Apple seeds second beta of Mac OS X 10.6.2 to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has seeded its developers with a second beta release of its Mac OS X 10.6.2 update, which incorporates numerous fixes for a wide variety of issues.

People familiar with the latest build, dubbed 10C519f, said the update addresses nearly 150 "general focus areas" ranging from applications like Address Book, Photo Booth and QuickTime Player to core services including Front Row, Spaces, and Time Machine.

The update also specifically targets WWAN support for mobile data services and enhances Exchange support, MobileMe and iDisk features, as well as NTFS and WebDAV file system support.

The new beta also addresses specific issues related to the app switching in the Dock, performance and stability issues tied to graphics drivers and the OpenCL compiler, as well as patches impacting bugs in Parental Controls Preview, printing, and the software update mechanism itself.

Friday's release is the second version of Mac OS X 10.6.2 that has been exposed to Apple's third party developers, and comes hot on the heels of the previous beta released on Monday. It will eventually be released to users as the second free maintenance update for Snow Leopard.

Released just days after the launch of Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.1 addressed printer issues, updated the Adobe Flash Player plug-in, and resolved issues with the Mail application, among other fixes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    All I care about is if it fixes the USB audio issues plaguing Virtual software (screeching/popping/howling).

I had to revert to Leopard and haven't been able to upgrade because of it.
  • Reply 2 of 81
    jarmanjarman Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

performance and stability issues tied to graphics drivers

If this means better support for the GTX 285 I can't wait!
  • Reply 3 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jarman View Post

If this means better support for the GTX 285 I can't wait!

Yes, here too. My EVGA 285GTX performs like a muzzled dog (on a leash).
  • Reply 4 of 81
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Yes, here too. My EVGA 285GTX performs like a muzzled dog (on a leash).

On one of the articles over on Phoronix.com they benched marked a Mini which had a significant regression with respect to OpenGL. Apparently Apple knows about this and it is expected to be addressed.

This hasn't been an issue for me but I do wonder if these fixes will lead to even faster MBP (my machine). Actually I hope this update breaks nothing as I've grown to like SL. It is good to see an old machine get faster.

It is interesting that they are rapidly fixing LLVM up. This song with CLang seem to be Apples path forward. It is kinda of impressive that compilers as young as these are doing as well as they are.

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 81
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Stability fixes are always good. It would be nice if we had a few new features thrown in one of these maintenance releases, but maybe I'm asking for too much.
  • Reply 6 of 81
    I'll repeat my question from Monday. Did they fix (read: "bring back the old") Exposé yet?
  • Reply 7 of 81
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Pardon my ignorance, but does giving it to developers mean that they have to do something to it before it can be disseminated to users? If not, what do they do with it?
  • Reply 8 of 81
    Has Apple addressed the crashing of Adobe CS4 yet?
  • Reply 9 of 81
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkAllan View Post

I'll repeat my question from Monday. Did they fix (read: "bring back the old") Exposé yet?

Sorry, but it's not broke just because you liked the previous version better. I miss how stuff used to get arranged. But the new version has quite a bit to like. This is the future. Be flexible
  • Reply 10 of 81
    begbeg Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkAllan View Post

God I hope not, the Leopard Exposé was horrible. Unusable really. Not that Snow Leopards is perfect, but a lot better IMO.
  • Reply 11 of 81
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    In Leopard I was able to drag images from Safari directly onto the Photoshop icon in the Dock to edit it in Photoshop, in Snow Leopard that feature does not seem to work. I had to resolve to copying it to my desktop first.

Not a huge inconvenience, nevertheless it was a nice feature. I hope they bring it back in this fix.
  • Reply 12 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Stability fixes are always good. It would be nice if we had a few new features thrown in one of these maintenance releases, but maybe I'm asking for too much.

Why would you even be thinking that they would add new features to non major releases?
  • Reply 13 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrarlen View Post

Sounds like something Adobe would need to address, not Apple. I haven't had any problem with it under SL though. Have you checked the Adobe forums?
  • Reply 14 of 81
    garamondgaramond Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrarlen View Post

What crashing? CS4 performs flawlessly here. And I'm using SL.
  • Reply 15 of 81
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I continue to expect, based on the history of 10.x.2 releases, that 10.6.2 will be released in October.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

We sometimes get new drivers in the minor releases.

I wish we would get a fully-functional and polished implementation of Resolution Independence, but I fear that we must wait for 10.7.
  • Reply 16 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Pardon my ignorance, but does giving it to developers mean that they have to do something to it before it can be disseminated to users? If not, what do they do with it?

Yes.

Developers are asked to test, test and test again.

Against their own applications, of course, and testing in general.
  • Reply 17 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I continue to expect, based on the history of 10.x.2 releases, that 10.6.2 will be released in October.

We sometimes get new drivers in the minor releases.

I wish we would get a fully-functional and polished implementation of Resolution Independence, but I fear that we must wait for 10.7.

Amiga OS had that capability back in 1991. In some ways, it was a beautiful OS.
  • Reply 18 of 81
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Why would you even be thinking that they would add new features to non major releases?

Actually, in a way, Apple might add a significant feature. They note NTFS changes. NTFS writing is currently turned off by default in Snow Leopard. Turning it on is pretty much a hack and very flaky. So if Apple fixes this, it could be a new feature for us.

I really hope there are WiFi fixes, specifically the ability to temporarily change the MAC address.
  • Reply 19 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

They test it against the apps they have or are developing. They report back

to Apple any gliches or wrinkles they find and Apple adjust the OS.

When Apple says Golden..it's released to the greatest, smartest, best looking computer users in the world ....MAC USERS !
  • Reply 20 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Actually, in a way, Apple might add a significant feature. They note NTFS changes. NTFS writing is currently turned off by default in Snow Leopard. Turning it on is pretty much a hack and very flaky. So if Apple fixes this, it could be a new feature for us.

I really hope there are WiFi fixes, specifically the ability to temporarily change the MAC address.

Not a hack at all. NTFS-3G is a mature piece of software. It's also open source, and free.