iTunes 9 with app management, LPs, more, unveiled by Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Making it easier is a big deal, because it is a huge PITA right now. This is almost exactly what I wanted. If I were to buy a song on my pc now, it would only be on my pc. If I bought it on my mac or my iphone, it would only be on my mac and iphone (my iphone syncs with my mac). Now I can have everything on all devices, that is perfect. I can also go to town ripping movies on my pc (which is much faster with more hard drive space) and add them to itunes there knowing that I can easily access and transfer the ones I want to my mbp when I need them.

You're right, I didn't mean to trivialize it so much. I don't like keeping up with purchases made on separate Macs by different people. Or on iPhone or iPods for that matter. I've been copying them around using Public folders....

This is probably the thing I'm most interested in looking at from today's news.
  • Reply 22 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juiceisloose View Post

Just downloaded iTunes 9 and when I clicked Learn More on the upgrade to 3.1 pop-up it took me to the page and the price has dropped to 4.95 from 9.95.

OK, correction. You SHOULD be able to get it for the lower price but after sign in with your Apple login it throws an error code and you cannot proceed with the upgrade.
  • Reply 23 of 121
    Quote:

The verdict against REAL pretty much nailed that coffin shut...

The verdict just reaffirmed the (stupid, sorry, shameless) state of the industry, where an independent third party can't offer that feature.

But that doesn't stop the industry and Apple from negotiating a blessed solution. (Which would almost certainly include a convenience charge for ripping/transcoding, in addition to having the result wrapped in fairplay)
  • Reply 24 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

It's a shame that it doesn't have the rumoured DVD ripping capabilities but hardly unexpected.

DVD ripping is such waste of time in my opinion, so many headaches and glitches.

Get a Roku for $99 and a Netflix account for around $13 a month.

Download 12,000 movies anytime. Cheaper than ripping/burning/converting and buying DVD's to store it all on. Even cheaper than Walmarts bargain bin.

Movies are hardly ever watched more than once anyway and ripping just eats up time, money, CPU and drive space.

If your really clever, I'm sure you'll find a way to display the video on your computer from the Roku.
  • Reply 25 of 121
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    I don't like that the Shopping Cart was removed from the Store section in the main left column. This whole "Wish List" thing buried in the profile/account drop-down without any easy access or preferences to manage it is not cool. I'll get used to it, but such an unfriendly change wasn't necessary.
  • Reply 26 of 121
    I'm looking for the iTunes plus indicator on track and album listings in iTunes 9 and not seeing it. I don't buy 128K music, but without that indicator I can't tell which is 128k and which is 256k.
  • Reply 27 of 121
    Unless it's me, the new iTunes 9 does not allow me to find games under their sub genre. So, I was trying to search for RPG's for example, but it only allows me to search for games. There's no sub heading or anything like that. If so, this would seem to make finding what you want a bit unwieldy.

Am I doing it wrong?
  • Reply 28 of 121
    I'm glad to see they've improved sharing, it's such a pain that your music is confined to only one computer or one ipod right now.
  • Reply 29 of 121
    Any idea where you buy the ringtones from?

I am not seeing them in the store...
  • Reply 30 of 121
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    Where do you go to arrange your music by artist, album, etc? In iTunes 8 there was that black bar that went across the top but I can't see were this functionality was moved to.
  • Reply 31 of 121
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    I generally support the design changes in the new version of iTunes, BUT:

1) Please put the Shopping Cart or "Wish List" back in the main left column for the Store section

2) I wish you hadn't removed the resize slider for the thumbnail view.

3) The all white background is not appealing at all; especially in a large screen environment. It makes me wish it had the same adjustable background color that iPhoto has.

4) The banner graphic you've created for their "Social Networking App Essentials" is UGLY by Apple standards - on a Microsoft clipart level.
  • Reply 32 of 121
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

The verdict just reaffirmed the (stupid, sorry, shameless) state of the industry, where an independent third party can't offer that feature.

But that doesn't stop the industry and Apple from negotiating a blessed solution. (Which would almost certainly include a convenience charge for ripping/transcoding, in addition to having the result wrapped in fairplay)

I'm hoping for some sort or miracle too, but I just don't see it as very likely. If anyone can do it, Apple can. A better solution would be actual laws legalizing the ripping of purchased content, even if it involves breaking DRM, but that is even less likely.
  • Reply 33 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

DVD ripping is such waste of time in my opinion, so many headaches and glitches.

Get a Roku for $99 and a Netflix account for around $13 a month.

Download 12,000 movies anytime. Cheaper than ripping/burning/converting and buying DVD's to store it all on. Even cheaper than Walmarts bargain bin.

Movies are hardly ever watched more than once anyway and ripping just eats up time, money, CPU and drive space.

If your really clever, I'm sure you'll find a way to display the video on your computer from the Roku.

What if you want to take your movies with you while traveling? Or if you don't live in the US?
  • Reply 34 of 121
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Improved home sharing will let users copy songs, movies and TV shows among up to five authorized computers. Users are required to have an iTunes Music Store account. The new feature will allow content to be streamed, or included in a separate library with a local copy. In addition, a separate display allows users to see content that is not in their local library.

Now this is very interesting. It is definitely a step toward a more media-centric home network. I am in no position to know for sure, but IF Apple were planning a revamped Apple TV, then this feature would be a no-brainer. I'm just sayin'
  • Reply 35 of 121
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

So we've already got two separate libraries in this house, with only one iTunes account. This just makes it easy to see what's on one and not the other? And easier to copy from one to the other?

Quote:

Making it easier is a big deal, because it is a huge PITA right now. This is almost exactly what I wanted. If I were to buy a song on my pc now, it would only be on my pc. If I bought it on my mac or my iphone, it would only be on my mac and iphone (my iphone syncs with my mac). Now I can have everything on all devices, that is perfect. I can also go to town ripping movies on my pc (which is much faster with more hard drive space) and add them to itunes there knowing that I can easily access and transfer the ones I want to my mbp when I need them.

Upon initial review, I'm not sure it really makes it all that much easier, unless I'm missing something. It appears that it's very similar to the existing library sharing with the exception that you can now click a button and have the song copied to the local library. But that assumes you know which songs you want/need to copy. I don't think it will make the comparison between libraries (what's in one but not the other) any easier. And be careful, if you click to copy the same song more than once, you'll end up with more than one copy in your local library! And it looks like the automatic syncing is only for iTS content, not CDs your rip yourself (but I don't have a CD to test that).

Still, it makes it a little easier. I was hoping from the initial information that it would show the two libraries as a single library that I could make playlists with both local and streamed songs, etc, so that I could have a central iTunes Music folder with each Mac having its own iTunes Library XML file to manage playlists, etc for that Mac.
  • Reply 36 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Upon initial review, I'm not sure it really makes it all that much easier, unless I'm missing something. It appears that it's very similar to the existing library sharing with the exception that you can now click a button and have the song copied to the local library. But that assumes you know which songs you want/need to copy. I don't think it will make the comparison between libraries (what's in one but not the other) any easier. And be careful, if you click to copy the same song more than once, you'll end up with more than one copy in your local library! And it looks like the automatic syncing is only for iTS content, not CDs your rip yourself (but I don't have a CD to test that).

Still, it makes it a little easier. I was hoping from the initial information that it would show the two libraries as a single library that I could make playlists with both local and streamed songs, etc, so that I could have a central iTunes Music folder with each Mac having its own iTunes Library XML file to manage playlists, etc for that Mac.

I guess I'll have to reserve final judgement until I have the chance to use it. The concept has a alot of potential and anything is better than nothing.
  • Reply 37 of 121
    Hm. Like the new look, and the iPhone sync tabs are considerably improved, but.. (YMMV, as these may be bugs only affecting me, or everyone born on a certain day of the week, or I could be just being an idiot =

(1) The green window button (top left of OS X windows) now only brings the mini-window up to normal size - it can't return it to that size. Clicking on it again just toggles between not-quite-fullscreen window and normal size. So shift-cmd-M is now the *only* way to enter mini-player size?

(2) No iPhone pages in the applications sync tab? According to the site, I should see an iPhone display-sized pane to the right of the (now sortable) list of apps, but I'm only seeing the list of apps. Hopefully I'm just missing a step somewhere, as iTunes arrangement of apps is something I've been longing for.

(3) The App Store pulldown of categories is missing some, including Music.

(4) Slight downgrade in the Movies sync tab - previously, files that weren't compatible (codec unsupported on the device, too large a frame size (eg 720p), or unsupported options, like pyramidal B-frames in H.264) were grayed out, whereas now, they simply get skipped over in the sync process, if selected. So you only get to find out whether a file's iDevice-compatible after attempting to sync it.
  • Reply 38 of 121
    Quote:

I just tried it to copy a song from one Mac to another. It's sweet. Now I want to know the mechanics of the file transfer.
  • Reply 39 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Darn, the Column Browser doesn't work in playlists.

Yes it does.

Select your playlist then:

View menu --> Show Column Browser

or Command+B
  • Reply 40 of 121
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

Maybe people should re-evaluate their musical choices... the bands I listen to don't put out albums with filler songs... but even this won't replace the experience of buying the cd... digital downloads are good for a la carte purchasing...

I agree about the whole albums being an album buyer myself, but the digital experience "passed" the CD experience for me a long time ago. There is a huge downside to CD's (price, storage space, dusting), that isn't made up for by any increase in quality.

The digital albums I've bought often have "liner notes" and music videos included already but I must say I hardly ever look at them and if I do it's only the one time. I'm happy the way things are now and equally happy with the new album format with only one exception.

If you've already bought the album, the new material and the new format should be an automatic free download. Having to re-buy albums that one already bought digitally, on CD, on tape, and on vinyl is rude in the extreme.