Apple profits surge 46% on record sales of 3M Macs, 7.4M iPhones

Comments

• Reply 41 of 100
    can't wait to see how my calls are lookin' tomorrow!!
  • Reply 42 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Another reason for why iPhone sales are not quite as high as some would like.

I just this moment heard Cook, or Oppenheimer say, in response to a question, that while the 3G is being shipped in 80 countries, the new 3GS is still being shipped in only 64 countries.

That will lead to lower sales than otherwise. By the end of the calender year, they should be shipped in all 80.

Plus, they aren't selling in China yet.
  • Reply 43 of 100
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

It's reasonable to interpret that as very likely meaning; no new products in the calendar year of 2009.

Which would be a real downer, speaking as a consumer. In the meantime, I'll cling to SJ's, "See you all again soon," closing at the iPod media event to support my hopes for something new before the calendar year end.
  • Reply 44 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We are thrilled to have sold more Macs and iPhones than in any previous quarter," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "We've got a very strong lineup for the holiday season and some really great new products in the pipeline for 2010."

Does this mean we have to wait until January for the new iMacs?
  • Reply 45 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

I don't know. Apple doesn't like to be specific about timing.

If they have these rumored new revisions that are "supposed" to be coming out in October or November, then he wouldn't want to say anything so as not to stop sales of current products.
  • Reply 46 of 100
    I hate to be pessimistic about this, but it's possible Steve really did mean no new products in calendar 2009. After all, AI's own rumours regarding the new iMac say it's dual core. In order to put a new dual core chip into the iMac Apple will have to wait for Arrandale a chip that won't be shipping in volume until 2010.

Then again tomorrow is Tuesday, Apple's favorite day to introduce new stuff, and later this week a certain other OS developer is planning a release so there's still a small window of opportunity to hit stores this month.

Even if we get new iMacs in the next week, I don't expect it to be much faster than the model that came out in 2008, I don't expect getting to the hard drive will be any easier, I don't expect any reduction in the amount of glare and I'm scared that LED backlighting will be accompanied by a switch to TN panels. Should that happen I will be permanently out of the market for the iMac.
  • Reply 47 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I hate to be pessimistic about this, but it's possible Steve really did mean no new products in calendar 2009. After all, AI's own rumours regarding the new iMac say it's dual core. In order to put a new dual core chip into the iMac Apple will have to wait for Arrandale a chip that won't be shipping in volume until 2010.

Then again tomorrow is Tuesday, Apple's favorite day to introduce new stuff, and later this week a certain other OS developer is planning a release so there's still a small window of opportunity to hit stores this month.

Even if we get new iMacs in the next week, I don't expect it to be much faster than the model that came out in 2008, I don't expect getting to the hard drive will be any easier, I don't expect any reduction in the amount of glare and I'm scared that LED backlighting will be accompanied by a switch to TN panels. Should that happen I will be permanently out of the market for the iMac.

What do LEDs have to do with the panel?
  • Reply 48 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

C'mon Steve, buddy ol' pal??!! Do tell! What's in that pipeline?!

That's easy: a LOT more pain for Microsoft and Verizon!

As for any telling, I can wait for things to be ready. I'd rather have a Jobs-style "Available today at the Apple Store" versus a Ballmer-style "This is what we really wish we had, and we hope to have it available in a few years".
  • Reply 49 of 100
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

The way I interpret the statements is that they have new products in the pipeline for the holiday season for one. Second they seem to be implying some interesting sales for the holiday quarters especially for the iPods.

What those new products are is a guess but a refreshed iMac needs to be on Apples list. Notebooks are getting 74% of sales because the iMac is a terrible value for most consumers. That needs to be fixed and they need to broaden the lineup to include a real desktop computer. Basically this conference call confirms that Apples desktop line up SUCKs.

Happily it reinforces my perspective that Apple has some of the best laptops on the market. It is no surprise that educational sales are so high, I really don't know of a better value for the student when it comes to laptops.

Dave
  • Reply 50 of 100
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I was hoping for 3 million in Mac sales, but this is awesome that it is true.

Armchair CEO says: If Apple provided the camera in the iPod Touch then those numbers more than likely would have been up a bit more.
  • Reply 51 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Armchair CEO says: If Apple provided the camera in the iPod Touch then those numbers more than likely would have been up a bit more.

iFrame video: Coming soon (January) to an iPod Touch near you...

• Reply 52 of 100
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Any guesses on what's fueling the increase in mac sales?

Don't underestimate "word of mouth" advertisement. One thing that Apple has going for it .... that almost no other computer company has .. is customer satisfaction "after the sale is made". That means that the customer base is like a snowball rolling downhill because, almost without exception, all of those satisfied user's are acting like sales people for Apple, and as the customer base grows ... your "sales force" just gets bigger and bigger. Of course the competition is just the opposite ... negative user experience equals smaller "sales force". .... OS Intro Parties ... we don't need no stinkin' OS Intro Parties!
  • Reply 53 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

?? Don't you READ the AppleInsider rather than post?

Ouch!!! That hurts, but considering the two posters involved ..... funnier than hell.
  • Reply 54 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

Hhmmm. Predicts EPS for the Christmas quarter to be *lower* than the one just past. Really? REALLY ???

Oh wait, maybe he's adjusting for the huge Win 7 uptake <sarcasm/>

He explained in the Q&A following broadcast .. due to increased customer value on some future and current product .... I smell iTablet and price cuts. Bring it on, baby.
  • Reply 55 of 100
    Quote:

Q: iPhone supply issues due simply to supply and demand or also component constraints? More air freight costs?

A: Demand outstripped supply, so that was the primary driver. That's a nice problem to have. But because of that, it did create some component shortages. Silicon is usually hardest to come by, but we were able to solve the bulk of these issues. Air freight issues not necessarily due to iPhone, but due to rushing products for holiday seasonality. Can't be specific about the products driving the increased cost this year though.

This is from another site but is the most interesting thing I've read so far. That is a pretty solid indicator that we are getting new stuff this year before Christmas. What that new stuff is I don't know but an iMac replacement has to be high on the list. A tablet seems to be out of the question right now, but maybe. An updated Mini would be nice to, but a bump would do just find there.

More interesting would be new devices! I don't want to start another XMac rant but this is a good possibility. A couple of other ideas would be a media server, an Apple TV that is a TV, or a vastly improved Apple TV itself. A new model iPhone would be nice too, but it is obvious that Apple is having trouble here. New displays would ROCK also. I'm having trouble imagining what else could be coming from Apple. In any event everyone feel free to guess along.

dave
  • Reply 56 of 100
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The Koolaid is tasting pretty good these days isn't it, my fellow fanboys? This is truly a sad day for the Apple haters on this forum. And you know who you are.
  • Reply 57 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Any guesses on what's fueling the increase in mac sales?

iPhone growth is a little disappointing. Smartphones, and especially the iPhone, have grown accustomed to large double digit growth figures. Perhaps it's a wider industry trend though.

indeed. this took me a little by surprise. 3GS is still reasonably fresh as well. Time to add new carriers me thinks.
  • Reply 58 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I'm very mixed on the camera, mostly due to the fact that no cell phone camera even matches the quality I go from film in the eighties. However a good GPS implementation with a far better camera with an intelligent camera app would be fantastic. The camera on my iPhone sucks, much of that due to little control over the camera app and exposure. Give the Touch a good camera that the user can control, with GPS integration and Apple might have something that would really drive sales.

What everyone is missing though is that combined iPhone and iPod sales where flat. That is not bad considering that it is obvious they bobbled something with the new Touch. Their lack of innovation with the iPod line up is costing them dearly in my mind. It is not that the market is saturated it is just that people have not been impressed with the line up. Lets face it the only thing that got any sort of a push forward was the nano. Sadly a lot of people didn't like what Apple delivered on that.

Dave
  • Reply 59 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I agree.

It's funny how the media loves to jump all over Apple when they make a mistake, but this really quite dramatic shortage problem they have been having has been almost swept under the rug. It is at best, under-reported.

Apple did a kind of dastardly thing here. They made sure that the USA had stock of the 3Gs and a few other places, and then screwed over everyone else royally. I find it ironic and dumb that almost no US coverage has been given to this huge failure on Apple's part, just because Apple made sure that the US reviewers and customers all got their phones?!

Are analysts really that dumb? Apple also wins awards for their supply chain handling fairly regularly, so it's a great little story that they have screwed up so bad on the 3Gs.

The US based tech analysts should lift up there heads once in a while and look at the rest of the world. There has been close to zero stock of the iPhone 3Gs in Canada, Australia, and a lot of other countries all year long. I, and a lot of people who were champing at the bit to get one in August, have already given up and are waiting for the next model (and for Apple's supply chain issues to sort themselves out).

There must have been an absolutely huge number of lost sales world-wide due to these shortages and other supply chain screwups.

Don't forget that we are in an economic meltdown, the likes of which we have never seen before in our lifetime, perhaps not ever, so for Apple to ramp up production on hope alone would be irresponsible. If you look at the steps Apple took to protect themselves, building up a huge war chest of $$$, ... prepaying for a tremendous amount of ram, etc .... I think you have to conclude they have done pretty damn good , all things considered. Of course if you are dedicated to finding the cloud behind every silver lining then you will no doubt find something to bitch about!
  • Reply 60 of 100
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Am I the only one who makes a distinction between "new products in the pipeline" and "refreshed existing products"?

When Steve talks about great new products in the pipeline, I don't think he's talking about speed bumped Minis. I don't see that his remarks rule out refreshed iMacs, Minis, Apple TVs or Pros before the holiday buying season.