What Windows Features Do You Want In OS X?

Comments

• Reply 141 of 168
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>Things I have gotten used to in Windows:

General: Right-click drag files and get options. For example right click drag a file to a folder gives option to move, copy, etc. I know, we have option.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You mean Control.

If you have a two-button mouse, right-click works just like it does on Windows. (No drivers needed, even.)
  • Reply 142 of 168
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>

You mean Control.

If you have a two-button mouse, right-click works just like it does on Windows. (No drivers needed, even.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

You don't understand. In Windows, if you right-click and drag a file, when you release the click button a context menu will show up with options (copy here, move here, create shortcut here)

Pretty nifty.
  • Reply 143 of 168
    [quote]Originally posted by Whyatt Thrash:

<strong>

You don't understand. In Windows, if you right-click and drag a file, when you release the click button a context menu will show up with options (copy here, move here, create shortcut here)

Pretty nifty.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And a load of other 'options' that don't exist unless you know about this behavior, Right click drag WTF. 'Hidden' features like this are the main argument against Apple shiping multi button mice as standard.

Right click menus should only be used as a convenient way to get to features and options available by other methods.

I have used XP every working day for over 12 months (it's like Chinese water torture), and I didn't know about this, real intuative.
  • Reply 144 of 168
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Nevermind. Cut/copy/paste has been taken care of on this page...

[ 02-14-2003: Message edited by: NoahJ ]</p>
  • Reply 145 of 168
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Ok I am sure I saw this earlier in the thread but I just thought I would mention it a little more in depth.

One huge thing that bugs me about OS X (there isn't much that does) is not being able to select files in Save dialog boxes. I work for a visual effects company in Hollywood and we often have really long file names that have to be somewhat descriptive. Now replacing or referencing long file names just doesn't work in OS X, just because of the fact that you have to retype stuff out. Here is a example of situation that I encounter quite often.

-Open up After Effects

-File-&gt;Import

-Select my image sequence (ie, EnterpriseLuminence_v1_[####].tga)

-Do my tweaks in After Effects

-Go to render out the new version

This is where my big snag comes up. Instead of me being able to select the original version and just change v1 to v2, I have to retype the whole thing.

Now this is a huge issue because I deal with this a looooot. Come onf fellas...give me a little love over here.

Oh there is also one other smaller issue. I wish when I browsed through folders it would use the same view that I started with. If I started browsing in Icon View...stay that way. I know this is most likely a issue with the ds.store file but I just wish it would remember.

PS..I'm sure these might have been brought up before, but couldn't remember everthing that was posted in this thread.
  • Reply 146 of 168
    doublepost..

[ 02-15-2003: Message edited by: Whyatt Thrash ]</p>
  • Reply 147 of 168
    [quote]Originally posted by Mediaman:

<strong>

And a load of other 'options' that don't exist unless you know about this behavior, Right click drag WTF. 'Hidden' features like this are the main argument against Apple shiping multi button mice as standard.

Right click menus should only be used as a convenient way to get to features and options available by other methods.

I have used XP every working day for over 12 months (it's like Chinese water torture), and I didn't know about this, real intuative.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, did you know about command-dragging a window to keep it in the background until you tried it? ,Option-dragging a file to copy, command-option dragging a file to make a shortcut? Option-close to close all, option-minimize to minimize all?

Just because the feature's "hidden" doesn't make it unintuitive or bad behaviour.

I also like the "right-click to cancel drag" feature in Windows... Just noticed you can use the escape key for that in X. cool, guess we don't need that now...
  • Reply 148 of 168
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>XP: Built-in image viewing with next image button. The "icon preview" in OS X is way too much of a hassle to get to. I now have "Icon Preview" on on the desktop, but can get confusing as usually files with previews usually means there is a fat resource fork on it which I must kill before sending via email.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Icon preview in Mac OS X does not add to the file size - it doesn't touch the file at all.
  • Reply 149 of 168

<strong>

What's wrong about dragging the normal way and using modifier keys to choose copy, move, alias?

It's the same function, but in Mac OS X you use modifier keys which are also used in almost every app available.

Consistency!
  • Reply 150 of 168
    What I want on the Mac is a feature that windows users take for granted: being able to close a docked window withou maximizing it. Another, less important thing would be able to ctrl-click on an app in the dock, see the windows of that app, and be able to choose a close window option off a submenu, so you could, for example, in a web browser close pop-unders without bringing the annoying little window to front over the main browser windo to close it.
  • Reply 151 of 168
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The pre-release builds of Jaguar had this close menu for minimized windows. But they pulled the version of the Dock with that and other features at the last minute.

[I always seem to leave otu one critical point...]

I suspect we'll see that feature in the next major release of the OS. As far as closing windows accessed through the app's Dock icon, I think a selection using a key modifier -- probably the option key -- would be a good solution for this.

[ 02-15-2003: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 152 of 168
    [quote]Originally posted by foad:

<strong>Ok I am sure I saw this earlier in the thread but I just thought I would mention it a little more in depth.

One huge thing that bugs me about OS X (there isn't much that does) is not being able to select files in Save dialog boxes. I work for a visual effects company in Hollywood and we often have really long file names that have to be somewhat descriptive. Now replacing or referencing long file names just doesn't work in OS X, just because of the fact that you have to retype stuff out. Here is a example of situation that I encounter quite often.

-Open up After Effects

-File-&gt;Import

-Select my image sequence (ie, EnterpriseLuminence_v1_[####].tga)

-Do my tweaks in After Effects

-Go to render out the new version

This is where my big snag comes up. Instead of me being able to select the original version and just change v1 to v2, I have to retype the whole thing.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I deal with this issue a lot as well. I often take dozens of digital images on a microscope. Each files needs to be saved with the date, sample, magnification, color, etc. Retyping all of 2003-02-15-Sample-100x-Green-01.tif just to change the image # or color is a PITA.

Windows handles this much better. You click on the previous file and the name is right there in the save box.
  • Reply 153 of 168
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>

What's wrong about dragging the normal way and using modifier keys to choose copy, move, alias?

It's the same function, but in Mac OS X you use modifier keys which are also used in almost every app available.

Consistency!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe you missed that the point of having a two-button mouse is not having to use modifier keys.
  • Reply 154 of 168
    [quote]Originally posted by os10geek:

<strong>What I want on the Mac is a feature that windows users take for granted: being able to close a docked window withou maximizing it. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes! Yes dammit! Why they omitted this feature out of 10.2 is beyond me...
  • Reply 155 of 168
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    [quote]Originally posted by foamy:

<strong>I deal with this issue a lot as well. I often take dozens of digital images on a microscope. Each files needs to be saved with the date, sample, magnification, color, etc. Retyping all of 2003-02-15-Sample-100x-Green-01.tif just to change the image # or color is a PITA.

Windows handles this much better. You click on the previous file and the name is right there in the save box.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sounds like your company needs to learn what folders are for

Seriously, I hope 10.3's open/save dialog will feature auto-completion.
  • Reply 156 of 168
    jdbonjdbon Posts: 109member
    Well I'm not sure if this qualifies as a feature, but faster and smooth scrolling would be must appreciated. As I understand it this would require 2d acceleration, which is not possible in Quartz. Page loading is almost equal between Safari and WinIE, but scrolling is still very choppy and slow making the browsing experience less pleasant.
  • Reply 157 of 168

<strong>

Maybe you missed that the point of having a two-button mouse is not having to use modifier keys.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And right clicking the File menu in the Finder should show 'Always Open With', 'Close All', 'Show Inspector' and so on?
  • Reply 158 of 168
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>

And right clicking the File menu in the Finder should show 'Always Open With', 'Close All', 'Show Inspector' and so on?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, but middle-clicking with my 3-button mouse that has the middle-button set to option-click does.

I think you've gotten the different key-modifiers confused here...

The feature IS consisent since rightclicking in windows always brings up the copy/cut/paste options, which I also sorely miss in OS X. I should be able to eat a pear with one hand and quickly be able to select and copy/paste text and files with the mouse only.

This is a power-user feature. mac noobs haven't even got multi-button mice! Why should "power user" mean "harder to get at" on a mac?
  • Reply 159 of 168

<strong>

No, but middle-clicking with my 3-button mouse that has the middle-button set to option-click does. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Woah, let's bring in a THIRD way to do things!
  • Reply 160 of 168

<strong>

---&gt; It's funny that the 'right-click' thing is being mentioned here. Finally/happily there are multi-button mice on the Apple. I cannot work with a one-button mouse, it's just too awkward!