Apple's latest 10.6.2 beta packs fixes for VMWare, iMacs, Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leafy View Post

Hopefully the 'vmware fix' mentioned is related to the VMWare Fusion 3.0 mds/mdworker issue that renders the system almost unresponsive. Now we know who the murderer is.

sooOOooo, that's the issue with my MB getting almost unusable since I've got 3.0 on it...

d@mmit!
  • Reply 42 of 83
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richardk32 View Post

Will this update fix the persistent freezes in both Safari and Foxfire that seem to be related to Flash content? Oddly, Mail freezes too, so I'm not sure about the Flash, but it's really bothersome.

Well it says it fixes a performance issue with the new iMacs to do with wireless. If wireless was the problem all along, that would explain why the site that originally reported the bug couldn't reproduce it: most companies have wired networks.

It would be interesting for someone who is having this issue to temporarily try a wired network and see if it fixes it.
  • Reply 43 of 83
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

sooOOooo, that's the issue with my MB getting almost unusable since I've got 3.0 on it...

d@mmit!

mdworker is the program that finds keywords for Spotlight. Maybe try putting your Virtual Machines folder in the Spotlight privacy list.
  • Reply 44 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I honestly haven't used Windows 7 enough to give a solid opinion. However I do believe that Vista bad rap has been overstated and Window 7 hype has also been a bit overstated.

Maybe because I understand the internals of how an OS works problems most likely do not bother me the same way they would an average user. I don't really see a major advantage going to Windows 7 because Vista has really worked fine for me.

I also always use x64 systems even with XP which seem to give me less problems then 32bit systems (x86).

Panther and Tiger I feel were far better then Leopard and even SL. Cheetah was pretty slow. So far I would have to say SL has been better then Leopard which had alot of issue to start.

With all these bashing each other over Win vs Mac I always ask my self "Who are you" and "What's your skills?" I tend to say I'm bi-lingual. I can do Win and I can do Mac. I find problems with both of them. The thing is that I can solve them. I know a bit about networking, I'm pretty good at computer systems and some how I find it relatively easy to isolate and eliminate problems.

But what if your are not that interested in the computer as such? If you only want it to work? Get connected to wifi all the time, do Word, Excel, Mail and surfing the internet? Maybe your best qualifications are writing books, rehersing theatre or something else which has nothing to do with technology.

I think your opinion will wary quite a lot. When you throw words on each other - could you give me some insight on this backround info?
  • Reply 45 of 83
    Is this possibly what is holding up the i5/i7 shipping date? I ordered an i7 the day it came out, and the ship date still says 'November'....
  • Reply 46 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You are indeed "stunned" in the 1970's pejorative sense of the term. i.e.- ignorant (of the facts), and quasi-illiterate (in terms your grammatical structure.)

And when you don't have an intelligent response you resort to the sentence structure?
  • Reply 47 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

There is no such thing as bug free software. I believe the gist of the thread was that for the vast majority of folks, SL has been a solid release with no major bugs.

No that wasn't the gist of the thread. The gist of the thread was that some people look past the problems that people have been having, or don't use their machines the same way, and were telling us that we were wrong about the performance and stability of SL that we have been experiencing.

Quote:

If you're going to troll, you could at least try to be a little less obvious.

Can it really be trolling if it's obvious? Seems like that would be a total defeat of the trolling concept. Was it trolling when I said that I wasn't impressed with the stability and performance last week and had multiple blind followers, like yourself, tell us that we were full of crap?
  • Reply 48 of 83
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    Do any of you actually have issues with Snow Leopard? Because it seems like everyone is running 10.6.1 just great.

I don't. I have a clean install on both my Macbook Pro and iMac, and have lot's of annoying issues: very frequent beach balls, total freezes of a couple of seconds, the save dialogs in my apps take 10 seconds to appear, random crashes, etc. These last days it feels like working back on windows :-(

Not to mention the bugs!

- Adding contacts to the Address book from Mail simply does not work

- Syncing Address book and Google results in duplicate and messed up contacts

- Mail does not seem to be able to remember my SMTP password

- Finder, Mail, QuickTime and Safari crashes
  • Reply 49 of 83
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    That was actually funny. Good job.

PS:

I haven't had one issue with Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, that is very hard to grasp.

I was really hoping for a logical explanation for your persistent passive-aggressiveness, but as justflybob points out just above your post, there is none. You disappoint yet again....

I don't think there's anything passive-aggressive about his behavior at all; he's overtly aggressive. Basically, I believe he's here because he has, for some reason, a misdirected anger and hostility toward Apple and Mac users, rooted in his own sense of inferiority and powerlessness, and he uses AI as an outlet for expressing that anger and hostility. It's also possible that his hostility is more general and he does this on several forums on different topics, but, probably, in all cases, he directs it toward some specific entity that he feels receives undue recognition, recognition that he craves himself.
  • Reply 51 of 83
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    I feel like I've dropped into a Freudian dream
  • Reply 52 of 83
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hagar View Post

Do any of you actually have issues with Snow Leopard? Because it seems like everyone is running 10.6.1 just great.

I don't. I have a clean install on both my Macbook Pro and iMac, and have lot's of annoying issues: very frequent beach balls, total freezes of a couple of seconds, the save dialogs in my apps take 10 seconds to appear, random crashes, etc. These last days it feels like working back on windows :-(

Not to mention the bugs!

- Adding contacts to the Address book from Mail simply does not work

- Syncing Address book and Google results in duplicate and messed up contacts

- Mail does not seem to be able to remember my SMTP password

- Finder, Mail, QuickTime and Safari crashes

Yeah... I've noticed Mail seems to be kind of hit and miss. I just assumed it was ATT, my DSL and e-mail provider. Hopefully the coming update will improve this situation for me. I have also noted more beach balls than I would like to see, and just the other day my wife called me and asked why the computer was hung. The mouse was responsive, but nothing else. I wasn't home and had her do a hard reboot.

All that said, I've been quite pleased with SL. I haven't as of yet upgraded to Fusion 3.0, and now I'm glad I have waited this long. I'm planning on upgrading to 3.0 soon and also blowing away my existing XP bootcamp partition and installing a new Win7 bootcamp/VM partition.
  • Reply 53 of 83
    Hello, this is my first post here. I wish you all, girls and guys, a good day.

Now, to matters:

Since I upgraded to Snow Leopard, I could no longer log to my College eduroam network. This happened to 13 iMacs and Macbooks in my department alone. My Macbook is alive and well in my house, and connects with not a single hiccup in all the coffee shops I know.

As far as I can tell, this problem with eduroam networks is happening in other institutions, not only in Portugal, where I live, but throughout Europe. (See the Apple forum threads on this subject...)

So, will Apple fix this bug? Please? Please?
  • Reply 54 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monobazus View Post

Hello, this is my first post here. I wish you all, girls and guys, a good day.

Now, to matters:

Since I upgraded to Snow Leopard, I could no longer log to my College eduroam network. This happened to 13 iMacs and Macbooks in my department alone. My Macbook is alive and well in my house, and connects with not a single hiccup in all the coffee shops I know.

As far as I can tell, this problem with eduroam networks is happening in other institutions, not only in Portugal, where I live, but throughout Europe. (See the Apple forum threads on this subject...)

So, will Apple fix this bug? Please? Please?

Monobazus, this is not an official support forum. Although you may hear about some sort of workaround 2nd hand via these forums, the proper place to submit issues is on the Apple site.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    Quote:

Monobazus, this is not an official support forum. Although you may hear about some sort of workaround 2nd hand via these forums, the proper place to submit issues is on the Apple site.

I know that. And I did complain in the proper place, i.e., to Apple phone support in Portugal. They said to me they were not aware of the problem. Not aware of the problem? Wtf?

Being a dedicated Apple user for more than 20 years, I think I'm entitled to a bit of sarcasm, on a matter that affects SO MANY Mac users.

I'm as much an Apple fanboy as anybody else here, but I am a bit tired of being left behind in my college, in matters of wifi networking. (And, no, it's not the fault of the Campus system admin).

So, what I'm saying here is that SL is a step backwards compared to Leopard, as far as I can tell from my experience with wifi networking. And in this case it's Apple's fault, no doubt about it.

Just my two cents.

Cheers.
  • Reply 56 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Well it says it fixes a performance issue with the new iMacs to do with wireless. If wireless was the problem all along, that would explain why the site that originally reported the bug couldn't reproduce it: most companies have wired networks.

It would be interesting for someone who is having this issue to temporarily try a wired network and see if it fixes it.

Interestingly, my network is both. I'm hardwired into a Time Capsule attached to the cable modem, but I'm wireless to an appleTV, and all the other Macs in the house are wireless too, as is the AirPort Express at the far end of the house as a repeat point for network and music. My daughter's Mac keeps dropping net connections, even though it's only 30 feet and one sheet rock wall away.
  • Reply 57 of 83
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hagar View Post

I've had no problems (but I don't use some of the slightly more offbeat (to me) Apple technologies like disk encryption or Time Machine.)
  • Reply 58 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monobazus View Post

I know that. And I did complain in the proper place, i.e., to Apple phone support in Portugal. They said to me they were not aware of the problem. Not aware of the problem? Wtf?

Being a dedicated Apple user for more than 20 years, I think I'm entitled to a bit of sarcasm, on a matter that affects SO MANY Mac users.

I'm as much an Apple fanboy as anybody else here, but I am a bit tired of being left behind in my college, in matters of wifi networking. (And, no, it's not the fault of the Campus system admin).

So, what I'm saying here is that SL is a step backwards compared to Leopard, as far as I can tell from my experience with wifi networking. And in this case it's Apple's fault, no doubt about it.

Just my two cents.

Cheers.

No worries. I was thinking you might be expecting this to be the proper place to get formal help

I think for most folks SL is fine, but for those hit by the bugs that do exist, it's irritating.

Any major upgrade should be approached with caution. I keep a 'previous version' partition around for just such an occasion and just dual-boot until they resolve the issue. It's a rather simple way to work around it. Just boot into the earlier version of OS X when I'm using a function that's affected by a bug.

From the sound of it, I'll be getting the fix for my issue in 10.6.2, so I'm happy about that.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    Quote:

My wife's iMac has had all kinds of issues since the upgrade to SL, sadly.

1. For some reason, the TiVO sync on her Roxio Toast died. very annoying to her, as she moves a lot of TiVOed shows to her iPhone to watch while she travels. (We even upgraded to the latest version of Toast (10 platinum) and there's an outstanding issue with SL and the TiVO connector. (Was no issue in Leopard, sadly)

2. Random incompatibilities with older software. (I know SL went to a more unified 64-bit architecture, but I would have thought their 32-bit emulation would have been more robust, or at least more "compatible".)

As a relatively new Mac adopter, it's annoyed her so much she asked if I could revert her back to Leopard, an OS which she loved and had no problems with. (I informed her that I'd rather NOT, just to make sure I didn't screw up any of her other working pieces of software.) But I guess I learned that the lesson I got from years of MS products is also true of Apple: "Don't adopt the new OS until at least 6 months have passed." (MS corollary: "Until SP1")

I still prefer (and recommend) Apple to folks, but I guess I just learned that there are some consistencies across all software manufacturers.

Cheers!
  • Reply 60 of 83
    So are Front Row and iTunes FINALLY 64-bit?!