RIM takes another shot at iPhone, touchscreen with Storm2

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

I love my iPhone. I mean, I really love it. But I am getting sick of it not having any competition. Apple needs to be inspired to add and develop new features- although I think the 2010 model will be the leap the 3g and 3gs were not.

But seriously- we need some competition- otherwise, Apple can just sit there, and not make it better!

I agree.

1) The Palm Pre is underrated, with less than stellar build quality. I think the fluid, multi-tasking 'card' layout really deserves more mention.

2) The Android handsets somehow haven't caught on to mainstream despite HTC rolling out a nice model almost every other day. Probably due to unappealing carrier contracts and that mostly geeks know about Android. And the processors are a bit slow.

3) The Motorola CLIQ (also Android) is a nice first try with good social integration like the Pre. It's good to see Moto back on its feet again, but it needs to improve on the hardware.

4) The Storm1 was just a POS. Disaster of an execution, like mentioned above by others. The Storm2 is too little, too late. Also it's in an awkward position. Blackberry's strongest feature is probably email, and the touchscreen keyboard kinda ignores that. If you want a touchscreen, chances are you'll get the iPhone. If you want buttons and great email, you'll get some other BlackBerry, not the Storm. Unless you're a BB diehard who also happens to be a touchscreen diehard.

5) Sony: Out of the limelight. I've probably seen one Xperia X1 to date.

5) As for Nokia, I don't know what to say at this point. Look out for the N900? Looks promising.

The iPhone has made some major improvements (and impressive gains in market share) in a pretty short time. But it's just not fun to watch the iPhone leave everyone else in the dust. Apple's clearly not resting on its laurels, but it would be even quicker on its feet if competition was closing in.
  • Reply 42 of 95
    dylerdyler Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

The iPhone killer has finally arrived!

Clicking the display on the Storm2 is practically effortless. OMG... how cool is that? Hands downs this is the best mobile device ever conceived. I read someplace that this phone synthesizes oxygen to charge its battery. Kewl!!!!!

Yep yet another supposed iPhone Killer. This will never happen!!
  • Reply 43 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I rest my case

You can watch movies. It plays most properly-formatted mp4's and wmv's. It uses a similar format to the iPhone.

You can also play games, listen to music, and run multiple applications at the same time.

The iPhone is better, but the Storm has a few things going for it. Notably: it runs on Verizon, can connect to the BES for enterprises, and is an open platform. I can run leaked OS's on my phone and install any software I want. Nobody controls what I put on my device.
  • Reply 44 of 95
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    I find it sad really, that RIM is still trying to catch up to the very first iPhone that was released by apple. This is what happens when you're stuck in a perpetual world run by windows technology and mentality.
  • Reply 45 of 95
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Dude... the screen clicks when you touch it. How cool is that? The last time I heard clicking this cool was during The Gods Must Be Crazy.

Well I used to like the clicking on my 2gen iPod.
  • Reply 46 of 95
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

My wife has the original storm so I can speak from experience. I can't believe this product ever made it past QA. The "Clickable" screen is the worst idea ever.

They made an important change in this version; it now has the pressure sensors and springs at the corners rather than the center.

Also, Apple uses the same concept on the MB/MBP trackpads. It isn't for me, but it does give tactile feedback.

I'm in the camp that viable competition will help end exclusivity, so I'm all for a strong competitor. RIM's big failure from my perspective is that the Blackberry service is independent of the SIM card: you can have an unlocked phone, but your SIM also has to have a BB plan to work. It isn't good enough to just use data.

Right now, if you need an unlocked phone, that puts Nokia, Android, and WinMo far ahead of both Apple and RIM.
  • Reply 47 of 95
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Research In Motion Thursday officially introduced the BlackBerry Storm2, the company's latest salvo in its fight for smartphone supremacy with Apple's iPhone.

The successor to the original Storm, the company's first foray into the touchscreen market, features several key updates to its predecessor. The official specs highlight the Storm2's new "SurePress" technology, which replaces the mechanical clickscreen of the Storm with an electronic system for tactile feedback. The new technology also allows for easier typing by enabling the user to be pressing two keys at once, which opens up the possibility for multi-key actions such as Shift or Alt - key combinations.

Features according to RIM include:

Capacitive touch-screen with integrated functions (Send, End, Menu, Escape) and new SurePress technology that makes clicking the display practically effortless

2 GB of onboard memory storage and a microSD/SDHD memory card slot that supports up to 16 GB cards today and up to 32 GB cards when available

Built-in GPS for maps and other location-based applications as well as photo geotagging

Removable, rechargeable 1400 mAhr battery that provides approximately 6 hours of talk time on 3G networks and 280 hours of standby time

The Storm2 also now includes Wi-Fi, and displays a full QWERTY keyboard when held in portrait mode, both features that the original Storm lacked. So far, the only announced carrier is Vodaphone, which will sell the Storm2 in time for Christmas in seven European countries, as well as South Africa. Customers in the UK and Ireland will be able to get the Storm2 first through Vodafone, and it will be offered exclusively by Vodafone in Germany, Netherlands, and Spain. It will also be available in France and Italy.

It is not known when the phone will be available in the United States.* But Reuters reported that analysts expect Verizon to announce shortly in time for the holiday buying season.

RIM executive Jim Balsillie reportedly said that the Storm 2 will be a crucial factor in keeping and maintaining RIM's growth in the consumer market.

"Obviously, we want to maintain and extend our leadership, there's no question," Balsillie said.

• Reply 48 of 95
    Quote:

Dude... the screen clicks when you touch it. How cool is that? The last time I heard clicking this cool was during The Gods Must Be Crazy.

ROTFLMAO! (Before or after the Coke bottle hit?)
  • Reply 49 of 95
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Also, Apple uses the same concept on the MB/MBP trackpads. It isn't for me, but it does give tactile feedback.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the trackpad's 'push to click' mode. (And I never liked the button on the old trackpads either.) Fortunately, they work quite well in touch mode.

BTW, the Apple store is down at the moment... And back up, no new Macs.
  • Reply 50 of 95
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Has anyone else noticed how "removable battery" has somehow become a "feature"?

btw it's Vodafone not Vodaphone.

There is nowhere near the hype RIM tried to generate with the Storm last year, working in a phone store, the Storm is one of the worst phone's I've ever seen for customer issues.
  • Reply 51 of 95
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

I understand what you're saying and I agree. But, what more improvements can you add to the iphone. Maybe a sleek slideout keyboard? The problem is the phone is so good you're hard pressed to make it better.

As a side note, I've gone through a different phone every year for the past 5 years. Since I purchased the iphone, I have no plans on buying another phone. It would have to break first. The iphone is that good

Here's some things I would welcome:

-- Some kind of improved notification system, be it via an alternate home screen, less intrusive on screen pop-ups, or combinations thereof. Actually my preference would be for an info laden alternative home screen.

-- Whatever level of additional multitasking that can be achieved without unduly affecting performance or battery life. May have to wait on next gen hardware.

-- Implementation of something like the "Expose" concept that's floating around the net (or something better that we haven't thought of) for managing access to lots and lots of apps.

--HD video with image stabilization.

--HD video out

--OLED screen, assuming the tech is there to make the upsides outweigh whatever negatives are still present.
  • Reply 52 of 95
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

I love my iPhone. I mean, I really love it. But I am getting sick of it not having any competition. Apple needs to be inspired to add and develop new features- although I think the 2010 model will be the leap the 3g and 3gs were not.

But seriously- we need some competition- otherwise, Apple can just sit there, and not make it better!

C'mon! You got copy & paste, what more could you ask for???

• Reply 53 of 95
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    The iPhone is one of the few modern items that I did not have to read the manual to use most of its functions. Let me see... my old Windows Mobile was pain to run and had to read the big manual. Same for the old Qualcomm phone. The Sony VCR/DVD is another one that is difficult to set up without the manual and the clock still flashes. The Toyota GPS is hard to use too... I read the manual before each long trip but I forget it soon. The Android is also hard to use.

May be thing blackberry will be different.
  • Reply 54 of 95
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

In my part of the world (Canada), Blackberries are by far the most popular smartphone other than the iPhone, and the iPhone is a fairly recent (this year) development.

I'm not sure what part of Canada you're in, but in my circle of friends and coworkers, only two own a Blackberry (both because their work pays for it). Everyone else I know either owns an iPhone or owns neither phone but wishes they could afford an iPhone (the monthly service plan cost is too high).

Most of the time it's simply archaic business infrastructure which forces people to own Blackberries, not actual personal choice. One of the BB users owns both a BB and an iPhone and agrees that the iPhone is much better for entertainment and personal needs. He does like the keyboard on the BB though, but then having a keyboard means less screen for videos/web browsing/etc, so there's tradeoffs.

So yeah, a BB without a keyboard (Storm) is the worst of both worlds: still a crappy browsing experience, no videos, and more difficult typing for people who prefer having physical keys.
  • Reply 55 of 95
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dyler View Post

They want to maintain and grow their leadership? What leadership, they make crappy phones for people who don't understand that the iPhone is now the best device for consumers and business users. RIM does not have leadership anymore and Apple has taken the leadership role in the smartphone world thats why everyone is trying to catch up with them. RIM is now a laggard and they are about three years behind Apple, how is this leadership?

Three years ahead? That's exaggerating. Also, the iPhone won't be all it can be until Apple/ATT get their collective acts together and provide a tethered modem capability for laptops. Yes, there really are some functions that require a connected laptop.
  • Reply 56 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ortal View Post

runs on Verizon (eventually)... WIN.

you guys need to understand that even a die-hard apple fan like myself needs to have other options until this whole exclusive ATT deal is over. I love my storm.

heh, 'apple fan' and 'understand' in the same sentence.
  • Reply 57 of 95
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I'm not sure what part of Canada you're in, but in my circle of friends and coworkers, only two own a Blackberry (both because their work pays for it). Everyone else I know either owns an iPhone or owns neither phone but wishes they could afford an iPhone (the monthly service plan cost is too high)....

I'm on the West Coast so that's probably the difference right there. Just like in the USA, the East coast is more business oriented and the West Coast more "hip" I suppose.

I work at a University so I get to see a lot of the latest tech stuff but I also get to see thousands of young "upper-middle" class youth on a daily basis. I ride the train with these kids every day and that's what I see them using (Blackberries). This year, the iPhone is the new cool handset of choice, but they are expensive as you say, and very hard to find. Some people waited for months and months to get the new one. I did too, but I eventually gave up waiting and will get next year's iPhone now. Blackberries are definitely on the wane now in terms of popularity among this group.

I mainly wanted to make the point that people always say business, business, business, when talking about Blackberries, but they are much more than that. Almost every young woman I see on the train (up until this year), is texting with a Blackberry and *none* of them are "business types" or got their phone through work.

One of the few things you absolutely can't do on an iPhone, is type with long fingernails. Perhaps that has something to do with it.
  • Reply 58 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I'm not sure what part of Canada you're in, but in my circle of friends and coworkers, only two own a Blackberry (both because their work pays for it). Everyone else I know either owns an iPhone or owns neither phone but wishes they could afford an iPhone (the monthly service plan cost is too high).

Most of the time it's simply archaic business infrastructure which forces people to own Blackberries, not actual personal choice. One of the BB users owns both a BB and an iPhone and agrees that the iPhone is much better for entertainment and personal needs. He does like the keyboard on the BB though, but then having a keyboard means less screen for videos/web browsing/etc, so there's tradeoffs.

So yeah, a BB without a keyboard (Storm) is the worst of both worlds: still a crappy browsing experience, no videos, and more difficult typing for people who prefer having physical keys.

Dunno - I ride the GO train in TO every day and I'd say at least half the riders have BlackBerries and are using them all the time. To be honest (and I have looked) I'd say I see 1 iPhone for every 50 Blackberries on those trains. Now perhaps that is because most of the people with iPhones do not have them out and are not using them for things like email etc...IE maybe the Blackberries are just more visible?
  • Reply 59 of 95
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

I hear you on loving the iPhone but I am puzzled, when has Apple (since the return of SJ) ever 'sat there'. Apple creates paradigm shifts all the time without a trace of competition. If not can you imagine what kind of phone would today be considered 'smart' or what computer user interfaces would be like?
  • Reply 60 of 95
    The problem I see is...they've already sold the Storm and it was a MAJOR bust. NOW they want to make a Storm2?

SO Umm, how is this good business? They would be better off with a slight redesign and a NEW NAME! It's like Wal-Mart building "upscale" stores but they still call 'em Wal-Mart! Do they not realize that a lot of decision making is psychosomatic. When people hear Storm they hear Crap, when they hear Storm2 they hear CrapAgain, and when they hear Wal-Mart they hear Hillbilly, no matter how nice your floors are. This isn't rocket science.

When I buy a product that sucks I don't wait for it to get better, I find a better product. In this case I'd find better hardware and a better UI elsewhere.