First Look: Apple's 27" big screen iMac

Comments

• Reply 181 of 244
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arthurba View Post

I'm particularly interested in the 'real world' affects of Core2 vs i5 vs i7 - in particular for single threaded apps....The i5 and i7 do have a 'turbo mode' which is supposed to automatically overclock the chip if the other cores are underutilised - but the effectiveness of this would be hampered if Snow Leopard overuses those other cores for 'housekeeping' functions like spotlight.

Wonderful post and exactly what I want to know as well.
  • Reply 182 of 244
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syvalley View Post

What the hey - what is it with this forum?! Seems like every time there's an article or subject I'm interested in (I'm in the market for a new iMac), the thread degrades to personal spatz, usually involving the same players. Teckstud - you need to get a life, preferably outside of this forum (at least for a while) - it'll be good for you.

Just because one diverts from the status quo does not mean their voice shouldn't be heard. When was this site ever intended for cheerleaders only? I only use Mac and Apple products. If it weren't for myself and others you would not have video, cut an paste, MMs, etc on your iPhone, matte screens, firewire, your files now at the top of your AppleTV lists and a search for them. The cheerleaders (naysayers) called all of that mentioned above as complaints and whines yet now we have them. Bottom line -the more vocal we are about what we need the more chance we have of getting these requests.

You're welcome.
  • Reply 183 of 244
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Just because one diverts from the status quo does not mean their voice shouldn't be heard.

Exactly.

To those complaining that the "trolls" have taken over and AI should do something about it:

Not everyone is a raving Apple fanboi who thinks Apple can do no wrong. Not everyone has the same opinion about everything. Deal with it and grow up!

Oh, and if you do see a post which is actually unacceptable (i.e. it contains a personal attack, not just an opinion you don't like) you can report it by clicking on the red exclamation point toward the bottom left of each post. This will send an email to the admins, who will take the necessary action. We can't read all the threads so must rely on the community to help out with reporting stuff.
  • Reply 184 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arthurba View Post

I use Office X (under rosetta)

Woah! You could do with upgrading to Office 2008. When it first came out it was rubbish but it's actually not bad now (certainly a heck of a lot better than Office X).
  • Reply 185 of 244
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Bottom line -the more vocal we are about what we need the more chance we have of getting these requests.

You're welcome.

The fact that you think you are responsible for Apple changing up the AppleTV interface because you complained on every AppleTV thread on AI and even on threads that had nothing to do with the AppleTV is an unrealistic fantasy. The rest of us made mention that we didn’t like interface changes long ago and wither stopped using it or dealt with it. Some of us even submitted the problems we had the interface changes to Apple. We didn’t come on an in internet forum and complain every day for two years.

I would bet you are either an only child or the youngest child to think that throwing a tantrum at your age is the best way to get to get things accomplished. I, nor the rest of us, are taking credit for the interface changes. We don’t even know if our requests and concerned were even read. I’d wager that Apple’s execs weren’t happy with the design and changed it on their own. The width of the HDTV makes the current setup much more ideal; something Sony figured out awhile back with the PS3.

Usually I wouldn’t care if someone wants to think they are responsible for something that didn’t have anything to do with, but I fear that your going to even complain more fervently than before in your new delusion. A sad, sad day for us all.
  • Reply 186 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Woah! You could do with upgrading to Office 2008. When it first came out it was rubbish but it's actually not bad now (certainly a heck of a lot better than Office X).

MS Office is still the best suite around.
  • Reply 187 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

yep but its much better under windows than it is under os x.
  • Reply 188 of 244
    Quote:

Without a doubt.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

You have got to be kidding! The UI for Office 2007 is a complete disaster, and it's painfully slow.
  • Reply 189 of 244
    rhbrhb Posts: 10member
    At the risk of alienating most of this board ---

I frankly don't give a hoot about matte vs. glossy, or whether or not there's a BR player/burner on this box (although I respect those who do care, which appears to be about 95% of all posters to this thread). I *do* care about the basic spec of the machine, though.

As someone else noted, this new iMac is almost a cruel tease to those of us who want a much faster box with a big screen, but also require some basic peripheral capabilities (e.g. two FW ports on separate busses, or 1 FW and 1 ESATA). For now (until the next MP refresh, whenever the hell that is), the quad iMac out-specs the MP, and adds a 27" screen, for $300 less than the bare-bones MP -- which is hard to take if I want to upgrade to a desktop with external capabilities, but don't want to spend >$2,500 for it.

I assume that the next MP refresh will add 6-core or whatever, and other niceties that aren't necessarily needed by many of us, and they'll retain the MP price point. ARGH.

What we need (but won't get) is an iMac Pro -- the same quad-core box w/ the 27" screen, but with one or two additional ports. THAT would be fantastic, and I'll bet there would be a robust market for it. There's just a big hole in the "prosumer" range, Apple, and it's turning my hair grey.
  • Reply 190 of 244
    Quote:

You have got to be kidding! The UI for Office 2007 is a complete disaster, and it's painfully slow.
  • Reply 191 of 244
    Quote:

I agree that it?s considerably better in the form of features, but I do love the look and setup of Office for Mac better. I wonder what we can expect with a 64-bit Cocoa version? if they even build one, which I think they will.

Luckily for me, I don?t need these apps anymore so TextEdit serves me RTF/DOC needs just fine.
  • Reply 192 of 244
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

No, you don't. You need a mDP to DP cable. Which costs a whole $4.83. (6 ft)

Again no. You need a mDP to DVI cable. Which costs $8.57. (3 ft)

And wrong for a third time. A mDP to HDMI cable costs $8.42 (3 ft)

Which is a US based company, I can't get them locally.

Quote:

Obviously he means new macs.

In that case he should have said that.

Quote:

Pity you're wrong for the 4th time in the same post. In shipping you have the option of US, Canada and Other Countries. NZ is one of those countries and shipping to Wellington is $30 for the 1st pound.

That must be a recent change, but when I contacted them not long ago they said they didn't ship here, and I do go back to a site every five minutes to check to see if they do now, and it doesn't help me if it arrives in Wellington, I (along with over 90% of the country) don't live there.

And at US$30 a pound (or 454 grams), are they hand delivering it?
  • Reply 193 of 244
    Quote:

I wonder what we can expect with a 64-bit Cocoa version.

Probably something that would be better than the previous version were it not for stupid bugs and craptacularly slow performance, which will eventually be remedied 18 months after the initial release.

Quote:

if they even build one, which I think they will.

They'll have to, not long now till there's no Carbon at all in OS X (maybe even 10.7?)
  • Reply 194 of 244
    Quote:

That is if you want audio out to HDMI to be on the cable. The much easier and cheaper solution is to use optical audio from one device to the other.

Which really limits the audio you can put across it as optical doesn't support HDCP
  • Reply 195 of 244
    Quote:

Thanks. I really don?t understand the hate. We finally get one future-forward, free port interface that is standards-based for the entire Mac line and people bitch bout it.

Maybe it is because there was already a future forward, free port interface that was standards based, and Apple came along and changed it. So if I want to get an external monitor for my son's MacBook, I have the choice of paying Apple for an overpriced monitor, purchasing an expensive cable from Apple, or waiting weeks for a cable to arrive from the US(With US$30 shipping costs!!!)
  • Reply 196 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

then buy one from dell

or go to local geek store and bring all extra cables and cards and stuff and trade for it

or do to ebay

or your local craig list

or your local << we love dell geek club <<

if this does not work then email teckserve in nyc and buy a used one

No thanks, I already have a computer I purchased from Dell, it is sitting next to my iMac, and it works really well, and as I said, it came with two free DP-DVI plugs.

As for the other stuff, I'm not really sure what you are going on about
  • Reply 197 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Maybe it is because there was already a future forward, free port interface that was standards based, and Apple came along and changed it.

Was is the operable word here. The future has caught up with HDMI/DVI signaling.Can?t really see having DL-DVI on a MBA, can we? Your hatred for DP as the future of PC interfaces in favour of the home theater?s HDMI for computers is misplaced and nonsensical. If you don?t like the options Apple gives you because you want to make your Mac into an HTPC, something Apple clearly doesn?t wish to support, then don?t buy a Mac. It?s really that simple.
  • Reply 198 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

it came with two free DP-DVI plugs.

No, it didn?t. Being included does not equate to being free. I am happy that I no longer have drawers filled with unused adapters, cables and other accessories because the the product included them in the price regardless if I needed them of not.
  • Reply 199 of 244
    Quote:

Was is the operable word here. The future has caught up with HDMI/DVI signaling.Can?t really see having DL-DVI on a MBA, can we? Your hatred for DP as the future of PC interfaces in favour of the home theater?s HDMI for computers is misplaced and nonsensical. If you don?t like the options Apple gives you because you want to make your Mac into an HTPC, something Apple clearly doesn?t wish to support, then don?t buy a Mac. It?s really that simple.

You need to calm down a little before you start typing, I don't have any hatred for DP, I have no problems with DP. I have problems forcing people to purchase an adapter to be able to use DP, which is what Apple is doing, miniDP is not the same as DP, just as miniDVI is not DVI, and miniVGA is not VGA
  • Reply 200 of 244
    Quote:

No, it didn?t. Being included does not equate to being free. I am happy that I no longer have drawers filled with unused adapters, cables and other accessories because the the product included them in the price regardless if I needed them of not.

Well I am happy Dell had the forthought to include an adapter that I would need to drive the monitor I got. The funny thing about Apple was, they started getting rid of these extra plugs etc, but didn't bother dropping the price to reflect this, it was almost like they were throwing them in for free...