First Look: Apple's 27" big screen iMac

Comments

• Reply 161 of 244
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

Well in my living room I have two ceiling lights with 3x100 Watt plus 1x40 Watt neon light on the wall. Eight windows are along 3 of the 4 walls and they provide quite a lot of light even at night. The question is not if the home is the same as Apple store, because it is not, but how many light sources there are. One or two can be blocked by moving the screen up/down - left/right, but more than those will always show and reflect. I do not want to watch a movie in a completely dark room without the lights all the times.

Aren't you sick of the excuse that the lighting in the Apple store doesn't reflect (get it) the lighting in your home? As if.......?

I have see them in an office and its distracting to have any 20" to 27 "glossy reflective object 1 1/2 feet away from you eyes no matter where you locate it.
  • Reply 162 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Didn't you get the memo? He's acting out on his inferiority complex. You know, the old, "I'll show those pesky Mac users what's what!"

Not sure how I'm a PC through and through when I own more Apple products then PC products.
  • Reply 163 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2Core View Post

As you have already told us, you are a PC'r through and through. Why do you continue to be here?

I currently own three macbook pros, one iMac, three iPod Touch. Over the years I can assure you I have made several large donations to the Apple store. Get your facts straight
  • Reply 164 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I currently own three macbook pros, one iMac, three iPod Touch. Over the years I can assure you I have made several large donations to the Apple store. Get your facts straight

I've given them over £1,000 in the last two months alone...!
  • Reply 165 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chiphord

I often wonder if the "Blu-Ray disappointment" would be so great if Apple/tech rumors sites didn't insist it was coming this refresh. Who the hell buys Blu-Ray movies anyway?

Haha, try getting out once into the real world once in a while.

I've aleady got a collection so big I don't have room to store anymore. And there are many many people with a lot more BD's than I have.

Just b/c you think Flash movies and/or ripped avi's are the sh!t, doesn't mean a lot of other people don't want the best.
  • Reply 166 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryanbridgwood View Post

I've given them over £1,000 in the last two months alone...!

Last week I was good for around 1700.00 and I have two nephews that want iPods for Christmas.
  • Reply 167 of 244
    What the hey - what is it with this forum?! Seems like every time there's an article or subject I'm interested in (I'm in the market for a new iMac), the thread degrades to personal spatz, usually involving the same players. Teckstud - you need to get a life, preferably outside of this forum (at least for a while) - it'll be good for you.
  • Reply 168 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Sometimes it is simple as apple sells movies on itunes , This why there will never be a blu ray drive on an apple machine NEVER .

Apple is betting on a disc-less world .

Blu ray must come down in price .The world wide race to the bottom in all things media will force blu rays hand. $5 dollar dvd's are showing up at best best already .

You non-BD people should really check your facts. Currently, I'm buying blu-rays cheaper than DVD's. Best Buy and Future Shop here in Canada have a bunch on sale for $9.99 for crying out loud. New-releases are way overpriced, but the same DVD's are *the same* price. So what's your point? That blu-ray movies should be free (now that Pirate Bay is gone)?

Apple isn't betting on anything, they're saving money. Don't forget that turning a Mac into a BD player adds a whole digital rights complication.

BTW, $5 DVD's have been around for a long time. I don't think I've ever purchased one, personally.
  • Reply 169 of 244
    Ordred my Quad Core i5 w/ 8GB of RAM. Now I wait....
  • Reply 170 of 244
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

This is typical Apple, build something that doesn't support what the rest fo the world uses. You can try to put any slant on this you want but there isn't anyone (except you) that doesnt think this entire display port issues is beyond stupid.

Even in the dark deep woods of Canada you may have heard of something called HDMI. You know the standard the rest of the world uses. You cant site quality or premium this time because there isnt any more premium then HDMI.

DisplayPort is an industry standard and preferred by VESA and is royalty free. The only important things related to video that DisplayPort can't do is xvYCC color space. And CEC if you care.

Assuming that the mDP in supports HDCP then in the future there will be a HDMI adaptor for it. It'll be a tad pricey (probably around $200) since it has to convert HDCP to mDP at the correct resolution but there will be a market for such a device.
  • Reply 171 of 244
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

No they didn't, they redesigned the plug to be smaller, while it may be the same spec it is a different port than DP, so to plug a NEW mac into a DP monitor you need an adapter,

No, you don't. You need a mDP to DP cable. Which costs a whole $4.83. (6 ft)

Quote:

to plug it into a DVI monitor you need an adapter,

Again no. You need a mDP to DVI cable. Which costs $8.57. (3 ft)

Quote:

to plug it into a HDMI TV you need an adapter.

And wrong for a third time. A mDP to HDMI cable costs $8.42 (3 ft)

Quote:

Yes, they may have a reason for the smaller port on the Macbook/Macbook pro's, but on the desktops? It is just more cost for no reason.

Or the same port across the entire lineup.

Quote:

No, not every Mac has the same connector, not every Mac can push a 30" display, well not unless Apple hasn't made it to my place yet to retro fit the socket to my Macs.

Obviously he means new macs.

Quote:

The PC vendors are using DP, not mini DP that Apple uses, you have to purchase the adapter from Apple, at a high price... Where do I get Mini DP to DP cables? Where do I get mini DP to HDMI that carries audio with it?

Monoprice.

Quote:

EDIT: I see you can get a mini DP to DP adapter at monoprice for US$4.50, pity you can't use monoprice from overseas, the next best option I could find was A$90

Pity you're wrong for the 4th time in the same post. In shipping you have the option of US, Canada and Other Countries. NZ is one of those countries and shipping to Wellington is $30 for the 1st pound.
  • Reply 172 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syvalley View Post

What the hey - what is it with this forum?! Seems like every time there's an article or subject I'm interested in (I'm in the market for a new iMac), the thread degrades to personal spatz, usually involving the same players. Teckstud - you need to get a life, preferably outside of this forum (at least for a while) - it'll be good for you.

Thank you for that, syvalley. I couldn't agree more. It is, however, really nice to hear this viewpoint from a newbie.

AI, I seriously hope you are listening.
  • Reply 173 of 244
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Sometimes it is simple as apple sells movies on itunes , This why there will never be a blu ray drive on an apple machine NEVER .

Apple is betting on a disc-less world .

Blu ray must come down in price .The world wide race to the bottom in all things media will force blu rays hand. $5 dollar dvd's are showing up at best best already .

Nicely put, Bruce.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

No, you don't. You need a mDP to DP cable. Which costs a whole $4.83. (6 ft)

[…]

Pity you're wrong for the 4th time in the same post. In shipping you have the option of US, Canada and Other Countries. NZ is one of those countries and shipping to Wellington is $30 for the 1st pound.

Thanks. I really don’t understand the hate. We finally get one future-forward, free port interface that is standards-based for the entire Mac line and people bitch bout it.

PS: Here is a little treat for some of you. It’s a bunch of reviews of the original Mac from 1984. What I find finny is how 25 years later the same complaints still exists.
  • Reply 174 of 244
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syvalley View Post

I have just finished sending an email to AppleInsider about this very issue. If they don't act to control this crap they will wish they had. When the trolls take over a forum it's lights out. Just take a look at the Mac usenet newsgroups to see what I mean.
  • Reply 175 of 244
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

This iMac should finally shut people up about the iMac not being "pro" enough or ignoring the pro market (Note I said "Should" - we can only hope people will be reasonable but I don't count on it)

My mom had the original white Intel iMac and while it would normally be more then adequate, she is starting to get more in to Aperture with her digital photography and sadly that box just doesn't have the umph to keep up even with basic use. We visited a local Apple store to check out the new 27" and were simply blown away. The new screen is absolutely GORGEOUS and I am very jealous - I wish Apple would hurry up and update the 30" or make that 27" panel available in a stand-alone display.

Needless to say, I helped her back her system up, we erased it and sold it Since the i7 upgrade is pretty reasonable, even though it's probably overkill we still picked it - it's not like you can add it later and I've never regretted oversizing a system It's on order and will hopefully be shipped closer to the beginning of November rather then the end. She's getting by with her MacBook for now.

This machine, even when fully tricked out, is an incredible value. I still wish Apple would make the video modular so you can upgrade it, but with the CPU choices and the ability to go to 16 gigs of RAM it just got that much harder to justify getting a Mac Pro. I still love mine, but this iMac would have been very hard to pass up, especially with the awesome display. If you are a student or living in a small apartment, the ability to feed in whatever video signal you want for a display is huge - one minute it's a computer, the next it's a TV - awesome feature and long overdue for the iMac's.

If i were to bet nit-picky, my final two complaints are the aforementioned video not being upgradeable, and for storage an eSATA port would be a real boon - esp. if it supported port multiplication. Then you really wouldn't need a Pro for all but those that require additional expansion cards. I also wish they would have offered matte as an option. Not that I want it, but just to shut up the inevitable whining that will now plague this thread and others for what is otherwise an incredible machine.

$100 cheaper then the 30" display - wow....

I hope you are right that this will shut people up about the iMac not being 'professional' enough to be for 'real' work.

I have been making the argument to my IT department for over a year that an iMac would made a great replacement for the G5 & dual 19 inch LCDs that I've been using for several years now. I finally got an upgrade this summer and the IT department gave me what they thought would be best: a new Mac Pro and no new displays, I'm still using the dual 19" LCDs.

Don't get me wrong, it is a great Mac and I'm thankful to get any upgrade in this economy! Still, I use Illustrator all day long doing retail package design which is high precision work and more screen real estate to zoom in further & still see as much of my layout as possible would be so great. All my work is done over the network on a local file server so HD space is not an issue. I am remotely backed up to the mothership server, so Time Machine is not necessary.

Today I am at home where I am working in Photoshop & Lightroom on my year and a half old 24" iMac developing photographs of my girlfriend's jewelry for her website. I'd argue that what I'm doing today is more processor & memory intensive work than the Illustrator packaging design I do at work. Still, I don't feel that my iMac is limiting my productivity at all. I can definitely say that the big screen is making my work more enjoyable! Perhaps it is making me more productive too.

I wish I was in the market for a new iMac right now. This new one is by far the best Mac of any kind Apple has ever made! I really like the MBPs, but this is just about perfect.

Maybe by the time I am in the market they will have Blu Ray.
  • Reply 176 of 244
    Quote:

Monoprice.

only if you watn some USB/mDP monstrosity that has to be combined with an HDMI cord as well
  • Reply 177 of 244
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

only if you watn some USB/mDP monstrosity that has to be combined with an HDMI cord as well

That is if you want audio out to HDMI to be on the cable. The much easier and cheaper solution is to use optical audio from one device to the other.

Of course, that will likely change once audio gets implemented to DP. It?s in the spec, but I don?t think anyone has done it yet.

If your goal is to connect PCs to HDTVs and OCD stipulates that is much be one cord without adapters, then a Mac is likely not a good fit. Personally, I never found this a problem since my HDTV isn?t pushing sound.
  • Reply 178 of 244
    m3mm3m Posts: 7member
    If I will be light on editing video and gaming, but will use architectural and graphic design software that spikes usage of the computer's CPU for rendering functions, would I notice a big difference between dual and quad core processors? Between the 256 and 512 graphics cards? I suppose I am asking for something usually missing from benchmarking oriented reviews: a sentence or short paragraph that distinguishes between video-intensive and graphic-intensive uses. Thanks.
  • Reply 179 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A full review with performance benchmarks will be presented next week, so present any questions you'd like to see answered.

I'm particularly interested in the 'real world' affects of Core2 vs i5 vs i7 - in particular for single threaded apps.

As a software developer and long-time user of Mac the majority of the software I use is single threaded, probably CS3 (which I fire up at most once a week) is the only 'real' threaded app I use - and 'Dreamweaver' appears about as threaded as a ball of wool (ie: not at all). Otherwise I use Office X (under rosetta) and terminal and gcc..

Basically I can 'see' the value of the Core2 in my MacAir (one core does all the 'MacOS' stuff and the other core gets all the 'real' tasks - but I'm sceptical that a core i5 or core i7 would really make much difference - perhaps even be slower - than a core2.

The i5 and i7 do have a 'turbo mode' which is supposed to automatically overclock the chip if the other cores are underutilised - but the effectiveness of this would be hampered if Snow Leopard overuses those other cores for 'housekeeping' functions like spotlight.
  • Reply 180 of 244
    Quote:

DisplayPort is an industry standard and preferred by VESA and is royalty free. The only important things related to video that DisplayPort can't do is xvYCC color space. And CEC if you care.

Assuming that the mDP in supports HDCP then in the future there will be a HDMI adaptor for it. It'll be a tad pricey (probably around $200) since it has to convert HDCP to mDP at the correct resolution but there will be a market for such a device.

VESA had a long track record of developing unsuccessful digital interface standards. Obsolete is a word often seen next to their video standards.