Briefly: iPhone Software 3.0 taking better camera snapshots

Comments

• Reply 21 of 170
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

I think it's cool they can make the camera better through better programming, but I don't think it's cool that they package it up and wait 2 years to attempt to do so. Maybe another 2 years from now they'll allow flash and that'll be just another little incentive not to jump ship when the contract expires.

I wish HTC would take a lesson from Apple and update their camera on the touch pro. It's a decent camera for a phone, but it definitely has much more potential.

This IS just software. People can say it's an artificial limitation, but it could also just be a planned upgrade. There is such thing as a software development life cycle, and some SDLC's last longer than others. Why hold back the release of a good phone because one piece of the software isn't finished?

iPhone 3.0 allows communication through the docking port for third-party apps. If a flash isn't built in to the machine, you can bet there'll be some kind of add-on.
  • Reply 22 of 170
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    wtf sort of test candidate is a cat? A CAT!
  • Reply 23 of 170
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fezzasus View Post

The difference in photo quality looks suspiciously drastic for just a software upgrade. I wouldn't be surprised if most of what the comparison photos are showing is grease on the lense of the iphone running 2.2.1

Night pictures are very realistic. This is exactly how iPhone 3G 2.2.1 does it. Digitally processed, for sure. No one can guarantee, thought, this wasn't done with Photoshop on a desktop computer.
  • Reply 24 of 170
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Hmm, two years late and many dollars short, but hey, better late than never!
  • Reply 25 of 170
    Those are Russian words on the machine.
  • Reply 26 of 170
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Well the only gripe I have about it is how they release the updates. Wouldn't it be better to release things as they're finished, and not bundle them up as one big release? For all we know this camera enhancement has been finished for the past 4 months, know what I mean? It doesn't matter much now because all that waiting will result in what people have been asking for, but if MMS was done at Christmas, imagine how many Christmas photos could have been sent lol.

But that's all speculation. Each development team could have just been given a deadline and some teams worked feverishly everyday to meet the deadline while others spread their work out and lollygagged because they knew they would be done in time no problem.

Ok, I'm done ranting

It's about priorities. Most people can wait on improvement in features but no one would wait on an unstable apps. Since the 2.0 there were many problems ranging from crashing Safari to crashing 3rd party apps. There is also the needed iPhone SDK improvements. All of this need to be coordinated between many teams and many engineers. Remember the iPhone OS is less than 2 year old, built solely by Apple, and started from almost a scratch. Look how long it took Android to even be used on one device. We need more stable phone first then we need more features.
  • Reply 27 of 170
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    That would be the .ru in the article then.
  • Reply 28 of 170
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It was quite clear when taking pictures that there was something wrong with the software as the image quality changes dynamically based on the light intensity. If you put an object on a dark background vs a light background, the iphone automatically corrects the overall image in software and can make the same object appear completely different.

Some color noise removal would have been a nice addition but you can see in the shadows that problem is still there. A Photoshop filter improves this but they could have implemented it directly on the phone.

It's not that simple.

Even D-SLR manufacturers disagree on where to go with built-in noise removal.

If noise could be removed without damaging the image, all would do it as much as possible. But it can't. Every bit of extra noise removal softens the picture further.

When you start with a camera that has low resolution to begin with, it's too much.

Most manufacturers of D-SLRs give a choice of minimal reduction to high reduction.

I'd always rather have no noise reduction in the camera, and decide how much to add, and how to add it, later.
  • Reply 29 of 170
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:

Well the only gripe I have about it is how they release the updates. Wouldn't it be better to release things as they're finished, and not bundle them up as one big release? For all we know this camera enhancement has been finished for the past 4 months, know what I mean? It doesn't matter much now because all that waiting will result in what people have been asking for, but if MMS was done at Christmas, imagine how many Christmas photos could have been sent lol.

But that's all speculation. Each development team could have just been given a deadline and some teams worked feverishly everyday to meet the deadline while others spread their work out and lollygagged because they knew they would be done in time no problem.

Ok, I'm done ranting

Testing out new features doesn't work that way because of the amount of Q&A involved with every release before it gets sent to the public. It is far easier to have fewer releases with more features that are better tested than to constantly be testing new features incrementally. The problem arises when features are interdependent on each other and it's all too easy for something to break.
  • Reply 30 of 170
    gwarf420gwarf420 Posts: 37member
    I thought I heard that the reason video isn't that good has more to do with the access times on the internal storage than anything else.
  • Reply 31 of 170
    Quote:

Ok, I'm done ranting

But we don't know if it's done, do we?

And you know what? This isn't such a big deal. I don't want to get little updates every month or so that add trivial fixes and features that just add to the chance of screwing other apps or features.

It's better to do it all at once, so that all can be tested together, and third party developers don't have to go crazy trying their apps with every insignificant update.

This is why MS wraps up all new developments into one big update once a year or so. Their developers are much happier that way.

In fact, Apple consistently criticized for having updates to its OS every few months.

As we seem to get a major upgrade to the phone OS every year, its not too long to wait.
  • Reply 32 of 170
    sandorsandor Posts: 659member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

While it's interesting that they "look better" now, it also rather sad that 2 years later with the same camera only now produces better results. Video could have also been captured with the same camera- no doubt. In other words it's not the camera but the software that was lacking- as I've always stated but was struck down by the fanboyz.

but this is the beauty of the iPhone.

instead of being stuck with horrid software, like on the Treo 750, knowing that things could be improved, apple is actually making the first phones they sold BETTER.

Palm (especially) would sell you a new phone, but not improve the old

apple will offer software upgrades to improve both the oldest and the newest phones.

THIS is why the iPhone is a strong seller and changing the marketplace. Apple is the first major player to realize it is about software.
  • Reply 33 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

wtf sort of test candidate is a cat? A CAT!

Lots of testing is done with cats and dogs because the fur gives a good test of sharpness.
  • Reply 34 of 170
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Um, there's something called an App store, filled with useful apps.

Darkroom: Free

Makes the iPhone camera shots better.
  • Reply 35 of 170
    atlasboyatlasboy Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwarf420 View Post

I thought I heard that the reason video isn't that good has more to do with the access times on the internal storage than anything else.

And a few other little details like processor speed, available memory, and battery impact. Adding quality video is more complicated than just software. That said, it's good to see some improvement on pics from software updates. If Apple adds the right hardware changes to the next model, video will be worth the wait.
  • Reply 36 of 170
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Praise the Lord!!

The crappy quality of the camera is my biggest of my very few gripes about the glorious iPhone 3G! If the picture quality can be improved without me having to get another phone, I am officially stoked!

I never though that the 2 megapixel size or fixed-focus were necessarily the causes of the lousiness. I had a 0.3MP camera that took some pretty good shots.
  • Reply 37 of 170
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    At what point does Apple decide its software is good enough to release? Essentially, all you folks complaining that these improvements should have happened earlier, would have had the exact same complaints if they had done as you suggest.

If Apple had waited a couple of months to develop, test and integrate these improvements before releasing this, then:

1) The iPhone would have been a few months late.

2) Other features would not have been as well developed

3) If they added any new features, or made any improvements, then the exact same complaints would have come out.

Saying that "Apple should have done this x time ago" is equivalent to saying "I will complain, except if Apple stops improving the iPhone".

Fact is, while it wasn't as good as it could be, the iPhone camera S/W was good enough that it became the most popular device for pics on flickr, and it was used by certain photographers as part of their image portfolio. And there haven't really been any complaints regarding the poor quality of the camera.

Apple releases stuff when its good enough for normal usage, and then keeps improving it...
  • Reply 38 of 170
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

The first camera software was a fantastic achievement considering the pictures it produces are far better than any other camera with the same modest specs can produce. ?"

Seriously -take your blinders off. That statment is a joke. It's pictures were the same if not slightly worse than some cameras with the same specs. And now it's better (improved). If it was so great why did it need to be improved?

Quote:

Why don't you just buy an iPhone and get it over with? We all know you rarely criticise the Apple products you actually buy, just the ones you know nothing about.

I may just surprise you and do just that now that the iPhone finally has all the specs I've demanded (except AT&T)for the last 2 years and have been answered- texting, texting pics, video recording and hopefully sending video, cut and paste and last but not least bluetooth stereo.
  • Reply 39 of 170
    atlasboyatlasboy Posts: 17member
    I can also imagine that some of the same people who complain about it taking so long to release updates would be the first ones to complain that it was buggy if Apple released it early.
  • Reply 40 of 170
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtlasBoy View Post

I can also imagine that some of the same people who complain about it taking so long to release updates would be the first ones to complain that it was buggy if Apple released it early.

What are you all talking about? Pics from Photobooth on my iMac looks crappy yet I'm glad I have it. ( and not because of the subject material).