FCC to investigate markets where iPhone is not available

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

I agree. I live in a rural area, and can't figure out why no senators are working to get me

3G or DSL. We need connectivity. The posters who are slamming you and saying that

those of us who choose to live in rural areas just have to suffer the inconvenience are not

looking at the whole picture. Every area in the US should have these basic things, not just

where the population density makes it super-profitable. I've been to rural areas in Europe

where there is 3G. I've been to small villages in Bulgaria where ordinary people have

affordable high-speed internet in their homes. Why is it there? Because the government

and corporations care to provide service, knowing that it helps keep people connected,

educated, buying things, etc. It's the right thing to do.

If they can do it, why can't "the greatest, richest country in the world" do it?

The US is more than 90x the size of Bulgaria. It's relatively easy to blanket the country in high speed Internet or mobile telephony by comparison. This is a stupid argument.
  • Reply 82 of 87
    You look as if you are calling everybody's thoughts stupid.
  • Reply 83 of 87
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kuth View Post

Obviously you don't live in a rural area. I had an iPhone and I live in a small town. It worked great at my house (granted I only had 2 bars and was on EDGE, but it worked). I moved 1 mile away and I couldn't use it. I had to sell my phone and go with a crap verizon phone because I can't live without a phone at my house (no land line).

It is NOT reasonable for everyone to move to use a phone and the attitude that somehow people who live in rural areas have all the money in the world to move and the job opportunities grow from trees is plain ignorant.

BTW I'm not a farmer just because I live in a small town away from a city (no disrespect to farmers, you guys rock, we love the food you provide). I'm a network admin and I used the iPhone daily for my job. My life will become more difficult without being able to VPN to work while traveling.

You're a network admin and couldn't google for a cell phone signal booster?
  • Reply 84 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

You're a network admin and couldn't google for a cell phone signal booster?

Lol... I wonder if he is speaking the truth..
  • Reply 85 of 87
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Regardless of whether this thread is more than likely dead, I would like to point to this recent news right here on AppleInsider:

Demand for memory in phones to grow, thanks to Apple

To the "short-sighted" among the posters here, and specifically BMC3000: you might want to reconsider your predictions (sic) "...smart phones won't take over for at least the next 15 years"; or some of the other poster's failure to understand why a broadband build-out nationwide is in your immediate and future interests.

PS: I actually knew of this report coming out by iSupply beforehand... and before I wrote here. I have some rather great (and deep) industry inside-info sources here in "DE-land"
  • Reply 86 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Regardless of whether this thread is more than likely dead, I would like to point to this recent news right here on AppleInsider:

Demand for memory in phones to grow, thanks to Apple

To the "short-sighted" among the posters here, and specifically BMC3000: you might want to reconsider your predictions (sic) "...smart phones won't take over for at least the next 15 years"; or some of the other poster's failure to understand why a broadband build-out nationwide is in your immediate and future interests.

PS: I actually knew of this report coming out by iSupply beforehand... and before I wrote here. I have some rather great (and deep) industry inside-info sources here in "DE-land"

I wonder if BMC3000 actually knows that smartphones ARE taking over very soon.
  • Reply 87 of 87
    ...and here's another recent Article from Macworld detailing why "smart-phones" will be the norm in a very short time, and why broadband build-out is essential:

Cheap smartphones set to boom in the pre-paid market

Posted on Aug 10, 2009 6:58 pm by Mikael Ricknäs, IDG News Service

Smartphones are set to become much cheaper as mobile phone vendors try to get data-centric devices in the hands of pre-paid subscribers.