Apple to release Mac OS X Snow Leopard on August 28

Comments

• Reply 181 of 215
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

2: A container with numerical labeled sub compartments (inside the tub with the Mac) to hold one screw which a list is maintained which screw goes exactly back where on the operated Mac as they look the same, but can vary on length, type and size and thread type. No extra screws available either.

I make picture of each next opening surface, print it, and then put screws and parts on this picture in their respective places.
  • Reply 182 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

That's not a dilemma. Go with the 7200RPM if you care about speed. I have the WD 2.5" version in my MBP 17 and it is whisper quiet and FAST.

If you can swing the cash - I'd recommend an OCZ Vertex SSD. It's the single best improvement you can make to your Mac at this time. It speeds things up so much, it's like getting a new Mac.
  • Reply 183 of 215
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Turning the TIme Machine preferences to "on" is geeky? Look, if your hard drive fails what you are going to need is a complete, up-to-date backup. Time Machine does that and does it seamlessly, for multiple Macs, and with no user intervention required. I know some think the solution ought to be more complicated than that, but I'll be darned if I know why.

Look I think TM is fine. But if your HDD fails a clone is a really nice back up to have. It is easier to restore a new HDD from a clone and is probably more reliable; after all it is an exact mirror of your HDD. The really big benefit is that you can continue to use your machine. What if you're not sure why your Mac won't work? Booting off the clone gives you valuable troubleshooting info.

Perhaps you've had a bad experience with cloning software with Windows because SuperDuper is drop dead simple to use. Maybe not as easy to use as TM but easier than iPhoto and iMovie. Here's a pic of the dialogue box for SD.

What's so difficult about that? Hit the 'Copy Now' button and authenticate and you're done. It's not as hard as you make it out to be. The only real disadvantage is that the full version of SD is $30 where TM is free. I still find it a good value.
  • Reply 184 of 215
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

I make picture of each next opening surface, print it, and then put screws and parts on this picture in their respective places.

It also helps to be vocal when using video. It may seem that you are speaking to yourself, but it helps recall later.

Learned to use my cameras when winterizing my boat. Made it a heck of a lot easier next spring and years to follow.
  • Reply 185 of 215
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

It also helps to be vocal when using video. It may seem that you are speaking to yourself, but it helps recall later.

Learned to use my cameras when winterizing my boat. Made it a heck of a lot easier next spring and years to follow.

All that is very useful, I agree.

I happened to assemble very old model of cell phone. No specs, no manuals were available online. And the only thing, which really helped, was indeed youtube clip, having shown the very assembly process I wanted to learn.
  • Reply 186 of 215
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Look I think TM is fine. But if your HDD fails a clone is a really nice back up to have. It is easier to restore a new HDD from a clone and is probably more reliable; after all it is an exact mirror of your HDD. The really big benefit is that you can continue to use your machine. What if you're not sure why your Mac won't work? Booting off the clone gives you valuable troubleshooting info.

Perhaps you've had a bad experience with cloning software with Windows because SuperDuper is drop dead simple to use. Maybe not as easy to use as TM but easier than iPhoto and iMovie. Here's a pic of the dialogue box for SD.

What's so difficult about that? Hit the 'Copy Now' button and authenticate and you're done. It's not as hard as you make it out to be. The only real disadvantage is that the full version of SD is $30 where TM is free. I still find it a good value.

That's not so difficult for us reading this thread. But most users don't want to go to even that level effort. Hence the need for something as dead simple as time machine.

While I could easily use any software, I recently had the pleasure/displeasure of using timemachine to restore after replacing a failed hard drive. Not consulting any instructions, I put in my OS X DVD, turned on the computer, and selected restore from timemachine backup. Litterally, a few clicks later my computer was restoring to exactly how it was a mere 17 minutes prior to hard drive failure.

Cloning is nice, and I too have used Super Duper on occasion. But timemachine really is quite appealing for its shear simplicity. Nothing to download or configure. Just plug in an external drive and click a checkbox. It's certainly not the answer for everything. But because of its simplicity,m there are probably hundreds of thousands if not millions of people that have hourly backups for the first time in their lives. Backup strategies are only successful if people follow through with them. Timemachine finally makes it so simple that people actually follow through with it.. they plug in a hard drive and click a checkbox.
  • Reply 187 of 215
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

That's not so difficult for us reading this thread. But most users don't want to go to even that level effort. Hence the need for something as dead simple as time machine.

While I could easily use any software, I recently had the pleasure/displeasure of using timemachine to restore after replacing a failed hard drive. Not consulting any instructions, I put in my OS X DVD, turned on the computer, and selected restore from timemachine backup. Litterally, a few clicks later my computer was restoring to exactly how it was a mere 17 minutes prior to hard drive failure.

Cloning is nice, and I too have used Super Duper on occasion. But timemachine really is quite appealing for its shear simplicity. Nothing to download or configure. Just plug in an external drive and click a checkbox. It's certainly not the answer for everything. But because of its simplicity,m there are probably hundreds of thousands if not millions of people that have hourly backups for the first time in their lives. Backup strategies are only successful if people follow through with them. Timemachine finally makes it so simple that people actually follow through with it.. they plug in a hard drive and click a checkbox.

I'm not going to argue that TM isn't easy to use but honestly what's so hard about SD?

If you can't figure that out how do you use iPhoto or iMovie?

PS How accurate was the TM restore?
  • Reply 188 of 215
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I'm not going to argue that TM isn't easy to use but honestly what's so hard about SD?

If you can't figure that out how do you use iPhoto or iMovie?

Brushing and flossing our teeth 3 times a day isn't hard either. But people tend not to because of the admittedly minor hassle.

Time machine is the equivalent of a gadget that brushes our teeth automatically without us even realizing it.
  • Reply 189 of 215
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,056member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMat View Post

Now let's just hope the new Aperture won't take long to release....

I read a report from someone with an early copy that the current Aperture runs way faster in SL.
  • Reply 190 of 215
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Will it go on sale at store open? or one of these goofy 6pm local time things? I want to grab a copy at Apple Store first thing Friday as that will be a decent day to upgrade for me.
  • Reply 191 of 215
    Quote:

You are dead right, providing that you have prepared Time Machine properly.

My learned advice, is to use what works for you best.

Obviously, if you don't or haven't had to reinstall from a hard drive crash, the hesitation to rely on it now will send shivers through ones bones to the point it would be equally prudent to create a backup and a clone of your current drive now, as well.

Right now we have a few days to do some really good spring cleaning and backups. Friday morning is not the time to walk into your son's room, so to speak and ask him to get out of bed because you want to paint the walls.

I love Time Machine. However, years of experience dictates that never rely on one format, particlularly if your livelihood depends upon it.

I have catalogued over 2 thousand (backing up OS/program installs and data) on CD/DVDs via CDFinder. More important, I have tagged the respective currently used system/applications/data, so that in the event a catastrophic hit, I will be able to get back on board in a few hours at the most.

I personally will do a full fresh clean install/update of Snow Leopard and all my applications as well on my MacBook Pro. Luckily, I have two bootable drives from which to choose. Thus Snow Leopard install should work just like it came from a brand new Mac from the store. My other 5 Macs at home will be treated with less respect; hey, I am more of a talker than a doer.

There are already a couple of sites* on preparing for Snow Leopard. Good reading. But keep in mind, they are working on history, and not the necessarily the final release. Best visit their sites and look for updates if any, just in case. Would expect a few more before Friday, Macworld in particular.

However, Apple will certainly do the same, and if anything, their advice should be taken before listening to anecdotal bloggers' instructions. Some people you just can't trust, and I'll leave it at that.

* http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...90820140255432

* http://www.tuaw.com/2009/08/17/mac-2...-snow-leopard/
  • Reply 192 of 215
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,056member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Will it go on sale at store open? or one of these goofy 6pm local time things? I want to grab a copy at Apple Store first thing Friday as that will be a decent day to upgrade for me.

I'm the nut who has always been first in the queue for 2 days to buy it at the Palo Alto store first. This time I pre-ordered it for Friday delivery as I can't rationalize a $29 purchase with $6 worth of gasoline round trip to the store. You'd have to call the store to ask when they are planning on starting to sell it. But they may not know themselves yet. I think the free delivery guaranteed for Friday if you order today is the way to go on this one.
  • Reply 193 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I'm the nut who has always been first in the queue for 2 days to buy it at the Palo Alto store first. This time I pre-ordered it for Friday delivery as I can't rationalize a $29 purchase with $6 worth of gasoline round trip to the store. You'd have to call the store to ask when they are planning on starting to sell it. But they may not know themselves yet. I think the free delivery guaranteed for Friday if you order today is the way to go on this one.

sounds OK but you are killing my rational for doing lunch at Panda Express. LOL

For me, the gas would be about $2.50, I live close and drive a really small car...

now I am deciding if I should order now or go to the store on Fri. I am leaning twards going to the store because FEDEX usually comes to my neighborhood at 6PM
  • Reply 194 of 215
    i am uncertain about what benefits snow leopard will give me.

i have a macpro 1,1 with a radeon HD 3870 video card and four macbooks (2,1 3,1 3,1 4,1).

what should my expectations be?
  • Reply 195 of 215
    I am going to clone my iMac drive before installing SL... just in case something goes horribly wrong... I haven't had any real issues in the past but you never know... if worse comes to worse, I can restore from the cloned drive...

Probably will make sure that SL works well on it before installing on my other 2 macs... only one of my Macs has a qualifying video card for OpenCL... Two of them are 64-bit capable, but all 3 are Intel-based... there is something for each Mac in SL...

This weekend is going to be fun... all of the Snow Leopard installations but going to Crue Fest 2 as well with my fiancee... some Apple madness and the some metal madness...
  • Reply 196 of 215
    Quote:

Precisely. For everyone who asks (despairingly) "how difficult can it be..." there's another ten who will not do it, because it requires extra steps, because it requires more user knowledge and intervention than is really needed to get the task done.

I've been teaching Mac classes at my local community college's continuing eduction department for several years now, so I have first-hand experience with literally hundreds of novices -- many BTW who have been using Macs for a long time, but who will readily confess to "being lost." I will take that experience together with my own of nearly 40 years in computing to conclude that making an important task brain-dead easy is 99% of the battle. And not because the average computer user is brain-dead, but because they have limited interest in learning any more technical matters than necessary. And why should they?

In fact, this is why I became such a quick convert to the Mac, when many were thumbing their noses at the entire concept. (I recall being told in a college classroom many years ago, by a university teacher no less, that "if you make a computer easy enough for a child to use, only a child will use it.") I have always been at war with that concept. This is why I celebrate every success Apple has at making life easier, and am automatically skeptical when someone suggests as necessary a more complex method of accomplishing a task, when the easier way is the one most people want, and experience tells me is the one which will actually get it done.
  • Reply 197 of 215
    Amazon now offering Snow Leopard for $24.99, Family Pack for $43.99! If You ordered already don't worry your price will get adjusted!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AMHWP8?...D6J5R2GEKJ5E9&

• Reply 198 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

Amazon now offering Snow Leopard for $24.99, Family Pack for $43.99! If You ordered already don't worry your price will get adjusted!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AMHWP8?...D6J5R2GEKJ5E9&

I just wish AMZN was shipping tomorrow or Thursday so I could RECEIVE it friday...I need to install it this weekend as next week is gonna be a busy one, for that reason I am going to the Keystone Indianapolis Apple store Friday AM..
  • Reply 199 of 215
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Orders need to be $25 and up for free shipping. SL is $24.99 and you will be charged shipping.
  • Reply 200 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post

Orders need to be $25 and up for free shipping. SL is $24.99 and you will be charged shipping.

I bought mine with FEDEX 2-Day Shipping $8.99 total is $33.97 and willI have it Tuesday.