Published: LSD inventor's letter to Apple CEO Steve Jobs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by itistoday View Post

There is no objective interpretation of how good or bad a drug is for you. It is completely dependent on your own subjective opinion of the drug and the experience.

It is a shame, however, that for the majority of people, their opinion of such substances is largely based on a body of work known as "brainwashing". They don't actually even possess their own opinion on the substance, because they've never tried it, because they simply regurgitate and subscribe to what they've been told by other brainwashed people, and people with ulterior motives who prefer to believe in fairy tales and Hollywood scenarios.

I've tried them all and I speak from experience as you can see from the depth of knowledge in my posts.

Illegal drugs are bad for your body, period.

Even Steve Jobs learned that lesson, because now he is a total health freak with a large garden on his front lawn. (I've seen it)

His valuable lesson and mine are the same, take care of your body.

Get a MAO high from skydiving or a roller coaster ride. No drugs needed, your body creates it.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

Don't be a dork. He's warning people of what can happen if you're irresponsible. You're twisting his words.

I don't believe I am, I was quoting him directly:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper

I never thought I'd say this, but drugs are really not good for you.

Edit: Here's another one:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper

Drugs are bad for your body, period.

• Reply 23 of 90
    Quote:

It sounds to me like you had negative experiences with drugs due to your own personal inability to properly and safely use them. You are now projecting these negative experiences onto others, assuming that somehow your experience is universal.

Your funny.
  • Reply 24 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Your funny.

Conversation's over, I've gotta go.
  • Reply 25 of 90
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

I never much cared for LSD, but the handful of times I've eaten psilocybin mushrooms (sometimes recreationally, to be perfectly honest) certainly helped shape the way I think about the world and my place (and humanity's place) in it; the experiences lead me to a more holistic view of life, which have contributed to me being a much happier, healthier person (and it's been many, many years since I last touched the stuff).

People who refuse to be open-minded about this stuff will just frown dismissively say "he's just a druggie," and that's their loss, but psychedelic experiences really can ? if you choose to let it, and you don't just want to "get fucked up" ? expand a person's consciousness. It's like most other experiences that way, really.

Sorry, can't say I've ever know even a single person who's life was improved by drugs.

Ruined? Can't count. Never done LSD, but I've seen friends do it. It ain't a pretty sight. If you think staring at cracks in the sidewalk for 15 minutes, then another 15 minutes staring at the bark on the tree is "mind expanding," have a good time. A number have said their concentration was effected for weeks after doing this. Others just plain had bad experiences and found it frightening.

I'd suggest you don't make it a habit if you want a life and a job.
  • Reply 26 of 90
    This hardly counts. Should we talk about the brand of car Steve drove too fast through stop signs, too?
  • Reply 27 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

Sorry, can't say I've ever know even a single person who's life was improved by drugs.

Well, isn't that interesting? Now you know 3 people: Steve Jobs, gmcalpin, and myself. If you look you'll find a whole lot more! You could start with famous people (i.e. like John Lennon), or you could perhaps ask some of your drug-using friends for their opinions, just try not to project your opinions ("looking at a sidewalk for 15 minutes" = bad) onto them.

Yes, this time I'm really going (so much work to do...), sorry for ditching the conversation! I suppose you could call this a hit-and-run, but hopefully I'll be back later.
  • Reply 28 of 90
    Quote:

Conversation's over, I've gotta go.

But you'll say nooo, nooo, nooo
  • Reply 29 of 90
    silenciosilencio Posts: 134member
    MacTripper makes some excellent points. I've been mostly "straight edge" my entire life, but I don't personally frown on others' use of psychedelics or pot.

I used to be a bit more judgmental: back in my freshman year of college, Dr. Timothy Leary was speaking on our campus and he happened to walk past me on our quad. Full of piss and vinegar, I kind of confronted him and said that only weak minds require psychedelic drugs to achieve alternate levels of consciousness. He was a good sport about it and we actually had an excellent conversation.

I've taken mushrooms a couple of times and had positive enough experiences, but I still believe my mind is capable of going to far more intriguing and enlightening places on its own without chemical aid, either through dreaming or through just "letting go" of my consciousness.

I've also seen the damage done to friends over the years by coke, speed, and heroin (not to mention alcohol to the point of dependence). Bad, bad stuff.
  • Reply 30 of 90
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

So are a lot of other chemicals which are added to or sprayed on foods. If we knew every effect of every chemical we put in our bodies, we'd likely be able to avoid a lot of illness and prolong our lives

So really, drugs aren't any different than anything else. Other than the fact that, most of the time, we have a trackable supply chain with legally produced goods, and thus can make more informed decisions about them. But there's no guarantee that all legally produced goods are perfectly safe for consumption.

Quote:

Even Steve Jobs learned that lesson, because now he is a total health freak

It could have been the LSD which helped him come to understand that in the first place. Or, more likely, the life changing experience of cancer. These are the things I was talking about in my post.

I'm not going to make it a black and white issue because it's not as simple as that. Sex can be addictive and potentially harmful, food can be addictive and potentially harmful, work can be used as an escape and be potentially harmful -- all the same as drugs. The only advice I'd give is for people to take the time to analyze their life at certain points to ensure the path they're on is giving them a life which is right for them and not harming people they care about.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
  • Reply 32 of 90
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Drugs are bad mmmkay?

I was on the verge of using that quote in one of my posts.

Here's another good one

I never noticed the great synth sound in that ad before.
  • Reply 33 of 90
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Using the new API I made a bong that when attached to the iPhone measures the amount of smoke needed for an ideal hit. An alarm goes off if you take your lips away from the bong to early.

Post of the year! Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
  • Reply 34 of 90
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:

A little simplistic, don't you think? The article mentions researchers who are testing valid pharmacological uses for LSD. It may very well be that LSD, when administered in the correct circumstance and at the correct dosage, is actually beneficial!

Daily insulin injections help millions of diabetics stay healthy. Insulin is a drug and it would be pretty hard to argue that insulin is bad for your body considering that a healthy body produces its own insulin. As with everything, it's all about dosage! Force-feed yourself 10 gallons of water today without properly replenishing your electrolytes and you will die of because of it.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:

Well, isn't that interesting? Now you know 3 people: Steve Jobs, gmcalpin, and myself. If you look you'll find a whole lot more! You could start with famous people (i.e. like John Lennon), or you could perhaps ask some of your drug-using friends for their opinions, just try not to project your opinions ("looking at a sidewalk for 15 minutes" = bad) onto them.

Don't forget Cary Grant. http://www.carygrant.net/autobiograp...phy14.html#lsd
  • Reply 36 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

So really, drugs aren't any different than anything else....I'm not going to make it a black and white issue because it's not as simple as that. Sex can be addictive and potentially harmful, food can be addictive and potentially harmful, work can be used as an escape and be potentially harmful -- all the same as drugs. The only advice I'd give is for people to take the time to analyze their life at certain points to ensure the path they're on is giving them a life which is right for them and not harming people they care about.

Anything can be harmful in the wrong amounts, unfortunately any amount of illegal drugs is harmful.

Because once one gets started, it takes more and more to achieve the same results.

And pot makes you dumb, Cheech and Chong are prime examples of the results, I've seen some Hawaiians who use a lot of packalolo get the same way. Dumb as bricks.

Drugs can be poorly made or cut with harmful additives and do some serious damage. In the case of crack cocaine, addiction can be immediate after the first use, the down is so strong, one just wants to be normal or high again.

Drugs just swing your body out it's normal balanced emotional state and into a high then low, then high then low cycle. Like kids playing see-saw.

If you run out of drugs and can't get anymore, you eventually normalize back to the emotional state you were at before you started drugs.

So if one finds out what is wrong that is keeping them from being happy all the time, then they can stay happy most of the time, all of their lives, without drugs!

Sometimes it is a imbalance, and a small amount of legal drugs given by a doctor can raise the normal balanced emotional state up a notch. Sometimes it's the lack of physical, emotional or group need, we are herd animals and like to be with others. It could be a lack of proper nutrition or something else, but finding out what the human needs helps a lot to isolate the problem one is having.

Some people have bi-polar disorder, and need to take their Lithium to keep their emotional balance stable.

I'm not a doctor, but if someone is serious considering using drugs, that they should seek a doctors care and find out the cause of their low emotional state instead of experimenting with illicit substances and risking their life.

Because if they use illegal drugs and become addicted, they first have to kick that habit problem first, then find out the root cause of their initial problem that drove them to use drugs in the first place and then solve that. So using illegal drugs is a waste of time in physical, emotional or mental problem solving.

Recreational drug use is rather temporary, but can lead to a dependency problem all the same.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

A little simplistic, don't you think? The article mentions researchers who are testing valid pharmacological uses for LSD. It may very well be that LSD, when administered in the correct circumstance and at the correct dosage, is actually beneficial!

Daily insulin injections help millions of diabetics stay healthy. Insulin is a drug and it would be pretty hard to argue that insulin is bad for your body considering that a healthy body produces its own insulin. As with everything, it's all about dosage! Force-feed yourself 10 gallons of water today without properly replenishing your electrolytes and you will die of because of it.

You took my sentence out of context. You know I meant illegal drugs.

I've clarified my earlier post and added "illegal" to help out our less fortunate readers.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

Air fare is way more expensive than mushrooms.

(And not to be pedantic, but LSD and mushrooms are not physically addictive at all.)

Correct. And if the prior poster actually got actual LSD [outside of a lab ceased to happen by 1970] he would have to confess that Shrooms are far more tame in the mind expansion than LSD.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    all drugs are bad (for your health) because they affect your body.

It's not use to argue with specious about foods or works. Yeah, stuff can be dangerous, what is your point ? to not care about it ?

For medicinal reason, professionals assist you to cure a sickness. It's not without reason. ALL drugs, legal or not are dangerous. Even insulin.

You should only take one because you are perfectly sure of the effect and it will allow you to have a good life.

--

MacTripper explains the danger of illegal drugs. Because they are illegal, you can never trust who give it to you, what is really inside, and how you will react. and beside, authority will try to put you in jail. (I disagree but it's a fact).

It's too much dangerous. It does not worth the cost.

It's not about moral, authority or whatever your church tell you. It's simply that : it's too much dangerous.
  • Reply 40 of 90
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    when i read these articles, always feel the need to take a half hoffman.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oomu View Post

all drugs are bad (for your health) because they affect your body.

oh please, church boy... besides, last time i checked, mushrooms were not illegal where i live...