First Look: Apple's 27" big screen iMac

Comments

• Reply 201 of 244
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Well I am happy Dell had the forthought to include an adapter that I would need to drive the monitor I got. The funny thing about Apple was, they started getting rid of these extra plugs etc, but didn't bother dropping the price to reflect this, it was almost like they were throwing them in for free...

Maybe that is the case, but the idea that the dropping of an adapter from the lineup should have a direct drop in the price is silly. Do you really think those prices ending with ?9? are done for anything other than for psychological marketing? And who knows, the initial dropping of the adapters when they did a refresh while keeping the price the same was because new changes were more costly. It?s possible that less of a net profit was made after the adapter drop. We?ve seen it before and we?ll see it again.
  • Reply 202 of 244
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

point <----------3 parsecs -------------> you

is that half way to the Andromeda ??

l

p

a

e

r

his never ending comment was about how a 2ooo dollar machine needs $9() cable

which i can buy for 3 bucks in nyc

but why should I>>>i have almost every possible adapter or cable ever made for apple or music/tv set ups

i have boxes upon boxes of cables plugs and doodads

so when andromeda crashes into milky way 5 billion yrs from now

i am ready

peace 9
  • Reply 203 of 244
    Quote:

No thanks, I already have a computer I purchased from Dell, it is sitting next to my iMac, and it works really well, and as I said, it came with two free DP-DVI plugs.

As for the other stuff, I'm not really sure what you are going on about

you did not want to pay for that $90 adapter

which is almost free in nyc

so i tried to help you find it cheap

OR did i miss the point of your long but nice post ??
  • Reply 204 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syvalley View Post

What the hey - what is it with this forum?! Seems like every time there's an article or subject I'm interested in (I'm in the market for a new iMac), the thread degrades to personal spatz, usually involving the same players. Teckstud - you need to get a life, preferably outside of this forum (at least for a while) - it'll be good for you.

Yeah, so you post to complain about personal attacks and then proceed to level one on your own.
  • Reply 205 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Thank you for that, syvalley. I couldn't agree more. It is, however, really nice to hear this viewpoint from a newbie.

AI, I seriously hope you are listening.

I'm completely shocked you would take that stance . Your last line sounds like the little kid in grade school who's tattling.
  • Reply 206 of 244
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

you did not want to pay for that $90 adapter

which is almost free in nyc

so i tried to help you find it cheap

OR did i miss the point of your long but nice post ??

Maybe I should have picked up some of those cables last time I was in NYC, i didn't think of it as the MacBook I purchased there had a mini DVI plug in it, and I already had the adapter
  • Reply 207 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Maybe that is the case, but the idea that the dropping of an adapter from the lineup should have a direct drop in the price is silly. Do you really think those prices ending with ?9? are done for anything other than for psychological marketing? And who knows, the initial dropping of the adapters when they did a refresh while keeping the price the same was because new changes were more costly. It?s possible that less of a net profit was made after the adapter drop. We?ve seen it before and we?ll see it again.

I don't think it it silly, you are getting less for your money. Apple did this with the iPod photo, i got the model that had the power plug, and tv cable, and dock included, the new model was sold here for the same price (with the same iPod specs), but without these included, so more money for Apple. It is just another marketing way of putting the price up.
  • Reply 208 of 244
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I don't think it it silly, you are getting less for your money.

You don’t know this. You can’t know this. If you save money by not including an adapter but then spend the value of the money saved on something else then Apple is not getting more money.

Research when Apple dropped the remote and adapters form Macs. Then see if their profit margin increased. While it’s not going to be definitive, an increase in profit margin would at least be an argument in your favour.
  • Reply 209 of 244
    Quote:

You don’t know this. You can’t know this. If you save money by not including an adapter but then spend the value of the money saved on something else then Apple is not getting more money.

Research when Apple dropped the remote and adapters form Macs. Then see if their profit margin increased. While it’s not going to be definitive, an increase in profit margin would at least be an argument in your favour.

Like I said, when I got my 60GB iPod photo, Apple started selling them without the all the accessories for the same price, it was still the same 60GB iPod photo. I am not saying they do it all the time, but they have done it before.
  • Reply 210 of 244
    Quote:

is that half way to the Andromeda ??

l

p

a

e

r

his never ending comment was about how a 2ooo dollar machine needs $9() cable

which i can buy for 3 bucks in nyc

but why should I>>>i have almost every possible adapter or cable ever made for apple or music/tv set ups

i have boxes upon boxes of cables plugs and doodads

so when andromeda crashes into milky way 5 billion yrs from now

i am ready

peace 9

So apple changing plugs to a new model has given you more cables, plugs and doods. Adn after charging 2000$ for a machine, followed by making an absolutely massive profit, they cannot even supply a 9$ cable for their machine?

Yeah, goooo Apple.
  • Reply 211 of 244
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Exactly.

To those complaining that the "trolls" have taken over and AI should do something about it:

Not everyone is a raving Apple fanboi who thinks Apple can do no wrong. Not everyone has the same opinion about everything. Deal with it and grow up!

Oh, and if you do see a post which is actually unacceptable (i.e. it contains a personal attack, not just an opinion you don't like) you can report it by clicking on the red exclamation point toward the bottom left of each post. This will send an email to the admins, who will take the necessary action. We can't read all the threads so must rely on the community to help out with reporting stuff.

Thank you for that.

And to anyone on here that feels I've personally attacked them, I apologize, Arguments get heated sometimes and some of us are simultaneously dealing with other things in addition to posting on AI. We do have a life.

However, I don't think anyone has been more attacked than me on here, yet do I care? NO. Because if you can't discuss things like an adult and resort to childish name callings and stuff like that than that reflects more on you, not me.

Peace.
  • Reply 212 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Give me a break. This isn't the New York Times (and they even screw up as far as the "purists" are concerned). Like it or not this site (and many others) are supported by ad revenue. I was just on three other photography sites earlier this morning and every single one of them have affiliate links to various resellers at the end of their reviews. If you like "free" content, this is how it works.

It you enjoy a site like this, it's how they stay in business. If you are going to go all ultra-legalistic then stick to consumers reports (which you will have to pay for). Otherwise we need to cut the moral indignation crap.

We do? The honest thing to do is simply either mark the article as an advertisement, or disclose the fact that the site is receiving compensation from the linked companies. It enhances credibility, even for a rumor site. It would be a pleasant 'first' for a rumor site to enhance their credibility with these simple disclosures. I've raised this issue in the past, and for a while it looked like it was going to be policy here.
  • Reply 213 of 244
    I don't understand all the complaints about glossy screens. They've been around for a while now. My current iMac is matte, but CRTs were always made of glass and I never had a problem with reflections (but the flicker was horrible).

Why aren't there aren't more complaints about the tiny laptop keyboard? Maybe its because there are alternatives. The only full-sized one is a wired version, but that's what I'll be getting. The PowerMac I bought back in 1999 had a tiny keyboard and I hated it. Is everyone so used to texting on their phones that they are willing to use inferior keyboards with their computers too?

I haven't read all the posts, so someone likely already pointed out that Belkin is working on a HDMI-to-DisplayPort adapter to input other sources into the iMac. If you google "Belkin F2CD007" you will find links to non-existent Belkin webpages.
  • Reply 214 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Thank you for that.

And to anyone on here that feels I've personally attacked them, I apologize, Arguments get heated sometimes and some of us are simultaneously dealing with other things in addition to posting on AI. We do have a life.

However, I don't think anyone has been more attacked than me on here, yet do I care? NO. Because if you can't discuss things like an adult and resort to childish name callings and stuff like that than that reflects more on you, not me.

Peace.

I agree with your comments, thats why even though I may not like you opinions, you never got to the name calling like some other people in this forum and kindergarden behaviour of telling someone to learn how to spell.

Actaully I missed your comments, because there used to be come out of left field and make me think or laugh with amusement.

Glad you are back, but I may regret that sooner than later
  • Reply 215 of 244
    Quote:

Maybe I should have picked up some of those cables last time I was in NYC, i didn't think of it as the MacBook I purchased there had a mini DVI plug in it, and I already had the adapter

i am not proud to live in a world where because of 20 stupid competing standards i have 2 large boxes of used wires plugs doo dadds and such . i refuse ti pollute the landfills so it will continue to grow until so one can take all this junk off my hands .

because i am like millions of other peoples stuck with junk boxes of wires the EU has created a mini usb standard / which calls for a single standard and no more extra cables shipped .

apple has signed that mini usb accord so expect to see no more free cables from apple or many large companies . our earth is already filled with mountains of toxic waste .

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

So apple changing plugs to a new model has given you more cables, plugs and doods. Adn after charging 2000$ for a machine, followed by making an absolutely massive profit, they cannot even supply a 9$ cable for their machine?

Yeah, goooo Apple.

go apple !!!
  • Reply 216 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I agree with your comments, thats why even though I may not like you opinions, you never got to the name calling like some other people in this forum and kindergarden behaviour of telling someone to learn how to spell.

Actaully I missed your comments, because there used to be come out of left field and make me think or laugh with amusement.

Glad you are back, but I may regret that sooner than later

this is going in my sig
  • Reply 217 of 244
    Quote:

i am so stupid o never knew this until a few months a go

it is 100 percent ok and legal to change the format of a product you own

i am converting over 200 movies right now for mac play and ipod 160g play

QUESTION FOR THE BOARD

if i rent a netflix movie

is ripping it ok ??

I don't believe it is technically legal but it probably depends on your intent... in reality tho, I don't think they'd come after you if you were ripping them to watch on a different media and then deleting them... for example, say you're going on a trip and only taking your iPhone. You want to watch a movie on the plane and rent one from Netflix, you rip it and put it on your iPhone and then after you watch it, you delete all copies. I don't think they care.

However, if you rent it from Netflix, then rip it, and keep it as if you purchased it, then no. That's not appropriate.
  • Reply 218 of 244
    Quote:

i am not proud to live in a world where because of 20 stupid competing standards i have 2 large boxes of used wires plugs doo dadds and such . i refuse ti pollute the landfills so it will continue to grow until so one can take all this junk off my hands .

because i am like millions of other peoples stuck with junk boxes of wires the EU has created a mini usb standard / which calls for a single standard and no more extra cables shipped .

apple has signed that mini usb accord so expect to see no more free cables from apple or many large companies . our earth is already filled with mountains of toxic waste .

You know, I hadn't really thought about it, but you're absolutely right... I've got a couple of similar boxes sitting under my desk and have seen drawers and drawers of cables at the office that went straight to the dump after a few years of unuse. We really need to get to one or two standards and stick with them for a long time.
  • Reply 219 of 244
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

The fact that you think you are responsible for Apple changing up the AppleTV interface because you complained on every AppleTV thread on AI and even on threads that had nothing to do with the AppleTV is an unrealistic fantasy. The rest of us made mention that we didn’t like interface changes long ago and wither stopped using it or dealt with it. Some of us even submitted the problems we had the interface changes to Apple. We didn’t come on an in internet forum and complain every day for two years.

1.)You have never made any mention that you did not like the interface for AppleTV- EVER. If anything you thought it was quite sufficient after the Apple remote app was released and its problems therby solved.

2.) How do you know where else I have expressed my disdain for that interface over the last 2 years? Answer- you don't.

3.) You actually believe change occurs by keeping your mouth shut and not voicing disatisfaction. Apple only knows what is right for us.

All you do is lable any disenter a whiner and complainer with your 11,000 plus posts of chearleading every move Apple makes and making up excuses when something is either flat out wrong (AppleTV interface, discontinuation of matte which has now returned to the 15" ) or lacking ( cut and paste, MMS, Video on iPhone, etc).

And this is not a personal attack but fact- plain and simple.
  • Reply 220 of 244
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Which is a US based company, I can't get them locally.

It's called the internet.

Quote:

In that case he should have said that.

Evidently he needs to state the obvious for you. Point noted.

Quote:

That must be a recent change, but when I contacted them not long ago they said they didn't ship here, and I do go back to a site every five minutes to check to see if they do now, and it doesn't help me if it arrives in Wellington, I (along with over 90% of the country) don't live there.

And at US$30 a pound (or 454 grams), are they hand delivering it?

I picked Wellington because that's the only NZ post code I know. Of course, I need to point out the obvious that if they ship to wellington via UPS International that implies that they ship to the rest of NZ as opposed to just one city.

$30 for the FIRST pound. Evidently even the obvious statements elude you.

As to whether it is a recent change or not, I'm sure you can find a HK source (like DX or something similar) that can get you a closer supply. It's not like Monoprice isn't buying from somewhere in China.