AT&T Navigator turn-by-turn GPS solution hits the App Store

Comments

• Reply 20 of 128
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    This app breaks the rule, stated very clearly by Apple, that free apps remain free. I'm positive no one else will be allowed to offer a free app that uses in-app purchase. AT&T should not either.

This app must cost $0.99 or it is a rule-breaker.
  • Reply 22 of 128
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

TomTom can make the software cheap, but I think they still rely on GPS hardware for the positioning (I could be wrong). I was under the impression that their dash-mount had a GPS unit in it, and they connect to the iPhone for display and maps.

Well yeah but what I mean is they aren't going to make the software that cheap (for whatever reason) even tho they could since Apple is providing the GPS hardware.

EDIT: The dash mount just improves the GPS signal - the app will function fine without it (at least that's what they said during the keynote)
  • Reply 23 of 128
    me2me2 Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Does anyone know if the Tom Tom cradle has a line out jack for letting the iPhone play music through the car stereo?

It will be an FM transmitter.
  • Reply 24 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lepton View Post

This app breaks the rule, stated very clearly by Apple, that free apps remain free. I'm positive no one else will be allowed to offer a free app that uses in-app purchase. AT&T should not either.

This app must cost $0.99 or it is a rule-breaker.

I think they said if it's free you can't qualify for in-app purchases and, also, since this is an AT&T only thing I think they've pretty much skirted the whole issue. It's like how, say, Mafia Live tries to get you to go to their website to buy loyalty points even tho the app is a free download in iTunes.
  • Reply 25 of 128
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I'm confused, this will be 10 bucks a month ON TOP of the unlimited data plan?

With the data plan I have with Sprint, the navigation is free. Always has been. I can't believe AT&T is doing that.
  • Reply 26 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by me2 View Post

It will be an FM transmitter.

That's not what it looked like in the keynote - at least to me. Looked like a line-out cord.
  • Reply 27 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

With the data plan I have with Sprint, the navigation is free. Always has been. I can't believe AT&T is doing that.

It's the same crappy fee they charge everyone else for their navigation - Sprint, as MacVoyer said, is reaching for any kind of advantage they can get to stay afloat. Why aren't people comparing AT&T to, say, Metro PCS? Unlimited everything, 4 lines, $99 a month... Or Boost mobile? There are always better deals than the nationwide companies.
  • Reply 28 of 128
    This is highway robbery! They are already charging me $30 for data plan and the phone already has Google map, which is using the data plan service, why can't someone just build an app on top of that? I am not going to pay another $10/month for this service. Secondly, for other phones I believe the service is $5 why are they charging double for iPhone?

Looks like TomTom might be the solution. The accessory itself would be worth the money as it provides charging dock with handsfree operation.
  • Reply 29 of 128
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

That's not what it looked like in the keynote - at least to me. Looked like a line-out cord.

You saw the power supply.
  • Reply 30 of 128
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

If the app itself is free, and I could just pay for one month's service when I travel, then that is a good deal. If I'm locked into a monthly subscription, then forget it!

That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't mind subscribing for a month here-and-there when I'm traveling someplace unknown. But for my normal, everyday travel I can already find my way around, thankyouverymuch. And we haven't seen the TomTom pricing yet.

I'm off to compare how this "subscription service" will cost out against just buying a dedicated unit...
  • Reply 31 of 128
    milfordmilford Posts: 26member
    Quote:

EDIT: On a side note does anyone think an independent programmer could make a Google Maps based turn by turn and release it on the app store for. idk, $10?

xGPS for jailbroken iPhones does exactly this, and pretty well at this point. Alas, there are two fundamental problems: downloading maps on the fly (for me, this would be the dealbreaker for the AT&T app, even apart from the cost), and a more annoying but intractable one: the maps are upside down whenever you are going south! Google's maps are pre-rendered, including the text, so there is nothing to be done if you use them (as far as I know) -- whenever you go south (happens pretty often!) all the street names, etc, are upsidedown -- though the turn and voice directions still work fine.
  • Reply 32 of 128
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This is a great development for the US market. Instead of locking the phone only to its service AT&T has to compete with other GPS applications. In the US this has not been the common practice.
  • Reply 33 of 128
    You are not getting it for "free". You are paying for it. The more important question is do you have any other option for a GPS service other than Verizon's?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I own a "non-smart" phone and get GPS free with my data plan on Verizon. My wife and I get all messaging, data, email and GPS for less than the cost of an iPhone and non-iPhone with AT&T. If it were two iPhones the cost would be impossible.

• Reply 34 of 128
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Subscription model sucks...$9.95/mth = $120 yr.

Why not buy a standalone GPS?

Do city streets change so much that one needs to update maps every year?

I'm fine with every YEAR. It's every MONTH that makes no sense to me.

I appreciate the effort on the part of the app developers to find a renewing revenue model, but turn-by-turn navigation does not add enough value month over month to justify the price.

For the same $120 that this subscription would cost you for one year, you can buy an entry level TomTom.
  • Reply 35 of 128
    Stand alone GPS still charge for software updates. For the iPhone some GPS services will only sell certain areas of the map, and you have to pay more to acquire other areas.

Quote:

• Reply 36 of 128
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Do all these turn-by-turn apps have all the features that normal GPS devices have (I see the AT&T one does have some)? That is major sites, gas stations, restaurant locator, etc?

How's the turn-by-turn voice? It would be neat to choose between mulitple voices (male/female) and languages.

I wouldn't pay the $9.95 monthly fee. If it was $2.95 then sure.
  • Reply 37 of 128
    Quote:

Uh, yeah, they do, it's called contsruction detours
  • Reply 38 of 128
    If any other turn-by-turn app that comes out also doesn't have a fee.
  • Reply 39 of 128
    From what I understand Google does not license its maps for use with turn by turn.

Quote:

er.

EDIT: On a side note does anyone think an independent programmer could make a Google Maps based turn by turn and release it on the app store for. idk, $10? I'd be willing to pay $10 for something that used turn by turn but still relied on the cell towers but a monthly subscription - yeah, I'm out...

• Reply 40 of 128
    AT&T isn't desperately trying to do anything it can to stop hemorrhaging nearly a million customers each quarter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post