Education, business markets lag for Apple

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Apple should license Mac OS X on any PC out there to boost market share to 90% worldwide!!!

Or at least and to start with on the mode range that Apple does not make, like the UMPC, NetBooks, Tablets, etc.

i'd buy it in a heartbeat. you can already install it on some Dell and HP computers with no issues.

problem is Apple needs Microsoft for continued iPhone development and maybe even MobileMe and I don't know if MS is ready to give up the Windows/Office cash flow.

but I think the era of the big OS development project is coming to an end. Takes too much resources to develop for incremental improvements and I see changes coming soon.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    Nobody in education or business cares that their users get a crappy XP or Vista machine, especially if its cheap. Also IT support people spent their whole careers learning microsoft and getting creditation, why would they degrade their usefulness by promoting a machine they don't know to support.

I give all my staff Apple and get an IT support who knows OS X inside out. We are really productive and everybody loves their machines - except maybe the Excel guy who has to use poorly ported MS products.

QED
  • Reply 43 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

The problem is that in education you have a certain budget. Here in New York I can get a 1 proccessor 4 core Xeon workstation (yes workstation) with a quadro video card for $1000 through state contract. The equivalent apple would be $2499 or above.

In todays economy with tax payers hounding us to be better with tax payers money of course education sales would go down .

PS I work for a library.

do you really need all that? where I work we buy $500 HP laptops and $500 desktops for people. THe desktops last for years. i have a P4 from 5 years ago that still works great even with Windows 7 and Vista. The laptops go to sales people and others on the road. they are always getting destroyed from the abuse and we just junk them and buy a new one.

you can buy warranties or more expensive laptops, but it's not worth the extra cost. in the Army we used to use Panasonic Toughbooks. those things are meant to go to war and come back in one piece

personally after my expensive HP laptop experience i'll never buy an HP again and probably never an expensive laptop. I'll consider a MBP, but nothing expensive from Dell or HP
  • Reply 44 of 67
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well I guess you can't have it both ways. You can't offer premium products at premium prices and try to appeal to public schools at the same time. I mean does BMW or Mercedes Benz supply our schools with cars for driver's education? I suspect Dell must be the leader in education based on their low prices.

Then how do you explain the gangbuster business Apple has been doing in education all along?

Believe it or not, schools want to invest in quality as much as anyone else.

The problem with ed sales is the disasterous (and idiotic) slashing of school budgets across the country.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i'd buy it in a heartbeat. you can already install it on some Dell and HP computers with no issues.

problem is Apple needs Microsoft for continued iPhone development and maybe even MobileMe and I don't know if MS is ready to give up the Windows/Office cash flow.

but I think the era of the big OS development project is coming to an end. Takes too much resources to develop for incremental improvements and I see changes coming soon.

"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it."

We've been there before, and it was one of the brilliant moves that almost put Apple out of business.

Apple is quality because they control the hardware.

Never again.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

And you think Dell is #1? Link please? Don't post things without proof!

Guess you forgot how to read and missed the part of my post where i specifically said I was only speculating, I never once even hinted that what I was saying was fact, but it's okay, maybe you went to a school that used those Dell's instead of Apple computers, and when reading class came along, they were broken. I understand.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it."

We've been there before, and it was one of the brilliant moves that almost put Apple out of business.

Apple is quality because they control the hardware.

Never again.

and the hardware is virtually the same in Mac's as in PC's. Mac Pro's are servers under a desk and everything else is a laptop even if it's in an iMac case. I bet i can find a replacement Dell or HP laptop motherboard that will go into an iMac case as a replacement.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    aquia33aquia33 Posts: 70member
    Well the State of Maine seems to like Apple. Link provided. One down 49 to go. http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=218102131
  • Reply 49 of 67
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Spare me regarding Education Sales. Sales for Education/Higher Ed don't kick in until August/September.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    aquia33aquia33 Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Spare me regarding Education Sales. Sales for Education/Higher Ed don't kick in until August/September.

I disagree, schools start back in August/September buying is in full swing now, if not in early spring. They need these systems, especially the infrastructure, delivered and operating by the fall so a school year can hit the ground running.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    Quote:

Apple should license Mac OS X on any PC out there to boost market share to 90% worldwide!!!

Or at least and to start with on the mode range that Apple does not make, like the UMPC, NetBooks, Tablets, etc.

Ok, I can't let this go....Apple's success and customer appeal is not due just to the OS. It's the build and OSX combined. If Apple did as you suggest, we would all end up in "DLL/Driver Not Found" Hell....Just like Microsoft's customers!
  • Reply 52 of 67
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

So you made it up then, if you don't know that elementary answer?

Ba-dum-boom!

I see what you did there . . .
  • Reply 53 of 67
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

You're new here, right?
  • Reply 54 of 67
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Every forum has to have a Cartman...

And a couple of Stewie Griffith's, I might add.

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress

Its not my job to do your research either....

Quote:

Show me a link that proves it wrong....

• Reply 55 of 67
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    So, does anyone know how the rest of the computer industry did in education sales this quarter?
  • Reply 56 of 67
    Quote:

You do it all the time...you just don't realize it....

In fact...well you just did it!

Why you can't understand the difference between a consumer market and an educational market is just not my problem.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

So, does anyone know how the rest of the computer industry did in education sales this quarter?

I don't think we'll find out for another week or two
  • Reply 58 of 67
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Apple COO Tim Cook revealed during Tuesday's earnings report conference call that Mac sales in both the U.S. education and business markets have slowed due to budget constraints in both sectors.

In overall educational sales, Apple was down 6 percent. Cook said grades kindergarten through 12 fared worse, while higher education sales in colleges were about even with the same period a year prior.

Cook said things could turn around for Mac purchases in the educational sector when federal economic stimulus funds make their way down to individual schools. However, the executive said he is not confident that will happen in the coming September quarter.

The blame game has just started.

You have to love it when executives fail to make the right decisions on issues such as prices, profit margins, quality and product features, yet blame the recession or government for declining sales.

Who else than Apple would increase its gross profit margin from 34.8% in the year ago quarter to a stellar 36.3% in the middle of the worst worldwide recession since the Great Depression of the 1930's? Who else would be so arrogant as to believe that it would not be impacted by its policy of maintaining the highest prices on the market?

Who else?

Price is what matters. Companies and schools go for quality and affordable prices. They don't give a damn about Apple's greed and don't want to be overcharged by 40% just so that Apple executives can line their pockets with extravagant stock option bonuses.

Companies and schools have given up on Apple. And things will get worse for Apple with the launch of Windows 7 which can be installed on affordable netbooks, notebooks or quad-core desktops.

Greed and arrogance were the downfall of Apple.

• Reply 59 of 67
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

I don't think we'll find out for another week or two

Maybe you will and maybe you won't, but either way, that won't stop you from comparing something to nothing.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

The blame game has just started.

You have to love it when executives fail to make the right decisions on issues such as prices, profit margins, quality and product features, yet blame the recession or government for declining sales.

Who else than Apple would increase its gross profit margin from 34.8% in the year ago quarter to a stellar 36.3% in the middle of the worst worldwide recession since the Great Depression of the 1930's? Who else would be so arrogant as to believe that it would not be impacted by its policy of maintaining the highest prices on the market?

Who else?

Price is what matters. Companies and schools go for quality and affordable prices. They don't give a damn about Apple's greed and don't want to be overcharged by 40% just so that Apple executives can line their pockets with extravagant stock option bonuses.

Companies and schools have given up on Apple. And things will get worse for Apple with the launch of Windows 7 which can be installed on affordable netbooks, notebooks or quad-core desktops.

Greed and arrogance were the downfall of Apple.

You're a fool.

The bulk of all educational spending happens in August in the United States.