TomTom for Apple iPhone released in U.S. App Store for $99

Comments

• Reply 41 of 129
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crossuab View Post

What happens if you get a phone call? Apple doesn't allow you to run two programs at once. Isn't that still the case? I still think the standalone device is the way to go?

This complaint has popped up at least 5 times on this thread. Clearly all by people who have never owned and iPhone. Hello!?! When you are on a call don't you ever open up Safari to google something? THE PHONE APP RUNS IN THE BACKGROUND JUST FINE PEOPLE.
  • Reply 42 of 129
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

This complaint has popped up at least 5 times on this thread. Clearly all by people who have never owned and iPhone. Hello!?! When you are on a call don't you ever open up Safari to google something? THE PHONE APP RUNS IN THE BACKGROUND JUST FINE PEOPLE.

yes, yes it does. But the running app (TomTom) will still go to the background until you hit the close button to put the phone.app into the background. So, while it may only be a brief interruption, your directions are still interrupted.

And this site says that in their testing the TomTom app does close out when you get a call but resumes when the call is closed. I guess you could then put the phone app into the background and resume the app. Maybe. Still an interruption to your directions and would require hands on interaction.
  • Reply 43 of 129
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

When the call is over, the app switches back on automatically, according to the video posted in a thread here.

I don't have the app but I thought that the phone app actually is a multi-tasking app. At least when I'm on a call I can surf the web while talking on the phone. Shouldn't you be able to relaunch Tom Tom while on a call?
  • Reply 44 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't have the app but I thought that the phone app actually is a multi-tasking app. At least when I'm on a call I can surf the web while talking on the phone. Shouldn't you be able to relaunch Tom Tom while on a call?

This is an iPhone issue more than a Tom Tom issue. When a phone call comes in, any application stops while the phone app takes the main screen. Once you take the call, you can easily resume any app while the phone call continues. What would be extremely useful is if Apple could redesign the OS to allow answering the phone without terminating the app in front. I'm sure it's been a topic of discussion at Cupertino, but they have to figure out a nice way to accomplish it.
  • Reply 45 of 129
    I have to say after reading every post here, it's almost amusing, do you same people join watch sites and bitch because a Rolex is more expensive then a Casio and then slam Rolex over their price points and say they should sell them for 50 bucks? Just curious =)
  • Reply 46 of 129
    Um, Tom Tom is certainly not Rolex, in fact Tom Toms big selling point (in the personal GPS market) against Garmin would be price not quality. In this case the Navigon program is simply better quality maps and software at a cheaper price, hell I dont even see mention if the Tom Tom app has lane assist, if it doesn't have lane assist its crap.
  • Reply 47 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

I have to say after reading every post here, it's almost amusing, do you same people join watch sites and bitch because a Rolex is more expensive then a Casio and then slam Rolex over their price points and say they should sell them for 50 bucks? Just curious =)

Why curious? It is not even close to being a relevant analogy.

Now, if you were talking about an App the would provide a 'Rolex' interface to the iPhone, some people might complain if the price of the app was the same as a Rolex watch on it's own.
  • Reply 48 of 129
    Wait 'til they put it on sale. Navigon is only a $69 app. Seems a little steep, Tom Tom, especially since there's also hardware to buy... Wonder how the GPS with turn-by-turn is on the new MyTouch at T-mobile?
  • Reply 49 of 129
    It could be worth the money, if the features are there it could be a bargain.

CoPilot is cheap for a reason. The expensive part of a GPS is the map data. Theirs is 10 years out of date. New roads are missing, updated intersections are wrong. The address database is horribly incomplete. Add the so so routing with no lane guidance, and you can understand the $35 price point.

TomTom has great routing especially with the IQ routes that take into account PREDICTED traffic and other delays based on other TomTom users speed over the same roads at simmilar times of day (including day of the week). Their maps are as up to date as you can buy, and are updated several times a year (you will probably need a subscription for the updates, just like their other devices, but this is not even an option with the copilot).

If the iphone software includes the live weather and traffic data, IQ routes, lane guidance, and is eligible for the annual map subscription, it will have more features than the $200 standalones, and be a much better solution than CoPilot. Well worth the extra $65 if you find yourself in unfamiliar territory in traffic more than a few times, or if you live or travel in an area that has seen a lot of construction since the Clinton administration.
  • Reply 50 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

The phone app can run in the background of a third party app.

Anything that required audio up until this point has been muted when a call is ongoing. Unless TomTom got some special treatment from Apple, which is possible, then the directions will not be played out until the call is ended.

Edit ----------------------

Plus you now have to take your eyes off the road and manage the phone, if that will even work in this case. Gotta be a better way to handle that, no?
  • Reply 51 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

It could be worth the money, if the features are there it could be a bargain.

CoPilot is cheap for a reason. The expensive part of a GPS is the map data. Theirs is 10 years out of date. New roads are missing, updated intersections are wrong. The address database is horribly incomplete. Add the so so routing with no lane guidance, and you can understand the $35 price point.

TomTom has great routing especially with the IQ routes that take into account PREDICTED traffic and other delays based on other TomTom users speed over the same roads at simmilar times of day (including day of the week). Their maps are as up to date as you can buy, and are updated several times a year (you will probably need a subscription for the updates, just like their other devices, but this is not even an option with the copilot).

If the iphone software includes the live weather and traffic data, IQ routes, lane guidance, and is eligible for the annual map subscription, it will have more features than the $200 standalones, and be a much better solution than CoPilot. Well worth the extra $65 if you find yourself in unfamiliar territory in traffic more than a few times, or if you live or travel in an area that has seen a lot of construction since the Clinton administration.

Another problem with the CoPilot is that instead of using the iPhone keyboard that we all know, they decided to create their own keyboard. The keys are much more difficult to hit and the keyboard is alphabetical instead of querty. It's a real pain to use.
  • Reply 52 of 129
    The Tomtom app works perfectly for me so far. I've been using it all day. When a call comes in it does interupt nav for a bit. Once the call is ended it resumes very quickly. Even missing a turn it calculates in 1/10th the time of my Tomtom OneXL. Text msgs are different. If one comes in you must "close" it and not reply. A reply will close Tomtom. However, relaunching Tomtom is very quick here too because it still has your directions and position. It's nearly instant.

One complaint I have is that once the cradle comes out you'll be using it in landscape, most people, and when you receive a call you'll have to turn your head 90deg for the caller ID that appears portrait.
  • Reply 53 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

The Tomtom app works perfectly for me so far. I've been using it all day. When a call comes in it does interupt nav for a bit. Once the call is ended it resumes very quickly. Even missing a turn it calculates in 1/10th the time of my Tomtom OneXL. Text msgs are different. If one comes in you must "close" it and not reply. A reply will close Tomtom. However, relaunching Tomtom is very quick here too because it still has your directions and position. It's nearly instant.

One complaint I have is that once the cradle comes out you'll be using it in landscape, most people, and when you receive a call you'll have to turn your head 90deg for the caller ID that appears portrait.

Good reference. When you answered the call could you send the phone app to the background and the TomTom app take it's front position again and give voice directions?

Good point on the landscape, although the cradle will handle portrait, I could see why landscape might be better though.
  • Reply 54 of 129
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Once the call is ended it resumes very quickly. Even missing a turn it calculates in 1/10th the time of my Tomtom OneXL. Text msgs are different. If one comes in you must "close" it and not reply. A reply will close Tomtom. However, relaunching Tomtom is very quick here too because it still has your directions and position. It's nearly instant.

Hey isn't texting while driving illegal and kinda dangerous anyway? But I agree the call issue is definitely annoying, even if the thing nearly instantly restores your navigation after the call. What Apple needs to do is allow certain types of applications to have access to the audio and be able to navigate while taking a call. Because the last thing we want is a person having an accident while fooling around w/ his navigating iPhone.
  • Reply 55 of 129
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drk_one View Post

Ridiculously overpriced. Between this and the not-yet released hardware, a cheaper aletrnative is to just buy a stand-alone unit; they start at about $129.00.

That's a good solution if you want to carry around multiple accessories and the multiples of related supporting equipment (chargers, stands, etc.).

Considering you get the full map data, the integration with the iPhone (right now just contacts, but I have a sneaking feeling it's just the tip of the iceburg as this is version 1) and I only have to carry around one device it's well worth it.

No more Dilbert utility belt jokes....
  • Reply 56 of 129
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Worthless. Ridiculous.

Co Pilot Live is every bit as good if not better and its $35. Get it. Forget Tom Tom, don't justify their ridiculous price gouging by paying what they ask.

Just because they are a "big" company doesn't mean they are offering what should be offered. Its too little for too much $$$. The cradle is also a SCAM and a rip off, since the iPhone GPS is more than capable of accurate, excellent turn by turn with NO "enhancement" necessary.

Boycott Tom Tom and their nonsense. Make them learn what happens when you ignore the market and try to take advantage of obsessed iPhone users.

Your post is Ridiculous.

I don't work for either company or even in the industry.

Have you read ANYTHING about these two products besides just the price? If you do you'll see definite differences between the two with the lower priced one giving you less. Promises are not shipped and I don't count promises. Too many broken in my life. Besides, that, even with the promises, there is more with TomTom than with Co Pilot.

As for the accessory. DO YOU READ ANYTHING? There is absolute functionality that is not built into the phone itself that makes it easier to use. Just because all the information is not posted on this site doesn't mean you aren't responsible for looking up into on Tom Tom's website and other websites. Read and learn first before firing off rants like this.

Talk about lazy, ignorant rants.
  • Reply 57 of 129
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

yes, yes it does. But the running app (TomTom) will still go to the background until you hit the close button to put the phone.app into the background. So, while it may only be a brief interruption, your directions are still interrupted.

And this site says that in their testing the TomTom app does close out when you get a call but resumes when the call is closed. I guess you could then put the phone app into the background and resume the app. Maybe. Still an interruption to your directions and would require hands on interaction.

Considering that you shouldn't be talking on the phone when driving, Perhaps the phone function should always be turned off when nav software is working.
  • Reply 58 of 129
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabon View Post

Your post is Ridiculous.

I don't work for either company or even in the industry.

Have you read ANYTHING about these two products besides just the price? If you do you'll see definite differences between the two with the lower priced one giving you less. Promises are not shipped and I don't count promises. Too many broken in my life. Besides, that, even with the promises, there is more with TomTom than with Co Pilot.

As for the accessory. DO YOU READ ANYTHING? There is absolute functionality that is not built into the phone itself that makes it easier to use. Just because all the information is not posted on this site doesn't mean you aren't responsible for looking up into on Tom Tom's website and other websites. Read and learn first before firing off rants like this.

Talk about lazy, ignorant rants.

Agree.

Just read this from Engadget:

"Update: Recombu took the software for a spin and seem duly impressed by their ability to navigate streets with an iPhone taped to the dash (not a joke). They say that when a call comes in, the TomTom app "turns off but restarts as soon as you finish the call." Lame. See the video overview after the break.

Update 2: TomTom says the upcoming car kit dock / windshield mount will also work with the iPod touch and third-party apps* -- it contains a faster, more accurate GPS chip than the one in the iPhone. Check a video of it after the break." http://www.engadget.com/tag/apple/

* http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=
  • Reply 59 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Considering that you shouldn't be talking on the phone when driving, Perhaps the phone function should always be turned off when nav software is working.

There are a lot of things you shouldn't be doing while driving. At least with talking on the phone, if it is hands-free it is still legal in most jurisdictions (though I am aware of studies that say it is no less dangerous than hands-on).

I think you are right. There should be an option to disable calls or send them straight to voice mail, perhaps with an audible beep that a call came in but no visual notification. This would also apply to SMS and other Push Notifications, as they require you to look down and dismiss the message. This would be akin to turning off you phone when you get in the car. I don't know many/any people that do this as a matter of course.
  • Reply 60 of 129
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Sounds like a great idea to me as well, unfortunately, most jurisdictions that have laws regarding cell phone usage while driving allow them with hands free functionality. But many people disregard that stipulation at least here in California. The iPhone has really too small of a screen to be very useful as an on dash GPS device anyway. Squinting and studying the small text is likely to be more dangerous than talking on the phone.