First Look: Apple's 27" big screen iMac

Comments

• Reply 141 of 244
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

As one of the matte fans, it's not a matter of a little whining.

I have sensitive eyes & glare causes severe strain. IT HURTS to use a glossy display!!!

For what Apple charges for their products, there's no reason they can't spend an extra buck on non-reflective glass (it's available if they bothered).

When my matte iMac dies, it looks like Apple is giving me three options: Go used, go Dell, or go Amish.

Too bad one can't be Apple.

You are so full of shit. How did you survive the past 50 years with a glass CRT based TV? How about the past 20 or so years using a CRT monitor? Those are all made of glass. Apple doesn't need to bother...because the MILLIONS of people that are buying Macs don't have any complaints. The people that don't own a Mac with a glass screen are the ones making up the bullshit complaints. So I guess you are unable to drive a car with all those glass windows everywhere. Go buy a Dell. They use glossy screens too. PC's went glossy before Apple did, specifically on all their laptops. Go Amish? How dumb are you?
  • Reply 142 of 244
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Buy an external BluRay and shut the fuck up. A slot load BluRay is $999, no one wants that price increase for a drive no one will use for backups or watching movies on a 27" screen.

While I agree with your statement, in all fairness the $1,000 drive I believe you are referring to is the 12.7mm slim-line, slot-laoding Blu-ray burner from FastMac. That has been the price since they started carrying those drives and do not reflect the cost of those style drives currently.

The Panasonic UJ-135 Blu-ray drive (reader only) is only $200. While the newer, writer version of that drive, the UJ-235, is listed as $370 and up on Google Shopping. The only caveat that may make an internal option tricky is that iMacs have had PATA instead of SATA for years now. I?m not sure if that is the case with these new iMacs.

Still, Apple?s decision to make thin machines means that any adoption of Blu-ray as a BTO option will still be met with whining and crying when they say that Dell and HP offer Blu-ray for half the price as Apple. Too many things are keeping Blu-ray from winning in PCs the way CDs and DVDs did, but it?s the best so Apple is somehow required to support it in their eyes regardless if it?s good for business or not.
  • Reply 143 of 244
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think they intended it for plugging your Mac laptop in to and nothing else. You have an iMac at home, a Macbook on the road, and when you get home you can plug the Macbook in to the iMac's screen, simple as that.

The only machine Apple makes that considers non-Apple hardware is the Mac Mini which is for switchers and designed to work with a PC keyboard, mouse and monitor. And even the latest Mac Mini, refreshed at the same time as these iMacs, still does have DVI.

The only Mac with video in is the 27" one, so no, the mini DP is on all the Macs is for plugging in an external monitor
  • Reply 144 of 244
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They did use it!!! When referring to DisplayPort in general it refers to the whole spec, not the port interface, unless specified. Mini-DisplayPort singling and capabilities are the EXACT same as DisplayPort port interface. Having a variance in the port size is not uncommon. Look at USB of DVI.

No they didn't, they redesigned the plug to be smaller, while it may be the same spec it is a different port than DP, so to plug a NEW mac into a DP monitor you need an adapter, to plug it into a DVI monitor you need an adapter, to plug it into a HDMI TV you need an adapter. You cannot purchase a mini DP monitor (well except for that Apple thing that you can only plug into a Mac). And those adapters are not cheap if you live outside the US.

Quote:

Not a big deal, especially when you consider that the gains from using the smaller port option out of the gate and the capabilities of the spec makes the longterm use of DP very likely. More so than any other display output technology and port interface that Apple has ever used across the board.

Yes, they may have a reason for the smaller port on the Macbook/Macbook pro's, but on the desktops? It is just more cost for no reason.

Quote:

Every Mac has the EXACT same connector. Every Mac can push a 30” display. No need to have DL-DVI for the larger Macs with more powerful GPUs, Mini-DVI for Macs with weaker GPUs that can’t push dual-link displays or Micro-DVI for the MBA because Mini-DVI was too large for the design. For once Apple has the exact same connector for all Macs in the best option available for PCs, and one that has been widely adopted across PC vendors and you are crying because Apple’s ahead of the curve on a port interface option and aren’t willing to spend $5 on an adapter?

No, not every Mac has the same connector, not every Mac can push a 30" display, well not unless Apple hasn't made it to my place yet to retro fit the socket to my Macs.

The PC vendors are using DP, not mini DP that Apple uses, you have to purchase the adapter from Apple, at a high price... Where do I get Mini DP to DP cables? Where do I get mini DP to HDMI that carries audio with it?

heck Dell gives you DP to DVI adapters free with your computer.

EDIT: I see you can get a mini DP to DP adapter at monoprice for US$4.50, pity you can't use monoprice from overseas, the next best option I could find was A$90
  • Reply 145 of 244
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I just had a quick look round the Canadian iTunes store, and believe me, you guys have a LOT more HD content than we do in the UK. Plus you get stuff when it's actually new, and for reasonable prices.

To get an idea of what it's like on a good day in the UK, take a show like House, Season 6. The Canadian price for the HD season pass is CA$70. In the UK, we pay CA$87 for the same HD pass. That's a best case example.

A more typical example would be Mad Men Season 3. The Canadian HD season pass is CA$40 , but in the UK the show has yet to appear, and won't do for at least 6 months. Based on past seasons of Mad Men it will be in SD only, and cost CA$40. Yep, the same price for 6 month old content in SD.

You guys may not have quite the selection they do in the US, but you're still way ahead of the way Apple screw us UK customers.

I meant HD movies. I haven't really seen any in our store. Unless I wasn't looking in the right places . . .
  • Reply 146 of 244
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I've arrived - at your service, MASTER! lol Happy Halloween

did you go outside during your vacation?
  • Reply 147 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

not to mention you can attach a bluray external drive to it.

Btw I am very pro piracy in some respects: if you buy a blue Ray disc for your living room player why instead of ripping it yourself to some h.264 codec shouldn't you be able to download somebody elses rip over the net. You own the disc in the first place.

i am so stupid o never knew this until a few months a go

it is 100 percent ok and legal to change the format of a product you own

i am converting over 200 movies right now for mac play and ipod 160g play

QUESTION FOR THE BOARD

if i rent a netflix movie

is ripping it ok ??
  • Reply 148 of 244
    Quote:

While I agree with your statement, in all fairness the $1,000 drive I believe you are referring to is the 12.7mm slim-line, slot-laoding Blu-ray burner from FastMac. That has been the price since they started carrying those drives and do not reflect the cost of those style drives currently.

The Panasonic UJ-135 Blu-ray drive (reader only) is only $200. While the newer, writer version of that drive, the UJ-235, is listed as $370 and up on Google Shopping. The only caveat that may make an internal option tricky is that iMacs have had PATA instead of SATA for years now. I?m not sure if that is the case with these new iMacs.

Still, Apple?s decision to make thin machines means that any adoption of Blu-ray as a BTO option will still be met with whining and crying when they say that Dell and HP offer Blu-ray for half the price as Apple. Too many things are keeping Blu-ray from winning in PCs the way CDs and DVDs did, but it?s the best so Apple is somehow required to support it in their eyes regardless if it?s good for business or not.

Sometimes it is simple as apple sells movies on itunes , This why there will never be a blu ray drive on an apple machine NEVER .

Apple is betting on a disc-less world .

Blu ray must come down in price .The world wide race to the bottom in all things media will force blu rays hand. $5 dollar dvd's are showing up at best best already .
  • Reply 149 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

No they didn't, they redesigned the plug to be smaller, while it may be the same spec it is a different port than DP, so to plug a NEW mac into a DP monitor you need an adapter, to plug it into a DVI monitor you need an adapter, to plug it into a HDMI TV you need an adapter. You cannot purchase a mini DP monitor (well except for that Apple thing that you can only plug into a Mac). And those adapters are not cheap if you live outside the US.

Yes, they may have a reason for the smaller port on the Macbook/Macbook pro's, but on the desktops? It is just more cost for no reason.

No, not every Mac has the same connector, not every Mac can push a 30" display, well not unless Apple hasn't made it to my place yet to retro fit the socket to my Macs.

The PC vendors are using DP, not mini DP that Apple uses, you have to purchase the adapter from Apple, at a high price... Where do I get Mini DP to DP cables? Where do I get mini DP to HDMI that carries audio with it?

heck Dell gives you DP to DVI adapters free with your computer.

EDIT: I see you can get a mini DP to DP adapter at monoprice for US$4.50, pity you can't use monoprice from overseas, the next best option I could find was A$90

then buy one from dell

or go to local geek store and bring all extra cables and cards and stuff and trade for it

or do to ebay

or your local craig list

or your local << we love dell geek club <<

if this does not work then email teckserve in nyc and buy a used one
  • Reply 150 of 244
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    No HD source? Well, besides the video input port and downloads... There's also HDTV. USB and network based tv tuners will look great on this iMac.
  • Reply 151 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I'm not going to render a judgment on glossy vs matte, but I'm going to assume that the lighting environment in an Apple Store would not necessarily reflect (excuse the pun) the lighting environment in a home or even in most offices. Is that a fair assumption.

Well in my living room I have two ceiling lights with 3x100 Watt plus 1x40 Watt neon light on the wall. Eight windows are along 3 of the 4 walls and they provide quite a lot of light even at night. The question is not if the home is the same as Apple store, because it is not, but how many light sources there are. One or two can be blocked by moving the screen up/down - left/right, but more than those will always show and reflect. I do not want to watch a movie in a completely dark room without the lights all the times.
  • Reply 152 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

This iMac should finally shut people up about the iMac not being "pro" enough or ignoring the pro market (Note I said "Should" - we can only hope people will be reasonable but I don't count on it)

My mom had the original white Intel iMac and while it would normally be more then adequate, she is starting to get more in to Aperture with her digital photography and sadly that box just doesn't have the umph to keep up even with basic use. We visited a local Apple store to check out the new 27" and were simply blown away. The new screen is absolutely GORGEOUS and I am very jealous - I wish Apple would hurry up and update the 30" or make that 27" panel available in a stand-alone display.

Needless to say, I helped her back her system up, we erased it and sold it Since the i7 upgrade is pretty reasonable, even though it's probably overkill we still picked it - it's not like you can add it later and I've never regretted oversizing a system It's on order and will hopefully be shipped closer to the beginning of November rather then the end. She's getting by with her MacBook for now.

This machine, even when fully tricked out, is an incredible value. I still wish Apple would make the video modular so you can upgrade it, but with the CPU choices and the ability to go to 16 gigs of RAM it just got that much harder to justify getting a Mac Pro. I still love mine, but this iMac would have been very hard to pass up, especially with the awesome display. If you are a student or living in a small apartment, the ability to feed in whatever video signal you want for a display is huge - one minute it's a computer, the next it's a TV - awesome feature and long overdue for the iMac's.

If i were to bet nit-picky, my final two complaints are the aforementioned video not being upgradeable, and for storage an eSATA port would be a real boon - esp. if it supported port multiplication. Then you really wouldn't need a Pro for all but those that require additional expansion cards. I also wish they would have offered matte as an option. Not that I want it, but just to shut up the inevitable whining that will now plague this thread and others for what is otherwise an incredible machine.

$100 cheaper then the 30" display - wow....

Hardly. There is only one friewire port which is going to make it tricky to use for most musicians. As there are no pci or whatever expansion there is no possibility to use more than one firewire interface (most don't share nicely). Same with the new mbp, so i keep my old one just as it has two fw ports and express card. would be happy to upgrade but not when the only possibilities for more than one fw port are the gargantuan mac pro or the impractical 17" mbp. talk abut lack of choice.

I am not sure how serious the whole glossy screen issue is, but it seems bizarre that there is no option for matte?

o.
  • Reply 153 of 244
    Quote:

I meant HD movies. I haven't really seen any in our store. Unless I wasn't looking in the right places . . .

i was sick for a long time

while i was out

i understand the HD dvd format completely collapsed

so its BR or reg dvd for disc use or apple /amazon for digital HD DL

i think
  • Reply 154 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i was sick for a long time

while i was out

i understand the HD dvd format completely collapsed

so its BR or reg dvd for disc use or apple /amazon for digital HD DL

i think

HD movies, as in High Definition, not HD DVD.
  • Reply 155 of 244
    Well it looks like the new iMac is another clear winner in the desktop all-in-one category compared to the $2099 Dell XPS One, HP IQ800t, which at its most expensive only has a Core 2 Duo, and also the Gateway One that carries a Core 2 Quad. BUT...I wouldn't mind Apple Insider doing a comparo of the four benchmark wise. Just to prove to those PC n00bs that Macs are in fact not more expensive, and even more powerful than a comparable PC.
  • Reply 156 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tehpwnerer19 View Post

Well it looks like the new iMac is another clear winner in the desktop all-in-one category compared to the $2099 Dell XPS One, HP IQ800t, which at its most expensive only has a Core 2 Duo, and also the Gateway One that carries a Core 2 Quad. BUT...I wouldn't mind Apple Insider doing a comparo of the four benchmark wise. Just to prove to those PC n00bs that Macs are in fact not more expensive, and even more powerful than a comparable PC.

Don't forget the OS.
  • Reply 157 of 244
    Quote:

Don't forget the OS.

I thought that was a given so I left it out
  • Reply 158 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Did you notice more glare with all that screen real estate?

with brightness turned up to retina scorching levels, it was hard to tell. I was more amazed at the heat it was putting out just doing nothing.
  • Reply 159 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

then buy one from dell

or go to local geek store and bring all extra cables and cards and stuff and trade for it

or do to ebay

or your local craig list

or your local << we love dell geek club <<

if this does not work then email teckserve in nyc and buy a used one

point <----------3 parsecs -------------> you
  • Reply 160 of 244
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

As [extremeskater has] already told us, [he's] a PC'r through and through. Why [does he] continue to be here?

Didn't you get the memo? He's acting out on his inferiority complex. You know, the old, "I'll show those pesky Mac users what's what!"