Jobs to get another shot at demolishing "abomination" of a home

Comments

• Reply 41 of 144
    "this seems so ridiculously simple, especially for someone as ultra-wealthy as he is. so, what?s the big deal?"

EGO trumps wealth.
  • Reply 42 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

whats the big deal you ask?

its the principal of the thing, at this point Jobs is probably of the mind set that he WILL NOT LOSE!

but he already *is* losing -- by not being able to build the house he wants where he wants to build it.

steve knows about compromise. every time a song or an app is purchased from itunes, amazon gets a cut, because amazon patented "1-click." in business, compromises become necessary. years are rolling by -- years that he could be living in the house he wants -- because he won't just go ahead and move the existing house, himself.

that, my friend, is losing.
  • Reply 43 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

You have two options:

Jobs'

Jobs's

Never Job's

You're correct, except Jobs's is passé. Jobs' is the best option.
  • Reply 44 of 144
    Normally with "tear-downs," the lot itself is of value to the new owner for its size, views, etc.

Has anyone seen any information about why Jobs wishes to build on this particular lot?
  • Reply 45 of 144
    hdasmithhdasmith Posts: 145member
    LOL, historic! I live in a 14th century manor house. That's historic. I do my best to stay out of houses built after the victorian era... they're too new.
  • Reply 46 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome View Post

You're correct, except Jobs's is passé. Jobs' is the best option.

I choose to show possession in that manner above, but there are variances for the rule that are just as correct, depending on what country you are from. I believe it's more Britishish to use apostrophe 's' in all cases.

I've also heard that the usage varies depending on whether it's a person or proper noun having the possession. I'm not a fan of the dual rule so I'll stick with what the American public school system done taughted me.
  • Reply 47 of 144
    os11os11 Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LowEnder View Post

Normally with "tear-downs," the lot itself is of value to the new owner for its size, views, etc.

Has anyone seen any information about why Jobs wishes to build on this particular lot?

here is the house on google maps, enjoy...

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.41...02,-122.258434

(The house is at 460 Mountain Home Road, a six-acre property which is actually just down the Street from Oracle CEO Larry Ellison’s estate at 745 Mountain Home.)

and with property lines and current value.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/map/460-...02_rect/17_zm/
  • Reply 48 of 144
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I choose to show possession in that manner above, but there are variances for the rule that are just as correct, depending on what country you are from. I believe it's more Britishish to use apostrophe 's' in all cases. ...

I'm not sure, but speaking as an old British person, I always thought the 's' way was one of those crazy American language variations.

I've never seen or used anything but the simple s' ending myself and that's what I was taught in school (early 1970's). I had never heard of the 's' until this year in fact.
  • Reply 49 of 144
    takeotakeo Posts: 447member
    I think the bottom line is... if it was such an architectural treasure it probably would not be in the state it is in... it would have sold within those 10 years. I mean... it's not a Frank Lloyd Wright. It looks pretty mundane and... actually... depressing.
  • Reply 50 of 144
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

... I don't understand how you can have your property rights taken away because you own something "historical."...

Just to be pedantic ....

People use this term "property rights" all the time but there is really no such thing. You won't find many (or any) western democracy type countries that have anything in their constitutions about property rights and there is no god or state given right to own or hold land or even to "do what you will" with land.

While people may certainly *feel* that way about their property, the ownership of land is a contractual situation and is further elucidated by civil, as well as federal, provincial/state, and municipal law. A land owner has very few "rights" and a lot of responsibilities and obligations in actual fact. It's been that way in most countries since either the middle ages or the birth of that country.
  • Reply 51 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'm not sure, but speaking as an old British person, I always thought the 's' way was one of those crazy American language variations.

I've never seen or used anything but the simple s' ending myself and that's what I was taught in school (early 1970's). I had never heard of the 's' until this year in fact.

Maybe it was for the US and I got it flipped, but I'm sure I heard that variation on these forum with one of our many odd discussions about grammar. As an American I was always taught to never include the additional 's', but language does change over time so I don't care that much about the changes themselves or that what AI chooses to include on a tech-based website.
  • Reply 52 of 144
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Yeah that sux that he got the go ahead and then they yanked that right out of his control.
  • Reply 53 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Macs are the name of the PC from Apple » Apple was co-founded by and has a CEO named Steve Jobs » Steve Jobs is the one they are talking about in the article.

This site also talks about products that may or not compete with Apple products in the future, like the Zune and Kindle.

My point is why should Apple Insider readers be interested in Jobs' real estate holdings?
  • Reply 54 of 144
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teslacoil6603 View Post

My point is why should Apple Insider readers be interested in Jobs' real estate holdings?

I dunno. Should you be interested in whether or not Apple Insider readers are interested in Jobs' real estate holdings? Cause, you know, this thread. And the apparent interest, therein.
  • Reply 55 of 144
    1) If Jobs says it's a turd, he's probably right.

2) Town council members are almost always short-sighted, bloated idiots.

3) Imagine a house guided by Jobs' exquisite taste. The iHouse. Only a fool would say "no" to it, but see item #2, above.
  • Reply 56 of 144
    dawho9dawho9 Posts: 8member
    Did anyone read the "condition of house" statement provided by the general contractor:

Quote:

First Floor: Finishes remain in fair condition although the invading vegetation has increased. Wall finishes are exposed in many areas for asbestos removal (pipes and ducts) that was conducted in the 1990?s. Finishes would all be removed and replaced to upgrade the walls to current seismic standards.

So the house a small vegetation problem on the first floor. A little round up here a little round up there and I'm sure the house would be fine.

DJ

never mind all the other stuff listed in that document
  • Reply 57 of 144
    os11os11 Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teslacoil6603 View Post

don't be a killjoy... the life of jobs (and woz) has always been a colorful part of apple's folklore, and this house has held some interesting events... here is steve and bill gates on the stair steps of the jackling house around summer of 1991.

http://news.cnet.com/2300-1041_3-6186458-1.html

and it's where NeXT Computer Inc. was planned after steve got fired from apple.

http://www.friendsofthejacklinghouse.org/gallery3.html

there are a bunch more, but it's of great interest to deep apple fans, so it's well on topic for appleinsider...

lastly, some fairly current... inside decay photos are here...

http://scotthaefner.com/photos/search/jackling/

and http://snipurl.com/gpzuk (click on the bottom right image for more)
  • Reply 58 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djchubakka View Post

I agree. I've seen photos of the place. It's boring Spanish Revival. It's not like it's a Neutra or a Wright home. It's a big monstrosity. Also 6000 square feet is small compared to say Bill Gate's home. The a nice 2 bedroom house is 2000 square feet. So Jobs only wants one that's 3 times bigger... probably with lots of open space and high ceilings. Imagine the amazing house that would replace that fake spanish villa.

Probably have a glass staircase too.
  • Reply 59 of 144
    If the town really wants an historic house let Steve build it. This is someone who obsesses over good design; hard to imagine him not putting a lot of thought into the place he will live in. I'm just sorry Frank Lloyd Wright isn't alive to be the architect. The collision of genius and egos would be one for the ages.
  • Reply 60 of 144
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

At least we know Steve is still alive. I keep expecting to see him on the cover of a magazine looking like poor patrick Swazey. I thing AI should keep an eye out for any Steve Sightings.

No. The paparazzi are not to be encouraged. Privacy should never be a commodity.