches coming out, its gonna get ugly for Mac

See a pattern here? One day you might get lucky. Ask Rob Enderle

Quote:

Apple will need NEW Ads, as the present ones are tired and dated and need a refresh.

Apple already has new Mac ads. Which ones are you talking about? I see no shred of evidence that Apple needs to respond to Microsoft's weak campaigns.
  • Reply 87 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't see how Windows can be too expensive when it's included with the cheap computer. As Microsoft is competing with retail computers with Ubuntu and assorted other Linux distributions now, I don't see why they didn't try to reinforce their brand.

Have you personally looked at that HP model in person? It's not a luxury or pro product, I don't remember anyone suggesting that it was. It's also not the leprosy that people make it out to be either. I wouldn't have a problem with owning it, I just don't need it now, the computers I have still work fine. I thought about offering it to my mom. She thought it was too big for travel, though they only travel like twice a year, the other fifty weeks of the year, the computer sits on the same desk where space isn't a concern. Go figure.

The Windows license is rather expensive and with netbooks shedding much of the hardware costs of traditional notebooks, they're not going to be able to hide the cost of that license very well for much longer. Netbooks are going to seriously diminish Microsoft's profitability if they continue to grow in popularity. For now, it's "pay not attention to the man (license) behind the curtain (cost of the machine), but that's going to change. Microsoft had better be worried about it's future.
  • Reply 88 of 187
    Quote:

It's going to show 3G, even when you're connected to a WiFi network. Idiot.

I don't think you have your facts straight. I just checked now to be sure. If you're connected to WiFi, you're going to see the WiFi logo.
  • Reply 89 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

With MS Vista coming out, its gonna get ugly for Mac

With MS XP coming out, its gonna get ugly for Mac.

With MS Plays for Sure coming out, its gonna get ugly for Mac

With MS Tablets coming out, its gonna get ugly for Mac

With MS Zune coming out, its gonna get ugly for Mac

With MS WinMob coming out, its gonna get ugly for Mac

With MS Spot Watches coming out, its gonna get ugly for Mac

See a pattern here? One day you might get lucky. Ask Rob Enderle

ROFL! This goes back even further... It's the same thing all the way back to Windows 3. They always tout their next version of Windows as faster, better, more reliable, easier to use, more secure... How often is this true? Never. Each upgrade is a total pain in the ass that requires more hardware. When I upgrade to the newest version of OS X, my Mac actually gets faster. Go figure. Do you know how sick it makes me to sit through the bullshit they throw in your face when you're installing Windows? It's always the same thing. I don't see how Vista is really that much better than Windows 95 was. The only thing that I see as an improvement is the search feature, which they ripped off of Apple. Windows has hardly changed in 15 years.
  • Reply 90 of 187
    Quote:

you are an idiot. what if she bought it in Erie PA?

Umm, the nearest AppleStore she would have visited before going to Bestbuy in Erie, Pa is going to be, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, or Buffalo. All of which are at least 2 hours away.

• Reply 91 of 187
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

It's also not the leprosy that people make it out to be either. I wouldn't have a problem with owning it, I just don't need it now, the computers I have still work fine. I thought about offering it to my mom.

Not everyone. Not your mom. Just ....the PC geeks praising Microsoft's ad fight against Apple.
  • Reply 92 of 187
    Quote:

I don't think you have your facts straight. I just checked now to be sure. If you're connected to WiFi, you're going to see the WiFi logo.

They're separate. You still want to know what cellular network you're connected to when you're using WiFi. Do you even have an iPhone? I suppose I could be wrong, but I have a first gen iPhone. They should be separate, as they're separate radios.
  • Reply 93 of 187
    Quote:

They're separate. You still want to know what cellular network you're connected to when you're using WiFi. Do you even have an iPhone?

Yes I do. The images only show 3G. If it's also connected to WiFi, then it's going to show the WiFi logo. If it's as you say, then both logos would show at the same time. They do not. While your argument does sound sensible, that you might want to know which kind of cell network you're on even when you're using WiFi, I've not seen that actually happen on iPhone.
  • Reply 94 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Of course she's an actress. No company would ever grab a person off the street to put in a commercial. Don't be stupid.

Ummm. Apple did, remember Ellen Feiss and all the others? Those were not actors.
  • Reply 95 of 187
    Quote:

Yes I do. The images only show 3G. If it's also connected to WiFi, then it's going to show the WiFi logo. If it's as you say, then both logos would show at the same time. They do not. I've not found any case where both the 3G and WiFi badges show at the same time.

The whole point is that the ad wasn't meant to mislead about the iPhone's speed. It's very clear that they were just trying to squeeze a lot of content into a small time slot. This is common practice. At least they're not yelling and talking fast like the idiots doing the commercials for the car dealerships.
  • Reply 96 of 187
    Quote:

Yes I do. The images only show 3G. If it's also connected to WiFi, then it's going to show the WiFi logo. If it's as you say, then both logos would show at the same time. They do not. While your argument does sound sensible, that you might want to know which kind of cell network you're on even when you're using WiFi, I've not seen that actually happen on iPhone.

While sensible, it's probably just a victim of Apple's stringent minimalist design principles.
  • Reply 97 of 187
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Dude I own Apple products... Ps... The ones I see for Rogers and AT&T don't show that its shortened. I see them all the time...

Ps That is why the european union banned them... Good on them.

They did not ban them at all, they asked for one to be removed only.

We have iPhones ads in Europe on TV all the time and they have a very clear disclaimer on them stating that steps have been shortened. It is called being honest.
  • Reply 98 of 187
    Quote:

I don't remember them claiming that they were doing all of this ON the 3G network. They could have been on FiOS with WiFi for all you know.

It doesn't matter. Even if you use the fastest T3 line connected to the fastest WiFi router you can find, the iPhone does not browse the Web as fast as Apple shows. Some Web sites come up reasonably fast (still slower than they show in the ad) but many are much slower than what's depicted--in the commercial every Web site he goes to shows up instantly. I can't even get m.cnn.com to show up that fast on my MacBook sometimes. It was obviously cached and/or edited to get it to come up that fast.

The ARM processor and tiny RAM available to the iPhone have a lot more to do with it then the networking speed (which anybody who's done networking on the iPhone can tell you). On a Mac an application can be rendering the HTML and decoding images on one CPU while another CPU reads more data, handles other applications, etc. On the iPhone one (somewhat slow) CPU has to handle it all.
  • Reply 99 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skittlebrau79 View Post

It doesn't matter. Even if you use the fastest T3 line connected to the fastest WiFi router you can find, the iPhone does not browse the Web as fast as Apple shows. Some Web sites come up reasonably fast (still slower than they show in the ad) but many are much slower than what's depicted--in the commercial every Web site he goes to shows up instantly. I can't even get m.cnn.com to show up that fast on my MacBook sometimes. It was obviously cached and/or edited to get it to come up that fast.

The ARM processor and tiny RAM available to the iPhone have a lot more to do with it then the networking speed (which anybody who's done networking on the iPhone can tell you). On a Mac an application can be rendering the HTML and decoding images on one CPU while another CPU reads more data, handles other applications, etc. On the iPhone one (somewhat slow) CPU has to handle it all.

Again, the whole point was that it's more likely that Apple did this to show off as much of the iPhone as they could with the time that was allotted rather than to mislead consumers. Again, it's common practice. The disclaimer in the ad also makes the "misleading" argument moot.
  • Reply 100 of 187
    I hate Microsoft. They create terrible products such as the xbox 360 and have been stealing ideas from everyone from the get go. Every time they create a new OS it has more features that closely resemble that of the Mac OS. Ex: Widget bar, launch bar, etc, etc. It's just too bad majority of programs are not written for mac as well. Boycott Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!