Apple refreshes iPod classic, ups capacity to 160GB

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    They should have put a camera on the new shuffle.

The smallest iPod ever just became the best spy camera ever.
  • Reply 22 of 82
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

So you preempted an attack on me first in post #2? Sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy. If you are going to be nasty to people and never admit when you?ve made a mistake you shouldn?t expect people to be too happy with you.

Dude, you've been trying to insult me all over this place because I've asked you to back up your claims. NO more time wasted from me on you.
  • Reply 23 of 82
    Thank you, Apple! I am certainly getting one, as I have a feeling this is the end of the line (sniff).

It is simply perfect to leave in the car full time (the Touch is a little too dainty for that).
  • Reply 24 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

They should have put a camera on the new shuffle.

The smallest iPod ever just became the best spy camera ever.

Camera w/o screen? That would be a first...
  • Reply 25 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Camera w/o screen? That would be a first...

No camera had a screen until about 15 years ago.
  • Reply 26 of 82
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by D.J. Adequate View Post

Count me as one happy customer. I love my older generation 160Gb, and the thought of downgrading size made me sad. Now I have an option, as my current model is getting a little bit flakey in it's old age.

Long live the iPod Classic.

yes long live the classic

i will get one soon

160g is sweet
  • Reply 27 of 82
    So I walked over to the Apple store near Union Square in San Francisco today at lunch. The Apple website said the 160GB Classic was "available now". And that's true - they are available online for purchase. At the store they told me they had no idea when they would be in stock - no one told them. That seems like very poor customer service to me.
  • Reply 28 of 82
    Long live the iPod Classic indeed.

I've got the 120gb version and this week got an iPhone 3g. Even through my car stereo there's a noticeable difference, the iPod Classic sounds much nicer than the iPhone. Playing the same 320k MP3 files by the way.

I think for people who want all their music on one device and want to plug it into a real hifi then the Classic is the best device, I'm glad they didn't get rid of it.
  • Reply 29 of 82
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

We just got an amended shuffle that works with other headphones- that's good enough for me. People spoke and Apple listened.

Actually, just to clarify, we didn't get an amended shuffle. Same shuffle, new colors. What we got was Apple begging (ok, probably an exaggeration) headphone manufacturers to make special headphones to work with their control-less shuffle. So how much is this $59 shuffle going to really cost me? Because you can be certain that these special headphones are going to cost more than the same thing without the controls. It doesn't really make the shuffle a reasonably priced option unless you can live with Apple's included headphones.

Also note, for those of you who, like me, despise the new shuffle, it appears Apple has also removed the option to purchase a 2nd gen shuffle from their online store.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Actually, just to clarify, we didn't get an amended shuffle. Same shuffle, new colors. What we got was Apple begging (ok, probably an exaggeration) headphone manufacturers to make special headphones to work with their control-less shuffle. So how much is this $59 shuffle going to really cost me? Because you can be certain that these special headphones are going to cost more than the same thing without the controls. It doesn't really make the shuffle a reasonably priced option unless you can live with Apple's included headphones.

Also note, for those of you who, like me, despise the new shuffle, it appears Apple has also removed the option to purchase a 2nd gen shuffle from their online store.

I don't think you read it all-

Quote:

while Belkin and Scosche will offer built-in headphone adapters that will allow any headphones to work with the hardware.

So any headphone will now work with this add on. Look I hate the friggin' thing too but at least Apple listened to the outcry and bad reviews of this thing. Thank god I have the 2G shuffle - the only improvement it needed at most was the sound. But its virtually perfection compared to the 3G.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    Quote:

I don't think you read it all-

So any headphone will now work with this add on. Look I hate the friggin' thing too but at least Apple listened to the outcry and bad reviews of this thing. Thank god I have the 2G shuffle - the only improvement it needed at most was the sound. But its virtually perfection compared to the 3G.

As Wiggin clearly stated it?s the SAME Shuffle except for the colours. Apple didn?t change anything with the HW as you keep trying to claim. *cough* reading comprehension *cough* An adapters that let you use any headphones have been out for months now.

? http://www.geardiary.com/2009/05/17/...d-gen-shuffle/
  • Reply 32 of 82
    tubetube Posts: 14member
    yay, Classic!

Thank you Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 82
    Quote:

As usual, I can, and in a previous post I made mention that I can?t find a 160GB 1.8? HDD. I didn?t say that it didn?t exist I did say that Apple will not be going back to the thicker Classic. I do recall saying that Apple will drop the Shuffle without controls. How is that working out for you?

Apple didn't drop the shuffle without controls and the new 160 GB drive is a single platter model, so both your posts are full of BS.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Apple didn't drop the shuffle without controls and the new 160 GB drive is a single platter model, so both your posts are full of BS.

It was Teckstud that said that Shuffle without buttons is going to fail, not me. I missed the word ‘you’, which i’ve since added but my next sentence should have been a clue to the missing pronoun.

As for the 160GB 1.8" SP HDD. I stated that I can’t find a 1.8" SP HDD larger than 120GB. If you read the thread you’ll see that it wasn’t until AFTER Apple’s iPod event today that Toshiba announced the 160GB 1.8” SP HDD.
  • Reply 35 of 82
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

And which of those links for a 1.8? 160GB HDD are for a single-platter drive that allows the ?thin? Classic to remain thin? I suppose it?s possible that Apple found a way to condense the rest of the components to maintain the same 10.5 mm thinness. I?ve looked and I can?t find it. I correctly stated that the thick Classic would not come back.

Oh...I dunno...the FIRST one maybe? The one titled "Toshiba Introduces World's Highest-Capacity, Single-Platter 1.8-Inch HDD, Enabling Next-Generation Portable Media Players"

Gee...I wonder which Next-Generation Portable Media Players they might be referring to?
  • Reply 36 of 82
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

According to Google News, introduced from Toshiba 18 minutes ago as of this posting! That seems to be a fair bit AFTER my statement was made about not being able to find a 160Gb 1.8? single-platter HDD. We expect this lack of reading comprehension from Teckstud, but not from you.

No, I just found it funny that the first google found it right after you posted that you still couldn't find any. Did you really think that nobody would increase the capacity of 1.8" single platter drives ever?
  • Reply 37 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Oh...I dunno...the FIRST one maybe? The one titled "Toshiba Introduces World's Highest-Capacity, Single-Platter 1.8-Inch HDD, Enabling Next-Generation Portable Media Players"

Gee...I wonder which Next-Generation Portable Media Players they might be referring to?

And you claim that this info was available BEFORE the Apple event today and yesterday and many weeks ago when I stated that I cannot find a 1.8? HDD larger than 120GB from any manufacturer?
  • Reply 38 of 82
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

As irrational as always...

Apple announced at the time the new shuffle came out, that there would be third party headphones.

So what did Apple change in response to "the outcry and bad reviews"?

Absolutely nothing...

Why not? Because it's the best shuffle to date, and all your whining won't change that.
  • Reply 39 of 82
    Quote:

No, I just found it funny that the first google found it right after you posted that you still couldn't find any. Did you really think that nobody would increase the capacity of 1.8" single platter drives ever?

I never said they wouldn’t, I clearly stated that I cannot find any such drive that would make the increase of the thin Classic a shoe in. It’s not typical of Apple to use 3rd-party component HW before they are introduced by the vendor. Even CPU that Apple gets from Intel before others have been introduced in some way even though they weren’t available to others to use. Are you claiming that you knew these 160GB single-platter drives existed before the event today? If so, then why didn’t you make mention of it? I have been looking for these drives periodically all year. You finding it right when it was first posted today is a coincidence as it didn’t exist earlier.
  • Reply 40 of 82
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

What are you not getting? Toshiba announced the new hard drive AFTER the Apple presentation.

Logisticaldron never stated that no one would ever increase it.

I'm sure many people who wanted a higher capacity ipod but didn't want the extra thickness will buy one now.