Nintendo warns iPhone may damage its sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

As Apple continues to drink everyone's milkshake I try very hard not to gloat.

exactly, first rule, "don't bet against Apple!"

If Apple doesn't make it....I won't buy it! Tech, software, doesn't matter.

I broke down and had to buy a Flat screen TV last year with an AppleTV. I was hoping and waiting for apple to come out with a sleek TV with an elegant interface. Nope, now I have a nice TV with a clunky interface and a horrible remote.

At least it matches the cable TV interface, ie., inelegant and clunky!

Didn't buy a GPS (too MS centric and expensive and look like bricks), waited for the iPhone to incorporate it. Won't buy a SkyCaddie (looks like a brick), either, waiting for a $99 App on the iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 239
    camroidv27camroidv27 Posts: 523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

exactly, first rule, "don't bet against Apple!"

If Apple doesn't make it....I won't buy it! Tech, software, doesn't matter.

I broke down and had to buy a Flat screen TV last year with an AppleTV. I was hoping and waiting for apple to come out with a sleek TV with an elegant interface. Nope, now I have a nice TV with a clunky interface and a horrible remote.

At least it matches the cable TV interface, ie., inelegant and clunky!

Didn't buy a GPS (too MS centric and expensive and look like bricks), waited for the iPhone to incorporate it. Won't buy a SkyCaddie (looks like a brick), either, waiting for a $99 App on the iPhone.

But if Apple were to make a TV, it'd still be a TV, just a "looks nice" UI. I would hope they would include decent innards (OLED?! HA!) instead of the same innards as other TVs. (Reference: Computers) But would you be willing to spend the extra 500 dollars on the Apple Branded TV set? If so, where can I sign up for your job!
  • Reply 23 of 239
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

iPhone 3GS is not more powerful than a Wii. That is pretty ridiculous. You are able to do certain things hardware wise that you cannot on Wii, but Wii still outputs better graphics and offers 1:1 control. I don't doubt Apple's ability to position iPhone 3GS against DS and Wii and be very successful doing so, but let's not get carried away with hype.

The 3GS is not more powerful than a Wii on pure specs but if there are some limitations by Nintendo it might not be as ridiculous a comparison as one might think. The Wii seems to me to be kinda memory constrained.

In any case, the iPhone does have more memory and is a 600Mhz ARM (RISC) vs a 729Mhz Broadway aka Power (RISC). It's the Hollywood in the Wii that kicks the PowerVR around.

Still is it a pretty wimpy console for this generation.

An aTV with a 1Ghz Samsung Cortex A8 and a ATI Imageon would probably equal it.

We're talking 80M triangles/sec, > 500 M pixels/s for the ATI Imageon vs 100M triangles/sec, 972M pixels/sec for the ATI Hollywood.

It would be a wash hardware spec wise with a lot more memory and compatibility with iPhone games.

But what does it really matter anyway? The Sony PSP does 33M triangles/sec, 664M pixles per sec vs the 120K triangles/sec, 30M pixels/sec of the DS. Who won that one?

Nintendo knows that Apple is eyeing the same market space as them. It's much larger than the one occupied by Sony and Microsoft but it's also a LOT easier to compete from a hardware spec perspective and Apple is no slouch at software ecosystems. Something Sony traditionally stinks at.
  • Reply 24 of 239
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Wii≠Big advancement

Just as

Natal≠Big advancement

If Apple updates the AppleTV to Wii- like performance for my iPhone and Touch, I will take back all I've ever said against the AppleTV.
  • Reply 25 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    changed mind...
  • Reply 26 of 239
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    The flood gate is about to open. And when it does, it will wash out many companies including retailers.

The stakes here are immense. Unless competitors like Nintendo and Sony reconfigure their game units to download games online, they will be gone in a matter of few years. CD/DVDs and their cases are a mess. The stores that sell them are even a bigger mess.

Adapt or vanish. Thanks Apple for saving us from the evils of corporate marketing. Enough is enough. No more bullshit!
  • Reply 27 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

The stakes here are immense. Unless competitors like Nintendo and Sony reconfigure their game units to download games online, they will be gone in a matter of few years. CD/DVDs and their cases are a mess. The stores that sell them are even a bigger mess.

Adapt or vanish. Thanks Apple for saving us from the evils of corporate marketing. Enough is enough. No more bullshit!

What do you mean? Both the DSi and PSP can download games from their respective online stores, from the console.
  • Reply 28 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I agree. The Wii was a laughingstock before it was released, lest we forget--it was coming out too late and with not nearly enough processing power to compete. And that stupid name!! But it changed the way millions of people look at console gaming and brought uther millions into a market they previously had no interest in. It clearly was a (sorry for the pun) game changer.

The parallel to the iPhone is not insignificant. Laughed at by the industry, but quickly turning the market upside down...

Also, the controller was considered to be a very risky move. People were saying (even on the gaming sites) that it would be too hard to use, and that people wouldn't like it.

They should have seen the ten to twelve kids that came to our house every Friday night playing with the thing.

But consoles are a slow product to evolve. That's how they make money on it. They make them well after the R&R has been paid off, and the big marketing push has ended.

If Nintendo has to evolve their devices more quickly than intended because the iPhone/Touch is upgraded every year, they will have a problem. Their business model will suffer.

I can see the iPhone in another generation becoming a very serious gaming device. Wireless communication to the Tv will give them a big one up. It will happen.

I can see games where a number of iPhone/Touch users are all playing together outputting to the Tv, with the processing power of the game being divided amongst the entire number of devices.

There would be no way that one handheld from Nintendo or Sony could beat that. No way that a Wii could come close. Even the XBox and PS3 would be challenged.

And with controller devices like this coming out, hopefully soon, controls will be better for those who don't like the accelerometers.

http://www.22moo.com.au/gamebonepro.html

Or, if they get their act together, this:

http://www.icontrolpad.com/
  • Reply 29 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Agreed. While it has some high quality games that can show what the platform is capable of, the touchscreen is just not sufficient enough. Now if they perhaps allowed a controller to be created and attached via the dock connector, then it will get even better.

Read my post, #29, just before this one.
  • Reply 30 of 239
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I heard the DSi and PSP online stores:

Don't have ALL the platform's titles availible

Have mainly smaller / casual games

Are uniquely DRM'd to the single device

Cost a lot

On the flip side, all AppStore titles are availible from the AppStore(obviously) they are DRM'd to your iTunes account, so the girlfriend, me, my nephew can all share the same games only buying them once. Games are cheaper anyway.

For a family that has parents with iPhones sharing an iTunes store account surely not having to pay anything else to load the same titles onto their kids iPod Touch weighs heavily against buying a DSi.

How popular would the Playstations have been if there hadn't been modchips? The N64 game better graphics than the PSX but CD was copyable, had better video/sound/voice, and killed the N64.

I don't know how Apple will fare in the living room, but in the pocket space it's already the begining of the end for their compeditors.

Why doesn't the DSi have accelerometer, after it's success on the Wii? Real Racing on the iPhone is tops because of this analog control.
  • Reply 31 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But consoles are a slow product to evolve. That's how they make money on it. They make them well after the R&R has been paid off, and the big marketing push has ended.

If Nintendo has to evolve their devices more quickly than intended because the iPhone/Touch is upgraded every year, they will have a problem. Their business model will suffer.

They also get some consistancy this way, if you upgrade the hardware on your device every year then it can put some people off purchasing them, as the device purchased this year may not play the games very well that come out next year.

PC Gaming is a good example of this. At least with the PS3 I will know that my console purchased two years ago will play the games that come out next year fine.
  • Reply 32 of 239
    I would just like to point out that it is true that the iphone is a much more powerful machine but it also costs significantly more the iphone 3g prices are $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB). with no plan, and the iPod touch 16GB is $299. Compared to the Wii at $249.99 and the DSi at $169.99 and DS Lite at 129.99. The argument made that the Tales of Monkey island would look better on the iPhone and this is likely because the Wii is a Standard Definition machine, it is not built for graphics, its whole sell is the motion controls, the nun chuck, Wii fit balance board and the new Wii MotionPlus It is about party motion gaming. up to four players on the one console. I don't think the wii should be compared to the iPhone because it is a console and is not portable. Comparing the iPhone and iPod Touch to the DS and PSP is more reasonable. The PSP 3000 is priced at 169.99 and the new PSP Go is 249.99. The PSP Go and the iPod Touch are probably more akin, similar price point, similar connectivity, WiFi, similar display res: 480 x 272 psp vs 280 x 320 iPod Touch. but still the psp is about gaming and then movie watching, internet browsing, skype calling and all that other stuff, whereas the ipod touch is abut music and then all that other stuff. The DS is a casual gamers system ,is significantly cheaper than the ipod touch and due to its two screens can really do completely different things.

tell me what you think
  • Reply 33 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

But if Apple were to make a TV, it'd still be a TV, just a "looks nice" UI. I would hope they would include decent innards (OLED?! HA!) instead of the same innards as other TVs. (Reference: Computers) But would you be willing to spend the extra 500 dollars on the Apple Branded TV set? If so, where can I sign up for your job!

I take your point(s) very valid....but for $500 I would be so inclined! Just for the simple fact that it, most likely, (being an Apple designed flat screen TV), would have less cables, an elegant interface (with a few Apple touches, to boot), a decent remote and may even have an AppleTV inside!

All conjecture I know, but one can hope.

LG, Sony, Hitachi and the rest of the TV manufactures had better watch out or they will all experience what Garmin and Tom Tom are experiencing. Better get onboard b/c Apple is a knock'n are your door!
  • Reply 34 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

iPhone 3GS is not more powerful than a Wii. That is pretty ridiculous. You are able to do certain things hardware wise that you cannot on Wii, but Wii still outputs better graphics and offers 1:1 control. I don't doubt Apple's ability to position iPhone 3GS against DS and Wii and be very successful doing so, but let's not get carried away with hype.

I'm not so sure. The Wii is pretty weak as a console, not much better than the previous model.

It also has good but not great video. No HD at all, though it does look good via my 61" set.

But this generation of iPhone does do 640 x 480 x 30 fps. That's not bad either. There are examples of people having unlocked the video mode to shoot 720p on the 3GS. That video looks really good. Obviously the phone can output that if Apple allowed it. The chips inside do.

If Apple uses a dual core, higher speed cpu next year, with the faster video chip that's out already, then it would very much exceed all of the Wii's computing capabilities.

When will the Wii be discontinued for a later model?

You see, that's a big problem for them. They, and the other console makers can only upgrade every five years or so. But Apple is upgrading every year. This years phone is between two and four times as fast. Next years will again be between two and four times faster.

Likely, after that, things will begin to level out, but a speed increase of maybe 20 to 50% could be expected every year for a few years more.

Where will the Wii be in two years? Exactly the same as it is now. Maybe at the end of three more years, a new, faster one will finally come out.

But as the iPhone can now have networked game play, as the DS can, I expect Apple to move beyond that to using a simple variation of XGrid, or something similar to allow networked computation for a number of devices in the same game.

There isn't any way that a simpler, cheaper handheld can do that. There is no way a single console could match it.

Yes, I know it's speculative, but not farfetched.
  • Reply 35 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

They also get some consistancy this way, if you upgrade the hardware on your device every year then it can put some people off purchasing them, as the device purchased this year may not play the games very well that come out next year.

PC Gaming is a good example of this. At least with the PS3 I will know that my console purchased two years ago will play the games that come out next year fine.

Yes, they do. But then, games for the Wii or DS are MUCH more expensive than the ones for Apple.

I don't mind upgrading a $10 game once a year nearly as much as I would a $35 game, or a $50 one.

I'd say that an iPhone is good for two years as far as that goes. Companies will ensure that their games at least play as well as possible for two generations, which is as long as most people will keep their phones, or Touches.
  • Reply 36 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

The flood gate is about to open. And when it does, it will wash out many companies including retailers.

Agreed, especially your point about retailers...everyone sees how Apple is a game changer on Tech, software, cell phones, computers, iPods, etc., but not so much on how they have out sold Walmart and Target on music and a big part of Blockbusters demise. Apple certainly is giving Verizon, ATT, MS, Rim, Motorola, HP, Sony, Nintendo, Sprint, Palm, all Music labels, all television networks, Movie studios, GPS companies, Nokia, Erikson, Dell, Gateway, Toshiba.....all of them fits!

Apple has shown the way with iTunes (digital realm) and the Apple stores (brick and mortar). Not to mention the App store!

PS. I can't believe Apple hasn't created an App store for the computers (iMac, MacBooks, etc.). Think of the shareware and all the software that could be "delivered" this way. Or how about a camera flash unit attached with a 30 pin adaptor?
  • Reply 37 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lunchboxwarrior View Post

I would just like to point out that it is true that the iphone is a much more powerful machine but it also costs significantly more the iphone 3g prices are $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB). with no plan, and the iPod touch 16GB is $299. Compared to the Wii at $249.99 and the DSi at $169.99 and DS Lite at 129.99. The argument made that the Tales of Monkey island would look better on the iPhone and this is likely because the Wii is a Standard Definition machine, it is not built for graphics, its whole sell is the motion controls, the nun chuck, Wii fit balance board and the new Wii MotionPlus It is about party motion gaming. up to four players on the one console. I don't think the wii should be compared to the iPhone because it is a console and is not portable. Comparing the iPhone and iPod Touch to the DS and PSP is more reasonable. The PSP 3000 is priced at 169.99 and the new PSP Go is 249.99. The PSP Go and the iPod Touch are probably more akin, similar price point, similar connectivity, WiFi, similar display res: 480 x 272 psp vs 280 x 320 iPod Touch. but still the psp is about gaming and then movie watching, internet browsing, skype calling and all that other stuff, whereas the ipod touch is abut music and then all that other stuff. The DS is a casual gamers system ,is significantly cheaper than the ipod touch and due to its two screens can really do completely different things.

tell me what you think

While all of those facts seem to be true, it doesn't mean that your conclusions derived from them, are.

People these days need phones. They don't need game machines. A DS is not needed.

To have the game machine in the phone therefore is a big plus. It's also relieving you of carrying two devices.

Games are MUCH cheaper.

So of you buy ten DS games at $35 apiece, that's $350 for games. For the iPhone, that's $100.

How long does it take before the iPhone or Touch become much CHEAPER than the DS? Six months? nine? A year?

Nothing much that you can do on the DS or PSP that can't be done on Apple's devices, often much more cheaply.
  • Reply 38 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

While all of those facts seem to be true, it doesn't mean that your conclusions derived from them, are.

People these days need phones. They don't need game machines. A DS is not needed.

To have the game machine in the phone therefore is a big plus. It's also relieving you of carrying two devices.

Games are MUCH cheaper.

So of you buy ten DS games at $35 apiece, that's $350 for games. For the iPhone, that's $100.

How long does it take before the iPhone or Touch become much CHEAPER than the DS? Six months? nine? A year?

Nothing much that you can do on the DS or PSP that can't be done on Apple's devices, often much more cheaply.

Good point! Just look at GPS on the iPhone. Let's see, carry two devices...a GPS unit (shaped like a brick) and a phone or one device-the iPhone? Think what the iPhone could do to the slim "snap shot" camera market if the iPhone had flash capability!
  • Reply 39 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good point! Just look at GPS on the iPhone. Let's see, carry two devices...a GPS unit (shaped like a brick) and a phone or one device-the iPhone? Think what the iPhone could do to the slim "snap shot" camera market if the iPhone had flash capability!

That's a third device you don't need.
  • Reply 40 of 239
    I remember early in the 2000's when people were saying that phones would never take over from PDA's, because phones were phones, and the built-in PDA was an afterthought, harder to use, and not as powerful.

Everyone who still carries a PDA along with their phones, raise their hands.

Oh, come on, I know there must be a few of you!