Popularity of Apple's One-to-One a reason for reform

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A series of changes to Apple's retail-based One-to-One training service slated to go into effect on Tuesday may have been driven in part by the popularity of the program, which is rapidly swelling to complex proportions.

In a discussion with USAToday last week, Apple retail chief Ron Johnson broke word of the upcoming changes, most notable of which is a new restriction on who can purchase a subscription to the personal training service.

Currently, anyone with $99 to spare can sign up for a year-long One-to-One membership. But beginning Tuesday, only those customers who purchase a new Mac from an Apple-owned retail store or the company's online store will be eligible for the program.

Existing One-to-One members and Apple retail insiders commenting on the matter over at ifoAppleStore note that the program has been a resounding success with one exception: recently it's become increasingly difficult for members to secure reservations for training sessions that aren't held during the middle of the work day.

Apple's roughly 250 retail stores already service more than 500,000 One-to-One members, who last quarter combined to sign up for more than 644,000 personal training sessions. Add to that research which reportedly shows 50% of One-to-One members sign up for the service after purchasing their Macs somewhere else, and Apple may have had no option but to restructure the program to better new in-store customers.

As one commenter points out, the changes to One-to-One are part of a broader strategic shift underway at Apple retail stores that will focus on customer service and "Creating Owners." With Apple seeing steep price competition from its growing fleet of authorized Mac resellers, One-to-One's new exclusivity will present novice or new-to-Mac users with a compelling reason to buy direct from the company if there's an Apple store close by.

The new One-to-One will bundle personal setup and data transfer services that were previously part of Apple's complimentary "Standard Care" treatment for each new Mac buyer. This initiation service will reportedly include an invitation for new Mac buyers to return the next day at 5:00 p.m. or later to "meet" their new Mac in an inaugural one hour training session.

A handful of other changes are also in store for Tuesday's service relaunch. First, tipsters tell AppleInsider that members will now be able to register for more than one session each week, given that each new session is registered after the conclusion of the previous session. Apple stores will also host a new 3-hour "Project" session each day for up to six members at a time, headed by a Trainer who'll be available for questions.

Meanwhile, ifoAppleStore notes that Apple will also be adding new Web resources for One-to-One members, including a personalized on-line account that lets them reserve sessions, review session notes, complete on-line training, and view projects from their own or others’ training sessions. The blog adds, however, that the new restrictions mean that One-to-One memberships can no longer be given as gifts or used to bait potential switchers to the Mac platform.

As part of its retail reorganization, Apple also plans to retrofit 40 percent of its stores with Genius Bar customer service stations that can accommodate 50 percent more customers. It'll also be rolling out new display tables capable of showcasing twice as many Macs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    kawaikawai Posts: 10member
    Typo error:

if there's an Apple store close buy

Should be by.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    I am shocked and stunned.

Apple stands alone in the whole world with this kind of high level of client based services. FLAWLESS ,

The future just arrived .

go apple

peace

• Reply 3 of 52
    The demand for One2one is probably overwhelming supply. I remember one ad somewhere in NYC that offer classes for thousands of $ classes for 20 or more students on Apple's Pro applications, which is on par with other specialized pro apps,Wintel or Mac. However One2One is for any Apple apps. Its one reason why apple is getting a 80 or more customer satisfaction ratings
  • Reply 4 of 52
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    i happened to be at my local store this afternoon with a friend that was shopping for a computer and we asked about the changes. so here it is from the horse's mouth

1. you must buy a computer from either a brick and mortar Apple store or their online. no macmall or best buy etc.

2. you must buy the membership (which can be renewed one time) at the time you buy the computer. however you can choose to wait to activate it

3. membership includes a complete file transfer from your old mac (10.4 or higher) or PC (windows xp) so long as the computer is fully functioning. you can do this at time of purchase or if you wish later. however if you do the transfer later it is a clean install and reset. data transfers also come with a one hour 'meet your new mac' training session for those upgraders and switchers that want to see where their stuff is before leaving the store

on the training side. no you can not do 'as much as you want'. you are still restricted to once a week but you have a choice between a one to one 'private lesson', group workshop or you can elect to join one of the free 'open periods' which are a 3 hour block each day limited to 3-4 folks (you can come anytime during that period), designed as a kind of study hall for folks working on projects that just want to do their thing but with someone handy in case of questions or snags. also it is still restricted to apple applications only (no photoshop, microsoft office, etc).

and they are going to have a members only online text and video training service not unlike the 'findouthow' stuff they have for everyone, but with more detailed instruction.

in truth, the data transfer alone is worth the $99, the one year training membership to us is a nice bonus.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Why doesn't Apple just leverage their consultants network to handle overflow.

They should offer special training for say $200 or so and allow consultants to to get

One -to-One certified.

Therefore consumers would get the opportunity to have have perhaps in home training via

a local consultant if appropriate with a small additional fee.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    I think One-to-One should also offer hugs, flowers, and a complimentary Krispy Kreme donut.

GTSC
  • Reply 7 of 52
    avionsavions Posts: 3member
    I understand why Apple did this. However, last year we bought our mom a Macbook. She's a slow learner and we (her sons) won't be around this summer to help her continue to learn. I was planning on purchasing one-to-one service for her in another month...but now I won't be able to.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    fast fred 1fast fred 1 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kawai View Post

Typo error:

if there's an Apple store close buy

Should be by.

should be.....if there's an Apple store close, buy.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avions View Post

I understand why Apple did this. However, last year we bought our mom a Macbook. She's a slow learner and we (her sons) won't be around this summer to help her continue to learn. I was planning on purchasing one-to-one service for her in another month...but now I won't be able to.

You still have a week to go. Purchase it right now and you'll have no problem.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    fast fred 1fast fred 1 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avions View Post

If there is one. Get her to join a Mac User Group where she lives.

A lot of older people join them and get plenty of help.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    If OSX just works and is so intuitive and Vista doesn?t why is the demand so high for personal one on one training...

Seems like a Microsoft commercial just waiting to happen.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan View Post

If OSX just works and is so intuitive and Vista doesn?t why is the demand so high for personal one on one training...

Most people I know using this service happen to be switchers who are new to the system and want large drive transfers and more over to their new system and use it to ask all sorts of questions about the most obvious stuff [obvious to a seasoned users].
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Quote:

Yeah, because human being should have been born with the instincts of how to use modern technology. Just like we don't need to be taught how to go to the bathroom, or eat, or walk, or talk..... oh wait....
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Yeah, because human being should have been born with the instincts of how to use modern technology. Just like we don't need to be taught how to go to the bathroom, or eat, or walk, or talk..... oh wait....

Ease down...

It was a simple question and an observation.

Take your fight to someone else.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Quote:

Ease down...

lol, sorry, I was at the same time in a conversation on that Kansas killing on another forum, guess I was in a snarky frame of mind.

no worries
  • Reply 16 of 52
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I think they should allow one to one trainning to people who brought their Mac elsewhere for higher Price. In fact the one to one trainning should cost $149, ( or $129 ) with people who brought their Mac in Apple store get $50 discount.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:

If OSX just works and is so intuitive and Vista doesn’t why is the demand so high for personal one on one training...

troll
  • Reply 18 of 52
    sbirsssbirss Posts: 2member
    apple reservation service for One to One is down

"The One to One site is currently unavailable."
  • Reply 19 of 52
    Quote:

Ease down...

your post was so annoying a fight will break out
  • Reply 20 of 52
    cwingravcwingrav Posts: 83member
    Interesting because there was that recent rumor about Apple changing their store layouts. It makes sense that these are connected rumors. I.e. expand on the one-to-one and create more in-store space for it.

Additionally, Apple wants to keep buyers in the store and not in the other authorized dealer's place. This is a good program to keep this going. I don't imagine they really want to have more people doing this training. They want a community and this is one heck of a way to get it.